[KERNEL] Custom Kernel for YP-G1 USA + INTL (5/3/12) [UPDATE: R3]

Search This thread

klin1344

Nov 11, 2011
Sorry for being dense, but why does the computer have to be connected to do this? A file manager on the player could do the renames. And some text editor could modify the nandroid.md5. So there's something very basic and important that I'm missing. Thanks.

I just thought it would be easier to do it on the computer. Whatever way works for you is fine.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

sga999

Mar 13, 2012
Klin, I'm trying to get back to rfs on /system. RIght now, it is ext4. I never specifically tried to convert to ext4. But I think it must have happened when I installed the icy fusion rom. The others (cache, data, etc). are all rfs. Now I have gone back to the stock, deodexed rom, and I have your R3 kernel installed.

So I did a nandroid backup. I rebooted, renamed system.ext4.tar to system.rfs.tar, edited nandroid.md5 to reflect that change. I went into cwm and did advanced restore to restore ONLY system. When I reboot, if I do a mount in terminal emulator, it still shows /system as ext4. Am I missing some step that will help me get it back to rfs?

I know I can do a full restore, but I'm trying to do just this single step right now, i.e. I only want to change system back to rfs. Thanks.

sga999

Mar 13, 2012
Klin, I want to say a little more about why I want to go back to rfs for /system (see my prior post, right above this one).

I use Route 66 Maps and Navigation app. I have a friend with this player who told me his downloaded maps automatically went to the external sd card. I had not installed this app until AFTER I flashed the Icy Fusion rom. And my maps will NOT go to the external! They go to "SD card storage", as reported by Quick System Info Pro.

I know that one of the differences in this player with/without that rom is how /system is mounted, ext4 or rfs. So....even though this may have nothing to do with my map problem, I was trying to eliminate one possibility at a time. Once I revert to rfs, if it still fails to download maps to the external sd card, I don't know what to try next. So maybe you can help!

I'd still like to know how to revert to rfs, even if it doesn't fix my map problem. And if it doesn't, do you know what might be causing this with your Icy Fusion rom? I realize this is the thread for your kernel, not your rom. But to be honest, I'm not sure where the problem lies (but I think it's the rom)! That's why I was trying to eliminate things, one by one.

It's very easy to test. Just install Route 66 Maps and Navigation and download a map. You'll see that it goes to the internal, not the external sd.

Thanks very much.

An1mus

Oct 21, 2012
Nassau
Any one can post a new link for the kernel

Sent from my YP-G70 using xda app-developers app

klemmaniac

Jul 24, 2014
Does this Kernel work well with 2.3.6 on a YP-G1 (us version)? Also I'm confused on whether this includes a ROM or if I need to download or 'flash' a ROM with it for it to work. My goal is to use Voodoo sound and get it installed on my player for improved music quality. Thanks.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Klin's Custom Kernel for YP-G1 USA and INTL
    Latest Version: R3

This is a custom kernel that I made based off of STeVE's 3.0 sources. (He gave me permission to release this) I will be adding more features and continue to develop it. The sources are here: https://github.com/klin1344/Galaxy-Player-4.0-Kernel
    Please be patient if there are problems as this is my first kernel and everything is still a learning process for me. (I'm completely new to Linux) Enjoy :).

Disclamer: I will not be responsible if you brick your device or if any weird stuff happens.

R1 features:
    - EXT4 support (See instructions in 2nd post on how to convert to EXT4)
    - Insecure kernel (root in ADB)
    - All features from STeVE's 3.0 kernel

R2 features:
    - Improve touch screen responsiveness
    - Custom bootanimation support; the kernel will look in both /data/local/ or /system/media/ for bootanims
    - Netarchy/coolbho3ks SoD patch from Entropy512's source (allows you to use screen off profiles of under 800Mhz)
    - Lots of tweaks and mods for overall performance and responsiveness

R3 features
    - Ported ClockWorkMod 5.2.0.7 from semaphore kernel source for the I9000
    - Raised FPS cap to 72
    - Raised RAM from 341 MB to 352 MB
    --Doing this would break HD video recording and taking photos while taking videos on the I9000, but our device has none of those features, so it shouldn't have any issues.
    - More reliable and easier way of converting to EXT4 (see below) (thanks zaclimon for the advice)

How to install:
    Check the PDA slot and flash the .tar in ODIN. Or if you're on Linux, extract the zImage from the .tar and flash with Heimdall.

All releases are here: http://www.mediafire.com/?m1bjqojv5ln6o

Thanks to:
    - Entropy512 and rumirand for their kernel sources
    - STeVE for his custom kernel and source
    - Many kernel devs in other SGS and Nexus S forums for their kernel sources as well
    - zaclimon for testing initial release and helping me with MD5 mismatch issues
    If you appreciate my work and want to encourage me to continue developing, don't post "thanks", just click it! ;)
    How to convert to EXT4​
    Instructions are for R3 only​

1. Flash my kernel.
    2. Make sure you have about 14 MB free space on /system.
    3. Boot into CWM recovery and do a full nandroid backup.
    4. Reboot, and from your computer go to the CWM backup directory on your sd card.
    5. Change all the files from ".rfs.tar" to ".ext4.tar".
    6. Open nandroid.md5 with a text editor and change all the ".rfs.tar" to ".ext4.tar". Save and close.
    7. Eject the device from your computer FIRST. This step is crucial. Then disconnect from your player.
    8. Reboot to CWM recovery and do a full restore.

Note: If you're using R5 of my KlassicROM then system is already EXT4.

Thanks to zaclimon for advising me to eject from computer first
    I think I have it laying around somewhere, just a second...

EDIT: Here you go; http://db.tt/ws7on4Nj
    Sent from my YP-G1 running LinromV2
    Updated to R3.
    Converting to EXT4 should be much easier now due to the new way that CWM 5.2.0.7 does nandroid backups.