[Q] Initial backup/ image for new device

Search This thread

cbx6

Mar 14, 2014
Hi,

Very noob with a very noob questions :D

I read a lot about backups etc... Some have to be rooted first...

I'm used with my Windows computers to make a genuine unstarted system image (Ghost, now Acronis)
When I have a new computer, I take out the main HDD and make an image or boot with an Acronis boot disk and make an genuine image, can I do something similar with Android devices?

Is EFS the system image or just the system files, restoring an EFS backup is enough to make a device bootable again without Root?

Windows PC suitable for this? ADB I guess...

Perhaps it's not possible because I haven't see any topic about making an genuine image before first start of an new device or restoring a factory image... Every time Root is involved

Thank you to make me a little wiser :D Sorry for my poor english :D

GermainZ

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Aug 3, 2012
You probably want an adb backup or a nandroid backup.

Reactions: cbx6

cbx6

Mar 14, 2014
Hi GermainZ,

Thanks for the tip, I'll look for both alternatives, probably ADB I guess...
Will the backup be bootable or the simple fact to recopy all the files is sufficient to boot the device? Windows uses a boot sector, is there something equivalent in Android?

Thanks ;)

GermainZ

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Aug 3, 2012
Hi GermainZ,

Thanks for the tip, I'll look for both alternatives, probably ADB I guess...
Will the backup be bootable or the simple fact to recopy all the files is sufficient to boot the device? Windows uses a boot sector, is there something equivalent in Android?

Thanks ;)
The backup can be restored from your recovery (nandroid backup) or using adb (for adb backups.) You can't directly boot from it, not really.
For the boot sector, I'm not sure what that is for Windows. The bootloader, maybe? Android has that too, of course.

cbx6

Mar 14, 2014
of course the bootloader :D I lost my brain I think :D

Is the bootloader a part of the firmware or is it copiable as a file, I'll find it out :D
On a Windows HDD it's a track (boot sector) but UEfI bios modifies the game now

So a full Android system restore is firmware + backup I guess ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You probably want an adb backup or a nandroid backup.