HOW TO FIX : Tablet will not turn on or boot after splash

Search This thread

Childofthehorn

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 6, 2010
DFW, Texaaas
Original Post:

Hey guys,

After having no issue for the last month or so using CWM, tonight I booted into CWM as normal and then screen went blank.

I mean really blank, can't turn it off or on. Would a simple unplug of the battery and replug do the job or do I need to break out the JTAG setup? If JTAG is needed, does anyone know where that is on the board?

I did recently NVFlash from 1.1 to 1.2 so any advice on how to get this running again is invaluable as this tablet has info on it that I need to pull off. The only thing I can think of is if something in the recovery file got trashed and when it booted, it killed it.

Thanks in advance.

HOW TO:

Open up the Gtablet by removing the rubber pads on the back and unscrewing the screws seen. Then, using an iPod pry tool or flat screwdriver lift the casing snaps apart. Start at a corner and work your way through.
insidegtablet.jpg

Locate the area in Red.
tabletunplug.jpg

Now Unplug the battery, left speaker, and capacitive touch cables. Then go through and use a piece of copper braid on your finger or a grounding pad and ground out those connectors as well as surrounding capacitors (notice the two caps in the red box). *THIS IS A CRITICAL STEP*
unplug.png

Before putting the back on the tablet, throw the Tablet into AVX mode by pressing power and volume down. This will be the first test as to whether or not it worked.
nvflash.png

Yays! We did it and did not have to break out the BusPirate to do JTAG!
img20110610115538.jpg

Last edited:

Childofthehorn

Jun 6, 2010
DFW, Texaaas
Figured out how to fix it and it was fairly simple. NVFLASH is God!

Like they say in IT:
"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Jun 24, 2011
Two suggestions.

One. Describe that the 4 screws in the corners under the rubber pads need to be removed.

Two. Describe how to ground out the capacitors. One side or both sides? Ground out the connectors on the battery side or the tablet side? Which contacts?

ON XDA it is always expected for us Noobs to read and follow exactly what those in the know have taken the time to write.

Thanks,

Jason

bmasephol

Jul 29, 2008
Wisconsin
I somehow ended up in a similiar scenario and used your instructions for getting back into APX mode. Problem is now that I have the stock ROM back installed and running I no longer have any response from the touch screen... any ideas on what may have happened.

Does anybody know which connectors/plugs are the touch screen, I want to make sure I didn't bump anything or knock anything loose.

yaodin

Nov 30, 2010
Two suggestions.

One. Describe that the 4 screws in the corners under the rubber pads need to be removed.

Two. Describe how to ground out the capacitors. One side or both sides? Ground out the connectors on the battery side or the tablet side? Which contacts?

ON XDA it is always expected for us Noobs to read and follow exactly what those in the know have taken the time to write.

Thanks,

Jason
Here you go.
Would link it but <8 posts
youtube com/watch?v=9M7lxllGOyc

cajoe64

Jan 19, 2011
Worked for Me!

Thanks for the instructions and video. Although I did not ground any capacitors, the battery reset did the trick to bring my tablet back to life. You are appreciated!

Childofthehorn

Jun 6, 2010
DFW, Texaaas
I updated the instructions, if anyone has this problem. Generally, unplugging + grounding + plugging it back in fixes most issues. Please send me a PM if you have a more serious problem and we can try to fix it, eh? (don't always re-check the thread...my bad)

pattyboh

Apr 9, 2011
MD
Boot Issues

Ok, I can only boot my tablet via APX mode. I cannot enter CWM with power and volume +, the tablet does not respond to this, nor does it respond to just hitting the power button. Power and Volume - simultaneously does work so I know the power button works.

I was attempting to load CWM onto a stock 1.2 it didn't take or so I thought. So I attempted nvflash 1.2 boot with cwm and this is what I got. Did I lose a boot loader file somewhere?

I tried detox from gtabs for dummies. The only thing I haven't tried is completely draining the battery.

I am definitely perplexed. I have been flashing roms for about 6 months and have worked myself out of some soft bricks. This, I have not seen anyone talk about.

Thanks in advanced guys

pahooboy

Jun 8, 2011
Worked for me too!

I had the same problem of not being able to turn my g tablet on. I tried everything holding all buttons for various periods of time, connecting and disconnecting to power cord and usb cable to computer. No response. Panic was setting in. Then I came across this post.

I was thinking of calling ViewSonic to see if I could return it. Luckily I came across this post. Took off the back, unplugged and plugged in the battery (didn't do the grounding thing), and Voila! It was working again. This was such a simple solution that it didn't occur to me until my android phone did the exact same thing to me this morning. After freezes and other problems, I always just took my cover off and popped out the battery and pop it back in, and it works. Then I thought to myself, these tablets are nothing but big android phones. Let me try this solution.

Every question I've had, every problem I've come across, has been answered in these forums. I've never had to post a question because someone somewhere has already asked it and the answer was given.

Great job. Video was especially helpful. Thanks

pattyboh

Apr 9, 2011
MD
I had the same problem of not being able to turn my g tablet on. I tried everything holding all buttons for various periods of time, connecting and disconnecting to power cord and usb cable to computer. No response. Panic was setting in. Then I came across this post.

I was thinking of calling ViewSonic to see if I could return it. Luckily I came across this post. Took off the back, unplugged and plugged in the battery (didn't do the grounding thing), and Voila! It was working again. This was such a simple solution that it didn't occur to me until my android phone did the exact same thing to me this morning. After freezes and other problems, I always just took my cover off and popped out the battery and pop it back in, and it works. Then I thought to myself, these tablets are nothing but big android phones. Let me try this solution.

Every question I've had, every problem I've come across, has been answered in these forums. I've never had to post a question because someone somewhere has already asked it and the answer was given.

Great job. Video was especially helpful. Thanks

Did you have reboot normally or with NVflash>?

pahooboy

Jun 8, 2011
While the back was open, I went into APX to confirm that it was working. Then, I just booted up normally. Now, I found my market is not working and I can't update or download something from the Market. I also noticed that I had a couple of Force Closes. So, I am not 100% clear of problems. I am in the process of researching how I can fix the Market and Force Close. I'm thinking of starting all over again from the start with NVflash and reinstall my Honeycomb Rom - GtabComb, including partitioning anew.

ultracorp

Oct 30, 2012
G tablet stuck "booting recovery kernel image"

I have tried everything in this tread and nothing works. I still get "booting recovery kernel image" when I use Vol - and power I get the splash and then the screen goes black. No PC usb connection also. Do I need to let the battery go completely dead?

Mark

theteju

Jul 23, 2011
smooth bean Dead

I am facing the exact same issue mentioned in the thread. Fortunately last time my issue was solved by opening and disconnecting the battery. But in two week it happened again. I know I have to open it again but my question is,

Do I need to nvflash and reinstall the rom?

if yes, what nvflash should I use?

dykx09

Nov 15, 2013
my E18 tablet wont turn on

Ser i have mid tablet pc E18 .. it wont turn on.. anymore can you help me to fix it ..asap please:confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Original Post:

Hey guys,

After having no issue for the last month or so using CWM, tonight I booted into CWM as normal and then screen went blank.

I mean really blank, can't turn it off or on. Would a simple unplug of the battery and replug do the job or do I need to break out the JTAG setup? If JTAG is needed, does anyone know where that is on the board?

I did recently NVFlash from 1.1 to 1.2 so any advice on how to get this running again is invaluable as this tablet has info on it that I need to pull off. The only thing I can think of is if something in the recovery file got trashed and when it booted, it killed it.

Thanks in advance.

HOW TO:

Open up the Gtablet by removing the rubber pads on the back and unscrewing the screws seen. Then, using an iPod pry tool or flat screwdriver lift the casing snaps apart. Start at a corner and work your way through.
    insidegtablet.jpg

Locate the area in Red.
    tabletunplug.jpg

Now Unplug the battery, left speaker, and capacitive touch cables. Then go through and use a piece of copper braid on your finger or a grounding pad and ground out those connectors as well as surrounding capacitors (notice the two caps in the red box). *THIS IS A CRITICAL STEP*
    unplug.png

Before putting the back on the tablet, throw the Tablet into AVX mode by pressing power and volume down. This will be the first test as to whether or not it worked.
    nvflash.png

Yays! We did it and did not have to break out the BusPirate to do JTAG!
    img20110610115538.jpg