Dust underneath the screen - manufacturing defect

Do you have dust under your screen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

worlock666

Oct 29, 2007
As per title really...has anyone else experienced dust getting underneath the touchscreen?

on one of the rare days of sunshine last week I noticed a small amount of dust under the screen. It's going back to vodafone for "repair"

Not a good sign on a two week old device!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA App

Profondo_Rosso

Sep 22, 2010
And there's another thread about this same issue.

This is very depressing.

I've really hit a point where I'm wondering if this is the right device for me :( .

This is how it goes in the beginning, unfortunately. Remember, this is a small percentage of actual Sensation phones we're hearing about here. Then again, I'm coming from the G2X...talk about issues.

I bought the Nexus One at launch, and had many issues. However, it turned out being the best phone I ever owned.

worlock666

Oct 29, 2007
Sorry for creating another post.... Been on this board every day for weeks looking for root info and clearly missed it. :-(

Yes by the way... I mean no dust when I got it and now dust!

I still love it though... Just annoying that going to be without it for a week. Back to my leedroid gb desire... I'm glad I hadn't ebay ed it yet!

Zheiko

Dec 21, 2010
Dublin
Could anyone who is using Sensation longer than two weeks confirm that not all these devices are affected by this? I've seen a lot of posts about it, and I am concerned if only some of them are affected or just few unlucky pieces...

I was looking forward to get this phone since they did not announce it on Barcelona, I knew HTC has something they didnt want us to see, few weeks later my wish came true, now its finaly here, and I am struggling if I should buy it or not... the WIFI problem doesnt look that serious to me, and seems like I could live with it(I am barelly using BT, and WIFI only at home, where the signal is better than good)...

Please, is here someone who doesnt have this problem after few weeks of usage? Still, if all the phones are affected, what would be the matter of getting it exchanged/fixed after two weeks, if I'll get the same phone again with the same issue, and two weeks later I will have to get that fixed again...

Last edited:

Gamesoul Master

Aug 26, 2010
I too would like to hear from people who have *not* had dust issues and happen to keep their phone in their pocket or someplace where dust can get in. I'm looking at getting this phone today, and this is the first I've heard about dust. Had dust in my HTC Hero back when I had that phone, drove me nuts. Actually used to take it apart about once a month to do a thorough cleaning, and I kinda thought that after that phone, I wouldn't have to deal with that kind of issue anymore.

o0o Wiggy o0o

Dec 15, 2009
Telford, England
I havent had any dust underneith my screen but I do have a gel cover on that sort of seals any areas where dust can get in.

Reactions: Zheiko

mndgz

Nov 15, 2006
Using mine since 27/05. It spends half of the time in the pocket, the back cover was taken off a few times as well. There's dust all around the screen where it meets the cover but none underneath the actual touchscreen.
Quite bad idea for a back cover IMHO but no dust issues so far. Standard issue Vodafone IRL Sensation

Darnell_Chat_TN

Nov 29, 2008
Chattanooga, TN
Google Pixel 4 XL
Using mine since 27/05. It spends half of the time in the pocket, the back cover was taken off a few times as well. There's dust all around the screen where it meets the cover but none underneath the actual touchscreen.
Quite bad idea for a back cover IMHO but no dust issues so far. Standard issue Vodafone IRL Sensation

Long as it's not getting under the touchscreen it's not "too" big of a deal... The screen should be fused tightly enough that none every should get under there, theoretically speaking...

tigerz0202

Apr 16, 2010
slidell, la.
This is how it goes in the beginning, unfortunately. Remember, this is a small percentage of actual Sensation phones we're hearing about here. Then again, I'm coming from the G2X...talk about issues.

I bought the Nexus One at launch, and had many issues. However, it turned out being the best phone I ever owned.

just look at the hd2 when it first came out ....crap , then xda gets ahold of it and presto the best phone ive ever had

Darnell_Chat_TN

Nov 29, 2008
Chattanooga, TN
Google Pixel 4 XL
just look at the hd2 when it first came out ....crap , then xda gets ahold of it and presto the best phone ive ever had

My HD2 was fine before I even loaded a custom ROM on it. I was stock the first 30 days with no complaints.

But XDA can mostly address software, not hardware issues. No custom ROM can kick dust from under the screen :D .

Reactions: mndgz

tigerz0202

Apr 16, 2010
slidell, la.
My HD2 was fine before I even loaded a custom ROM on it. I was stock the first 30 days with no complaints.

But XDA can mostly address software, not hardware issues. No custom ROM can kick dust from under the screen :D .

mine was fine to a certain extent , but sense was new and had some issues , but xda made the hd2 is an awesome device ,its really hard for me to leave it as my daily driver but i just want the hardware upgraes the sensation has ,thats all there really is to it for me , honestly the roms on the hd2 blow away most stock phones i play with

lightforce

Sep 26, 2008
just got my first dust spec after a day lool. Phones going back

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA App

Zheiko

Dec 21, 2010
Dublin
just got my first dust spec after a day lool. Phones going back

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA App

Crap... Keep us updated plx, if you get replacement, or fixed the one you have and if this happens again... I cant believe that HTC did that crucial mistake again and all phones would be affected...

lightforce

Sep 26, 2008
Crap... Keep us updated plx, if you get replacement, or fixed the one you have and if this happens again... I cant believe that HTC did that crucial mistake again and all phones would be affected...

So I go to the Tmobile store and asked how they work with Dust under the screen. He said if its a widespread problem that a ton of people are having theyll replace them. But he said if no one reports it then they might not replace them.

I got two specs under my screen now. All the walmarts are sold out, and I only have 14 days to return. Im stumped on what to do.

Darnell_Chat_TN

Nov 29, 2008
Chattanooga, TN
Google Pixel 4 XL
So I go to the Tmobile store and asked how they work with Dust under the screen. He said if its a widespread problem that a ton of people are having theyll replace them. But he said if no one reports it then they might not replace them.

I got two specs under my screen now. All the walmarts are sold out, and I only have 14 days to return. Im stumped on what to do.

Regarding the T-Mobile store. What the heck does the rest of the Sensation owning public have to do with YOUR Sensation having a defect? Even if 1 is defective it should be replaced. It should not require a fixed percentage.

Personally, I'd return for full refund before the return period runs out, but that's just me...

If it ALREADY has 2 specs under the screen. What do you think it will have 30 days from now, 1 year from now? That's a rhetorical question.

lightforce

Sep 26, 2008
Regarding the T-Mobile store. What the heck does the rest of the Sensation owning public have to do with YOUR Sensation having a defect? Even if 1 is defective it should be replaced. It should not require a fixed percentage.

Personally, I'd return for full refund before the return period runs out, but that's just me...

If it ALREADY has 2 specs under the screen. What do you think it will have 30 days from now, 1 year from now? That's a rhetorical question.

Yea what I meant was I want another one but they are all sold out lol. I wouldn't mind if tmobiles gonna replace it anyways keep it until the dust is unbearable.

But ur right I might just return at walmart and wait for another shipment.

BiGMERF

Apr 19, 2010
Orlando
reminds me of what was going on when i got my nexus one.. i was able to escape that issue then and i hope to escape it now

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have the perfect fix for dust under my screen. I am going to get a Nexus 4 and never buy an HTC product again. Problem solved.
    As per title really...has anyone else experienced dust getting underneath the touchscreen?

on one of the rare days of sunshine last week I noticed a small amount of dust under the screen. It's going back to vodafone for "repair"

Not a good sign on a two week old device!

And there's another thread about this same issue.

This is very depressing.

I've really hit a point where I'm wondering if this is the right device for me :( .

Seriously dude? No pockets? Where else would a guy keep his phone? Beltclip? No thanks. A phone should never get dust under the screen period. You just got lucky.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using xda premium

i think ill just tape it to my balls then...