[CAR] Best unofficial car dock / phone holder

Search This thread

geenyous

Inactive Recognized Themer
Oct 20, 2007
Shanghai
ebay swivel one x holder
ViewImage.aspx

My swivel holder arrived yesterday. I pasted it onto my dashboard with the included base and it holds very tight.

Let's see how it will take several mounting and dismounting of my HOX, but so far so good. It's a bit tight to get the phone in, nothing as smooth as my mount I had for my HD2 (case exactly made for the phone), but at least now I can keep the thing and having it on the dashboard is also better imho. Also you can very easily rotate the phone with this mount, all while still holding relatively tight (it does vibrate a bit from time to time but that was the same with my old windshield mount). I turn it to the left to charge it (horizontal) and upside down to plug my jack cable to listen to music :D

All in all I am quite happy with this mount, especially if I take the price into consideration!

maxseemo

Nov 3, 2009
Melbourne
ebay swivel one x holder
ViewImage.aspx

My swivel holder arrived yesterday. I pasted it onto my dashboard with the included base and it holds very tight.

Let's see how it will take several mounting and dismounting of my HOX, but so far so good. It's a bit tight to get the phone in, nothing as smooth as my mount I had for my HD2 (case exactly made for the phone), but at least now I can keep the thing and having it on the dashboard is also better imho. Also you can very easily rotate the phone with this mount, all while still holding relatively tight (it does vibrate a bit from time to time but that was the same with my old windshield mount). I turn it to the left to charge it (horizontal) and upside down to plug my jack cable to listen to music :D

All in all I am quite happy with this mount, especially if I take the price into consideration!

Hey mate that's what I'm using now too.
It came with a sticky dash mount and I now have it sitting on the door trim/top thing as I wanted.
For the price this really is the "Best unofficial dock".

Versus the official dock I would say...

Non-Official Ebay Cradle

**PROS**

- Cheap
- Swivel / Rotate (landscape/portrait)
- Case or no case friendly
- Accepts the phone in any manner (frontwards or reverse)
- Small design
- Will work with other phones (maybe even the bigass Note).
**CONS**
- Feels a little flimsy
- Does vibrate
- No built in charger
- No "car mode" automatic activation

Official HTC Cradle

**PROS**

- Built in charger + cable
- Simple to dock your phone (drop/slide in)
- Well built (looks it - i don't have one)
- Automatically activates "car mode"
**CONS**
- Landscape only
- Not case friendly
- Phone may pop out (so I've read)
- Pretty bulky looking
- Worth more then what it should be

Anyway price is obviously the issue for many, others may argue "You buy an expensive phone, don't get cheap on accessories".
If HTC made one that would work with a case and one that could swivel 360 then I would have spent my money on it.
Landscape only and popping off the case every time to dock is annoying.

Could you check the back of the phone holder itself, I ordered one just like yours and it has 'G21' stamped on the back. (G21 is the Sensation XL)

I can manage to get the phone in, but the fit is so tight I'm scared the screen will crack when I hit the first bump in the road...

Yeah it has G21.
Thanks for the info. I was going to rubish it as I won't be using it.
I will get my money back now from them scabs selling non correct items.
I put the phone in it twice and realized it was way too tight.
It fits so tight that it leaves rub marks on the places where the brackets make contact.
They cleaned off but many uses would probably damage the phone long term yeah.

Reactions: geenyous

cjm1979

Apr 9, 2009
Batley
I have bought that http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-Unive...EY6O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335975957&sr=8-1
It will fit also wit silicone case on it which is perfect as I don't have to take the phone out of the case each time I want to use satnav. Also it's universal so will be usable on any phone up to 70mm width.

It's nearly the same price as the official one though. That said I've used the same Nokia holder for years. I bought it as 2 separate parts, windscreen mount and phone holder. It fitted my N95 8GB, Blackberry storm, Xperia X1i, Touch Pro 2, Desire & Sensation and its still going strong. My phone as at last got just too big!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

cjm1979

Apr 9, 2009
Batley
I have bought that http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-Universal-CR-123-Mobile-Holder/dp/B005WKEY6O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335975957&sr=8-1
It will fit also wit silicone case on it which is perfect as I don't have to take the phone out of the case each time I want to use satnav. Also it's universal so will be usable on any phone up to 70mm width.

Mine arrived today. Seems really well made. When its fully open there is about a 5mm gap left so should fit with most cases left on the phone. There is also a dash mount but ive not been able to use it as there are no flat enough areas on my dash board.
The holder swivels 360° and seems really firm. Really pleased with it and at least with this it will fit my future phones rather than if i got the still out of stock genuine Htc mount.

View attachment 1065093

View attachment 1065094

View attachment 1065095

View attachment 1065096

View attachment 1065100

View attachment 1065101

View attachment 1065102

View attachment 1065103

View attachment 1065105

View attachment 1065106

Last edited:

Aleemz

Aug 30, 2006

DanRZ

Jun 26, 2010
danrazor.net
Hello, i use the brodit car dock on the very first post.

You have to buy the specific fixation on the car which fits perfectly.

I use the one on the "passenger" side, just in front of the air flow which send fresh conditionned air, so i have a very good cooling effect ...

Just under the front window, directly to the sun, the one X will surely overheat rapidly. The holder on the central mirror is also a very good choice, if you have a very rigid central mirror.

Edit : This dock can be turned to use a landscape view ...

The only annoying thing is the position of the charger inlet which is a bit badly placed on the phone itself.
I often touch the volume button when i put it on ...

I bought all things in eBay ;)

Here are some photos of my car ( Opel Astra ) :

Attachments

• img_1410.jpg
    img_1410.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 559
  • img_1411.jpg
    img_1411.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 578
Last edited:

Lipinsky

Aug 5, 2008
Enschede
Mine arrived today. Seems really well made. When its fully open there is about a 5mm gap left so should fit with most cases left on the phone. There is also a dash mount but ive not been able to use it as there are no flat enough areas on my dash board.
The holder swivels 360° and seems really firm. Really pleased with it and at least with this it will fit my future phones rather than if i got the still out of stock genuine Htc mount.

View attachment 1065093

View attachment 1065094

View attachment 1065095

View attachment 1065096

View attachment 1065100

View attachment 1065101

View attachment 1065102

View attachment 1065103

View attachment 1065105

View attachment 1065106

How is the suction? Is it just 'stick-on' or is there a handle or something to enforce it onto the windscreen?

cpsarros

Jul 4, 2010
Hello, i use the brodit car dock on the very first post.

You have to buy the specific fixation on the car which fits perfectly.

I use the one on the "passenger" side, just in front of the air flow which send fresh conditionned air, so i have a very good cooling effect ...

Just under the front window, directly to the sun, the one X will surely overheat rapidly. The holder on the central mirror is also a very good choice, if you have a very rigid central mirror.

Here are some photos of my car ( Opel Astra ) :

Edit : This dock can be turned to use a landscape view ...

The only annoying thing is the position of the charger inlet which is a bit badly placed on the phone itself.
I often touch the volume button when i put it on ...

I bought all things in eBay ;)

Hello DanRZ. Are you satisfied with Brodit kit? I am thinking buying it and I am looking forward for your help since I own an astra J. More specific, I would like to know if passenger space is reduced and if you can access the car console without problem. Can you insert a CD without a problem? It would be nice if you could post some more photos, especially from passenger view.
Thank you

DanRZ

Jun 26, 2010
danrazor.net
Yes i'm very satifsied with this brodit dock.

I noticed one thing. Sometimes when i use the gear box, my hand touches the cables of the charger, not that much but it happens. I have to place my charger cable carefully to avoid that.

The best point is the that the phone is just in front of the right central airflow
passenger will have less fresh air ... :D

Passenger space is not reduced that much, but it happens that he touches the dock when he has something with him, a bag or something else. The dock is not "locked" and only fixed a little tight so it don't move that much and can be replaced easily and even turned in landscape mode.

For the CD, to be honest, i didn't tried to remove it or insert it :D
but i don't think there is any problems in "portrait" mode.

I will try to insert/remove a CD to see if there is a problem
and take some photos from passenger view.

I don't like those "sticky" docks that mark the windshield or "hides" the pastic from sun, and leave a mark when definitely removed.

I already had that type of dock on a Skoda Octavia, and it was very practical too in this "passenger" position.

;)

Reactions: Chura and cpsarros

Chura

May 28, 2010
Hi,

You have TPU on ur phone ? any chance the Brodit fits with the TPU on ?

DanRZ

Jun 26, 2010
danrazor.net
Hello, TPU :confused: What is that ? Sorry ...

Edit : If you mean the protect cases, it won't fit, the brodit dock is sized precisely to the One X shape.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chura

ricksonchow

Apr 5, 2010
I had a wind screen mount for my desire before. But now, as I got the One X and knew it likes to heat up easily and I use the Satnav a lot so I need another mounting solution. I searched for the vent hold on ebay and got this one. I like the design that they use only one metal hook and two legs at the bottom to keep it stable. After an easy clip on installation, I found the one X now was fit just at the right position that I can easily reached and no more leaning forward to access it. Furthermore, the idea of cooling really works! :D Now every time I get off the car, the One X is icy cool, even I used it for an hour long navigation! Really recommanded :)

Attachments

• IMAG0001.jpg
    IMAG0001.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 531
  • IMAG0002.jpg
    IMAG0002.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 569

DanRZ

Jun 26, 2010
danrazor.net
Here are some photos of the brodit dock ( Sorry for the poor quality ... ).

You can see there is a really small gap between CD totally out and the dock
but it's enough for inserting/removing CD.

;)

Door view / Passenger view / Front view with CD / Close view / Rear central view.

Attachments

• IMAG0359.jpg
    IMAG0359.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 482
  • IMAG0361.jpg
    IMAG0361.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 488
  • IMAG0362.jpg
    IMAG0362.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 474
  • IMAG0363.jpg
    IMAG0363.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 437
  • IMAG0365.jpg
    IMAG0365.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:
Reactions: cpsarros

cpsarros

Jul 4, 2010
Here are some photos of the brodit dock ( Sorry for the poor quality ... ).

You can see there is a really small gap between CD totally out and the dock
but it's enough for inserting/removing CD.

;)

Door view / Passenger view / Front view with CD / Close view / Rear central view.

Thank you! Excellent review.

chrisnash

Jun 21, 2006
London
Just completed my car set up and I'm very chuffed!
I got the Brodit fixed mount which means it's hard wired with no visible cable.
I also have the HTC Bluetooth adapter connected to the car stereo.
I put an NFC tag on the cradle so it auto launches car mode, connects to Bluetooth and immediately restarts music playback.
I must say so far I'm impressed with the sound quality.
Will post some pics tomorrow.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    using this1 ( swivel one) with my NS at the moment and will use it with my new One X in two days ;) once it arrive :)
    Cheap and do the job, no need to change all the time you change phone so good. Before I use to buy a car holder for each phone I had and than sold it with but after I bought this no need :) as it hold all the phones very well
    :cool:

Hey this one is low cost and will do the job:
    ebay swivel one x holder
    ViewImage.aspx

I used ot use it with my old DHD which now feels so ridiculously heavy!
    You can mount it witht he provided suction that holds well enough.
    Or if you buy some 3m automotive grade double sided tape
    You can mount it on other places that don't have a smooth glass finish.
    I had it stuck on plastic trim near the driver door/window.
    The surface was mildly bumpy but that 3m held on well until the day I removed it.
    Popping the phone in and out, and rotating it with force didn't budge it!

Out of curiosity I also purchased this one:
    2508d1w.jpg

Those protruding clips can probably come off easily.
    Some 3m on that flat surface and it will probably stick anywhere.
    I like this one because it sticks out and gives a greater range of movement / angle.
    Secured near the door you can have your arm rested on the seal and access the phone easily.
    Unlike the official (or any other suction windscreen mounted one) which forces you to lean towards it awkwardly.
    Yes i'm very satifsied with this brodit dock.

I noticed one thing. Sometimes when i use the gear box, my hand touches the cables of the charger, not that much but it happens. I have to place my charger cable carefully to avoid that.

The best point is the that the phone is just in front of the right central airflow
    passenger will have less fresh air ... :D

Passenger space is not reduced that much, but it happens that he touches the dock when he has something with him, a bag or something else. The dock is not "locked" and only fixed a little tight so it don't move that much and can be replaced easily and even turned in landscape mode.

For the CD, to be honest, i didn't tried to remove it or insert it :D
    but i don't think there is any problems in "portrait" mode.

I will try to insert/remove a CD to see if there is a problem
    and take some photos from passenger view.

I don't like those "sticky" docks that mark the windshield or "hides" the pastic from sun, and leave a mark when definitely removed.

I already had that type of dock on a Skoda Octavia, and it was very practical too in this "passenger" position.

;)
    How easily can you mount and demount the phone in this one?
    I am also looking into getting this one, I also already have the cradle, would you mind taking a pic without the phone in it for me to see if it would fit for my cradle (with my old mount I could simply take away the "case" which held the phone, was secured with 4 rectangular holes in roughly 2.5 cm distance to each other)?

Hey sorry I should have stated that I only purchased. Still waiting for it to arrive.
    It does function how you describe though...
    idr7fb.jpg
    Arkon has a bunch of mounts for the One X, windshield mounts, dash, cupholder, they even have a micro usb lighter socket mount: http://arkon.com/htc One X/

mobile-grip-htc-one-x-windshield-moun-in-cart.jpg
    Thanks for the pics and the list of various bits needed, I have one question, how do you attach the Herbert Richter clip to the Brodit ProClip, did you need to drill 4 holes for the screws or are there already pre-drilled holes on the ProCLip, or is it plastic that is easy to screw the screws into?

thanks in advance

The Brodit ProClip doesn't have any holes, it's just a plain flat surface. The Herbert Richter mount comes with 4 self-tapping screws, and has 4 holes pre-drilled.

You simply fit the ProClip to the car as per the instructions provided by Brodit, then place the Herbert Richter mount against the ProClip mount, place your first screw through one of the pre-drilled holes on the Herbert Richter mount. Apply gentle pressure to the screw with a screwdriver and start screwing into the Proclip mount behind.

Repeat with the other 3 screws and you're done.