[HOWTO] (Manually) Rooting the Kindle Fire 2 with a Mac

Search This thread

jburtn

Dec 25, 2012
Firstly, Merry Christmas!

Note: This worked on version 10.2.4

I received a Kindle Fire 2 today and since then I've been trying to get it rooted, now that I have I though I'd share it here for other people who might be in the same situation.

This is really just a remixing of the tool made by Bin4ry (http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1886460) but I couldn't get the script to run on my Mac...

Step 0 - Preparing

You must enable ADB and Unknown App sources from Settings.

Settings > More > Security > Enable ADB
Settings > More > Device > Allow Installation of Applications

Step 1 is to get that tool from here. and extract it somewhere you'll remember.

Step 2 (you can skip this if you already have the android SDK platform-tools in your PATH)

If you don't have the android SDK or adb installed just add the 'stuff' folder from the tool to your path.

In terminal run
Code:
export PATH=$PATH:/path/to/extracted/tool/stuff/

Step 3 - Push the required files

It's probably easiest if you change into the stuff folder first...

Code:
cd /Users/x/Downloads/Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v18.7z\ Folder/stuff

Then run the following...

Code:
adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/.
adb push su /data/local/tmp/.
adb push Superuser.apk /data/local/tmp/.
adb push ric /data/local/tmp/ric

Then you need to run an adb shell to set some permissions

Code:
adb shell
(you should get a prompt like shell@android:/)

Run

Code:
chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/busybox
exit

Step 4 - Rooting

This requires another terminal window. Check that you can run adb from there as well (running adb should print the usage information)

In the first window run:

Code:
adb shell "while ! ln -s /data/local.prop /data/data/com.android.settings/a/file99; do :; done" > /dev/null

In the other run

Code:
adb restore fakebackup.ab

You should get a prompt on your Kindle, hit the restore my data button. As you do so the command in the first window should stop (or a few seconds later - if it doesn't stop it and re-run both commands again.)

You can now close the second window!

Run
Code:
adb reboot
, your Kindle should reboot though the screen will be blinking repeatedly (flashing between the lockscreen and the boot animation) don't worry about that as it will be fixed in a sec.

Step 5 - Cleaning Up

Run
Code:
adb shell

If all was successful you should see the prompt change to root@android:/

If it did, continue otherwise go back to step 4.

Run these

Code:
/data/local/tmp/busybox mount -o remount,rw /system
/data/local/tmp/busybox mv /data/local/tmp/su /system/xbin/su
/data/local/tmp/busybox mv /data/local/tmp/ric /system/bin/ric
chmod 755 /system/bin/ric
/data/local/tmp/busybox mv /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk 
/data/local/tmp/busybox cp /data/local/tmp/busybox /system/xbin/busybox 
chown 0.0 /system/xbin/su && chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su 
chmod 655 /system/app/Superuser.apk 
chmod 755 /system/xbin/busybox 
rm /data/local.prop
reboot

Your Kindle will restart and SuperSU will be available under Apps, your now free to do as you please, though you could follow with Step 3 on this thread to get Google Apps etc working.

Update: a short guide to installing the Play store can be found here.

Last edited:

zoey

Jul 24, 2010
Salt Lake City
This worked almost perfect for me but I couldn't get it to run adb commands from the stuff folder so I dumped its contents (minus the adb stuff) into the platform-tools in the android SDK and from then on everything went great. Thanks so much.

Reactions: scrotuman

sipina

Dec 31, 2012
worked!

Great work, congratulations and thanks! I'd like to make some comments tho regarding some typos and suggestions.
1.- I'd suggest to install the android SDK as, in fact, adb commands didn't work from the stuff folder. Add a line to .bash_profile with the export PATH command to make permanent access to the adb shell.
2.- Push files from the Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v18 folder, not the .7z file.
3.- The command is, e.g., adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/ instead of adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/.
4.- In Step 5 the command /data/local/tmp/busybox mv /data/local/tmp/su /system/xbin/su is twice so you'll get an error the second time you execute it.
Also congratulations for instructions on how to install PlayStore - here pay attention to the names playstore.apk and servicesframework.apk which in fact are plstore3.10.10.apk and GoogleServicesFramework.apk respectively -
Once again thanks for your work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Firstly, Merry Christmas!

Note: This worked on version 10.2.4

I received a Kindle Fire 2 today and since then I've been trying to get it rooted, now that I have I though I'd share it here for other people who might be in the same situation.

This is really just a remixing of the tool made by Bin4ry (http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1886460) but I couldn't get the script to run on my Mac...

Step 0 - Preparing

You must enable ADB and Unknown App sources from Settings.

Settings > More > Security > Enable ADB
    Settings > More > Device > Allow Installation of Applications

Step 1 is to get that tool from here. and extract it somewhere you'll remember.

Step 2 (you can skip this if you already have the android SDK platform-tools in your PATH)

If you don't have the android SDK or adb installed just add the 'stuff' folder from the tool to your path.

In terminal run
    Code:
    export PATH=$PATH:/path/to/extracted/tool/stuff/

Step 3 - Push the required files

It's probably easiest if you change into the stuff folder first...

Code:
    cd /Users/x/Downloads/Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v18.7z\ Folder/stuff

Then run the following...

Code:
    adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/.
    adb push su /data/local/tmp/.
    adb push Superuser.apk /data/local/tmp/.
    adb push ric /data/local/tmp/ric

Then you need to run an adb shell to set some permissions

Code:
    adb shell
    (you should get a prompt like shell@android:/)

Run

Code:
    chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/busybox
    exit

Step 4 - Rooting

This requires another terminal window. Check that you can run adb from there as well (running adb should print the usage information)

In the first window run:

Code:
    adb shell "while ! ln -s /data/local.prop /data/data/com.android.settings/a/file99; do :; done" > /dev/null

In the other run

Code:
    adb restore fakebackup.ab

You should get a prompt on your Kindle, hit the restore my data button. As you do so the command in the first window should stop (or a few seconds later - if it doesn't stop it and re-run both commands again.)

You can now close the second window!

Run
    Code:
    adb reboot
    , your Kindle should reboot though the screen will be blinking repeatedly (flashing between the lockscreen and the boot animation) don't worry about that as it will be fixed in a sec.

Step 5 - Cleaning Up

Run
    Code:
    adb shell

If all was successful you should see the prompt change to root@android:/

If it did, continue otherwise go back to step 4.

Run these

Code:
    /data/local/tmp/busybox mount -o remount,rw /system
    /data/local/tmp/busybox mv /data/local/tmp/ric /system/bin/ric
    chmod 755 /system/bin/ric
    /data/local/tmp/busybox mv /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk 
    /data/local/tmp/busybox cp /data/local/tmp/busybox /system/xbin/busybox 
    chown 0.0 /system/xbin/su && chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su 
    chmod 655 /system/app/Superuser.apk 
    chmod 755 /system/xbin/busybox 
    rm /data/local.prop
    reboot

Your Kindle will restart and SuperSU will be available under Apps, your now free to do as you please, though you could follow with Step 3 on this thread to get Google Apps etc working.

Update: a short guide to installing the Play store can be found here.
    This worked almost perfect for me but I couldn't get it to run adb commands from the stuff folder so I dumped its contents (minus the adb stuff) into the platform-tools in the android SDK and from then on everything went great. Thanks so much.