[2017.08.02] DSLR Controller v1.05

Search This thread

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Hi chainfire would it be possible to have an option to flip the screen, as when I'm shooting macro shoots on a tripod sometimes my camera is upside down to get as low as possible, this would help a quite a few places who shoot low and shoot this way..... thanks

Not sure if I'm going to do anything with that tbh.

Alternatively you can turn off autorotation on your Android device, and hold your tablet/phone upside down.

pspilot

Mar 30, 2008
Bavaria
Regarding free apps, I forget the name, but I used to have one on my phone. Either way, DSLR Controller will be offering to modify this value for you itself, probably next update. So no more external tools needed.
Now that sounds great. Actually, if you have the possibility, you should just modify these limits to your needs right within DSLR Controller. Most users won't even understand, if you start asking them about a 'mem-per-app' value or such. The question is, whether it can be done without reboot. I'll wait for the next update and now it's Christmas anyway ... time to get last presents instead of app testing :D.

Happy Christmas everyone.

ufoxvx

Dec 21, 2011
new here

In a moment of fortune I stumbled on this dslr-app. And after that I tried to find more information on it. I found over 100 pages here. As being a newbie my proposal is that messages concerning older releases should be removed as far as the questions are solved. That should make it far easier to understand.

So... that was the worst start sentence I could think off :rolleyes:

For your information: using an Eeepad transformer 101 from Asus, android 3.2, Asus USB extender, standard cable, Canon 7D dslr. Memory message High 256. And everything, as far as implemented seems to work.

In dutch to Chainfire: KLASSE

Would it be that I should find a flaw I will mention it here. If something has to be tested... mention it.

gemini8026

Nov 5, 2010
Saskatoon
Chainfire.

Any chance of a possible gesture or double tap to "re-center" the focus position to dead center?! Im having a ***** of a time getting it manually to dead center :)

Also not sure if theres a way yet to select manual focusing positions. Im aware of doing it in live mode, but cant do manual selection points ....

Either way, still running nice. Got my heap up to 128mb and its running nice and smooth!

Last edited:

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Any chance of a possible gesture or double tap to "re-center" the focus position to dead center?! Im having a ***** of a time getting it manually to dead center :)

Also not sure if theres a way yet to select manual focusing positions. Im aware of doing it in live mode, but cant do manual selection points ....

Re-center: this may be added soon

Focus position: unfortunately it is impossible to know by the camera what position the lens is in. I've spent many days trying to read data to circumvent this, but it simply isn't possible to do ad-hoc in a reliable way. There may still be solutions for focus pulling but they will be limited.

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Great news everyone, the new update (probably named v0.83) is coming along nicely, and I still hope to release it before x-mas :)

Among other things, it now supports histograms, basic exif data and exposure blinking in image review (also exposure filter in liveview), and brings the HDR/M mode (up to +-8 EV depending on current shutter speed).

Looking ahead to timelapse and bramping, I think I've finally gotten the camera to switch into (and stay in) DoF mode. I will probably need some private testers for that in the future - and I will ask when I do. If the DoF mode is fully operational and truely locks the aperture this would probably be very handy.

The question to you timelapsers is, how could I best test this ? If I go into DoF mode, I can still capture, and I'm back in DoF mode - but it is unclear if the camera "resets" to DoF mode, or "stays" in DoF mode the entire time.

I'm looking for a method that would quickly give/show me aperture flicker if DoF isn't working :)

msatter

Sep 30, 2007
That would be a great x-mas gift to us. ;-)

I am not in bramping however I have looked at the behaviour of the diagram when I take a picture under the following condition: exposure manual, live view on, no computer or phone connected, quick focus not selected, DoF button pressed.

On taking the picture and looking in the lens the aperture stay in the set position and then opens fully and because the DoF button is still being pressed, the aperture closes to the set position.

For checking for not good working DoF you can look at the histogram of the stills. The light and objects in a sequence have to be the same.

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Doh, instead of looking at data I get from the camera, I could of course just look at the dang lens. Facepalm!

It looks like you are correct, it does open and close.

Oh well, at least I can add a button people want, and it helps with timelapse to make the dof-lens-turn action easier...

In other news, I'm thinking about rolling the WB and K buttons into one, to save space, as they're mutually exclusive anyway. The WB button would then let you select all the options (except K) and have all the temperatures listed.

Objections ?

ziggymaj

Aug 11, 2011
Small suggestion, could you make buttons to move focus bigger for tablet version. They are pretty small to manipulate.

Thanks

Canon 5D Mark II and Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus

gemini8026

Nov 5, 2010
Saskatoon
Focus buttons are a good size on my phone (not a tablet guy) and I support moving the two buttons together, making more real estate for future goodies!

DanielBoeV

Dec 16, 2011
Good to read that it now works!! :)

Why buy in the UK? You can get almost anything in Germany. I order stuff for my computer and parts for my car there and when I get something for my camera I compare the prices over here and in Germany.

German is no problem for me and a lot of people in Germany do speak English.

Just use ebay.de instead of ebay.dk

I haven't used it so far because my German is bad to say the least, but maybe I'll try it when I buy my new 50mm :O

Last edited:

msatter

Sep 30, 2007
Doh, instead of looking at data I get from the camera, I could of course just look at the dang lens. Facepalm!

:)

In other news, I'm thinking about rolling the WB and K buttons into one, to save space, as they're mutually exclusive anyway. The WB button would then let you select all the options (except K) and have all the temperatures listed.

Objections ?

No objection. I suggest, to put a "K" behind the colour temperature displayed in the main screen.

ufoxvx

Dec 21, 2011
another question about color temperature: is the actual color temp somewhere readable? Specifically when working in AWB should it be very easy as reference for possible corrections.

dennishhh

Sep 30, 2011
Boston
Galaxy Note

I just was able ,for the first time to buy DSLR Controller on the market for my Note. It dose not work but says it might work if I root. Do I wait for ICS or root now, has anyone gotten the note to work? If so what root do I do? I'm just happy I finally could buy the Beta just to support your great project. THANKS!

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
I just was able ,for the first time to buy DSLR Controller on the market for my Note. It dose not work but says it might work if I root. Do I wait for ICS or root now, has anyone gotten the note to work? If so what root do I do? I'm just happy I finally could buy the Beta just to support your great project. THANKS!

It works on my note... It's my favorite device to use DSLR Controller on, really. I use CF-Root to root it (surprised?).

You could wait for ICS, but that's still a few months away, I think.

Reactions: dennishhh

bigfatron

Dec 20, 2011
As a footnote to my post the other day, I did manage to source another cable (official Samsung one via Amazon for £8) and this time it worked a treat (hooked up to a Galaxy Nexus). Excellent application, very impressed indeed. And thanks for the help diagnosing the issue.

And fair play to the lad on ebay who sold me the first cable and refunded me with no fuss when I said it didn't work.

As for the combining of the WB/K options, that makes complete sense to me. I couldn't quite understand why it was seperate anyway.

RomanIlyin

Nov 11, 2011
I got at last this app working with Galaxy S2 after rooting with ZergRush.
My phone has stock 2.3.5 (I9100XXKI4 / GINGERBREAD.XWKI8)
USB-OTG from Dealextreme
Canon 5D Mark II (2.0.11)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In an effort to de-duplicate a lot of information, I have moved the bulk of it to the DSLR Controller website. This thread still remains the place to get support, discuss, and ask questions, though!

DSLR Controller was the first and remains the best app to fully control your Canon EOS DSLR from your Android device, through USB cable or Wi-Fi connection. No computer or laptop required, no root required, only a compatible mobile device, a compatible camera, and if connecting through USB, the right cable.

We strongly suggest you read up on the website ( http://dslrcontroller.com/ ) about what DSLR Controller can do, how it works, and how to use it, before purchasing. The website contains a wealth of information you should know before using.

Not all devices are compatible, especially if you want to use a USB connection. For a free app you can use to test compatibility, see the "Remote Release" app ( http://market.android.com/details?id=eu.chainfire.remoterelease ). If you need a refund, go to our website ( http://dslrcontroller.com/ ) and follow the instructions in the FAQ entry. We cannot process refunds through email.

Usage notes, feature lists, device compatibility lists, changelogs, FAQs, can all be found on our website: http://dslrcontroller.com/

Most questions should go to the support and discussion thread at XDA-Developers.com:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1202082

Features

Features include but are not limited to:

- Live View
    - Auto Focus (tap Live View)
    - Manual focus adjustments (in AF mode)
    - Histogram
    - Zoom control
    - Grid and aspect ratio overlay
    - Bulb capture
    - Continuous capture
    - Image review (+ follow shot, gallery)
    - Image filters (peaking, contrast, channel mask, grayscale, 4 modes/filter)
    - Video recording
    - HDR/Auto Exposure Bracketing
    - Focus Bracketing (incl. HDR)
    - Focus A-B
    - Mirror Lockup support
    - Timelapse (incl. HDR)
    - Wi-Fi Passthrough
    - Extensive modification of settings
    -- Shutter speed
    -- Aperture
    -- ExpComp and Bracket
    -- ISO speed
    -- Auto-Focus Mode
    -- Focus and Zoom area (tap-and-hold Live View)
    -- Picture Style
    -- Drive Mode
    -- White Balance
    -- Color Temperature
    -- Auto-Lighting Optimizer
    -- Metering Mode
    -- Image and video quality and format

Available options depend on the mode you have your camera set to (M, Av, Tv, etc) and camera model. Refer to the website ( http://dslrcontroller.com/ ) for further details.

Supported Android devices:

If you are connecting using Wi-Fi, virtually all modern Android devices are supported (your camera needs Wi-Fi support, though). If you are connecting over USB, your device needs USB host support - most recent devices do. Please see the 'Devices' section on our website ( https://dslrcontroller.com/devices.php ) for further information.

If your camera only supports USB, you can modify a TL-MR3040 to provide a Wi-Fi connection ( http://dslrcontroller.com/guide-wifi_mr3040.php )

Supported Canon EOS models:

Newer cameras than listed below are usually supported.

Full support:
    - 1D Mark IV
    - 1D X
    - 1D X Mark II
    - 5D Mark II
    - 5D Mark III
    - 5D Mark IV
    - 5Ds(r)
    - 50D
    - 500D
    - 550D
    - 6D
    - 60D
    - 600D
    - 650D
    - 7D
    - 7D Mark II
    - 70D
    - 700D
    - 750D
    - 760D
    - 80D
    - 1100D
    - 1200D
    - 1300D
    - 100D

Limited support:
    - 1D mk III
    - 1Ds mk III
    - 30D
    - 40D
    - 400D
    - 450D
    - 1000D

No support:
    - pre-2006 models
    - EOS M mirrorless devices (work in progress)

Let us know which hardware you are using with DSLR Controller!
    Must-read information

Screenshots and video:
    http://dslrcontroller.com/about.php

Download, BETA usage notes, and changelogs:
    http://dslrcontroller.com/download.php

Table of supported Android devices and Canon EOS DSLRs:
    http://dslrcontroller.com/devices.php

FAQ:
    http://dslrcontroller.com/faq.php
    I am a professional architectural photographer and have adopted your DSLR app into my workflow. Thank you for the great design and amazing functionality. It is a pleasure to work with*.

I would like to know what the future holds for DSLR Contorller. I noticed you are not very active on this forum (last post on 2/26/2015), but wanted to encourage you to keep on developing because I, We need it!!!

DSLR Controller was originally built for Android 2.x years ago, and a lot of things have changed both in the camera world as well as the mobile world. Despite bolting on many improvements, the code shows its age. To take it to the next level and get everything I want into it (customizability, compatibility, portability, speed, etc), a lot of the core needs to be changed, the UI needs to be changed (if not in appearance or functionality then certainly how it's been coded), etc. It pretty much comes down to not just overhauling major parts, but completely redoing it from scratch, and rebuilding it as envisioned from the ground up.

This brings with it a number of issues. It is a lot of development time (and thus money) investment up front, of which you will see no results, until it is almost done. In the mean time, you can't really release anything that isn't up to par with the current version of DSLR Controller, and you can't just replace the current version as old users/devices may no longer be compatible, stranding paying customers. A lot of additional equipment needs to be gotten and tested with to ensure compatibility and portability (remote and end-user testing isn't really workable with apps like these). Not to mention that DSLRs are pretty much doomed, and this is definitely being reflected in daily sales.

The past year hasn't been very good on a personal level, which isn't your problem of course, but it is one reason for the lapse in development of certain apps. This one adds to the fact that in light of the above, it feels like a waste of resources to spend a lot of time on improvements in the current app. There have been talks with a team (from a big brand in the camera world) to take over the IP, pretty much solving the resource problem, but ultimately that fell through, after the talks taking up a large part of my time for months.

Also, I know it seems like DSLR Controller has generated a lot of funds, but spread out over the years its been available, subtracting equipment costs, corporate taxes, wage taxes, etc, you wouldn't be able to hire one(!) half-competent coder for the money left at today's going rates, not to mention the risks involved with hiring people. Even though I do get paid and get all these toys to play with, wanting to build it has always been a large part of this, as there are definitely more profitable ways to spend the time. At the same time having to compete with $300 equipment, and people still complaining about the $8 price.

This app is also a complete nightmare to support, as by far the bulk of the connection issues are not due to the app itself, but due to camera configuration, phone configuration, hardware incompatibilities, firmware incompatibilities, etc. That is, excepting the case where DSLR Controller just hangs, which sometimes (but definitely not always) is an issue with the app. Not to mention the droves of questions and reported issues by people who simply don't understand how their cameras work.

All of that being said, I do believe there may be a business case where a rebuild with additional features and support for Nikon and/or Sony and/or (insert other brands here) and other OSs like Linux, iOS, OS X, Windows, etc using a shared core may at least break even. That is, providing I can find competent developers to do it (as there is no way I can pull this off by myself), and finding said competent developers with at least somewhat relevant skills might in fact be the biggest problem to solve. Still, even in the best case scenario, I don't believe any work will get started before end-of-summer.

Don't mistake the lack of visible activity for lack of interest. What to do with DSLR Controller and how to get there is something I consider every day, as in the end, it's still the app I've enjoyed most developing over the years. But if the solution means spending more resources updating the current app, developing a new one, or investing funds to get a whole new company off the ground with a handful of people to cover both major brands and major OSs - that I don't know yet. But I do hope to have an answer to that sooner rather than later.

(this post was written in a rush as I need to run for another appointment but I didn't want to leave this unsaid, so if it's jumping here and there and not fully coherent, that's why)
    Hey Chainfire, I was wondering if there was an ETA for the next update? I know asking such things is never liked, Im not looking for a hard date just a rough idea and if there is anything else we can do to help?

After next week I have three weeks reserved for exclusive DSLR Controller work, if that doesn't finished the upcoming update, I'd be surprised :)
    The price will go up once v1.0 is reached, but the upgrade is free for those who have this BETA???

Why can't I see free version?

Because it's good software and the developer deserves to get paid. Beta doesn't mean it's not valuable, it means that the software isn't very mature or well tested. if you want it now, you pay. If you want to pay once it's well tested and proven then wait.

Either way, quit your sniveling people. This is an AMAZING deal at that price. If you can afford a DSLR and know how to use it, you can afford 10 times this and would gladly pay it. If you think otherwise, you likely don't need this software to begin with and have nothing to complain about.