4.4.2 KK Update Fix.

Search This thread

jazzespresso

Jul 24, 2012
NYC-USA
nice steps....
I am all stock 4.4.2 now, only thing I am missing is root....still looking around to see if anyone able to successfully rooted their stock 4.4.2 yet...

B_I_N_G_E

Aug 25, 2013
For anyone trying to find an easy way around this whole update mess. Just go to your local best buy store and talk to one of the Samsung reps. They don't have the kit kat update yet but however they can reflash 4.3 on your phone wiping out all your data (make sure you do a back up from home) and this will let you get the OTA update with no problems. My note 3 has been rooted twice one being last night and it worked. Just make sure your not rooted when you take your phone.
I would have to agree. I just got back from Best Buy. Make sure to call first though. For me it was: Best Buy 1 "What is firmware/flash?" Best Buy 2 "Oh sure come on in we'll do that for you". I tried the fixes but it just wasn't happening for me. I'm done with root :/

JDBoogie

Jun 30, 2011
How did you do the update? If you have the files you should be good to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

Did you rename the file? And is it a .zip file? Sounds like you tried the wrong file.

i just re downloaded the "Update" file and tried again. Now i get:
Verifying current system
/system/bin/app_process has unexpected contents
E:Error in /tmp/update.zip
(status 7)
installation aborted.

ariel123

Jan 28, 2009
New Jersey
I would have to agree. I just got back from Best Buy. Make sure to call first though. For me it was: Best Buy 1 "What is firmware/flash?" Best Buy 2 "Oh sure come on in we'll do that for you". I tried the fixes but it just wasn't happening for me. I'm done with root :/

Yea me too even though I hear if you root you can add mores to the multi app drawer and be able to have 4 windows at the same time

Ciberious42

Mar 16, 2013
i just re downloaded the "Update" file and tried again. Now i get:
Verifying current system
/system/bin/app_process has unexpected contents
E:Error in /tmp/update.zip
(status 7)

installation aborted.

I would hunt this file down but it is in the discussion thread. I am at work I'll do what I can when I get home.

yourbeatdude

Jan 24, 2014
Bethlehem
Everyone saying they went to best buy or what not... lol... I was on nb4 and having the update error at 27%. All you have to do is root with kingo 1.1.8 use es explorer change all the files from the fix.zip. unroot through super su restart change your date a day ahead and pull the OTA update. Did it twice now and worked great!!!

Reactions: lehighkid

TeldenW

Everyone saying they went to best buy or what not... lol... I was on nb4 and having the update error at 27%. All you have to do is root with kingo 1.1.8 use es explorer change all the files from the fix.zip. unroot through super su restart change your date a day ahead and pull the OTA update. Did it twice now and worked great!!!

This is the exact issue I'm having.
Could you help a brother out? Did you not do the first couple steps? the ADB stuff? you just went straight to root?
Thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

yourbeatdude

Jan 24, 2014
Bethlehem
This is the exact issue I'm having.
Could you help a brother out? Did you not do the first couple steps? the ADB stuff? you just went straight to root?
Thank you!

Right, I didn't adb anything. On stock nb4 I rooted with kingo changed all the files in the fix.zip and that's it. Although, I kinda miss Knoxraid but stock is always good once in awhile. :)

shane1981

Mar 11, 2014
millington
So do you just add all these files and delete the others or leave them be or what?

shane1981

Mar 11, 2014
millington
Since i dont have a computer i cant do that. I just want to know what to do with the files that are already there and what will happen if i delete them.?

carl1961

Dec 5, 2010
Tickfaw

brauckmiller

Apr 12, 2010
I am so freakin frustrated. I have been dickin' around with this for 2 days now. I've read every post, I've downloaded every file mentioned.

I've copied all of the files to the correct directory. I am running into the app_process bug. I grabbed the dump previously mentioned and replaced BOTH files in my /system/bin directory. I then 3-finger salute and go into adb mode and try to sideload. The upload goes fine, but I still get the app_process failure.

What now?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    INFO: Rooted Version of NB4, I was on 4.4.2 Kit Kat leaked. I reverted to MJ5 from the leaked version then updated to NB4 and rooted with kingo.

Thanks to...

@smokeystack76
    @Otisrhw
    @Jakman85
    @Azrael.arach
    @Budrweber

UPDATE: 3/30/14
    The same method has been confirmed by @Budrweber but instead of using adb, just flash from your ext sd card.

NOTE: ADB SIDELOAD WILL NOT CAUSE A WIPE, BUT PUSHING THE UPDATE FROM EXTERNAL SD WILL WIPE ALL DATA.

Few users have reported unrooting on NB4 after changing files and downloading the OTA and updating normally.

USB DEBUGGING MUST BE ENABLED, if you are this far there is no need for me to explain how to turn it on. If your phone is unresponsive to your computer even though you have installed, re-install via Kies 3. Turn Kies 3 off before running ADB.

First of all, you are going to need an ADB Sideloader and it can be found here.

Install to directory C:\Mini-SDK

We'll come back to ADB later.

Now you're going to need the update file found here.

Rename the file to update. (DO NOT NAME UPDATE.ZIP, JUST "UPDATE".)

Place "UPDATE" into the same directory as your ADB C:\Mini-SDK

Now lets leave ADB and the Update file alone and start replacing the files on your phone! :)

You'll need the following files.

system/xbin/dexdump (if deleted you can find the file here or you can copy/paste & replace)

system/csc/feature.xml (If deleted find it here.
    Delete the original "feature.xml" and rename "feature.xml.bak" to "feature.xml")

Download the fix.zip from this page.

You do not have to reset permissions, I did not how ever do as you feel and works for you.

Step 1 copy the mobicore-presetup.sh to /system/bin

Step 2 copy all the APK files to /system/app.

Now navigate to system/bin

You should have a "ddexe" file, if it is named "ddexe_real", rename it to 'ddexe".

This should fix all the known errors in the process of adb side loading.

If you continue to get more errors use the file dump located here.

UPDATE: app_process is another recurring error, please grab this file from the dump uploaded from @smokeystack76

Now to the fun and most anticipated part of the day...

Volume + button up, power and home button all at the same time. Release once you see Recovery mode.

Navigate to Update from ADB.

Plug up to USB.

Now, when you start windows cmd prompt, you can either start from the ADB folder is located in by control, shift + right clicking or manual cmd.exe in "run" or "search"

Once command prompt is loaded,

Type in the following command.

"CD /D C:/MINI-SDK"

Then if you are in the right directory and you placed the "update" file accordingly... type...

ADB SIDELOAD UPDATE.ZIP(the file name should not have .zip or you will get a "can not read" message.)

and now you should be on your way to 4.4.2 Kit Kat.
    Thank you budrweber, I have to add that to the op.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app