[Q] Auto-lock with Gear Fit not working

Search This thread

fortuneman

Nov 30, 2010
Bratislava
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Hi guys,

I would like to ask you for a piece of advice. One of the nice features of S5 + Gear Fit is the auto-lock - if the Gear Fit is detected within the range, the phone only swipe-locks itself. If the Gear Fit is disconnected, the lock switches itself to pattern lock. However, this is how it worked for the first day only :)
Now, if I choose the Auto-lock feature (both Gear Fit Manager and S5 Settings), there is no lock-screen. The phone simply stays unlocked no matter how long the screen has been switched off, if I turned it off manually or it has dimmed by itself. The presence of the Gear Fit makes no difference, the phone does not get locked even if the Bluetooth is off (and thus no Gear Fit could be detected).

My question is - is this a (known) bug or did I override the lock settings somehow by accident? Thanks in forward for your help.

CalInTheZone

Dec 23, 2008
Copenhagen
Hi guys,

I would like to ask you for a piece of advice. One of the nice features of S5 + Gear Fit is the auto-lock - if the Gear Fit is detected within the range, the phone only swipe-locks itself. If the Gear Fit is disconnected, the lock switches itself to pattern lock. However, this is how it worked for the first day only :)
Now, if I choose the Auto-lock feature (both Gear Fit Manager and S5 Settings), there is no lock-screen. The phone simply stays unlocked no matter how long the screen has been switched off, if I turned it off manually or it has dimmed by itself. The presence of the Gear Fit makes no difference, the phone does not get locked even if the Bluetooth is off (and thus no Gear Fit could be detected).

My question is - is this a (known) bug or did I override the lock settings somehow by accident? Thanks in forward for your help.
Works just fine with my Gear and Gear 2.

CalInTheZone

Dec 23, 2008
Copenhagen
Then try to clear data for Gear Manager. Since it's not a general problem. Or even try a complete uninstall.

Sendt fra min SM-G900F med Tapatalk

degast

Oct 1, 2008
Unfortunately, yes. It only worked for the first day. I suspect some software update has broken the thing.

Done all updates here, didn't change a thing about the Fit other than the clock and background (so no other setting is adjusted). Connected it to my S5, used the S5 to turn on auto lock.

When gear is near (rhyme intended) the device can be unlocked using swipe, when it's out of range it switches to pattern.

fortuneman

Nov 30, 2010
Bratislava
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Done all updates here, didn't change a thing about the Fit other than the clock and background (so no other setting is adjusted). Connected it to my S5, used the S5 to turn on auto lock.

When gear is near (rhyme intended) the device can be unlocked using swipe, when it's out of range it switches to pattern.

still no luck here. I have cleared the data of Gear Manager and restarted the phone and made sure it is set to auto lock in both Gear Manager and through S5 settings the lock screen never appears and the phone acts as unlocked all the time.

degast

Oct 1, 2008
still no luck here. I have cleared the data of Gear Manager and restarted the phone and made sure it is set to auto lock in both Gear Manager and through S5 settings the lock screen never appears and the phone acts as unlocked all the time.

and without the Gear Fit? How does your lock function then work?
When e.g. set to swipe unlock.

fortuneman

Nov 30, 2010
Bratislava
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Sure is a strange issue, do a factory reset on both devices?

And it gets even stranger, because all of a sudden, it works! Not sure what I did, I was playing with the lock screen settings again and one of the things I tried was pattern locking without the Gear Fit auto lock on. When I switched the auto lock back on, it was working again.
So even though I have zero idea what helped I am glad it works and I thank you for your support.

degast

Oct 1, 2008
And it gets even stranger, because all of a sudden, it works! Not sure what I did, I was playing with the lock screen settings again and one of the things I tried was pattern locking without the Gear Fit auto lock on. When I switched the auto lock back on, it was working again.
So even though I have zero idea what helped I am glad it works and I thank you for your support.

Haha, grats!

Furyk

Jan 29, 2015
Remember....

I had the same "issue" - remember to either wait for autolock or provoke a screen lock. The S5 is not locking before the timer tells it to. It worked for me :)

ediazdelrio

Apr 15, 2015
Make your Android to unlock the Gear Fit watch

Hi guys,

I had the same problem (Glaxy S5 with Abdorid 5). Now it works.
What I've don:
Go to: Android Settings > Security > Smart Lock > Trusted Devices > Add trusted device > Bluetooth > Select your Gear Fit

Let us know if it works for you.

Good luck!
Eduardo