Screen went blank after flashing boot.img

Search This thread

dvdmrn

Feb 8, 2014
Bogota
Meaning to install CyanogenMod I followed CyanogenMod wiki instructions (can't post link here)
Only that I have TWRP instead of CWM.
When I got to installing "CyanogenMod from recovery" I got a message saying that the pushing had failed because permissions did not allow it.
So I tried a solution they suggested for a similar message which did not work, and then I read the note at the bottom that says the kernel should be flashed via fastboot, I flashed it but now it's just blank (I guess because it has an alien kernel and the rest is the same)
I dont have a copy of my previous boot.img

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Not enough information provided, please provide the following:

-Your bootloader details
-Your current TWRP version
-The exact filename of the ROM zip you flashed
-Is the phone powering on at all

Sent from my Evita

dvdmrn

Feb 8, 2014
Bogota
Not enough information provided, please provide the following:

-Your bootloader details HBOOT 2.15.0000 S-OFF
-Your current TWRP version 2.6.3
-The exact filename of the ROM zip you flashedcm-10.2.1-evita.zip I tried to flash it but couldnt do it on adb only flash the boot.img
-Is the phone powering on at all yes it is, it goes through the start screen and when it would show the icons it's just black with the backlight on

Sent from my Evita

Answers

dvdmrn

Feb 8, 2014
Bogota
What do you mean you couldn't do it on adb? Do what on adb? You don't use adb to flash a ROM.

Sent from my Evita

I mean to push the rom on the root of the sdcard: look at the instructions I followed:

Place the CyanogenMod rom .zip file on the root of the SD card using adb:
Transfer your file(s): adb push YOURROMZIP.zip /sdcard/
If you boot directly to recovery and have an internal sdcard, you may need to run adb shell mount /sdcard or mount data through the recovery menu before transferring.
If you see "error: device not found" there is likely a driver issue on the PC.
If you see "error: insufficient permissions for device", try "adb kill-server" and then run "adb devices" to see if the device is attached.
On some devices, the zip file can be copied to the device using standard USB Mass Storage or MTP support. Boot the device normally and transfer the file to it.
Optional: Place any supplemental packages (e.g. Google Apps[1] or kernel) .zip file(s) on the root of the SD card.
Boot to recovery mode on the device by holding With the device powered down, hold the Volume Down and Power buttons until HBOOT appears, then release the buttons. Navigate using the volume keys and select RECOVERY using the Power key..
Once the device boots into the ClockworkMod Recovery, use the physical volume buttons to move up and down. On most devices, the power button is used to confirm your selection, although for some devices the power button is used as a "back" button to go up one level, in which case the home button is used to confirm the selection.
Optional/Recommended: Select backup and restore to create a backup of the current installation on the device. If this option is missing, it's likely because the stock ROM has overwritten your custom recovery on boot.
Select the option to wipe data/factory reset.
Select install zip from sdcard.
Select choose zip from sdcard.
Select the CyanogenMod file you placed on the sdcard. You will then need to then confirm that you do wish to flash this file.
Optional: Install any additional packages you wish using the same method.
Once the installation has finished, return back to the main menu, and select the reboot system now option. The device should now boot into CyanogenMod.

And the note I mentioned:
Note:

This device, if unlocked with HTC Dev Unlock, MUST have its kernel flashed via fastboot! Extract the boot.img from the rom zip and flash using fastboot flash boot boot.img

Last edited:

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
I mean to push the rom on the root of the sdcard: look at the instructions I followed:

So you never actually flashed the ROM but you flashed the boot.img from the ROM zip anyway? No wonder it isn't working, you've flashed an incompatible boot.img onto whatever ROM you previously had installed (which is still installed by the way because flashing a boot.img does not flash a ROM).

All you needed to do was mount your sd card using TWRP (menu/mount/mount usb storage) and copy the ROM zip across, then install it. You have s-off so you don't ever need to flash the boot.img separately.

I really think you need to do some research, it seems you lack even a basic understanding of what you're doing. You don't know what a boot.img is or what it does or how or why you would need to flash it. You don't seem to know how to use your custom recovery. You don't seem to know how to install a ROM.

A lack of knowledge is almost always what leads to somebody bricking their phone, which I'm sure you don't want to happen. Do yourself a favour and spend the next couple of days reading up so you have a better understanding of modified devices. A great place to start would be my Evita FAQ thread and my How-To Guide For Beginners thread, you'll find both in my signature.

Sent from my Evita

---------- Post added at 06:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 AM ----------

And the note I mentioned:

I'm not sure where you found that note but it isn't entirely correct. Only Evitas with s-on and a hboot greater than 1.09 need to flash the boot.img via fastboot.

Sent from my Evita

dvdmrn

Feb 8, 2014
Bogota
So you never actually flashed the ROM but you flashed the boot.img from the ROM zip anyway? No wonder it isn't working, you've flashed an incompatible boot.img onto whatever ROM you previously had installed (which is still installed by the way because flashing a boot.img does not flash a ROM).

All you needed to do was mount your sd card using TWRP (menu/mount/mount usb storage) and copy the ROM zip across, then install it. You have s-off so you don't ever need to flash the boot.img separately.

I really think you need to do some research, it seems you lack even a basic understanding of what you're doing. You don't know what a boot.img is or what it does or how or why you would need to flash it. You don't seem to know how to use your custom recovery. You don't seem to know how to install a ROM.

A lack of knowledge is almost always what leads to somebody bricking their phone, which I'm sure you don't want to happen. Do yourself a favour and spend the next couple of days reading up so you have a better understanding of modified devices. A great place to start would be my Evita FAQ thread and my How-To Guide For Beginners thread, you'll find both in my signature.

Sent from my Evita

---------- Post added at 06:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 AM ----------

I'm not sure where you found that note but it isn't entirely correct. Only Evitas with s-on and a hboot greater than 1.09 need to flash the boot.img via fastboot.

Sent from my Evita

This is where it's from
wiki cyanogenmod org / w / Install_CM_for_evita

I'm sorry for having hurried and done that but I couldn't flash the ROM and there were no more instructions, I've been reading for the last months, and even though I thought replacing the kernel could not be the best idea, it was the only idea I could get from those instructions and I thought maybe the kernel would have to be moved first for some reason. Anyway, thank you very much for your patience, I have to do it today because I have to travel and at&t limitations on the network -since it forces 4G- won't allow me to use my current carrier. I tried just moving the ROM by mounting and it worked. Thanks man