How to build your own wm6 language OS from M$ SDK

Search This thread

Bram87

Apr 1, 2007
Zwolle
Ok.. I hope this could be a HOW-TO-DO-IT thread and that people will post some useful info how to build your own language from the M$ SDK wm6

This thread will be updated when there is new info. (but we all need to help!)

First we need the wm6 files of your language

-
How to dump the wm6 files

1- Dowload the images that you want here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...26f-a913-4f370a65a582&DisplayLang=en#filelist

Available languages are:

0404 CHT Chinese Traditional
0804 CHS Chinese Simplified
0405 CSY Czech
0406 DAN Danish
0413 NLD Dutch
0409 USA English
0407 GER German
0408 ELL Greek
040b FIN Finnish
040c FRA French
040e HUN Hungarian
0410 ITA Italian
0411 JPN Japanese
0412 KOR Korean
0414 NOR Norwegian
0415 PLK Polish
0416 PTB Portuguese Brazil
0816 PTG Portuguese Portugal
0418 ROM Romanian
0419 RUS Russian
041b SKY Slovak
0c0a ESN Spanish
041d SVE Swedish
041f TRK Turkish

2- Install them in your computer.

3- Take the image that you want from the installation folder.
For example, if you have downloaded the images for NLD language look in the folder "C:\Program Files\Windows Mobile 6 SDK\PocketPC\Deviceemulation\0413":
The image for Hermes is: PPC_NLD_GSM_VR.BIN (I'm not 100% sure)

- Download Tadzio's imgfs excelent tools in:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=298327

- Unzip the tools along with the image in any folder.

- Rename the image to A.BIN (to make the next commands easier to type).

- Open a D.O.S. command window and perform these commands:

> NBSPLIT -emu A.BIN
(it generates two files: A.BIN.EXTRA and A.BIN.PAYLOAD)

> IMGFSFROMNB A.BIN.PAYLOAD IMGFS.BIN
(it generates the file IMGFS.BIN)

> IMGFSTODUMP IMGFS.BIN

And that's all. Files are dumped in /Dump directory

-

What we need! (and how do we get it?!)

So all we got right now are the wm6 files, we dont have any hardware drivers and OEM apps specific to the hermes.

We need;

"XIP"
"the kernel'
&
"module addresses in the ROM"

Hope this will work out, its in best interests for all of us!

@ mods - can we make this sticky? Thq you

Thx to VivaErBetis

Last edited:

bunny0007

Jun 14, 2006
Randers
Google Pixel 6 Pro
You dont need to make a complete rom.

Use an exsisting rom with all drivers and etc.

You will need to replace the mui files from the emulator image..
You will also need to edit the .rgu files.
And you will need to edit the intiflash.dat file.

There MUST be a empty line at the end of the .rgu files and iniflashfiles also.

Im not sure if you need more..
My freeze at the windows logo screen when i have flashed the phone and boot it up.

gyrene2083

Apr 20, 2007
Bronx, NY
Well since this is intended to be a learning thread, I have a question. Upon dumping the files, lets say one wants to delete PowerPoint;

I know the executable, and the lnk file are in the windows directory. Now once one removes these two files, are their any other files in other locations that need to be deleted? Also, what about the registry entries? Do those get deleted as well? I would think you would if you wanted to keep the reg clean, and compact. But I could be wrong, and that is why I pose the question.

I am sure I am not the only one curious about this, but I am sure that because of all the flaming around here, that alot of folks don't dare, tread in these types of waters.

K

knives79

Translate..

Sorry for my poor english
I'm trying to translate in Italian language...
I've used this method:
1) I've extracted the Emu Ita Rom;
2) I've extracted a WWE Rom (LVSW_RUU_Hermes_WWE_3.30.2.1);
3) I've changed all the names of *0410.mui (Italian) in *0409.mui and overwritten the LVSW original files;
4) I've rebuild the LVSW Rom and I've uploaded to my hermes.

So, now i can see the 3 boot images, then only the up bar with "start" and the clock...
If I call the PPC I can see "Incoming Voice Call" with the text in Italian, then the image still on the screen and I can't do anything...
I think I'm not so far from the traduction.. I need only know if I've to change other..

myti

May 10, 2007
Gigabyte i300

I have just updated my Gigabyte i300 with the WM6 Rom provided by Gigabyte. Too bad Dutch language is not included in the Rom. Is there a way I can add Dutch language?

shunsai

Apr 4, 2007
大阪府
hey, this is quite an interesting thread. i'm still quite new to the hermes, and still playing it safe (haven't done any flashing yet... only reading and waiting). i have the X01ht with it's original ROM (and currently unlockable radio BL). i lurk these forums frequently, and still have a hard time figuring out what requires unlocking and what doesn't.

anyway, relating to the content of this thread, i'm looking to get an english mui installed on my japanese OS. the only other options seem to be 1) Asukal's MUI (which at this point seems like the best solution... i'm just still not completely sure) or 2) installing a new ROM altogether. i don't quite want to switch to an english OS, because i like the japanese/kanji predictive input. also still a bit worried about warranty voiding by flashing a different ROM file. only thing i want more englishized than it already is are the menus. the keyboards are fine.

anyone else looking a similar english solution to a japanese OS? hmmm... am i correct in assuming that too would require ROM flashing? i think i would risk an english softbank ROM...

Last edited:

Registerme

May 20, 2007
Are the tools or the commands for extracting / dumping and so on always device specific or are there any general tools that have to be updated to work with certain ROMs?

ZakMcRofl

Feb 10, 2007
When you use Bepe's packaging tool on the files you'll get them sorted into packages, specifically all language specific files of a package will be in a seperate folder.

Is it possible to easily repackage those or does one how to copy the files from that folder to the new ROM manually?

Maybe it's a feature for the next Rom kitchen...

fadyturk

Mar 11, 2007
downgrade from wm6 to wm5

Hi Guys,

could anyone help me on how to downgrade my Jasjam from WM6 to WM5?
Thanks in Advance!

K

knives79

New Project!

Schap has started a project to make a rom for all the localized languages!
We can ask him if can make a cooperative work.. much brains= less time!

Bye

dchanym

Jan 12, 2005
Unable to re-create the emulator rom, any suggestion

Could big brother teach me how to re-create the emulator rom from
the dump files. I want to test customed rom before flashing to my Hermes.

I do the following steps re-create the emulator rom. But fail with following message:<

Name of rom is wm6vga.bin

Steps:
1) NBSplit -emu WM6VGA.bin
==> got both WM6VGA.bin.extra and WM6VGA.bin.payload
2) ImgfsFromNb WM6VGA.bin.payload imgfs.bin
==> got a imgfs.bin
3) imgfstodump imgfs.bin
==> got all rom files of emulator rom in "dump" directory
4) ImgfsFromDump imgfs.bin imgfs-out.bin
==> new imgfs-out.bin created
5) ImgfsToNb imgfs-out.bin WM6VGA.bin.payload WM6VGA-out.bin.payload
==> get ERROR here, see below:
========================================================
ImgfsToNb 2.0 RC 2
No IMGFS partition found in partition table in WM6VGA.bin.payload. Exiting.

any reply is welcome.
thanks in advance

Tokyorob

Apr 15, 2006
hey, this is quite an interesting thread. i'm still quite new to the hermes, and still playing it safe (haven't done any flashing yet... only reading and waiting). i have the X01ht with it's original ROM (and currently unlockable radio BL). i lurk these forums frequently, and still have a hard time figuring out what requires unlocking and what doesn't.

anyway, relating to the content of this thread, i'm looking to get an english mui installed on my japanese OS. the only other options seem to be 1) Asukal's MUI (which at this point seems like the best solution... i'm just still not completely sure) or 2) installing a new ROM altogether. i don't quite want to switch to an english OS, because i like the japanese/kanji predictive input. also still a bit worried about warranty voiding by flashing a different ROM file. only thing i want more englishized than it already is are the menus. the keyboards are fine.

anyone else looking a similar english solution to a japanese OS? hmmm... am i correct in assuming that too would require ROM flashing? i think i would risk an english softbank ROM...

If you don't wish to flash then Asukal's mui is indeed your best option. if you want to flash then you will have to recover the softbank AP info

Asukal Mui is easy to install and doesn't mess with your rom .. don't like it ? .. a hard reset will restore your default

A very cool solution .. i have asked him -very nicely if he would be a Eng MUI for my Sharp EM One

Rob

Tokyorob

Apr 15, 2006

If you don't wish to flash then Asukal's mui is indeed your best option. if you want to flash then you will have to recover the softbank AP info

Asukal Mui is easy to install and doesn't mess with your rom .. don't like it ? .. a hard reset will restore your default

A very cool solution .. i have asked him -very nicely if he would be a Eng MUI for my Sharp EM One

Rob

dchanym

Jan 12, 2005
You dont need to make a complete rom.

Use an exsisting rom with all drivers and etc.

You will need to replace the mui files from the emulator image..
You will also need to edit the .rgu files.
And you will need to edit the intiflash.dat file.

There MUST be a empty line at the end of the .rgu files and iniflashfiles also.

Im not sure if you need more..
My freeze at the windows logo screen when i have flashed the phone and boot it up.

hello bunny007,

Sorry to ask a silly question.

Could you mind to give me more detail about the how to "use" the mui files from emulator image? For example, HOW-TO edit the .rgu and initflash.dat files.

Many thanks.

kiokoman

Jan 10, 2007
i managed to translate all the .mui in italian using xn resource editor and succesfully boot in full my device, all was working without problem but when the system start up the languages was in english and not translated. i think there is something to do with the files like S000, S0001 but if i replace this file the os doesn't boot, the only way seems to translate the original english file with an hex editor but imho too much time is necessary to do this and when we finish the translated version from microsoft should be already out. nobody know a fast way ?

xx1182

May 3, 2007
Could big brother teach me how to re-create the emulator rom from
the dump files. I want to test customed rom before flashing to my Hermes.

I do the following steps re-create the emulator rom. But fail with following message:<

Name of rom is wm6vga.bin

Steps:
1) NBSplit -emu WM6VGA.bin
==> got both WM6VGA.bin.extra and WM6VGA.bin.payload
2) ImgfsFromNb WM6VGA.bin.payload imgfs.bin
==> got a imgfs.bin
3) imgfstodump imgfs.bin
==> got all rom files of emulator rom in "dump" directory
4) ImgfsFromDump imgfs.bin imgfs-out.bin
==> new imgfs-out.bin created
5) ImgfsToNb imgfs-out.bin WM6VGA.bin.payload WM6VGA-out.bin.payload
==> get ERROR here, see below:
ImgfsToNb 2.0 RC 2
No IMGFS partition found in partition table in WM6VGA.bin.payload. Exiting.

any reply is welcome.
thanks in advance

I do the same and give me this error
ImgfsToNb 2.0 RC 2
No IMGFS partition found in partition table in A.bin.payload. Exiting.

K

knives79

My (no so bad) experience

I've tried to make the Italian Rom (but failed)
This is my procedure:
1)Decompress the ITA emu rom and a WWE Rom (like Faria rom)
2)Copied all ITA *0410.mui files, renamed in *0409.mui and replaced the original in the WWE rom
3)Edited the initflashes.dat WWE file, replacing all the links
4)rebuild the new ITA Rom.

When I've mounted on my hermes, I can see the boot is ok. But he won't to start the startup wizard (display calibration etc..) and I can see only the top and bottom bars; the center seem to be stuck but the telephone work (if I press the green key) and it's in ITA!

So.. what other I've to change?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english

Knives
immagine1.jpg

Last edited:

chrisbensch

Mar 28, 2006
I also am getting the error:
ImgfsToNb 2.0 RC 2
No IMGFS partition found in partition table in a.bin.payload. Exiting.

I wish to take an existing cooked rom (LSVW), add my own stuff, take stuff out, then repackage to add to my hermes. To be honest, I don't even know where to begin. I have an NBH file, I've used dutty's tool to get a "windows.nb" and I've also tried the emu images. So far I've seen no step by step guide so I've tried to piece it together from the forums. How do these other guys do it?

kiokoman

Jan 10, 2007
knives79 is the same error/problem i have, as i said before if you overwrite the original S000 S001 etc file with the one in italian the sistem doesn't boot and stuck and checking with mtty have a lot of bad block on nand even if tadzio's tools say it's ok to flash but if you take only the file that end .mui (file, not folder) the system start up, i have the calibration screen in italian but nothing more, the rest is all in english
:confused:

Last edited: