[Q] Double Tap To Wake While On A Table

Search This thread

sfreemanoh

Oct 20, 2008
Yeah, that's never worked for me either. It seems like the sensor only gets activated once I pick it up.

d1ez3

Mar 27, 2011
Orlando, Florida
Yeah someone in marketing was misinformed. Unless you're using a custom kernel, you need to move the device first to get it to wake from a tap or swipe

Nevermore

Sep 13, 2007
Bronx, NY
Thanks for the feedback. I ask because someone tweeted @ me: "Bring your unit back to the carrier you purchased it from. It's worked fine for us with no issue at all."

R

richii0207

For me, I tap the screen once and then double tap it right after. Seems to do the job.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Free mobile app

wtoj34

Jan 28, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Settings, display and gestures, g sensor calibration. Calibrate it poorly intentionally slanted against a book or whatnot. It thinks your device is tilted when it is laying down.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Rushing

Jan 13, 2012
Los Angeles
well really its like this ==> Settings/Display & gestures/Motion Launch Gestures/HELP =(look (close its really there =] ) and then under Double tap it reads "Pick up the phone in portrait orientation and double tap to wake " but if I really double tap mine while its laying flatly screen up with some force it wakes just make sure you really give it good tapping.

Other than that test to see if picking it first portrait orientation and give it a few taps and see if it wakes.

I just saw the post above mine that is a great answer/work around. I like that kind of thinking.

Last edited:

PCTechNerd

Jul 16, 2007
Settings, display and gestures, g sensor calibration. Calibrate it poorly intentionally slanted against a book or whatnot. It thinks your device is tilted when it is laying down.

I was going to reply with this exact method until I saw that you did so.

This works, and resolves the issue completely. now a light double tap even turns on the screen while it is laying flat.

deeznuts

Sep 19, 2007
It's a pretty simple concept. Unlike the LG G2, this phone came with some more smarts to save battery. The G2 device is ALWAYS active to receive phone taps, thus using more battery. The M8 device only once the phone is in motion it turns on the sensor to recieve any kind of double tap, thus saving battery! Pretty nice IMO and smart. Motion control window says itself you need to pick up device then double tap to activate.

For people who want to bypass this you can:
A. Tap the phone hard while on a desk thus causing the phone to move around waking up the motion sensor to activate double tap.

B. Give the G Sensor setting a bad setting so when device is laid flat on a surface the phone thinks it's not flat thus activating the double tap feature all the time thus using more battery.

So either love the feature for what it is or don't and us more battery.

Napoleones

May 3, 2014
The M8 double-tap to wake requires you to pick up the phone. The double-tap motion is not enough. If you double tap it while flat on a table it may work but usually it does not or very inconsistent.. Lift it and it will always work.

Orch4rd

Oct 11, 2014
What's happening is when you move or pick up the phone the proximity sensor is activated, allowing the double-tap function to work, but after a few seconds of leaving it on the table, the sensor will shut off until it is disturbed again.

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
What's happening is when you move or pick up the phone the proximity sensor is activated, allowing the double-tap function to work, but after a few seconds of leaving it on the table, the sensor will shut off until it is disturbed again.

Not quite. Pick it up upside down and tap - nothing will happen. Double tap to wake works only right side up in portrait - which makes a lot of Sense. :D
You don't want anything to wake it when it's upside down in your pocket, right?

Orch4rd

Oct 11, 2014
Not quite. Pick it up upside down and tap - nothing will happen. Double tap to wake works only right side up in portrait - which makes a lot of Sense. :D

Interesting!
Actually I notice what's also keeping the double-tap function to work is the light senor, regardless the phone's position.
The sensor is located left of the front camera; try covering it up and see if you can double-tap to wake your phone :)

Orch4rd

Oct 11, 2014
No.. You definitely can't. Either you're not covering the sensor or you're not using a Verizon m8.

Born<ICs

Oct 29, 2012
GMT -5
Hey how are things ?
No idea if supported on this device but wouldn't Swipe to Wake (Up) be better solution to Double Tap?
PS Need you over on Nexus 6P. :cool:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.