i dont believe g2x has 850mhz UMTS HSPA

Search This thread

clubtech

Jun 26, 2007
USA
Wondering the same question, as this confirm it have the 1900 3g band, "anandtech.com/show/4144/lg-optimus-2x-nvidia-tegra-2-review-the-first-dual-core-smartphone/9"

So anyone can confirm that the International version LG P990 does really have the 1900 3g band? Had anyone just try using ATT or some other carrier with the 1900 3g band?

Thanks

I have the euro version and i can confirm it has 1900Mhz. I can get on at&t's 3G and 1900Mhz is written as supported on the retail box of the phone.

seanthegeek

Dec 8, 2009
I have the euro version and i can confirm it has 1900Mhz. I can get on at&t's 3G and 1900Mhz is written as supported on the retail box of the phone.

This makes me wonder if this this an (unintentional) software/baseband issue? This remands me a bit of what happened after the G2 was released: WiFi calling and tethering were missing, and were later added in a software update. Early adopters usually get burned with any new piece of tech, which is why I'm waiting this one out for now.

sabwafare2001

Jul 16, 2009
DALLAS
Got a G2X yesterday and recieved an unlock code(from Unlockthatphone.com) for it early this morning. The phone is now unlocked, however it looks like ATT 3G in the Dallas, TX area is not working. It displays the 2G symbol at the top. I used the same APN settings as I did with my Desire Z A7275. Unless it is something I am missing, it looks like the T-mo version doesn't have 850 or 1900.

Reactions: compuguy1088

sabwafare2001

Jul 16, 2009
DALLAS
I don't like how they put the frequencies. I believe it is miss leading for some. They don't use hyphens, semicolons correctly it seems. If you look on the box, you aren't able to tell if 850/1900 HSPA is supported.

RF Band
Edge - 850/900/1800/1900; HSPA 7.2/5.76 - 900/1700/2100

comparing that to the euro version (http://www.lg.com/uk/mobile-phones/all-lg-phones/LG-android-mobile-phone-P990.jsp):

RF Band
850/900/1800/1900 – Edge 900/1700/2100 – HSPA 7.2/5.76

compuguy1088

Jun 17, 2010
NoVA
www.compuguy1088.com
Got a G2X yesterday and recieved an unlock code(from Unlockthatphone.com) for it early this morning. The phone is now unlocked, however it looks like ATT 3G in the Dallas, TX area is not working. It displays the 2G symbol at the top. I used the same APN settings as I did with my Desire Z A7275. Unless it is something I am missing, it looks like the T-mo version doesn't have 850 or 1900.

Thanks for posting this. T-mobile really needs to remove those bands on their home page....they are *really* misleading.

compuguy1088

Jun 17, 2010
NoVA
www.compuguy1088.com
Based on this post, I am beginning to think that the phone *does not have* any at&t 3g bands:

Last edited:

gaww

Oct 4, 2010
Asheville, NC
I don't like how they put the frequencies. I believe it is miss leading for some. They don't use hyphens, semicolons correctly it seems. If you look on the box, you aren't able to tell if 850/1900 HSPA is supported.

RF Band
Edge - 850/900/1800/1900; HSPA 7.2/5.76 - 900/1700/2100

It may be the baseband has to specifically be set up for it and not a simply a matter of getting the device unlocked. Note how the O2X and G2X basebands are not compatible. The ROMs work but the radio dies not.

I think that was what was being represented by the TMo response that stated it had the bands, but it was up to TMo as to activating them.

Even if the radio is unlocked (like the super-root on the MT4G), it will probably only work on specific bands set up in the baseband.

02busa

Jul 29, 2010
Madison, MS

sk337sk337

May 21, 2009
Tennessee
Since the 16th of this month.. Doesn't really matter though. I haven't rooted it yet, and it's getting returned do to the 3g issue, and account is getting canceled as well.. Just gonna wait until it's determined which model works 100% on at&t 3g.

Sent from my HTC Inspire running CM7 OC'd to 1.3Ghz..

I don't have to wait. Ill have it tomorrow and let y'all know.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA Premium App

Last edited:

Jumpie

Mar 28, 2005
Has anyone tried calling LG customer care? Maybe they'll provide an update.zip to enable it. If you tell them that it clearly states it's supposed to.

I'm no a developer by any means and I haven't received my unlock code from TMo yet, but if the radios are there for all the bands, it seems to me that a hacker/developer would be able to find a way to activate them.

Thoughts? Anyone suggest it?

akachay

Jun 22, 2008
well just endure some painful time with a tmobile csr. i asked if the bands are correct? the answer was yes, the webpage is correctly listed. what's tmobile 3g/4g bands, the answer 1700. what's is att 3g/4g bands, the answer 850/1900. finally i asked will this phone work on att 3g, the answer tmobile can't guarantee it will work but it's correctly listed on the tmobile sit. i asked why can't tmobile guarantee that 850/1900 will work. the aswer it's correctly listed but tmobile can't guarantee. back and forth over and over and over. i feel stupid like i'm taling to an automated system.

Deliximus

Jan 22, 2010
Probabl have to forward this issue to one of the developers. this is assuming that it does have those bands in its hardware.

kampf

Jun 21, 2007
T-minus 29 days for me to return this if they don't resolve the number of issues.

I'd return it and buy it again in a heartbeat if this is resolved in the affirmative, Battery life was improved, and the random reboots would be addressed.

My Nexus One has been in constant use since Jan '10 and it STILL has issues (3-second call pickup delay).

Elemenopee

Apr 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Problems with G2x

Hey guys. I bought the G2x yesterday and got it unlocked iwth a code i purchased on unlockthatphone.com. I can confirm that it DOES NOT work with AT&T's 3G or 4G. I live in Denver, CO btw. Now I don't know if it's simply a baseband update that could fix this or something misrepresented by T-Mobile, but I hope someone could figure out a fix soon. I have 14 days to get my money back, so I'd be more than happy to get that $500+ back.

Reactions: kampf

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sure there's a mod.

The first step is to plug it into craigslist. Make sure you have a reasonable price installed. Ensure that when you meet with the buyer, you take the money and your SIM with you before logging out. Then you will have to install the money somewhere that can sell you a compatible phone. Finally you'll have to put your SIM in the new phone and turn it on.

And voila, you've modded your phone ;-)

Sent from my HUAWEI MediaPad using Tapatalk 2

Another mod would be to strap it to a phone which works on a network it doesn't work on. A further mod would be to put a brick of vanilla ice-cream between the two phones to have Ice Cream Sandwich.
    Wheres the tmobile 1700 band on there?

It's called AWS.
    i live in metro. I will be interested to take a look. call

I would remove your number from public view. Just send him a PM with it.
    Picking mine up at lunch, gonna request an unlock code online once I get off work... Throw the AT&T sim in, and report back my 3g findings...
    Thanks for doing this. This was the only reason that I was wanting to get this phone. If I cannot unlock the phone and use it on 3g on at&t, then it is not worth it (I already have a t-mobile phone that works on at&t and one that works on edge).

No prob, I'm in the same situation you are.. Either way, I can sell it and get my money back if it doesn't pan out..

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA Premium App