• Custom ROM

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

uchihakurtz

Jan 5, 2013
Depok
Samsung Galaxy S21
So, a few days ago Apple announced iOS 8 and previewed some of it features. This made me look back into Android, specifically Stock Android. And with Google I/O just around the corner, here are some things that I wish Google will improve on.

The Dark, Old, and Gloomy Holo UI

When it first came out, Holo UI was the thing. Everyone who was still on Gingerbread wanted it, they installed launchers and even modded framework and stuff. Skip forward 3 years, Holo UI is still here with a little change on the icon colours. Some may love it, but it's definitely getting boring. There are rumours that the next version will be 5.0 instead of 4.5. I hope that with the 1.0 jump, there will be a major UI overhaul.

The Not So Helpful Quick Tiles

Quick Tiles, when you look at it it really seems to help make things quicker. "Oh look, the WiFi icon. If I press this, it's gonna toggle the WiFi, right?" NOPE, clicking it will bring you to the Settings section while long pressing it will toggle it instead. I don't know how long it's been like this but I've only tasted stock since 4.2.2 and it's still like this on KitKat so... Someone in the UX Department needs to be scolded.

Not only it's rather misguiding, the toggles itself doesn't offer that much. There are no tiles for NFC, Sync, Auto Rotation and there's no way to add them either. Custom ROMs and manufacturers' skins however offer all these for years and even after a few 0.1 updates, Google doesn't seem to touch this. Which makes me wonder if most people prefer it Google's way. I definitely don't.

KitKat Transparency Not Being Used

When KitKat was announced, the transparent status bar and navigation bar really wowed me. I was hoping the colours would match accordingly to which app is opened. But apparently, apps need to be updated and coded to take advantage of this. Which is fine, there are a few apps that does this but what baffles me is Google isn't one of them. Other than Google Now Launcher, everything pretty much stayed the same. How can others be motivated to do this when even Google isn't doing it.

It Lacks Appeal to the Public Eyes

Have you seen what other skinned Android can do without installing other apps? Multi-Window, Dual Capture Camera, Slow Motion Video Capture, Floating Apps, Power Saving Mode, Video Calling, and many more. What can Stock Android do? Well, normal stuff every Android smartphone can do except those above I guess. Stock Android are designed for developers and tech enthusiasts so it should be normal to stay as de-bloated as possible but don't you want some of those goodies that other skins offer?

Your Thoughts?

Yes, there are apps that can do the stuff above and Xposed Framework can help, but we're talking about pure stock Android without roots and many other stuff. Which makes me wonder, being a Nexus user, how many of you guys stay pure stock?

With competition heating up such as iOS's possible split Window Mode and Windows 8.1's Cortana, not to mention other emerging OS such as Tizen, Ubuntu Touch, Sailfish and Firefox OS; Android need to step up it's game on the next version. What do you think will make Stock Android better?

Rohit02

Sep 17, 2012
Pune
So, a few days ago Apple announced iOS 8 and previewed some of it features. This made me look back into Android, specifically Stock Android. And with Google I/O just around the corner, here are some things that I wish Google will improve on.

When it first came out, Holo UI was the thing. Everyone who was still on Gingerbread wanted it, they installed launchers and even modded framework and stuff. Skip forward 3 years, Holo UI is still here with a little change on the icon colours. Some may love it, but it's definitely getting boring. There are rumours that the next version will be 5.0 instead of 4.5. I hope that with the 1.0 jump, there will be a major UI overhaul.

Quick Tiles, when you look at it it really seems to help make things quicker. "Oh look, the WiFi icon. If I press this, it's gonna toggle the WiFi, right?" NOPE, clicking it will bring you to the Settings section while long pressing it will toggle it instead. I don't know how long it's been like this but I've only tasted stock since 4.2.2 and it's still like this on KitKat so... Someone in the UX Department needs to be scolded.

Not only it's rather misguiding, the toggles itself doesn't offer that much. There are no tiles for NFC, Sync, Auto Rotation and there's no way to add them either. Custom ROMs and manufacturers' skins however offer all these for years and even after a few 0.1 updates, Google doesn't seem to touch this. Which makes me wonder if most people prefer it Google's way. I definitely don't.

When KitKat was announced, the transparent status bar and navigation bar really wowed me. I was hoping the colours would match accordingly to which app is opened. But apparently, apps need to be updated and coded to take advantage of this. Which is fine, there are a few apps that does this but what baffles me is Google isn't one of them. Other than Google Now Launcher, everything pretty much stayed the same. How can others be motivated to do this when even Google isn't doing it.

Have you seen what other skinned Android can do without installing other apps? Multi-Window, Dual Capture Camera, Slow Motion Video Capture, Floating Apps, Power Saving Mode, Video Calling, and many more. What can Stock Android do? Well, normal stuff every Android smartphone can do except those above I guess. Stock Android are designed for developers and tech enthusiasts so it should be normal to stay as de-bloated as possible but don't you want some of those goodies that other skins offer?

Your Thoughts?

Yes, there are apps that can do the stuff above and Xposed Framework can help, but we're talking about pure stock Android without roots and many other stuff. Which makes me wonder, being a Nexus user, how many of you guys stay pure stock?

With competition heating up such as iOS's possible split Window Mode and Windows 8.1's Cortana, not to mention other emerging OS such as Tizen, Ubuntu Touch, Sailfish and Firefox OS; Android need to step up it's game on the next version. What do you think will make Stock Android better?

Custom ROMS are way ahead of this.. Stock, naaaa.. Custom roms you get features satablility and sort of completeness. It defeats stock by a long margin.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Your Thoughts?