[Q] Disastrous experience with Gear 2 paired to a non-Samsung phone?

Search This thread

mpogr

Jan 16, 2008
Melbourne
Hi all!

When I bought my Gear 2 Neo to use with my HTC One M8, I knew it was not officially supported, but I read some encouraging posts here on XDA, so I decided to give it a go. So far, my overall experience has been completely dreadful:
  • Battery Life! When I saw 30% per hour drain on my Gear 2 (with not too much of "display on" time), I thought I've got a defective device. However, things came immediately back to normal when I disconnected the Gear from the phone. Did anyone else have such experience? Solved, issue with the specific custom ROM.
  • Using in conjunction with Bluetooth earpiece is a complete nonsense. I don't want to receive calls on the Gear when I have the earpiece connected to the phone. But guess what, you can't have them connected at the same time! WTF?
  • Where are the apps? All pre- and post-release materials suggested Gear 2 comes with plenty of useful apps, but where are they? I'm particularly interested in Runtastic, but, according to their Facebook page, their Gear 2-compatible app hasn't been released yet, and no ETA so far. Runtastic claims Samsung didn't ask if their app was available before putting its name on the press release. WTF?
  • No alarm functionality on the watch itself without a need in the phone, and non-Samsung phone alarm doesn't get propagated to the Gear.
I'd really appreciate if other Samsung and non-Samsung phone users could share their experiences with regards to the areas above.

Thanks!

Last edited:

CarbonWyre

Feb 16, 2011
Phoenix
Hi all!

When I bought my Gear 2 Neo to use with my HTC One M8, I knew it was not officially supported, but I read some encouraging posts here on XDA, so I decided to give it a go. So far, my overall experience has been completely dreadful:
  • Battery Life! When I saw 30% per hour drain on my Gear 2 (with not too much of "display on" time), I thought I've got a defective device. However, things came immediately back to normal when I disconnected the Gear from the phone. Did anyone else have such experience?
  • Using in conjunction with Bluetooth earpiece is a complete nonsense. I don't want to receive calls on the Gear when I have the earpiece connected to the phone. But guess what, you can't have them connected at the same time! WTF?
  • Where are the apps? All pre- and post-release materials suggested Gear 2 comes with plenty of useful apps, but where are they? I'm particularly interested in Runtastic, but, according to their Facebook page, their Gear 2-compatible app hasn't been released yet, and no ETA so far. Runtastic claims Samsung didn't ask if their app was available before putting its name on the press release. WTF?
  • No alarm functionality on the watch itself without a need in the phone, and non-Samsung phone alarm doesn't get propagated to the Gear.
I'd really appreciate if other Samsung and non-Samsung phone users could share their experiences with regards to the areas above.

Thanks!

Wow that's a lot. Let's see if I can come up with some answers..

1. I hear that battery drain is a known bug when connected to the HTC one. Not sure why it happens but it's been reported for mostly that device.
2. I'm pretty sure in order to use the Bluetooth earpiece with the Gear you need to connect the gear to your phone, go into Settings on your Gear 2, Go into Bluetooth, and connect it there so instead of having both attached to the phone, you have it Phone>Gear>Bluetooth (IE NOT Bluetooth>Phone<Gear|)
3. Samsung Apps store is not available on NON Samsung devices.
4. This is true and many people are looking for a fix. Nothing can be changed right now.

mpogr

Jan 16, 2008
Melbourne
Wow that's a lot. Let's see if I can come up with some answers..

1. I hear that battery drain is a known bug when connected to the HTC one. Not sure why it happens but it's been reported for mostly that device.
Strange indeed. Could be related to the Sense flavour of BT stack. I have a spare Google device (Galaxy Nexus), will try the Gear with it to see if the battery drain issue is cured.
2. I'm pretty sure in order to use the Bluetooth earpiece with the Gear you need to connect the gear to your phone, go into Settings on your Gear 2, Go into Bluetooth, and connect it there so instead of having both attached to the phone, you have it Phone>Gear>Bluetooth (IE NOT Bluetooth>Phone<Gear|)
According to the process described here, the audio device needs to be paired with the phone and not the Gear, while the Gear is somehow able to make the phone switch between the phone audio coming through it to the earpiece. There is also this video describing how it works from the user perspective.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work this way with my HTC One M8. It looks like it uses ONLY the "Phone Audio" profile while connected to the Gear, which effectively disables any other device relying on the same profile (e.g. the earpiece) to connect to the phone. If, nevertheless, you force the phone to connect to the earpiece, the Gear gets disconnected. I suspect, on Samsung devices, a different BT protocol (probably BLE) is used for communicating to the Gear, so it can stay connected to the phone while the "Phone Audio" is taken by another device. This could also explain the power drain above, as BLE is supposed to be much more energy efficient. The question is, of course, how to make HTC One to use it (BLE is obviously supported by the device).
It is possible to connect my earpiece to the Gear, but only as media device (my earpiece supports this profile as well). In that case it can be used for listening to music played on the Gear. But it doesn't help in the phone call scenario. In any case, the "transfer to earpiece" operation described in both tutorials (you can see the corresponding icon on the right side of the Gear screen in the video above) is not available, no matter if the earpiece is paired to the phone or paired/connected to the Gear directly (the icon is greyed out).
Again, I'll try to put a custom BLE-enabled ROM on my Galaxy Nexus (standard ROMs don't enable BLE on that device, despite the fact the hardware is present) to see if it behaves any differently.
3. Samsung Apps store is not available on NON Samsung devices.
This is true, but there are good people around who can make them available for outsiders like us... The problem is Runtastic app for Gear 2 or Fit (not to be confused with Gear 1) is not available yet, according to Runtastic themselves, and no ETA so far. This is despite Samsung press releases. Had I known this before buying my Gear, I would have given it second thought...
4. This is true and many people are looking for a fix. Nothing can be changed right now.
This is particularly annoying. What I really don't understand is why any other app notifications do get to the Gear, but alarms (even from 3rd party apps) don't. I'm completely baffled by that!

thesparky007

Oct 15, 2008
I have my gear connected to my HTC m7 and I got three days of battery out of a single charge

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Reactions: mpogr

KOLIOSIS

THX,that's encouraging to hear. :good:

One thing I've noticed w/my M8 & GEAR FIT:

If I'm not using the FIT (leave @ home etc...., out of range), the battery life takes a little bit of a hit. Otherwise, yesterday for example, battery life was stellar, still @ 50% after 18 hrs of total phone on-time.

Apparently, the FIT MANAGER app cannot be force closed, only disabled, so, I'll just do that when not using the FIT.
As for the GEAR MANAGER (for GEAR/GEAR2/NEO) it can be force closed.

So,I'm remaining optimistic regarding battery life once my GEAR2 arrives, especially since such is a YMMV, not only w/this discussion, but battery life in general.

Last edited:

thesparky007

Oct 15, 2008
THX,that's encouraging to hear. :good:

One thing I've noticed w/my M8 & GEAR FIT:

If I'm not using the FIT (leave @ home etc...., out of range), the battery life takes a little bit of a hit. Otherwise, yesterday for example, battery life was stellar, still @ 50% after 18 hrs of total phone on-time.

Apparently, the FIT MANAGER app cannot be force closed, only disabled, so, I'll just do that when not using the FIT.
As for the GEAR MANAGER (for GEAR/GEAR2/NEO) it can be force closed.

So,I'm remaining optimistic regarding battery life once my GEAR2 arrives, especially since such is a YMMV, not only w/this discussion, but battery life in general.

I was quite surprised and satisfied with it as well!

I downloaded the sdk and was able to view the log of the gear and I can see there are a lot of errors for s health and other samsung services so if official support comes through from samsung, id imagine battery life will get better.

mpogr

Jan 16, 2008
Melbourne
OK, reading all the replies, it is apparent nobody else has the same kind of dreadful battery life. So it must be the custom M8 ROM I'm using (Insert Coin). I'm going to reflash a different one (will try Android Revolution HD, as this one is supposed to be as close as possible to stock) and see how it behaves.
I did try flashing a BLE-supporting ROM to my old Galaxy Nexus, but it couldn't connect to the Gear. The Gear Manager was stuck forever while attempting to connect.

Reactions: KOLIOSIS

mpogr

Jan 16, 2008
Melbourne
OK, with Android Revolution HD 5.0 for HTC One M8 the battery life is MUCH better, I think it'll stretch to 2-3 days the way it's going now. So one annoyance is solved.
However, the others are still pending resolution. The one I'm particularly annoyed by is the issue with Bluetooth earpiece. I just can't use the Gear if I have to answer the phone on it or on the phone, as I've been using Bluetooth earpieces for the last 12 years (since they appeared on the market more or less) and don't see myself changing it just because of this Gear stupidity. I'm investigating possible solutions (e.g. using Tasker or similar apps). Will post results here.

mpogr

Jan 16, 2008
Melbourne
Another update, just found what seems to be a perfect way around the Bluetooth earpiece problem. A combination of Tasker and Secure Settings allows me to switch from Gear to my earpiece on incoming or outgoing call and then back to Gear when the call is finished. Seems to be working very smoothly! At least now I can wear the Gear throughout my workday and handle phone calls normally.
Looking for resolving other outstanding issues, the next most pressing one is alarm notifications.
Hoping to get working Runtastic when the company releases the app.
Last, having all these health functions (sleep tracker/pedometer/HR) and not being able to use them on the phone is pretty annoying. Hoping to get S Health eventually working on non-Samsung phones...

bocrazy92

Apr 23, 2014
have anyone try the gear 2 with xpeira z1 or z2

iread in some website that the z ultra is work

but ineed the z1 or z2

can someone try it

dericion

Feb 13, 2006
bluetooth switching

Another update, just found what seems to be a perfect way around the Bluetooth earpiece problem. A combination of Tasker and Secure Settings allows me to switch from Gear to my earpiece on incoming or outgoing call and then back to Gear when the call is finished. Seems to be working very smoothly! At least now I can wear the Gear throughout my workday and handle phone calls normally.
Looking for resolving other outstanding issues, the next most pressing one is alarm notifications.
Last, having all these health functions (sleep tracker/pedometer/HR) and not being able to use them on the phone is pretty annoying. Hoping to get S Health eventually working on non-Samsung phones...

hi may i know which tasker application did u use to resolve this?

thanks

---------- Post added at 03:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 AM ----------

hi may i know which tasker application did u use to resolve this?

thanks

btw i m using xperia z ultra

flyguye

Feb 11, 2009

Could you please do a step-by-step guide on this mate? Just like me, there are many of us non Sammy users who are facing the same dilemma. Cheers.

HTC M8 & Gear2

waterkc

Apr 30, 2014
HTC ONE M8 and Gear2 neo

Could you please do a step-by-step guide on this mate? Just like me, there are many of us non Sammy users who are facing the same dilemma. Cheers.

HTC M8 & Gear2

So does anyone have a doc'd process and prerequisites on how to make these two devices even work. I have seen countless youtube videos with people walking through what the thing does and even paired to a htc one m8. I have done all the side loading of the APK's etc. Staging stuff where they suggested and so on. Still coming up with it not working. There is some magic that I am missing some where.

so far I have done:

Installed the Stubpak.apk one by one. Then installed Gear Manager, The phone see's that gear2 then pops up a Parsing Error and goes into the gear manager app pairing screen for ever. Nothing happens after that.

If anyone can shed some light that would be great.

Thanks in Advance.

matthot69

Jun 4, 2014
how do you do it?

Hi I'm new to tasker just wondered what the steps were to make it do this phase thanks so much

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have my gear connected to my HTC m7 and I got three days of battery out of a single charge

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Is that w/the GEAR2/NEO or,w/the original GALAXY GEAR?

gear 2 neo
    OK, reading all the replies, it is apparent nobody else has the same kind of dreadful battery life. So it must be the custom M8 ROM I'm using (Insert Coin). I'm going to reflash a different one (will try Android Revolution HD, as this one is supposed to be as close as possible to stock) and see how it behaves.
    I did try flashing a BLE-supporting ROM to my old Galaxy Nexus, but it couldn't connect to the Gear. The Gear Manager was stuck forever while attempting to connect.