please delete

Would you like to see UbunTop as an upgrade for WebTop+?

• Keep UbunTop separate.

Votes: 48 19.4%
  • Make UbunTop a upgrade to WebTop+.

Votes: 86 34.8%
  • Have UbunTop as both standalone and upgrade.

Votes: 113 45.7%

• Total voters
Search This thread

BigJeff

Jun 4, 2011
Stanwood
The slow dl was probably do to the site getting hit pretty hard during the Big Android BBQ as SMM is actually a sub-site. SMM was averaging 30K hits a day (filtered) during the BBQ and accounted for over 80% of my bandwidth (unfiltered). Sadly I broke Google Analytics when I dropped in the translater and didn't get a chance to fiw it before I left.

I just pulled 1.2 and it averaged about 400KB/sec. The next day or so may be hit or miss as I'm also dealing with what looks like some DDOS BS as well in looking at the logs.

Yeah I just tried downloading it again and it failed at around 90 megs again...

Productzer01

Jul 21, 2011
Question for the locked photon users who are installing 1.2.

What command line did you use for executing the tar.gz files. My terminal says can't file not found in location.

I used sdcard, mnt/sdcard, mnt/sdcard-ext

I know that in this case the issue is PICNIC but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Currently the two install files are located in /mnt/sdcard-ext/ut1.2.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Lokifish Marz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
I know that I'm problematic but I can't open jpeg files with the gimp. do you know why? is it ok or somthing is wrong in my side?

Are you in Webtop+ or Ubuntop mode. I'm seeing most issues on the Webtop+ side.

Question for the locked photon users who are installing 1.2.

What command line did you use for executing the tar.gz files. My terminal says can't file not found in location.

I used sdcard, mnt/sdcard, mnt/sdcard-ext

I know that in this case the issue is PICNIC but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Currently the two install files are located in /mnt/sdcard-ext/ut1.2.

Thanks in advance.

Where are your files located? If you look at the script it will tell you exactly where you need to have them. Deviation breaks the commands. Also make sure you updated to the latest busybox

Lokifish Marz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
Does BSR backup, back up the osh and data/ home dirs.?
Or do we have to RSD back if this screws up?
Reading the readme file in zip you don't flash anything, just run the term commands?

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium

Bootstrap recovery doesn't backup /osh, wish it did. I'll try to get a tar.gz of stock webtop together for restoring /osh just in case. It would have to be done via adb or fastboot.

Everything is done via Android Terminal or adb shell. If you are locked, DO NOT FORMAT /osh EVER! You well get bootloops and have to sbf to stock and start all over.

Reactions: rbeavers

Productzer01

Jul 21, 2011

Where are your files located? If you look at the script it will tell you exactly where you need to have them. Deviation breaks the commands. Also make sure you updated to the latest busybox

Ok folder was in wrong sdcard.

Also had to update busybox.

The install went perfectly once I changed those two things. So far so good.

kisposi

Jan 31, 2011
Xiaomi Mi 9

I'm using UbuntopLX 1.1.1
EDIT:
I got the messsage "opening '... .jpg' failed Unknown file type.
And also Gimp does not see jpg files if I select "all images" in the open window. only if I select all files.
Do I need an addon to open jpg files? is it working for you?

Last edited:

Productzer01

Jul 21, 2011
Ok,
Trying to put this on my Andoid Touch. Tar says no z option and if I try without it I get "invalid tar magic".
Looked in play store under tar I didn't see anything.

This phone has gone through flashing hell. It's fuse says it's a Electrify locked with OTA 2.3.5.

It had Web Top before I deleted It :D

Update busybox once I updated it the install went good

Reactions: rbeavers

gbmaster137

Aug 8, 2012
the instructions say to flash ubuntop, reboot device, run webtop2sd, launch ubuntop, reboot, flash menupatch, reboot and enjoy

i don't know what to do in the run webtop2sd step, do i just open the app and close it, or do i need to activate something in the app?

Sent from my phone using this app

Hai_Duong

Feb 20, 2011
Göppingen
I have a question. I use a Atrix with this webtop but somehow my Webtop Connector app dosent remember (no notification) the tabs from firefox browser when i close my lapdock. I tried stock 2.3.6 webtop and there it works its a important feature i use very often. Thanks if there is a fix/workaround.

fischwrap

Jun 17, 2011
OnePlus 9 Pro
I had this up and running using CSROM (atrix4g) a few weeks ago, then went with JB rom for awhile. Flashed Nottachtrix this morning, set-up ubuntop again, and it runs fine, but firefox cant connect to the internet. clearing cache didnt fix it either :confused:

Productzer01

Jul 21, 2011
Could someone point me to the instructions on how to switch between webtop + and ubuntop in the 1.2 version. I can only find the instructions for 1.1 version

I had this up and running using CSROM (atrix4g) a few weeks ago, then went with JB rom for awhile. Flashed Nottachtrix this morning, set-up ubuntop again, and it runs fine, but firefox cant connect to the internet. clearing cache didnt fix it either :confused:

The read me says boot into recovery and clear cache.

fischwrap

Jun 17, 2011
OnePlus 9 Pro
The read me says boot into recovery and clear cache.

"clearing cache didnt fix it either"

i did that. i finally got firefox working by re-flashing nottachtrix and reflashing ubuntop/menupatch. but, webtop2sd FCs on me now. i cant install any of the software through synaptic package manager either, i get errors

Edit: ok now im super confused. I can't install any of the software with synaptic. I tried reflashing the ununtu and menupatch zips, but neither would flash, they both aborted with an error. Any ideas on a reason that could be?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'M BACK!!!

After having to back away from development and the community for a while for numerous reasons I'm back. I have a ton of PM's (mostly OMAP release requests) to read as well as threads so I'm playing catch up.

My goals for UT/WT+ will be another base change as well as a unified locked/unlocked version for Tegra2 devices. This will increase install time significantly but allow those with locked phones running Gingerbread the ability to use UT/WT+. I may release a fast installer version of the upcoming new release but make no promises. There is still no UT/WT+ solution for ICS and JBean users so please don't ask.

I will also be updating the website and changing a few things to make D/L's a bit easier for folks. So, yes I'm back but it may be a few days before new releases and site updates appear.
    I haven't forgotten about Ubuntop, just been busy with life. With repos dropping off and the brickwall that Avant has become it has changed the game significantly. I was almost finished with an XFCE "Unity look" build that would have fit on the Atrix then packages started disappearing from the repos. Had I known this I would have never put all that time into going through packages one by one to see what I could remove to get XFCE to fit.

Since then I've been trying to get something that is based on more current code while trying to get it to fit on an Atrix. Right now it's down to a base Puppy Debian ARM build but this now requires I build a working Puppy image that duplicates Canonical's and Moto's work with little to go on. There's also my desire to have such support implemented in AOSP so you guys are not stuck on GB. With many of the other webtop/moto devs having moved on this is a slow process.

I am also planning a relaunch of the website in January with at least one familiar name added to the Imperium banner.

Hey guys,

I've followed the instructions exactly as described, but I'm running into 2 problems:

1. I've run Webtop2sd without any errors thrown. Unfortunately, even though disk analyzer shows 2gb of space available on a 3gb partition, synaptic and apt-get are throwing an error essentially saying I don't have enough space to install the software I have attempted (OpenOffice, vlc).

2. Some of the repositories included by default do not seem to exist anymore.

From terminal in Ubuntop, run this command "df -h" and let me know what you get.

As far as the repos disappearing, Webtop was based on some very old code. The problem is that on the Atrix, getting an updated Ubuntu build to fit inside the 750MB partition is near impossible as even Maverick is dropping off as well.

Will UbunTop run over HDMI? I have an Otterbox Defender case and don't want to take the case off to drop it into the HD dock so I'd like to run it over HDMI (with bluetooth mouse/keyboard).

I did find a thread "[Q] Forcing Webtop over HDMI Cable" but it requires replacing several files so I was wondering if that trick would work for UbunTop?

If your ROM doesn't already support it then use nebtop.

If installing a new Gingerbread ROM, how can I preserve my Ubuntop setup?

Copy /data/home to you SDCard
    install your rom but do not format /osh
    after you set up your rom, copy your backup of /data/home back to the phone

This will preserve any customizations you have done to the desktop as well as any files/shortcuts you may have created.
    I've been trying to get together as much data as I can regarding the six Tegra2 devices that Moto dropped (eight if read by model number) as well as trying to locate the bloody ICS and JB Photon leaks (do not ask how I know they exist). I have also been trying to get what info I have to the proper press outlets like I did on Friday to break the news and reaching out to Moto via public and official means. As a result my dev time has been limited.

I can't remember if I uploaded the new menupatch yet for 1.1.0 but will try to get that taken care of. I also have not received much feedback from Imperium members regarding Beta 1.2.0. I'm still working on things but I hope folks understand that I'm also trying to help Moto Tegra2 owners as a whole.