[GUIDE] How to achive the acclaimed '12 Hour Battery Life'

Search This thread

royalbloodvi

Sep 6, 2009
Ive done many tests, and Ive finally achieved the 12 hour battery life everyoen has been complaining about.

This is only achievable through a mixture of the applicatoin ''Juicedefender beta'' and Smart Actions, and freezing the unnecessary bloatware that doesnt need to be running in the background

Use the following settings:

• 2g & Data connnection off when screen off (For e-mails, let autosync check every x minutes you would like)
  • 3g when specific apps need data connection on (for internet radios enable the screen on/off profile)
  • In-built setcpu function, set min/max to 300mhz on idle
  • Enable juicedefender to automatically handle 2g/3g networks
  • SMARTACTIONS: Display ON & OFF profile -> Disable background sync
  • Juicedefender in-built autobrightness, and tweak the settings below stock brightness
  • Enable juicedefender to manage wifi

HYPOTHESIS: Played Internet Radio for 1 hour straight, all active applications killed, only radio playing.
RESULT: Every 1 hour, drain: 9%

So if you multiple 9% by 12 = 109% which is slightly above 12hours.

Everyone can also test this, and see if their RAZR is the same, if so, no more complaints =)

Which is roughly 12 and a bit hours, please everyone also share their results using the same setup and post your results so we can all share, hope this helps =)

Last edited:

Tornlogic

Dec 11, 2010
I can run 16 hrs stock out of the box under moderate use.

Here's where I'm at now and I'm stock...

a6f8251d-1846-3b82.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

y0brando

Feb 4, 2011
707xx
My battery life has almost tripled ever since I turned off my 4G radio.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using XDA App

milkshed27

Jun 15, 2010
[*]In-built setcpu function, set min/max to 300mhz on idle

Where is the built-in setcpu function? I have been looking around but can't seem to find any setting like this.

I'm aware that Juice Defender has an option like this but when you say "built-in", it sounds like you're referring to one built-in to Smart Actions.

Last edited:

MrFrankfromCM

Dec 28, 2010
SoCal
There is no 'acclaimed' 12 hr battery life...it is just possible with no high-tech, settings changing miracle. I get up to 18hrs with moderate use. Aside from 4G...you need to put your screen brightness down to around 30% which still looks very good.

royalbloodvi

Sep 6, 2009
Make sure you are using the beta version. Then you must go to the profiles ans click advanced, then confirm and the extra options to change frequencies will appear

Sent from my XT910 using XDA App

I agree with Szadzik. There's a fine line of usability vs battery life that needs to be determined by ones needs. For me I don't use WIFI. Mine is always off and don't turn it on unless I must for a mandatory game data download or something. I refuse though to scale back half the phones ability to save on battery. Fortunately this is the best battery life I have ever had on anything and that includes my single cores. Thankfully no need to scale back. The benefit of having AMOLED or at least this one is you can run the screen at 30% and still have people comment on how bright it is LOL.

vgupman

Jan 24, 2011
Chicago, IL
That basically means that unless you are using the phone with screen on you are not going to get emails.

POINTLESS!

You can set it to turn data on every 5 minutes when the screen is off and sync your email so that's not a big deal...it still saves a lot of battery. Personally I've just been keeping LTE off unless I really need it and turn juice defender on when i'm in a bind and need to preserve battery.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using xda premium

Reactions: milkshed27
You can set it to turn data on every 5 minutes when the screen is off and sync your email so that's not a big deal...it still saves a lot of battery. Personally I've just been keeping LTE off unless I really need it and turn juice defender on when i'm in a bind and need to preserve battery.

It will eat more battery if it keeps turning on and off every 5 minutes.

Theres an option to check for auto sync every 15 minutes, just enable if you use email

How are you going to receive emails if data is turned off?

Besides, using email app while you can use GMail is very uncomfortable.

You guys are trying to do everything to destroy smartphone experience. I prefer to have an external charger and USB cable to charge it up than to use these tricks to lower battery usage and have a smartphone that does not work.

The great thing I use is Moto's Sleep mode whenever I decide I do not want anyone to disturb me.

royalbloodvi

Sep 6, 2009

You guys are trying to do everything to destroy smartphone experience. I prefer to have an external charger and USB cable to charge it up than to use these tricks to lower battery usage and have a smartphone that does not work.

The great thing I use is Moto's Sleep mode whenever I decide I do not want anyone to disturb me.

The data connection will turn on by itself automactically to check for auto-sync when you enable the option for juice defender to automatically manage data connection..

Whole point of this app is to get the most battery you can without sacrificing functionality, but just effectively using the networks/data connections effectively.. android has poor network management..

z06mike

Sep 16, 2010
That's crazy, straight out the box I'm getting 14 hrs. + with pretty moderate use.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Ive done many tests, and Ive finally achieved the 12 hour battery life everyoen has been complaining about.

This is only achievable through a mixture of the applicatoin ''Juicedefender beta'' and Smart Actions, and freezing the unnecessary bloatware that doesnt need to be running in the background

Use the following settings:

• 2g & Data connnection off when screen off (For e-mails, let autosync check every x minutes you would like)
  • 3g when specific apps need data connection on (for internet radios enable the screen on/off profile)
  • In-built setcpu function, set min/max to 300mhz on idle
  • Enable juicedefender to automatically handle 2g/3g networks
  • SMARTACTIONS: Display ON & OFF profile -> Disable background sync
  • Juicedefender in-built autobrightness, and tweak the settings below stock brightness
  • Enable juicedefender to manage wifi

HYPOTHESIS: Played Internet Radio for 1 hour straight, all active applications killed, only radio playing.
RESULT: Every 1 hour, drain: 9%

So if you multiple 9% by 12 = 109% which is slightly above 12hours.

Everyone can also test this, and see if their RAZR is the same, if so, no more complaints =)

Which is roughly 12 and a bit hours, please everyone also share their results using the same setup and post your results so we can all share, hope this helps =)
It is strange, I can use my RAZR for a maximum of 36 hours with light usage, 24 hours with moderate usage and 16 hours with heavy usage includes smart actions.. I never had battery issues on RAZR

Astrowe

Jan 20, 2011
Prague
It is strange, I can use my RAZR for a maximum of 36 hours with light usage, 24 hours with moderate usage and 16 hours with heavy usage includes smart actions.. I never had battery issues on RAZR

exactly.. i'd be really bad if the battery wouldn't last for 12 hours from the box. in fact i think that the battery life on RAZR is really good. I play games a lot, browse the web and stuff and i have no problem getting over 12 hours so.. only thing that comes to my mind is that they acutally mean 24 hours since they MIGHT have 12hr clock not 24hr.. so technically they can't reach 24hours. they can reach something like full 12. but you tell me :confused: i never heard anything about RAZR having 12 hours acclaimed battery life

Last edited:

vgupman

Jan 24, 2011
Chicago, IL

You're right these features aren't great for everybody to use all the time but if you're really trying to save some battery and your not that important of a person that you can't wait 5-15 minutes to get your email it helps. I would argue that carrying an external charger takes away from the experience just as much if not more depending on the situation. Also, you don't have to be using the email app it works with gmail too it just turns on auto sync every x amount of minutes.

For me keeping 4g off when I'm not browsing the web or downloading a large file keeps me with more than enough juice to get me through most days.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That basically means that unless you are using the phone with screen on you are not going to get emails.

POINTLESS!

cdb224c4-7115-9619.jpg

I can't say I can complain about battery life on the RAZR. Yes I am rooted and i use Smart Actions.

Just the stock "Battery Information" in settings.

I just realized that TapaTalk didn't allow the full image to be uploaded hence the inability to see the details of the image I previously posted. Here goes :
    IMO it is most helpful to list how many "screen on hours" and "4G hours" you get.

My guess is that people who are lasting 24hrs+ on a single charge likely don't have the screen on that much.

Generally, most people get about 6-7 hrs of screen time, much less if you use 4G.