[Q] E: failed to mount /data (Invalid argument) on stock S5

Search This thread

notaneggspert

Mar 30, 2014
I have a completely stock S5 that's up to date I got the phone 43 days ago from amazon.com no bad drops or water damage. Today my phone powered off while I was in the car playing music with power amp and rebooted.

It gets passed the Samsung Galaxy S5 powered by Android boot screen animation and gets stuck at the red Verizon screen. So far I've pulled the battery/sim/sd and tried booting with and without sim/sd and I get the same screen.

When I boot into recovery by holding up/power/home I get these errors I guess the next step is to factory reset from the recovery or should I start with ODIN? I'm not really familiar with the back end of the S5 since I didn't want to trip the KNOXs so I haven't bothered trying to root or even enter download mode/recovery until now.

kilroy1stcav

Apr 21, 2008
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I have a completely stock S5 that's up to date I got the phone 43 days ago from amazon.com no bad drops or water damage. Today my phone powered off while I was in the car playing music with power amp and rebooted.

It gets passed the Samsung Galaxy S5 powered by Android boot screen animation and gets stuck at the red Verizon screen. So far I've pulled the battery/sim/sd and tried booting with and without sim/sd and I get the same screen.

When I boot into recovery by holding up/power/home I get these errors I guess the next step is to factory reset from the recovery or should I start with ODIN? I'm not really familiar with the back end of the S5 since I didn't want to trip the KNOXs so I haven't bothered trying to root or even enter download mode/recovery until now.

It looks like all errors are in your /data folder so it got corrupted some how, I would try just wiping cache first setting if that clears things, I doubt it, but you can hope, but wiping data/factory reset should fix it.