[Q] Cannot update to Gingerbread

Search This thread

rawrzar

Nov 3, 2011
Hey everyone. I rooted my phone a while back (around June), but it got unrooted during the update in July and I haven't bothered rooting it again. But now, when I try to update to Gingerbread, I always get a message saying "Update failed or incomplete" after downloading and rebooting. I noticed I still have SuperUser installed, so I tried unrooting with SuperOneClick, but SuperOneClick is stuck on "Waiting for Device". I have also tried to reset to factory settings, with the same result. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.

Hey everyone. I rooted my phone a while back (around June), but it got unrooted during the update in July and I haven't bothered rooting it again. But now, when I try to update to Gingerbread, I always get a message saying "Update failed or incomplete" after downloading and rebooting. I noticed I still have SuperUser installed, so I tried unrooting with SuperOneClick, but SuperOneClick is stuck on "Waiting for Device". I have also tried to reset to factory settings, with the same result. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.

You may not have updated like you thought. V6 should have gotten rid of root for you. I had to do a factory restore, wipe the data and image, all of it. When I went back to do all that stuff, I still had the Bionic splash screen, and it is because of that little change, that I was not able to update myself. You may have something similar going on with your phone, just in a different place. Anything beyond doing that, just ask, but it should take care of you. Make a backup first, just in case. You will have to set everything up again.

rawrzar

Nov 3, 2011
You may not have updated like you thought. V6 should have gotten rid of root for you. I had to do a factory restore, wipe the data and image, all of it. When I went back to do all that stuff, I still had the Bionic splash screen, and it is because of that little change, that I was not able to update myself. You may have something similar going on with your phone, just in a different place. Anything beyond doing that, just ask, but it should take care of you. Make a backup first, just in case. You will have to set everything up again.

Thanks for your reply. I have performed a factory reset, but the update still fails. I also notice that after the reset, SuperUser is still listed under my installed apps.

rawrzar

Nov 3, 2011
Does the update fail, or does it just say no update available?

Sent from my VS910 4G using xda premium

It fails. the update downloads, and reboots to install. But about half way through the installation, the phone reboots again. when the home screen comes up, a screen pops up saying "update failed or incomplete".

rawrzar

Nov 3, 2011
I had the same problem. Did you reinstall the stock recovery program? I also had the bionic boot image from revolt1.5, which was messing things up. Once I reverted back to the stock boot image, the update went through.

How would I go about reverting back to stock image? sorry , I don't know much about this.

jdleider

Jul 15, 2011
I am in a similar situation but when I try to update to gingerbread it says there is no update available. I too still have supreuser installed after reflashing from revolt 1.5 to thcubed zv4 rooted stock and then updating its to zv6. How can I get my phone to download zv7?

Sent from my VS910 4G using XDA App

jamRwoo

Aug 22, 2011
Greenville, SC
I am in a similar situation but when I try to update to gingerbread it says there is no update available. I too still have supreuser installed after reflashing from revolt 1.5 to thcubed zv4 rooted stock and then updating its to zv6. How can I get my phone to download zv7?

Apparently the update hasn't been pushed to all phones yet...there's several of us on xda that still don't have it. Jackpot08 is working on a .tot but until then, we just have to wait.

Some people have called Verizon and they can't force the update to your phone, so don't bother with that.

Reactions: rawrzar

rawrzar

Nov 3, 2011
The cubed had a stock revo file that he posted somewhere in the dev forum. Just flash that with CWM and you should be good to go.

Thanks! Found it and got it working. Just waiting for the update now.

Apparently the update hasn't been pushed to all phones yet...there's several of us on xda that still don't have it. Jackpot08 is working on a .tot but until then, we just have to wait.

Some people have called Verizon and they can't force the update to your phone, so don't bother with that.

Thanks for the info, guess the update hasn't been pushed to my phone yet.

westnewton

Jul 19, 2010
I have been on stock for a week now, and its been horrible. I forgot how slow this was before devs streamlined the system, and how many rooted apps/functions I used.

I am going back to revolt today. I will see GB when the .TOT is available.

Madert

Sep 28, 2011
Rochester

Were you attempting to update to gingerbread by using the TOT? Or was there an update available though your service provider?

If you were getting a failure through the network, it's likely because you haven't gone back to stock recovery and still have ClockWorkMod Recovery installed. Use DevToolKit to fix this.

If you are using the TOT and getting a failure, do a checksum on the TOT file.

hatoncat

Jan 14, 2005
California
www.pcsintel.com
I've been working on this actively as I have a revolution. LG has informed me the update push completed on November 2. Nobody at VZW or LG can tell me why some Revolutions haven't gotten the push.

VZW Engineering has apparently been alerted, but LG has been unresponsive to me to-date.

I'm not waiting and putting together a one-package manual update kit, but I do want to give LG and VZW time to give me an update. Thing is, it's been over 72 hours now and there hasn't been one, so my patience is wearing thin.

It's disappointing that LG hasn't responded to any of my inquiries... I'm asking the right people behind the scenes.

Madert

Sep 28, 2011
Rochester
I've been working on this actively as I have a revolution. LG has informed me the update push completed on November 2. Nobody at VZW or LG can tell me why some Revolutions haven't gotten the push.

VZW Engineering has apparently been alerted, but LG has been unresponsive to me to-date.

I'm not waiting and putting together a one-package manual update kit, but I do want to give LG and VZW time to give me an update. Thing is, it's been over 72 hours now and there hasn't been one, so my patience is wearing thin.

It's disappointing that LG hasn't responded to any of my inquiries... I'm asking the right people behind the scenes.

I'm in Rochester NY and never got one. I gave it til 2 days ago and threw on the TOT.

hatoncat

Jan 14, 2005
California
www.pcsintel.com
I'm in Rochester NY and never got one. I gave it til 2 days ago and threw on the TOT.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards drafting an idiot-proof TOT guide, it's just going to be really upsetting if I have to do that. If this was Apple, and not LG, we wouldn't even have this thread right now.

Option-click .ipk and done... not that Apple would even let ~1-5% of a device "miss" an update.

hatoncat

Jan 14, 2005
California
www.pcsintel.com
So, I've confirmed a few things with LG officially:

1) The ZV7 update has not been pulled.
2) LG was not aware of this issue until I reported it.
3) LG is just now starting the process of investigating.

I can't flash a TOT on mine right now, as LG may want to capture my unit for evaluation. I'll know more soon, hopefully by Monday.

antiwesley

Nov 14, 2011
Racine
Verizon was trying to push an update on me back on the 11th. It was the V6 update, as I was running V4. It failed, and I manually ran the tot through with LGNPST. Since thecubed had posted the V7 tot as well, I ran that through as well.

I probably did not need to go from V4 to V6 to get to V7, but I figured it wouldn't hurt.

But as I said, the only push I had received was on the 11th, well after the 2nd.
As a semi-newbie, it was easier to push the tot on than anything else.

Madert

Sep 28, 2011
Rochester
Verizon was trying to push an update on me back on the 11th. It was the V6 update, as I was running V4. It failed, and I manually ran the tot through with LGNPST. Since thecubed had posted the V7 tot as well, I ran that through as well.

I probably did not need to go from V4 to V6 to get to V7, but I figured it wouldn't hurt.

But as I said, the only push I had received was on the 11th, well after the 2nd.
As a semi-newbie, it was easier to push the tot on than anything else.

Did you have clockwork recovery installed when you tried to get Verizon s update

Sent from my gingervolt`ed revolution

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How would I go about reverting back to stock image? sorry , I don't know much about this.

The cubed had a stock revo file that he posted somewhere in the dev forum. Just flash that with CWM and you should be good to go.