[HOWTO] ClockworkMod Recovery & TWRP - Upgrade/Downgrade (Touch/Non-Touch Recovery)

Search This thread

PorchSong

Nov 28, 2007
Denver
And how am I supposed to get su permissions without CWM?

Well, if you are rooted then you either already have Superuser or SuperSU on your phone. If not, then go download from market. Furthermore, you can also execute these commands via adb console from your computer while in recovery. Just do an "adb shell" then follow other commands. Pm me if you need help.

Sent from my rooted Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Chewy11

Sep 30, 2010
Montreal
NICE
I have some hope, I have a Hercules with a fried USB/charge port(otherwise fully functional).
Does anyone know If root is possible without USB (wireless ADB?). I did some goggling about how to do this a while back but hit a wall.
ANY ideas welcome about how to get root on my device!
Thanks.

NICE
I have some hope, I have a Hercules with a fried USB/charge port(otherwise fully functional).
Does anyone know If root is possible without USB (wireless ADB?). I did some goggling about how to do this a while back but hit a wall.
ANY ideas welcome about how to get root on my device!
Thanks.

I just came across this app in the the Play Store. It's by dev Chainfire (SuperSU dev) - Mobile Odin. Let us know how it works out for you.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...EwMiwiZXUuY2hhaW5maXJlLm1vYmlsZW9kaW4ucHJvIl0.

new ion?

Jan 2, 2012
Victoria, BC
I think the big question, (i'm already rooted and have installed TWRP) is can this be done without root?

my buddy is looking for a way to root the phone, but he's without computer at the moment.

tomasitoc

Aug 21, 2008
California
The op says download the img file. The file is downloaded as a zip file.
Is there something wrong that I did when I did the download?

B

boobalooby

so i must be some sort of dumb moronic retard but i did as instructed, terminal emulator stated no such file / directory found - something like. tried it multiple times, rebooted, retried, etc. so i moved file into my sdcard folder since its titled 'sdcard' and ran the command again. my reasoning was since the command was directed to a folder titled 'sdcard' it would work if i put it in the folder called 'sdcard'. well......BRICKED! at least its stuck on boot up where it says 'samsung'. can't get any further than that.

PorchSong

Nov 28, 2007
Denver
I updated the OP for TWRP (second post). Please note that the new TWRP 2.3.0.0 is NOT restoring backups properly--it seems to factory reset your backups upon reboot (asking you to sign back into your Google account and all your apps are gone). But, your backups made with 2.3.0.0 are still good and can be restored with 2.2.2.0. So, I attached TWRP 2.2.2.0 to the second post. Just download and rename to recovery.img and follow instructions. Again, make sure you save it to the root directory of your internal sd card and enter the command precisely to avoid bricking.

Reactions: Óðinsdagr

ipeench

Jun 29, 2010
Chicago
why can i not upgrade my recovery through rom manager? whats the point of me even having rom manager if i dont have the latest updates and nothing in there download is worth it to me?

duckied

Apr 5, 2010
Chi-Town
hey PorchSong, for some reason my TWRP won't let me install any zip anymore. it just say "simulating actions" then "updating partition details" but doesn't do anything i tried v2.2.0.0 and v2.3.1.1.

DevilDogg

Feb 1, 2012
Upgraded my cwm version with this method and now my phone is bricked, wont boot, and freezes when i boot into recovery...

Last edited:

bounce8

Jul 28, 2009
so i must be some sort of dumb moronic retard but i did as instructed, terminal emulator stated no such file / directory found - something like. tried it multiple times, rebooted, retried, etc. so i moved file into my sdcard folder since its titled 'sdcard' and ran the command again. my reasoning was since the command was directed to a folder titled 'sdcard' it would work if i put it in the folder called 'sdcard'. well......BRICKED! at least its stuck on boot up where it says 'samsung'. can't get any further than that.

SaMe here. Followed the instructions and hard bricked my phone. I don't even get the Samsung logo... Stinks bad

achensherd

Sep 21, 2007

I was about to do what you did (moving the recovery.img to /sdcard), but instead edited the command in the OP reflecting the fact that the "internal SD" in my S2 is named "emmc" like so:

dd if=/emmc/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p22

Worked like a charm. I didn't start freaking out until I read what happened to you. :( Were you able to recover?

why can i not upgrade my recovery through rom manager? whats the point of me even having rom manager if i dont have the latest updates and nothing in there download is worth it to me?

The last time I tried to update CWM via ROM Manager (like a month ago), it soft-bricked my S2. It could very well have been a fluke, but after that experience... ehh... I'll do things manually, thank you very much. ;)

supraman89

Jul 29, 2010
San Antonio
This also works with changing to and from TWRP. Download the image (for our phones it's TWRP 2.3.0.0) rename it to recovery.img and follow the above instructions and you are good to go.

Follow this link to get the image file: http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/101

***It appears TWRP 2.3.0.0 is NOT restoring nandroids properly. I will attach the old TWRP 2.2.2.0.***

Thank you so much for having this posted, the newest version still gives me errors renaming backups and just wasn't as stable as this version

romulus86

Oct 9, 2012
TWRP 2.3.1.1 install via ODIN

Has anyone been successful in installing the latest TWRP through ODIN? I've downloaded the file three times, from links here and from the TWRP website, and when I try to install it via ODIN it fails.

android2.0

Oct 17, 2011
toronto
This also works with changing to and from TWRP. Download the image (for our phones it's TWRP 2.3.0.0) rename it to recovery.img and follow the above instructions and you are good to go.

***It appears TWRP 2.3.0.0 is NOT restoring nandroids properly. I will attach the old TWRP 2.2.2.0.***

how would i install TWRP if i have already put CWM on my phone??

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [HOWTO] ClockworkMod Recovery & TWRP - Upgrade/Downgrade (Touch/Non-Touch Recovery)

IF YOU TRASH YOUR PHONE USING THIS PROCEDURE, THEN IT IS A VERY GOOD INDICATION YOU ARE AN IDIOT AND SHOULD NOT BE FLASHING ANY ROMS NOR PARTICIPATING ON THESE FORUMS. . . . JUST SAYIN'. . . .

Please be VERY careful when using this method as you can brick your phone. Make sure you triple check the file you downloaded is the right size and placed in the right area, but most importantly that the command lines you type are exactly right. If you are not comfortable using this method, then please do not and go find a flashable version of these recoveries.

I've posted a procedure to format/'flash' your recovery while on your phone in one of the threads on here and was asked by a Forum Mod to make a quickie guide to be placed as a sticky on the dev boards so others might benefit.

Anyway, here is a very quick and easy way to change your ClockworkMod recovery with a couple of command lines.

The TWRP link is in the second post.

Now for the ClockworkMod Instructions:

1. First, go here and look up your ClockworkMod recovery that pertains to your phone: http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager
    2. Download the .img file for your phone and save it on your computer.
    3. Rename the .img file to recovery.img and save it to your internal sd card of your phone. For example: recovery-clockwork-6.0.1.4-hercules.img ------> recovery.img
    4. Open up Terminal Emulator on your phone and type the following 2 commands:

su
    dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p22

(please note the second command is a one line command with spaces between "dd & if=" and ".img & of=")

If your Rom identifies your internal sdcard as /emmc instead of /sdcard, then make the adjustment to command line (dd if=/emmc/recovery.img) instead of what is posted above.

That simple.

You can also issue these commands from adb shell if you are connected to your computer.

If Terminal Emulator does not have Superuser or SuperSU permissions for root privileges then make sure it does. You can also go from NON Touch CWM to Touch CWM using this and vice versa. Simply make sure you have the right recovery for your phone and rename it to recovery.img.

As for explanations:

dd if= command is a common Unix program whose primary purpose is the low-level copying and conversion of raw data.

dd stands for "data description"
    if stands for "input file"
    of stands for "output file"

the = is the location of the data you are using. ie. /sdcard/recovery.img

the /dev/block/mmcblk0p22 is the location/partition of the recovery on your phone.

So essentially you are doing a low level rewrite of the recovery image on your phone via command lines.

***Also, the best way to remember this command line is to not to. Copy the command line and save it to your own personal contact info in Google under Notes and then you will have it with you wherever you go. You really do not want to mess with getting it wrong. You could brick your phone if you mess things up.

Anyway, I hope this helps. . . . it really is very easy to execute without fault.
    Works with TWRP too.

This also works with changing to and from TWRP. Download the image (for our phones it's TWRP 2.3.1.1) rename it to recovery.img and follow the above instructions and you are good to go.

***I attached the old TWRP 2.2.2.0 is case you run into problems with the newer versions not restoring backups properly or renaming backups correctly.***
    Thanks for the instructions! Thanks even more for explaining the command lines.
    Give this a try

If you want a simple way to flash the Touch Recovery then give this a try. I will be adding the Hard Recovery as well in the next release.

SGSII T989 Root Toolkit
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1650908
    I updated the OP for TWRP (second post). Please note that the new TWRP 2.3.0.0 is NOT restoring backups properly--it seems to factory reset your backups upon reboot (asking you to sign back into your Google account and all your apps are gone). But, your backups made with 2.3.0.0 are still good and can be restored with 2.2.2.0. So, I attached TWRP 2.2.2.0 to the second post. Just download and rename to recovery.img and follow instructions. Again, make sure you save it to the root directory of your internal sd card and enter the command precisely to avoid bricking.