Galaxy SIII came out! Are you impressed or disappointed?

Will you move to GSIII or stay with your Gnex?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

ckoadiyn

Jan 23, 2010
Well I don't use non-Nexus devices so I wouldn't know. If any previous customer in the past can confirm or deny if a company will deny repairing their phone due to warranty or charge additional then we will really know.

But... Samsung doesn't really lock their bootloaders so it's relatively easy to get it back to stock. But my point still stands for development progress when compared to new development to a existing one that has been going on for 4+ months. Especially when more and more people and getting the phone especially when it's being sold for $399 on Google Play Store as well as updates coming from Google (people may argue about yakju/yakjuxw/etc.... the solution to fix it is there, do it. otherwise they cant really complain)

O I deff agree for dev status

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

NIK516

Mar 4, 2010
After going from an iPhone 4 to a gs2 to the galaxy nexus I do have to say I miss the power of the galaxy s series . I will go to the s3 . One thing I am disappointed about was the amount of bugs I've had and I've seen posted , the galaxy nexus is great in terms of design and screen but everything else us so so.

I will be updating my contract in may, so I might get the one x or the s3 .

And in terms of updates I found the s2 updates came out just as quick honestly

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Reactions: beeboss

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
Hey troll.
E.g A Nokia Lumnia running Wkndows 8 has lack of support for Android OS. Does that mean the Lumnia has a compatibilty issue? No it just isnt designed for it. Bloody hell...thought fanboys would be less on this forum...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

Says the guy who is making his first post in the Galaxy Nexus forum...

Who exactly is the troll? :confused:

triStateMindgate

Aug 29, 2010
NYC
Hey troll.
E.g A Nokia Lumnia running Wkndows 8 has lack of support for Android OS. Does that mean the Lumnia has a compatibilty issue? No it just isnt designed for it. Bloody hell...thought fanboys would be less on this forum...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

buddy_jesusha.jpg

notanoob

Mar 8, 2012
1--hate tw and every proprietary UI out there
2--want\need fastest update from google\don't want to downgrade in this thing
3--have no need to change phone to have last soc.quad core for me is a feature that don't fits my needs.with a normal dual-core i'm totally satisfied,the gpu is old on nexus but i can play smmoth every games without problems,there isn't out there anything that i can't do optimally due to the "only" 2 cores...many phones updates at ics etc continuing using a single-core cpu,all without any tipe of problems.quad-core for me is only a commercial find for selling.ram on gnex is ok as well for a lot of future months.display idem,with an already 720p pentile display i haven't the need to change phone (like many users out there because has a older phone with old resolutions.
4--love the development behind gnex,don't need more.we have already the best devs coding for this phone.
5--my first google experience phone....and not the last!probably after changing this,i want to see the spec of the next nexus with jellybeans.
i think that from now on,don't choose a non nexus phone because i like this fact over others aspects (like more performant cpu e gpu)
an year ago i certainly go to the strongest and most performant phone...now instead i prefer the nexus features over all the rest because after buying this phone i that power is not the best...optimizations,updates and a big community development like here at xda makes sense for me forthinkin' of change gnex.
regards folks
:cool:

This..
Coming from a guy with past phones like DHD,SGS and SGS 2 i would say i'll take nexus any time.

Pure google against TW ANY TIME FTW !

Last edited:

prinzhernan

Sep 3, 2010
I'm really fine with the gnex for some reason. Usually I have the itch to upgrade but since I've experienced vanilla android there's no turning back for me. The only thing that would tempt me is the next nexus.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

thas5

Dec 23, 2011
Toronto
Some of you people must have money growing on trees.

Anyway, I'm fine with my Nexus since it gets the job done & the power in the GSIII seems kind of irrelevant at this point. When my contract is over, there will be an even better phone. I can wait.

Reactions: Spin_spinning

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Go to a tmobile store n try the one s or wait till ATT gets one x sense 4 is light and beautiful just tried it out and gf had a sgsii before she changed it for a gn Sammy has to step up the UI game

I checked the one x forum and there is lots of complain about sense. Lag and sense restarting. Touchwiz is far more stable.

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

Okay. Since you're a recognized developer on XDA, I'm going to have to take your word for it, right?

I have complete faith that within the first week of launch, whether it be the work of a developer on XDA or not, the SGS3 will have root. Guess I'm a fool!

I totally agree with you. The Galaxy S 2 development is one of the biggest ever for any android phone and there is no question that the Galaxy S3 will get great dev support. Anyone arguing this is either a hater or an idiot.

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

I'd rather be dead than have to run Touchwiz again for even an hour.

Jesus man this is getting outta control LMFAO hahahahha

Smokeey

Oct 8, 2010
College Station, TX
Lack of support = compatibility issue then no?

Lack of support = Samsung not giving 2 ****s about other countries and their new LTE standard.

The Exynos chip can support LTE 700mhz (Block C VZW) given Samsung creates a chip for it. It's not that they just cant, they just aren't.

EDIT: Also, this thread SUCKS and doesn't belong in Galaxy Nexus General. I believe the Galaxy S III has its own section now.

zephiK

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 23, 2009
New York, NY
I totally agree with you. The Galaxy S 2 development is one of the biggest ever for any android phone and there is no question that the Galaxy S3 will get great dev support. Anyone arguing this is either a hater or an idiot.

You must be talking about the INTERNATIONAL Galaxy S2. There are many variants of Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint).

http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1329
T-Mobile Galaxy S2:
Threads: 129

Galaxy Nexus:
Threads: 137

Also you are missing out on the fact that. Even though there are ROMs for phones who haven't received the latest Android OS update, development is still very much crippled due to the fact that there isn't a updated kernel for the ROM. Whereas, Galaxy Nexus (and other Nexus devices) will have a updated kernel (in this case... it'd be 3.0.X kernels)

Reactions: Smokeey

adrynalyne

Dec 13, 2008
I checked the one x forum and there is lots of complain about sense. Lag and sense restarting. Touchwiz is far more stable.

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

Anyone arguing that a device will have a huge following before it is even announced, much less released, is the real idiot.

Smokeey

Oct 8, 2010
College Station, TX
You must be talking about the INTERNATIONAL Galaxy S2. There are many variants of Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint).

T-Mobile Galaxy S2:

Galaxy Nexus:

Also you are missing out on the fact that. Even though there are ROMs for phones who haven't received the latest Android OS update, development is still very much crippled due to the fact that there isn't a updated kernel for the ROM. Whereas, Galaxy Nexus (and other Nexus devices) will have a updated kernel (in this case... it'd be 3.0.X kernels)

Not to mention the fact that the GSII/III will cease to have development at some point and the Nexus phones will live on.

zephiK

Aug 23, 2009
New York, NY
Not to mention the fact that the GSII/III will cease to have development at some point and the Nexus phones will live on.

This is EXACTLY what happened when I went from G1 -> Vibrant. G1 lasted for more than 2 years in terms of development. Development was dying, and all the ROMs were the same. All of them were based off TouchWiz and a lot of them were just themed TouchWiz. A lot of ROMs were based on TouchWiz and mimic'd its images and effects as AOSP but it wasn't AOSP.

And here's the information for AT&T Galaxy S2:
Threads: 118

Sprint Galaxy S2:
Treads: 243

International 9100 - Galaxy S2:
Threads: 304

.. Galaxy Nexus already has a higher count than many of it's variants. And even though we have three variants, we are very much connected and it is easy to port for toro and maguro.
Yes, International Galaxy S2 has a bigger count than Galaxy Nexus but look at how long it's been out compared to Galaxy Nexus. It is just the beginning, this forum will just only get bigger and bigger. Development for Nexus devices will always be striving.

Last edited:

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA

T-Mobile Galaxy S2:

Galaxy Nexus:

Yes I was talking about the international Galaxy S2. You're right about the updated kernel thing but still, the galaxy line attracts lots of dev attention so you will get support.

ckoadiyn

Jan 23, 2010

Some people are never happy I see people posting about lag in the gnex forum lol n I sit here thinking wtf

Reactions: prinzhernan

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
This is EXACTLY what happened when I went from G1 -> Vibrant. G1 lasted for more than 2 years in terms of development. Development was dying, and all the ROMs were the same. All of them were based off TouchWiz and a lot of them were just themed TouchWiz. A lot of ROMs were based on TouchWiz and mimic'd its images and effects as AOSP but it wasn't AOSP.

And here's the information for AT&T Galaxy S2:
Threads: 118

Sprint Galaxy S2:
Treads: 243

International 9100 - Galaxy S2:
Threads: 304

.. Galaxy Nexus already has a higher count than many of it's variants. And even though we have three variants, we are very much connected and it is easy to port for toro and maguro.
Yes, International Galaxy S2 has a bigger count than Galaxy Nexus but look at how long it's been out compared to Galaxy Nexus. It is just the beginning, this forum will just only get bigger and bigger. Development for Nexus devices will always be striving.

Yea but personally I don't keep a phone for two years so I wouldn't worry about that. I usually buy a phone a few months after it gets release, enjoy it then sell it and move on to the next one. I think a lot of people are doing the same. But no question that nexus devices are great for development.

zephiK

Aug 23, 2009
New York, NY
Yes I was talking about the international Galaxy S2. You're right about the updated kernel thing but still, the galaxy line attracts lots of dev attention so you will get support.

Well I know that U.S.A isn't the "world." But from an American standpoint, it'll be better for us to stick with Nexus devices because carriers screw us in the end.
@barondebxl: I try and stick with a phone for two years but with the massive development in phones' hardware. It's hard to stick with the same phone. But I think I'm going to be sticking with the Galaxy Nexus for awhile. It's specifications as it is is already amazing but I already know nexus 4 will be difficult. Especially if it's at a $400 price range once again vai Play Store.

My point on what I'm saying is that, "once a Nexus, always a Nexus." That's my quote and I'll stand by it :) I'll be a Nexus fanboy, it stands by what everybody in the XDA community want.

- Good dev support (ROM/Kernels)
- Latest updates via Google
- Latest hardware at the time[debatable.... since it's launch date is Q4 of the year]

Last edited:

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Some people are never happy I see people posting about lag in the gnex forum lol n I sit here thinking wtf

Yea I know but for the one x it really is an issue right now as sense is just too much of a resource hog. I saw this vid on YouTube and this dude one x was reloading every time he was exiting an app. And as far as lag, let's say the nexus lags( which I don't think but just for the sake of argument) ,its a dual core vs the one x with all those cores and that tegra 3 GPU so you don't expect any lag there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Its not a Nexus. Why would I want it?
    If it doesn't have soft keys then its a instant no. I probably won't get it anyways. If I get a new phone it will be the next nexus.
    What temptation?
    What if one will look like nexus , be 4 times more powerful than nexus and has even more development perspectives . Just look in GS II thread man , smooth AOSP roms , hundreds of themes , kernels, ports and other stuff . We don't have it here :p

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

So, will 4 times the performance help me dial numbers faster? Will it increase my wpm when texting? Will rainbows float out of my device?

Wait, it will have Touchwiz. OF COURSE rainbows will float out of it. That or Crayola crayons.
    Manufacturers still using physical buttons is a perfect example of what's wrong with android. Google tries to push the os forward but manufacturers hold it back by loading it with their own interface and still using buttons. Software devs don't help with their reluctance to update their appsbto the holo interface. The fragmentation problem in android has nothing to do with Google at this point. Every manufacturer should just release an aosp ICS rom for all of their capable devices.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2