[UBUNTU][Testing] How-to install it on the Prime

Search This thread

micduffy

Nov 14, 2004
I already tried it when I installed it. I'm gonna retry, after flashing kernel_chooserv7

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

Tried 5sec ago, doesn't worked...

Card is 8go, class 10, formated in ext4. I did tar -xzf /home/ubuntu/ubuntu-12.04-preinstalled-desktop-armhf+ac100.tar.gz on the root of the card.

Kernel chosser v7 is flashed and work fine. But i can't found the default logins on ubuntu...

Any idea ?

Have u seen this ?

http://lifeinarootshell.blogspot.it/p/this-is-what-i-did-to-get-ubuntu-up-and.html

It discusses a step where (from Android) u do a chroot and then a series of useradd commands

Let me know if you'[re still stuck

Charlus97

Jun 17, 2012
Bordeaux
charley.sedeau.com
Finally got it working by using ext3 partition and, from android, do :

mount -rw -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /Removable <enter>
chroot /Removable /bin/su <enter>
useradd -d /home/USER -m -s /bin/bash USER <enter>
usermod -aG adm,dip,plugdev,lpadmin,sudo USER <enter>
passwd USER <enter>
passwd root <enter>

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

Yeah :) All is working well :)

Editing /etc/modules and wifi working :)

Makrilli

Dec 12, 2011
I already tried it when I installed it. I'm gonna retry, after flashing kernel_chooserv7

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

Tried 5sec ago, doesn't worked...

Card is 8go, class 10, formated in ext4. I did tar -xzf /home/ubuntu/ubuntu-12.04-preinstalled-desktop-armhf+ac100.tar.gz on the root of the card.

Kernel chosser v7 is flashed and work fine. But i can't found the default logins on ubuntu...

Any idea ?

A while ago I also had the low graphics mode problem. I tried to extract the ubuntu and root patch tar to different directories, then copied the root patch files to the ubuntu-folder and then copied all the files and folders from there to root of my sd card :)

Edit: Nevermind I'm just blind

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

elboo

Feb 12, 2010
Thanks to this thread I've been using Ubuntu on the tablet for several months. But the android experience has dropped , the kernel that is in format .bin that we use for this method, only have the normal schedulers ondemand,conservative and io scheduler BFQ and NOOP missing deadline,row,smartass,pegasusqv and the rest that give better performance.

Have you got any kernel that works better than the stock android ?

Another question . Is it very difficult to upgrade to the new bootloader ? .
There are already many roms with 4.2 bootloader that we can't use with the actual bootloader from 4.1 .

Greetings and thanks in advance directly.

Tempie007

Dec 15, 2010
Thanks to this thread I've been using Ubuntu on the tablet for several months. But the android experience has dropped , the kernel that is in format .bin that we use for this method, only have the normal schedulers ondemand,conservative and io scheduler BFQ and NOOP missing deadline,row,smartass,pegasusqv and the rest that give better performance.

Have you got any kernel that works better than the stock android ?

Another question . Is it very difficult to upgrade to the new bootloader ? .
There are already many roms with 4.2 bootloader that we can't use with the actual bootloader from 4.1 .

Greetings and thanks in advance directly.

if you follow the guide below, your tablet will be fine on android, even without custom kernel.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2230779

Reactions: elboo

XPAction

Oct 15, 2008
Unbuntu 13.01 for phones is released.
Time to bring the topic up again

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

smw6180

Oct 31, 2007
Bear, DE
Still not possible to do this with the 4.2 bootloaders I assume? Just read through the last 30 pages and didn't see anyone mention an update compatible with them.

Thanks!

Mangala_Dharma

May 24, 2011
Montreal
I have to admit, personally I just surrendered and bought a computer.. I have a dual boot win + linux ( keep win8 for some tricks, might as well instead of virtual machine as it was pre-installed) and a vm of os x 10.9. It cost me the same price, I got super deal and really good computer, and then I could sell the Prime ( after fixing the broken digitizer and ? #@¥¢ LCD )..

Personally I found that good cellphone ( optimus G ) + good computer meets all my tech need. Honesty I believe that the devs have passed on to greener pastures.. However I might be wrong.

In all cases, as the time passes you'll be more and more on your own. Good luck!

Sent from Somewhere using my Chinchilla

chrischdi

Aug 30, 2010
Stuttgart
Hey guys,

I just compiled the kernel of Paranoid Android with kexec flag.
It's booting for me using kernel chooser but I'm stuck at "Apps getting started".

Maybe someone knows why?
If you want to give it a try.

And a logcat: logcat

If someone knows the problem and how to get rid off it, please write to me :)

Attachments

• zImage-pa-kernel-kexec.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 6
Reactions: wejgomi

0xicl33n

Aug 8, 2010
ive been watching this thread since it was created.....and nothing here tells me if it works at all...i feel as if ASUS abandoned us prime users..as well as the majority of the developers for the prime.......

That being said..Can i do something with my prime, and get rid of linux deploy? So i can actually run it on the tablet screen..instead of in the terminal....

Is this even remotely possible? Is ubuntu (dual boot) possible?

Im using BAKED rom, because half of the roms in the development thread didnt work.....

BAKED TF201 BB-8

Android 4.2.2

elboo

Feb 12, 2010
Hey guys,

I just compiled the kernel of Paranoid Android with kexec flag.
It's booting for me using kernel chooser but I'm stuck at "Apps getting started".

Maybe someone knows why?
If you want to give it a try.

And a logcat: logcat

If someone knows the problem and how to get rid off it, please write to me :)

Android works for me, but wifi doesnt. =(

UbuntuBhoy

Apr 28, 2010
Glasgow
ubuntubhoy.blogspot.com
Hi guys.
I just picked up a second hand Prime and wanted to try dual booting so followed a guide (and used the downloads) from the 'life in a root shell' tutorial. I have setup my SD card, I get the boot menu, but when I try and boot into Ubuntu I only get a blank screen for a few seconds then the device reboots. I have tried searching this thread but the words blank and screen come up that often I have got nowhere.
Does anyone have any info on getting by this problem?

Cheers in advance.

GummyGum173

Feb 7, 2013
Hey :)

I'm about to buy a dock for my Prime and I would appreciate some serious help.
Im kind of new to Android, and TBH dont really like it, and Id like to install ArchLinux ARM on my Prime (then my friends can help me with Arch).
I would like to rewrite the whole systen to Arch, so basicly, I want to format my internal card and install Arch on it, as if my Prime would be a laptop computer, with no Android.

Ive read the thread, ąnd the life in a rootshell blog, bu they all use 'advanced' language describing stuff I dont know, and reading the OS from an external SD rather than overwriting android...
All I know is my bootloader is JB and I run HairyBean on my Prime.

I would really appreciate if someone PMs me and help me out with the very begining (Installing a good kernel, NVFlash, and formating my internal storage).

Thanks in advance!

Mangala_Dharma

May 24, 2011
Montreal
I believe your safest bet is to go with ' Linux-on-Android ' project, for a nice app & download, it used to work, should still.

Good Luck!

Sent from Somewhere using my ' OH My God WTF Is THIS ?!?!!'

ruggie0

Nov 18, 2010
I believe your safest bet is to go with ' Linux-on-Android ' project, for a nice app & download, it used to work, should still.

Good Luck!

Sent from Somewhere using my ' OH My God WTF Is THIS ?!?!!'

But this requires you to run linux in a virtual machine. We were hoping to run linux fully. It would be much smoother.

Sent from my EPAD using XDA Premium HD appYe

chrischdi

Aug 30, 2010
Stuttgart
Hey guys,

I've got some news.
I just compiled a kernel for Paranoid Android 4 and got it successfully running using kernel chooser.

My /data/.kernel.d/paranoidandroid:
Code:
Paranoid Android
/dev/mmcblk0p8:/boot/pa_kernel:/boot/pa_initrd
+tegra_wdt.heartbeat=30 androidboot.selinux=permissive tegraid=30.1.3.0.0 mem=1022M@2048M commchip_id=0 androidboot.serialno=015c7b47c61c0e12 androidboot.commchip_id=0 video=tegrafb no_console_suspend=1 console=ttyS0,115200n8 debug_uartport=lsport,0 usbcore.old_scheme_first=1 lp0_vec=8192@0xbddf9000 tegra_fbmem=4098560@0xabe01000 core_edp_mv=0 audio_codec=wm8903 board_info=245:0:2c:be:28 tegraboot=sdmmc gpt gpt_sector=62078975 android.kerneltype=normal androidboot.productid=0x00 androidboot.carrier=wifi-only

The initrd and kernel:

Next step for me is trying to get arch linux running!

Edit:
My github repo (fork of Voyagers kernel)
https://github.com/chrischdi/android_kernel_asus_tf201

Last edited:
Reactions: elboo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    -----------
    HOW-TO: Ubuntu on Asus Transformer Prime TF201

Port by lilstevie (thank you for your hard work)
    --------

DISCLAIMER:
    I wrote this how-to from my experience installing successfully Ubuntu on my Prime.
    I am in no way responsible for what you do with your Prime, even when you are following my instructions.
    There is always the risk of making it worse, hardbricking your device, and this risk is completely down to you !
    This is not a final version. This port is currently very unstable !
    Install Ubuntu on your TF201 for testing purposes only !

HOW-TO Unbrick your Prime (or not...):
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1514088

--------

VERSION:
    v0.1: First version of the tutorial

ABOUT:
    - Working:
    Wifi – Same patch as for the TF101
    Keyboard (if you have a dock)
    USB Host (if you have a dock)

- Partially working:
    Graphics Acceleration (only 2D at this point)
    Touchscreen (it works but every few touches are off target by 1/2 the screen)

- Not working:
    Bluetooth
    Trackpad
    Sound
    Sensors (ALS, Gyroscope, Accelerometer, GPS, magnetometer)
    Shutdown, Reboot, Suspend

--------

Links:
    Bootimage http://173.244.200.139/ports/prime-sdlinux.blob
    RootFS http://173.244.200.139/ports/ubuntu-prime.img.gz
    Fastboot http://alpharev.nl/wintools.zip

MD5:
    9625d336062b2ff7eb9530dd5e48fb9e prime-sdlinux.blob
    1a59e7918c199a85f805cb62ca130dae ubuntu.img
    81238957a42b207213442cba7eeff684 wintools.zip

--------

Hardware:
    Asus Transformer Prime TF201 (bootloader unlocked & with data/charge cable)
    A computer with Linux installed
    MicroSD card of at least 4GB (a fast card is better)

--------

Pre-requisities:
    1. You need to have an already unlocked Prime.
    To unlock it, use the official Asus Bootloader Unlock Tool APK on Android.

2. You need to have the latest ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery installed to easily backup & restore your device.
    To install it, you can use the Android tool 'ROM Manager' from Play Store if you system is already rooted.
    Otherwise, you can use the 'Fastboot' tool along with this tutorial (BE CAREFUL!):
    HOW-TO 1: http://www.theandroidsoul.com/install-cwm-5-8-2-0-on-transformer-prime/
    HOW-TO 2: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1576937

(You can also install the Touch version of CWM to avoid destroying your volume buttons while navigating :D)
    CLASSIC : http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-5.8.2.0-tf201.img
    TOUCH : http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.1.8-tf201.img

3. Before trying to do anything with your device, make a full nandroid backup of the current WORKING Android system.

To do that:
    - Reboot on CWM (see the sticky, at the end)
    - Navigate to 'backup and restore', then 'backup'
    - Wait until the full backup is done...

--------

- INSTALL Ubuntu -

Introduction:
    To have a working Ubuntu system on the Prime, you have to:
    - Extract the root file system on your MicroSD card
    - Flash the bootimage right on the device

While installing Ubuntu, the only thing you modify about Android, is the bootimage. You leave the system intact,
    so you'll be able to do a pseudo-dualboot between Ubuntu, and Android (we'll see that later).

HOW-TO:
    Extraction of the root filesystem:
    - Connect your MicroSD card on the computer running linux (ex: /dev/sdc)
    - Umount all current partitions from the card
    - Using fdisk, fully erase it, rebuild partition table, and create one partition (ex: /dev/sdc1)
    - Format it in 'ext4' (ex: $ mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdc1)
    - Using 'dd' command, extract the 'ubuntu.img' filesystem to the recently created partition
    (ex: $ dd if=ubuntu.img of=/dev/sdc1)
    - Wait until extraction completes... (It takes a while...)
    - Mount the partition to verify that the extraction completes successfully (ex: $ mount /dev/sdc1 folder)
    - Umount it, eject the card and put it on the Prime (ex: $ umount /dev/sdc1)
    - Your Ubuntu filesystem is ready to use !

Flashing the bootimage (BE CAREFUL!):
    - Reboot in fastboot mode (see the sticky, at the end)
    - Connect the Prime to the computer, and be sure the drivers are correctly installed
    You can find the drivers here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1426502
    - Extract the fastboot archive 'wintools.zip' and move the file 'prime-sdlinux.blob' in the same folder
    - Execute the command: fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash boot prime-sdlinux.blob
    (WARNING! This command will overwrite the bootimage of your Prime! Be sure you know what you're doing!)
    - Wait until the flash completes... (it generally takes a few seconds...)
    - When the blue progress bar is full, on the Prime, hold the Power switch to reboot the device
    - Be sure that the MicroSD card is in the Prime
    - Your Prime is now booting on Ubuntu, you should see some text displaying on the screen
    - Wait until the system initializes... (It takes a while for the first boot...)
    You should see kernel verbose booting, displaying something saying the system is resizing a partition
    on the MicroSD card...
    - Your Ubuntu system is installed ! You can do the graphical basic setup, then do a hard reboot of the device !
    - Good luck with your freshly installed Ubuntu on your awsome Asus Transformer Prime !

--------

- RESTORE Android -

Introduction:
    After installing Ubuntu, to have Android back on the Prime, you have to:
    - (OPTIONAL: Do a full nandroid backup to be able to restore the Ubuntu bootimage directly from the CWM later)
    - Simply restore the Android bootimage from the nandroid backup made before the installation of Ubuntu

HOW-TO:
    To do that:
    - Go to 'backup and restore', then 'advanced restore'
    - Choose the Android backup made before installing Ubuntu
    - Choose 'Restore boot' option
    - Wait until the restore is done...
    - Choose 'reboot system now' to boot in Android

--------

- DUALBOOT Android/Ubuntu -

Introduction:
    We can note that the both systems are installed on two different storage devices.
    Android is directly on the device and Ubuntu is on the MicroSD.
    The only thing that changes between the two systems is the bootimage.
    If you have a nandroid backup of each WORKING systems, you can do an advanced restore of the boot 'boot.img'
    of Ubuntu to boot it from the MicroSD card, or restore the boot of the Android backup to boot on Android !

HOW-TO:
    To do that:
    - Go to 'backup and restore', then 'advanced restore'
    - Choose the correct backup (the Android one, or the Ubuntu one)
    - Choose 'Restore boot' option
    - Wait until the restore is done...

--------

STICKY:
    - Booting the Prime on recovery mode (CWM):
    1. Power off the device (using Android, or by a long press of the power switch)
    2. Power it on, by keeping simultaneously pressed the power switch and the volume down button
    3. When text displays on top of the screen, release all, and press the volume up button
    4. Wait a few seconds and CWM will appear on the Prime...

- Booting the prime in fastboot mode:
    1. Power off the device (using Android, or by a long press of the power switch)
    2. Power it on, by keeping simultaneously pressed the power switch and the volume down button
    3. Wait until the message saying 'OS will coldboot in 10 seconds' etc... then release all buttons
    4. Use the volume down button to select the USB icon
    5. Validate with volume up
    6. You can connect your device to a computer to send fastboot commands...
    Here is a video of the current status.

There is a blog post coming soon.
    You have pubblished new files ?
    We are anxiously awaiting :D

there is a major bug with the 3.1 kernel which is holding things up at the moment, there is a race condition which means the boot needs to be broken out into an initrd shell and resumed to work
    Can You write on How-to for install one distro complete ?

no, and the reason will make you happy!
    just now i've got kexec works! :laugh:

PLEASE STOP TESTING ROOT_CHOOSER v5.
    configuration files syntax will change for support external kernel loading.

so, let me make root_chooser v6 and a custom kernel for boot everything.
    i'll update you soon!

Cheers!
    i did it!
    the touchpad WORKS!
    ensure to have xf86-input-synaptics package installed ( on ubuntu should be 'xserver-xorg-input-synaptics' ).

as usually you can find everything here: https://github.com/tux-mind/tf201-dev
    for update your TF201 follow this guide: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Asus_Transformer_Prime#INSTALLING_THE_KERNEL

we ALWAYS provide the source code, for now all our kernel changes are in the JB15.patch file.
    if you want to contribute i'll add you to the repository collaborators.

cheers!