Strange HTC One questions

Search This thread

dhinged

May 5, 2011
I'm unable to find an HTC One with a microSD card slot... I'm on Verizon, and they only have the 32GB internal memory version, which isn't enough to fit my music and everything else. I did read on Wikipedia that they're in the Japan/China models, so if you know one way or another whether any US versions have it, I'd love to know.

Otherwise if I can get an unlocked/developer/Play edition to work with a Verizon SIM, I'd love to know how to do that too!

Also, I'm trying to find out if I can lower the resolution to 720p (pixels) to save battery (which brought me here to begin with). I haven't read in any reviews that it's possible, but back in the day I read of a setting in developer options to change the DPI (or PPI?) to change the resolution, but I'm not seeing that in my current phone's developer options (or not recognizing it).

Last edited:

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012
I'm unable to find an HTC One with a microSD card slot... I'm on Verizon, and they only have the 32GB internal memory version, which isn't enough to fit my music and everything else. I did read on Wikipedia that they're in the Japan/China models, so if you know one way or another whether any US versions have it, I'd love to know.

Otherwise if I can get an unlocked/developer/Play edition to work with a Verizon SIM, I'd love to know how to do that too!

Also, I'm trying to find out if I can lower the resolution to 720p (pixels) to save battery (which brought me here to begin with). I haven't read in any reviews that it's possible, but back in the day I read of a setting in developer options to change the DPI (or PPI?) to change the resolution, but I'm not seeing that in my current phone's developer options (or not recognizing it).

there is no htc one version that have a sd card slot. Only the Japanese and Chinese variant (HTL22/HTC J One)

If you are going to use the phone with Verizon, then you can not use another phone variants, you must use the phone sold by verizon. Verizon is a CDMA carrier and uses CDMA variant of the Htc one. All other variant are GSM (unlocked htc one, dev edition etc)

Lowering the screen resolution doesnt make sense to me, there a lot of other ways you can save battery.

Last edited:

yatindroid

Sep 23, 2009
Jaipur
China / India dual SIM + card slot models have cdma but you need to verify network bandwidth
Other options HTC One m8 with card slot or a new version of m7 exclusive for Verizon HTC One Remix with card slot

Last edited:

dhinged

May 5, 2011
there is no htc one version that have a sd card slot. Only the Japanese and Chinese variant (HTL22/HTC J One)

That sounds contradictory but I already mentioned that I saw there's a Japan/China version with a microSD card slot.

If you are going to use the phone with Verizon, then you can not use another phone variants, you must use the phone sold by verizon. Verizon is a CDMA carrier and uses CDMA variant of the Htc one. All other variant are GSM (unlocked htc one, dev edition etc)

OK, that's helpful, but I've seen specs that include "3G" with frequencies that match Verizon's CDMA and that also say "LTE" that match Verizon's frequencies, so I'm concerned that either the specs aren't completely accurate for the USA or that Verizon just hasn't certified any other version than the one on their site (though I can't tell if they sold the 64GB variant previously that I could find somewhere else).

Lowering the screen resolution doesnt make sense to me, there a lot of other ways you can save battery.

Lowering the screen resolution is an acceptable loss for the battery/CPU gain (considering I can barely tell the difference in my Moto X and Droid RAZR MAXX under normal usage and most phone screens look fine to me; I grew up with Asteroids and Super Mario Bros so I kind of have a love for pixels). Most other battery-saver tips include things I actually want to use.

Last edited:

alray

May 22, 2012
That sounds contradictory but I already mentioned that I saw there's a Japan/China version with a microSD card slot.

OK, that's helpful, but I've seen specs that include "3G" with frequencies that match Verizon's CDMA and that also say "LTE" that match Verizon's frequencies, so I'm concerned that either the specs aren't completely accurate for the USA or that Verizon just hasn't certified any other version than the one on their site (though I can't tell if they sold the 64GB variant previously that I could find somewhere else).

Lowering the screen resolution is an acceptable loss for the battery/CPU gain (considering I can barely tell the difference in my Moto X and Droid RAZR MAXX under normal usage and most phone screens look fine to me; I grew up with Asteroids and Super Mario Bros so I kind of have a love for pixels). Most other battery-saver tips include things I actually want to use.

Why not buying another phone with already a sd card slot and a 720p screen? Better to pay for something that fit your needs. You will pay for that 1080 display but you'll not use it. Maybe you should consider another model like the desire 601 or something similar...?

dhinged

May 5, 2011
Why not buying another phone with already a sd card slot and a 720p screen? Better to pay for something that fit your needs. You will pay for that 1080 display but you'll not use it. Maybe you should consider another model like the desire 601 or something similar...?

Yah, I've been looking at other phones, and every one of them are missing some key thing I need; for instance, the HTC One looks perfect except that the 64GB version is not available on Verizon and it has no microSD card slot. The M8 is huge for my hands and has the headphone jack on the bottom which makes it difficult or impossible with docks; the Remix has less of a processor and battery than the Moto X; Verizon has less choice than the other carriers so this whole process is just difficult, which is why I'm asking how to config certain software things to get what I want.

alray

May 22, 2012
Yah, I've been looking at other phones, and every one of them are missing some key thing I need; for instance, the HTC One looks perfect except that the 64GB version is not available on Verizon and it has no microSD card slot. The M8 is huge for my hands and has the headphone jack on the bottom which makes it difficult or impossible with docks; the Remix has less of a processor and battery than the Moto X; Verizon has less choice than the other carriers so this whole process is just difficult, which is why I'm asking how to config certain software things to get what I want.

If verizon doesnt have a phone that fits your needs then check other carriers.

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida

The Droid MaXX has most all the features you want and is on Android 4.4.4 already. Unfortunately this is no Root for it yet though

Last edited:

dhinged

May 5, 2011

We're going in circles on this. I've already described what I'm looking for and I haven't found it yet.

dhinged

May 5, 2011
If verizon doesnt have a phone that fits your needs then check other carriers.

Yah, I know, like that hasn't occurred to me. Not exactly the easiest option, which is why I'm asking for software workarounds.

This is XDA after all, isn't it? I haven't seen one reply yet saying how to lower the resolution on any phone.

dhinged

May 5, 2011
The Droid MaXX has most all the features you want and is on Android 4.4.4 already. Unfortunately this is no Root for it yet though

Yes, I know, and Verizon only sells the 16GB version, and I already tried buying two 32GB versions online and they were stolen phones that couldn't be activated. Luckily I got my money back, but I'm not doing that again. Plus the Droid Maxx does not have convenient accessories.

It looks like the Moto X is going to by the keeper until I can figure out how to lower the resolution on the M8 to save battery, which I'm guessing requires root.

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida
Yes, I know, and Verizon only sells the 16GB version, and I already tried buying two 32GB versions online and they were stolen phones that couldn't be activated. Luckily I got my money back, but I'm not doing that again. Plus the Droid Maxx does not have convenient accessories.

It looks like the Moto X is going to by the keeper until I can figure out how to lower the resolution on the M8 to save battery, which I'm guessing requires root.

I can tell you first hand the MotoX is nothing compared to a HTC One M7 their not in the same league. The only 2 phones I would consider over an M7 are the LG G2/G3 and a Nexus 5... Maybe a Note 3 if it's a really sweat deal