Android 4.1 - TF700

Search This thread

BossMafia2

Jun 15, 2010
Here's my little 2c on what likely happened:

The update was announced to be shipped. This means that the engineers were already running it on their tablets. They had to have been. I'm sure most debugging activities don't involve going on social networking, or similar sites/apps regardless of how popular they are, it might even be forbidden since Facebook is often seen by companies as a time sink. The update is all set, ready to ship, one engineer loads up Facebook on his dev tablet, probably to tell his friends/family the good news or whatever, and says "hey, I can't type anything in to this comment box with my keyboard, this is no good!" leading the engineers to test out other applications that use a similar input field. Upon discovering that a certain style of input field causes the keyboard to do whatever is wrong, they pull the update to fix it as soon as they can. In this case, only a couple days after their original deadline.

I'm sure a ton of apps use the same input style as the Facebook comment box, Gary only mentioned Facebook because it's likely an app most people use. It boils down to a matter of what you would rather have, JB right now, and possibility an inability to type in a wide range of text boxes, or waiting like 2 extra days for a more complete rom.

We can throw stones at them all day for announcing the update then redacting it. We can call them unprofessional (though I don't see how, it's more professional to release a fixed product than one they know from the get-go is malfunctioning). We can do whatever. Keep in mind though, that in software development, especially in a large scale, it's virtually impossible to test every possible use-case. Big companies don't release beta software to the masses for a reason (we can't count Google in this, their approach is almost entirely based off beta software), usually relating to design secrets and company image, so they likely only have a team of 20 or so engineers testing this thing out all in a group.

Sorry for this rant, it just irks me to see a large group of us behaving like 10 year olds here. This tablet was sold out for weeks, thousands must have shipped. A lot of us complain about build quality, but a lot of us is still only, what, 10-15 people with issues? I, for one, got mine off NewEgg over a month ago, and have zero build issues. At least Asus gives us a support rep, and if he isn't around much to help with our questions, it's probably because every time they announce something, we bash them for days. My phone (Dinc2) was supposed to get -ICS- by the end of August, and still hasn't. This was announced months before the deadline and we got nothing. If you look over to the forums, you'll see a bunch of people joking around and being light-hearted about the whole thing.

And to the people who want to not have the OTA autodownload, freeze or move CMClient, that's the one that checks for updates.

woodsonmh

Dec 2, 2010
I seem to be the center of the "ten year olds". Right or wrong i responded to Gary. No one else. There are a bunch of post telling me i don't have the right to my opinion, and i dont have the right to express it to Gary.
I'm upset they announced the update without being one hundred percent ready. As to the facebook comment, i see it as how can we placate the most people. Facebook ya and keybord.
Woody

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

xcal321

Aug 13, 2012
I'm upset they announced the update without being one hundred percent ready.

This is just it. They were 100% ready and thus made the announcement. After that, some app from an external source was updated and was causing issues. They discovered it, and decided to fix it before it would cause more harm. They could have chosen not to, but Asus chose quality over speed (and I agree with them).

I can tell you from experience, this happens all the time, whether it be hardware, software or both, when dealing with multiple inputs (external app sources), you can be almost guaranteed to have to make late adjustments, even when they go in the opposite direction you were heading before that.

Yes, I was disappointed too, that they put the release on hold, but I am glad they did.

Reactions: jonstrong

timrock

Dec 10, 2010
I seem to be the center of the "ten year olds". Right or wrong i responded to Gary. No one else. There are a bunch of post telling me i don't have the right to my opinion, and i dont have the right to express it to Gary.
I'm upset they announced the update without being one hundred percent ready. As to the facebook comment, i see it as how can we placate the most people. Facebook ya and keybord.
Woody

so if they had released the update, and then you discovered a bug, would you make a thread complaining about that too?

fatpandas

Mar 30, 2009
Woody

This is just it. They were 100% ready and thus made the announcement. After that, some app from an external source was updated and was causing issues. They discovered it, and decided to fix it before it would cause more harm. They could have chosen not to, but Asus chose quality over speed (and I agree with them).

I can tell you from experience, this happens all the time, whether it be hardware, software or both, when dealing with multiple inputs (external app sources), you can be almost guaranteed to have to make late adjustments, even when they go in the opposite direction you were heading before that.

Yes, I was disappointed too, that they put the release on hold, but I am glad they did.

so if they had released the update, and then you discovered a bug, would you make a thread complaining about that too?

we all seem to be missing the big discussion at hand.
swiss or cheddar?!

i generally prefer swiss but it really depends on what i'm eating it with.

calin.berindea

Oct 21, 2009
My TF201 just got the fresh and official Jelly Bean 3 hours ago (Romania). Even without a data wipe, the tablet seems much more responsive.

Last edited:

tvachev

Jul 29, 2006
Sofia
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3

The tablet has it's problems. A lot of them already. I do not want JB. I would appreciate it if these problems are solved. I don't care if the solution name were Pineapple or Gingerbread. They have not discovered any bugs when they were releasing the tablet? What a joke :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Thats OK

Jul 29, 2012
I am soooo glad Android took over for windows in the piss and moan department teeheehee...

Personally I got a lot of mileage out of crying about the various windows versions.
Fortunately I was beaten down like a good user and found my place whether I liked it or not.

What's amusing is, windows still poops on me occasionally and I don't even care anymore.

OK what was being discussed on this here thread?
I forgot.

Midnitte

Jun 17, 2010
New Jersey
I was complaining about that with tongue firmly planted in cheek. Note the: "I see what I did right there". I saw Gary's post and was just killing time going back to find it... it was 10 pages of complaining of one form or another. First, people complained about the people that would be complaining. Then, people complained about why the update was delayed. Then people complained about the people disappointed that the update wasn't coming out on time. I just figured I would "Inception" it a little bit and complain about the complaining of the complainers complaining about their disappointment. Or in other words: 10 solid pages of complaining in one form or another and I was going to add my useless $0.02 to it too. :)

I'm going to complain about you.

sent from LG optimus s (republic wireless) on tapatalk

woodsonmh

Dec 2, 2010

NO AND I DIDN'T START THIS ONE.

I said what i said to Gary a representive of Asus, a company that has a history of delivering less than promised. If people hadn't started making snide comments that do recognize that i am not a flamer and have not been one for the couple of years I've been around xda, none of this would have happened. I made a mistake trying to respond. I regret letting this get out of hand. I Apologize to xda in general and those that didn't accuse me of flaming.
I'm done.
Woody

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good Day,

Official Press Statement -

Dear Valued ASUS Customers,

We are pleased to announce that we will soon be rolling out a major software update for both the ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity (TF700) and ASUS Transformer Pad Prime (TF201), which will bring Android™ 4.1, Jelly Bean to the devices. We always strive to deliver the latest updates for our customers – we hope you enjoy it.

Thank you for your continued support.

North American Update -
    For those users in the US and Canada, the 10.4.4.14.1 Release is held.

North American Update - 9/27/2012
    For those users in the US and Canada, the 10.4.4.16 Release should be available early next week. A couple of applications that were recently updated (Facebook 1.9.10 on 9/20 as one example) required a last minute firmware update for the keyboard to operate correctly in the "Comment" area with Android 4.1. Sorry about the delay but this fix needed to be implemented before release.

North American Update -
    The JB update will be rolling out today. I highly recommend doing a factory reset on ICS, reboot, load the JB update, shutdown, and then start. It will offer the best performance compared to a straight update to JB, especially if you have a lot of apps or custom software loaded. Yes, it is a pain but it makes a real difference in the operation of the unit. Also, if you have rooted the unit I would recommend going back to a stock ICS load before updating. If you are unlocked, the JB update will not be available OTA.

In regards to applications, we have run through the top 500 apps on Play and there are a few applications that might only run in portrait mode or might white screen (Bike Race Free). Google is working with the developers on JB updates now. Also, several Google Apps will recommend an update (updates post 9/20) and we suggest accepting these for best performance.
    OK guys.. i have tried to clean the last few pages, but i know there is more i have missed...

Let me just say this; i understand user's frustrations with build quality and other issues. This is not the place the vent them. But the flaming is a real issue.. this thread was filled with needless fighting, and I expect better of the community. You " productive members of this forum" should know better than this - believe me when i say that the next person who causes a fight will have more than just their post deleted...

Carry on.. if you have a comment to make that is ON TOPIC, make it.. otherwise, more on..
    Release Update

North American Update - 9/27/2012
    10.4.4.14.1 Release is held.

For those users in the US and Canada, the 10.4.4.16 Release should be available early next week. A couple of applications that were recently updated (Facebook 1.9.10 on 9/20 as one example) required a last minute firmware update for the keyboard to operate correctly in the "Comment" area with Android 4.1. Sorry about the slight delay but this fix needed to be implemented before release.
    Why would you post just to ask someone why they posted..... um... hold a sec... seeing an infinite loop developing here...

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda premium

umm because both of the posts didnt really belong here.

1. The one giving the source that JB will be out in 72 hours, when that's exactly what the OP states, and also the OP is the source of the article he linked. Kinda redundant no?

2. The 2nd because it's totally off topic. What does updating superuser have anything to do with this topic?

and 3. because I'm a mod and I can post calling out someone who posted incorrectly or redundantly as it's my job to do so. :p
    WARNING: READ THIS NOW:
    When Asus released their official Jelly Bean 4.1 update for the TF300, recoveries and ROMs based on ICS kernels were unable to boot. (I believe that this may be due to Trusted Platform). Most likely we'll see a repeat of this problem on the TF700 and TF201. Do not panic. I'll update TWRP as soon as possible to use updated kernels. Most likely we won't get kernel source right away so that means that JB users will not be able to back up and restore boot until we get the new kernel source. If you mess around with your recovery on your TF700 after installing JB you may end up soft-bricking your tablet. If you have nvflash access you will be able to fix it, but without nvflash you may end up with a brick that can only be fixed by Asus. You have been warned.

P.S. Might be a good idea to add this to the original post.