HTC One - Couldn't Install on USB Storage or SD Card

Search This thread

StephanBotha

Apr 18, 2012
Hi there!

I received my HTC One two days ago and I am unable to install any PAID apps on the phone. I am able to install free apps without an issue though.

I have searched all over the internet and found two possible solutions, which don't work. These solutions were:

• Unmount the SD card. Install app, remount the SD card. This won't work as the HTC One does not have an SD card
  • In the secure/asec folder, find and delete "smdl2tmp1.asec". Although I found the folder, it was empty and therefore I was unable to delete the file.

I have also completely wiped my phone twice already. I checked the Kernel and Firmware version and it's all up to date. Below are screenshots of the device info.

tCV9sIn.png

FvEMIGX.png

Finally, I also realized, only after I paid for the device, it's a Dev device. I don't know if this makes any difference though.

The bootloader is unlocked and the device has been rooted. I have full access over the file system.

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
You're using an old custom ROM! Flash any new ROM of your choice from the dev section and it should fix the problem. The issue is within the kernel.

Hi there!

I received my HTC One two days ago and I am unable to install any PAID apps on the phone. I am able to install free apps without an issue though.

I have searched all over the internet and found two possible solutions, which don't work. These solutions were:

• Unmount the SD card. Install app, remount the SD card. This won't work as the HTC One does not have an SD card
  • In the secure/asec folder, find and delete "smdl2tmp1.asec". Although I found the folder, it was empty and therefore I was unable to delete the file.

I have also completely wiped my phone twice already. I checked the Kernel and Firmware version and it's all up to date. Below are screenshots of the device info.

tCV9sIn.png

FvEMIGX.png

Finally, I also realized, only after I paid for the device, it's a Dev device. I don't know if this makes any difference though.

The bootloader is unlocked and the device has been rooted. I have full access over the file system.

roman1984

Dec 18, 2013
Hi,

I'm having a similar problem to the OP. I have a GPE HTC One which is rooted and S-Off. I just updated the software from 4.4 to 4.4.2, at which point the inability to update or install paid apps appeared. As in the original post, I can't find the smdl2tmp1.asec. In fact, my entire mnt/secure folder is empty, as is mnt/asec. I also don't have a .android_secure folder, as has been mentioned in other posts. If I restore to a previous backup running 4.4, everything works fine. The issue is only with installs or updates from the Play Store, because I am able to install the apps from my Titanium backups just fine, but when I do, I get the same error message when I try to update them.

Thanks

uublive

Jul 1, 2008
Hi,

I'm having a similar problem to the OP. I have a GPE HTC One which is rooted and S-Off. I just updated the software from 4.4 to 4.4.2, at which point the inability to update or install paid apps appeared. As in the original post, I can't find the smdl2tmp1.asec. In fact, my entire mnt/secure folder is empty, as is mnt/asec. I also don't have a .android_secure folder, as has been mentioned in other posts. If I restore to a previous backup running 4.4, everything works fine. The issue is only with installs or updates from the Play Store, because I am able to install the apps from my Titanium backups just fine, but when I do, I get the same error message when I try to update them.

Thanks

Hi,
I have this exact same issue. Nothing in secure folder etc. From 4.4 to 4.4.2 via OTA.

StephanBotha

Apr 18, 2012
Hi,

Thanks

The only fix for this is to install Android Revolution ROM. At least, that's the only way I could fix mine :crying:

BenPope

Dec 20, 2007
You should always use stock recovery for OTA updates. This problem is probably due to applying the OTA with a custom recovery.

roman1984

Dec 18, 2013
Did you have to go back to TWRP and reinstall the GPe ROM? Or did you just have to flash TWRP and it started working again?

Once I was able to update using the stock recovery, all I had to do was flash TWRP and everything worked fine (no need to reinstall the GPE ROM since that was already running).