official 5.6.890 (download) not leak

Search This thread

LRiley

Aug 3, 2010
Yes, I made sure both of those were checked. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Anybody know why step 3 might be failing, and can't push busybox? I'm hoping psouza can chime in with a suggestion. Is there an issue with this update?

I'm stuck, and this phone just isn't the same without root.

did you try rebooting and trying root again?

HEMItude

Nov 1, 2010
did you try rebooting and trying root again?

Yes, I've tried it several times with many reboots. I even tried to have it do the unroot process, then attempt root again and got the same thing.

I even made the attempt on two different computers, but that didn't make a difference. So the problem lies within the phone somewhere.

Androidsims

Feb 21, 2011
West Palm Beach, FL
Yes, I've tried it several times with many reboots. I even tried to have it do the unroot process, then attempt root again and got the same thing.

I even made the attempt on two different computers, but that didn't make a difference. So the problem lies within the phone somewhere.

Just flash system.img from the fastboot files and then root, it's the same update anyways.

WarER4X

Dec 9, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
So I must be doing something wrong. I've tried unzipping and dropping the file into the sdcard folder and the sedcard-ext folder. Is it supposed to go into the phone's memory?? I thought it said to drop it on the SD card.... geez I'm lame.

I'm pretty sure it will only allow updates from /mnt/sdcard (which is the internal storage) and not from /mnt/sdcard-ext (which is your actual sdcard). Is that where you put it?

-SR-

mkultramega

Jan 17, 2011

This happened to me on a few occasions. Run PSouza's temp ADB root. ABD shell to the phone. Remount system as R/W. Remove the su binary from /system/bin and /system/xbin. ADB push the su binary to /system/bin. CHMOD the su binary. Reboot twice. Run superuser.apk on the phone and it should see it has root and prompt to update.

For some reason /system/xbin doesn't always work; at least 2 phones have had this weird issue.

Sorry for lack of detail. No access to my documentation ATM.

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA App

HEMItude

Nov 1, 2010
This happened to me on a few occasions. Run PSouza's temp ADB root. ABD shell to the phone. Remount system as R/W. Remove the su binary from /system/bin and /system/xbin. ADB push the su binary to /system/bin. CHMOD the su binary. Reboot twice. Run superuser.apk on the phone and it should see it has root and prompt to update.

For some reason /system/xbin doesn't always work; at least 2 phones have had this weird issue.

Sorry for lack of detail. No access to my documentation ATM.

Not sure on how to do a couple of those things, but I will do some searching and try to find out. If you get a change to give me a little more detail, that would be great.

Thanks for the response, I appreciate you taking the time.

mkultramega

Jan 17, 2011
Not sure on how to do a couple of those things, but I will do some searching and try to find out. If you get a change to give me a little more detail, that would be great.

No problem. I'll try to get to my computer, but it will be a few hours. Meanwhile, everything you need is in PSouza's tool in the support_files folder.

PM me or just reply with your status and I will try to assist.

Start by going into a command prompt and CD to the support_files folder. From there you can run ADB shell to get connected to the phone. Do you have a # prompt when you connect?

Keep me posted!

Last edited:
Reactions: HEMItude

HEMItude

Nov 1, 2010
No problem. I'll try to get to my computer, but it will be a few hours. Meanwhile, everything you need is in PSouza's tool in the support_files folder.

Start by going into a command prompt and CD to the support_files folder. From there you can run ADB shell to get connected to the phone. Do you have a # prompt when you connect?

Keep me posted!

Hey, I'll be damned...worked like a charm!!

I knew about the support files with psouza's tool, but just needed to figure out a few of the basic ADB commands.

It was pretty simple once you pointed me in the right direction.
You sir are the man...and I really appreciate your help. Thanks again.

Reactions: eww245

mkultramega

Jan 17, 2011

I knew about the support files with psouza's tool, but just needed to figure out a few of the basic ADB commands.

Glad to be of assistance!
FWIW I PM'd you a step-by-step.

Last edited:

eww245

Aug 19, 2008
Throop
Thanks for posting this, just what I was wating for, the final verification that 890 is the official update. Couldn't wait for the OTA though probably would never come. `check for update is not available at this time`

I hate the thanks button

verkerria

Mar 13, 2011
Arkansas just pushed tonight, unfroze and applied while rooted, no ill effects so far, except loss of root access
Droid 1 Rooted (ChevyNo1 0.9MV Kernel, LGB2.6)
Droid 3 Rooted (Stock Kernel, Custom lite De-bloat)

rvschuil

Oct 7, 2010
Hmm, i'm unable to install the OTA. I did some freezing, but unfroze it before install. I also edited my build.prop and some other system files. Could that be the cause?

It just rebooted and said "sorry, the installation failed" or something.

LaTropa64

Feb 7, 2010
What apps will I need to restore to successfully apply this update? I've removed the following:

Apps 1.02.16
Backup Assistant 2.3.4
Backup Assistant Client 1.0
Blockbuster 0.8
Citrix Receiver 2.1.1059
City ID 1.1.7
DLNA 0709.69
GoToMeeting 1.0
Guided Tours 2.3.4
Help Center 2.3.4
IM 3.0.4.6
IM Presence 2.3.4
News 2.3.4
NFL Mobile 4.0
Skyp mobile 1.6.0.15
Slacker 2.1.191
Social Location 2.0
Social Networking 2.3.4
Task Manager 10.0
Tasks 1.0
V CAST Media Manager 4.2.99.36
V CAST Music 03.72.107
V CAST Tones 4.5.7
V CAST Videos 5.72.005
Voice Commands
Voicemail 1.1
VZ Navigator 7.1.5.33
Weather 2.3.4
ZumoCast 1.0.17

Also, what are the chances of bricking my phone if I just go ahead and try applying the update without restoring any of those apps?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The update was pushed to my phone today, don't know if its available for everybody or if its rolling out in baches, but I have the file and I'm not signed up for the soak test so I'm assuming its official.
    http://www.multiupload.com/5ZMDB712T9
    just unzip the rar
    don't know if anything is different but there it is
    YES you can root afterwards
    In DC no update yet either. Am I gonna have to reroot applying this or unroot then reroot?

you don't have to unroot before the update but you will have to root afterwards

Were you rooted prior to the updated? Had you removed or moved any bloatware prior to the update? Just wondering if the update unroots or fails if pre-loaded software is missing.
    I rooted before the update but I didn't remove bloatware, if you did it will probably fail. you can replace your deleted bloatware with PetesMotorolaRootTools
    The MD5sum is the same as the leak from last month, meaning it hasn't been touched since before it was leaked. Also means all the same fixes and issues are present.

Sent from my DROID3 using xda premium

Keep me posted!

Keep me posted!