[Q] What to do if booting into recovery doesn't work?

Search This thread

prazvt

Aug 9, 2011
SF Bay Area
I sort of asked this question in the other 'Can't boot into recovery' thread..but wanted to ask about the same thing in general.

So I'm new to using flashboot and Flashtool; I've always had Samsung phones so mostly just dealt with Odin and Heimdall if I needed to flash a kernel or firmware outside of recovery. In the past 24 hrs, I've used fastboot to flash the custom recovery / kernel and then later stock kernel, and Flashtool to flash the stock .55 firmware after I was having some issues w/ the phone.

- Issues:

1 - When I shut down the phone, it won't stay off; it'll reboot.

2 - Can't get into recovery; only fastboot. During my 2nd attempt at root, I wanted to simply flash the custom recovery / kernel in stock recovery, but the light that's supposed to come on when you turn on the phone, wouldn't. So ended up having to install it via fastboot again.

I can get into recovery now - but I'd like to understand what causes the inability to boot into recovery, and what is right course of action to fix it.

Thanks!

Praz

Envious_Data

Oct 12, 2012
Imagination
enviousmedia.design
I cant answer all but ill answer some

1. Xperia devices do not have a reboot wrapper hence making rebooting into recovery not work

2. Xperias do not have recovery partitions hence no stock recovery

3. Find a .69 firmware , this should fix some bugs

4. If you want a custom recovery you will have to flash a custom kernel and to do any of that you need to unlock your bootloader otherwise it'll brick your device

5. Flashtool can be used to flash doomkernel
Doomkernel being a custom kernel which for all devices being a flawless kernel of which containing 3 different recoveries

Sent from my D6503 from XDA Premium 4 mobile app

prazvt

Aug 9, 2011
SF Bay Area
Thanks for the reply. At this point I've installed Doomlord's kernel and RomAur ROM. The only issue I'm seeing is that the phone won't turn off. I have to hold power and the volume up button until the phone vibrates three times and let go. Then it stays off.

Oh and the notification light stays on sometimes.

I guess that's a step up.

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

BanziBaby

Oct 21, 2010
If the phone wont power off make sure you don't have the quick boot option ticked in developer options, this is known to cause the phone not to power off.

prazvt

Aug 9, 2011
SF Bay Area
If the phone wont power off make sure you don't have the quick boot option ticked in developer options, this is known to cause the phone not to power off.

Okay, I checked and it looks like quickboot is not enabled. It's very odd - aside from flashing CWM+root and the ROM, I haven't explicitly set any options related to powering on/off. Is there anything root related that could cause it?

Envious_Data

Oct 12, 2012
Imagination
enviousmedia.design
Okay, I checked and it looks like quickboot is not enabled. It's very odd - aside from flashing CWM+root and the ROM, I haven't explicitly set any options related to powering on/off. Is there anything root related that could cause it?

Root shouldn't have caused anything
Root is 2 simple individual files which are self dependant

I wouldn't be suprised if it was a unit fault

Try reflashing your firmware and see if the issue arises again if it does, try to get a replacement

Reactions: prazvt

prazvt

Aug 9, 2011
SF Bay Area

Try reflashing your firmware and see if the issue arises again if it does, try to get a replacement

I hope it's not something that bad! But thanks for the clarification regarding root, that helps.

Alright - will give it another shot. I have a .55ftf that I found after hunting around the web, but is there a site like sammobile that has Z2 firmwares? Or do I need to relock my phone and then use PC Companion (ie do a repair)?

EDIT: NM, someone posted the EURO LTE .55 ftf :)

Last edited:

Envious_Data

Oct 12, 2012
Imagination
enviousmedia.design
I hope it's not something that bad! But thanks for the clarification regarding root, that helps.

Alright - will give it another shot. I have a .55ftf that I found after hunting around the web, but is there a site like sammobile that has Z2 firmwares? Or do I need to relock my phone and then use PC Companion (ie do a repair)?

EDIT: NM, someone posted the EURO LTE .55 ftf :)

Hmm id wait a tiny bit for later versions FTFs to show up maybe global generic or country generic

I'm not to sure about PC companion, i don't use windows and PC companion last i checked was windows only
Last time i used, it was for Locked Bootloaders Only hence my reason to use flashtool

Try using "FlashTool" (Not emma flashtool by the way) to flash a FTF file to your device.

prazvt

Aug 9, 2011
SF Bay Area
Hmm id wait a tiny bit for later versions FTFs to show up maybe global generic or country generic

I'm not to sure about PC companion, i don't use windows and PC companion last i checked was windows only
Last time i used, it was for Locked Bootloaders Only hence my reason to use flashtool

Try using "FlashTool" (Not emma flashtool by the way) to flash a FTF file to your device.

Is the Euro LTE one not generic? Mine is the UK unlocked phone from Clove. Yeah I've been using Flashtool so far (the one for ftfs w/ the 'Blu' button)

Envious_Data

Oct 12, 2012
Imagination
enviousmedia.design
Is the Euro LTE one not generic? Mine is the UK unlocked phone from Clove. Yeah I've been using Flashtool so far (the one for ftfs w/ the 'Blu' button)

Euro LTE should be Generic Europe if the title says what it is

To flash a FTF its the Lightning icon at the top left, select flashmode not fastboot

Id recomend unlocking your bootloader as this lowers risks however your warenty is voided doing so

Reactions: prazvt

prazvt

Aug 9, 2011
SF Bay Area

To flash a FTF its the Lightning icon at the top left, select flashmode not fastboot

Id recomend unlocking your bootloader as this lowers risks however your warenty is voided doing so

OK - some progress. I re-locked the bootloader and did a 'repair' with PC Companion. So far the phone is shutting down properly.

Also, I'm making a stock ftf for myself.

UPDATE:

I believe the issue is resolved - I did things a little differently this time...

1 - flashed the CWM via flashtool
2 - flashed superSU in CWM, activated superSU Pro
3 - installed busybox pro to /xbin and declined whatever funny business it was asking about at first (something already in /sbin)
4 - rebooted
5 - let some apps update, etc., then shut the phone down

It's staying off! Hopefully that's the end of that issue..

Last edited:
Reactions: Envious_Data

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

OK - some progress. I re-locked the bootloader and did a 'repair' with PC Companion. So far the phone is shutting down properly.

Also, I'm making a stock ftf for myself.

UPDATE:

I believe the issue is resolved - I did things a little differently this time...

1 - flashed the CWM via flashtool
    2 - flashed superSU in CWM, activated superSU Pro
    3 - installed busybox pro to /xbin and declined whatever funny business it was asking about at first (something already in /sbin)
    4 - rebooted
    5 - let some apps update, etc., then shut the phone down

It's staying off! Hopefully that's the end of that issue..