Search This thread

Djazin

Sep 19, 2010
And would a reset undo this too >,< need to know what block I'm starting off at

abedrn

Jul 9, 2010
How to root the Atrix using a root

Guys,

I am very new to this, I downloaded and installed the necessary drivers etc. I placed my atrix on usb debugging and ran "a root" and nothing happen, no root?

Can someone please post a step by step tutorial?

Thanks in advance

Fixter

Jun 6, 2009
Durham
Guys,

I am very new to this, I downloaded and installed the necessary drivers etc. I placed my atrix on usb debugging and ran "a root" and nothing happen, no root?

Can someone please post a step by step tutorial?

Thanks in advance

Did you install the drivers? go to cmd and type your directory for ADB in the android folder.

Ex: cd C:/android-sdk-windows/platform-tools

Make sure that you have Android-SDK installed. After that run adb devices

And you should see your device. Let me know how it goes.

david81

Oct 25, 2007
Not sure if this will help anyone out, but I couldn't get this to work until I switched back to MotoBlur while running aRoot. If I was running Launcher Pro, I got nothing. Used HomeSwitcher to switch back to MotoBlur and it all went perfectly.

Thanks for making this so easy DG.

norcal einstein

Jan 19, 2009
Bay Area
Not sure if this will help anyone out, but I couldn't get this to work until I switched back to MotoBlur while running aRoot. If I was running Launcher Pro, I got nothing. Used HomeSwitcher to switch back to MotoBlur and it all went perfectly.

That's odd.

I use LauncherPro (used MotoBlur for all of 20 minutes when I first was getting the phone setup). On LauncherPro+, I had no issues running the earlier aRoot scripts, and the lastest aRoot script with init.d support.

live4nyy

Mar 5, 2011

That's odd.

I use LauncherPro (used MotoBlur for all of 20 minutes when I first was getting the phone setup). On LauncherPro+, I had no issues running the earlier aRoot scripts, and the lastest aRoot script with init.d support.

I also have Launcher Pro + and didn't have any issues.

david81

Oct 25, 2007
That's odd.

*shrug*

Not sure why that happened for me, but I couldn't get aRoot to do anything until I switched back to MotoBlur. Either way, I'm rooted. Now to figure out what else I can do to this thing (Android virgin here)

live4nyy

Mar 5, 2011
*shrug*

Not sure why that happened for me, but I couldn't get aRoot to do anything until I switched back to MotoBlur. Either way, I'm rooted. Now to figure out what else I can do to this thing (Android virgin here)

Whatever works right. I had the N1 and it was too easy, now with the Atrix (or anything by Moto for that matter), that's a different story.

Blind_Guardian

Feb 23, 2011
Anyone else notice that after applying this new aroot when you switch home screens the phone and contact (motoblur) buttons remain?

eatkabab

Jan 4, 2007
So this all went smoothly (of course thanks to DG), but after the process was completed, I got the blinking red light and my internal SD was unmounted.

I didn't know what to do, but I clicked on the "mount" from the pull down. Shortly after, the phone rebooted itself. Everything seems to be working normally now.

Should I be afraid of anything? Is this normal? I started from the oneclick root, no deodex

live4nyy

Mar 5, 2011
So this all went smoothly (of course thanks to DG), but after the process was completed, I got the blinking red light and my internal SD was unmounted.

I didn't know what to do, but I clicked on the "mount" from the pull down. Shortly after, the phone rebooted itself. Everything seems to be working normally now.

Should I be afraid of anything? Is this normal? I started from the oneclick root, no deodex

I'm sure it went fine but you can always rerun the install and be PATIENT. when it says "Rebooting" you have to wait for the reboot.

Reactions: eatkabab

designgears

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2010
SLC
Anyone else notice that after applying this new aroot when you switch home screens the phone and contact (motoblur) buttons remain?

reboot, might fix it, but that is not happening here..

ran smooth and quick I think i have a man crush on DG...lol

ummmmmmmmmmmmmm

That is the normal reboot process when you do it thru command.

Reactions: eatkabab

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Works on any Atrix, rooted, deodexed, stock, doesn't matter!!
    OLYFR_U4_1.2.6 supported
    OLYFR_U4_1.5.2 supported

*MOD EDIT* THIS IS OLD. USE ONLY IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

Features:
    Root
    Installs tethering apn(enable the apn AFTER you enable mobile hotspot)
    Unlocks all APN's for editing
    Enables init.d support (on the android side, sample script mounts /system rw)
    Installs Superuser.apk
    Enables Non-market apps (sideloading)
    Installs su and sqlite3 binaries to /system/bin
    Removes oneclickroot busybox mess (if it exists)
    unRoot script

How to use:
    note: xp users, you will get an error about the TIMEOUT function, ignore it.
    Enable USB Debugging on your phone (settings > applications > development > enable USB debugging)
    Plug your phone into your computer
    Extract aRoot.7z
    Run aRoot.bat (run unRoot.bat to unroot)

Download:
    http://ponack.net/designgears/atrix/aRoot/
    As far as my experience goes, rooting should have no effect on updating either manually, by Moto OTA, or g-d forbid, by ATT OTA. Right?

Just a wonder because I'm pretty sure that deodexing will likely lead to update issues...

Thank you DG! I had the captivate and want the SGS2 but I got the Atrix as a free 4 month upgrade :-/ I wish I could follow you (maybe I can if I can scum Att again)

deodexing will cause issues with the updates, changing files will do that because it hash checks the file and then applies a patch rather then replacing the entire file.

Adding files, changing permissions, etc, will not cause issues with the updates.
    Thanks DG. I knew if I waited it would pay off.

Any plans on making an "unroot" script?

unroot script added :)
    I was brought here by another user pointing out that aRoot was created specifically for the Atrix. I have no experience with rooting and i was wondering if there was a complete tutorial on how to use aRoot correctly?

Well, I'm getting my Atrix in a couple of weeks and I was just wondering if it's possible to have a step-by-step tutorial on how to use aRoot to actually root your Atrix. I mean, you mentioned you had to instal the SDK and run the .bat file. I kinda get it. Could someone help us with the installing steps coming from zero?

Something like:

1. Download Atrix Drivers from...
    2. Install drivers..
    3. Download SDK from...
    4. Install xxxx

Hope someone can really help us noobs! I've been dealing with Motorola Milestone 1 and have never bricked my phone but procedures seem seamless. Atrix has a different procedure and, as I have observed, it's way trickier.

Thanks in advance.

You don't need to install the SDK, the only things you need are aRoot and the drivers installed. Then you extract the aRoot.7z, and run aRoot.bat, wait for it to reboot your phone and you are done.
    this is so much easier than SuperOneClick. Thanks DG for this tool. I won't know what I will get out of the rooted Atrix (since it's still sim-lock :D) but i like to get my Atrix up to date :D

Here's a quick How-to for all new Atrix users:
    1- Download and install the lightweight drivers from briefmobile (you don't need to download the Motorola Media Link for your phone to connect to PC)
    2- Enable USB Debugging mode on your phone (settings > application > development > USB Debuggin mode)
    3- Connect phone to USB, slide the notification bar down, click on USB Connection, choose None)
    4- Extract aRoot.7z, and run file aroot.bat, then wait for the phone to reboot, then you DONE.