[Q] HTC One vs. LG G2

Search This thread

kine42

Dec 23, 2013
Sunnyvale
so I currently have an HTC One, and i love it, EXCEPT for one thing... the placement of the power button.

My hands arent that big, and the placement of the power button is horrible, at least for me it is.

So, if anyone has an LG G2 or has used one, Id just like to know from your experiences, is that single button on the back as cool as I think it is? or not. thanks!

Reactions: Rasool_Hamilton

fromc2m

Jan 12, 2014
so I currently have an HTC One, and i love it, EXCEPT for one thing... the placement of the power button.

My hands arent that big, and the placement of the power button is horrible, at least for me it is.

So, if anyone has an LG G2 or has used one, Id just like to know from your experiences, is that single button on the back as cool as I think it is? or not. thanks!

The back buttons are pretty cool I've gotten used to them. But I mostly just use the knock on feature which is amazing! My brother has the HTC one it's a great phone as well. But my g2 is better in just about every way not sure if it's worth upgrading though the next HTC one is about to come out soon

Sent from my LG-D800 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: kine42

kine42

Dec 23, 2013
Sunnyvale
Right on bro, I appreciate the info.

I still might go with the LG G2. Cuz looking at the specs for the m8 makes me a sad panda.

O ya, forgot to ask in op but, the battery life on the LG is supposed to be awesome, is this true?

Thanks again bud

SPBoss

Apr 30, 2012
Battery life is ridiculous. Destroys any other android I've had. Even custom roms designed to save battery aren't as good as this. It's down to the 3000Mah beast inside ;) it can go for ages. Also charges extremely quickly too!

And u can reorganize the menu buttons to your liking! (I prefer home button in the middle, menu on the left, back on the right)

Hope this helps

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

tekneekz

Jan 31, 2014
Baltimore

Here's a review for you...

HTC one - It's a very stable device that has some time behind its belt and still has a big community of active devs and alot of users using the device in a STOCK FORM and ROOTED form and both love the device overall, and only flaws are things like you said, the button placement and the only other bad review i've seen about the HTC one is about the new way phone manufacturers are creating them, with a built-in battery and unable to add a external micro SD card.

My personal review of the two devices (as I have both).

HTC One M7 (AT&T Default Carrier)

If you might search around you would notice a thread by me where I messed my HTC one up and needed assistance to fix and get my device back to normal, and now it's running smooth and it is a great device to have, and has tons of options, customizations, and is a very good overall device via hardware, and software.

I am currently running Android 4.4.2 (KITKAT) on my HTC One (Stock Google Play Edition)...

My HTC One Device setup is...
DEVICE: HTC One M7 AT&T (Unlocked, Rooted, Bootloader Unlocked, S-OFF)
ROM: Android Revolution HD 61.0 by Mike1986 Google Play Edition.
MODS: Gravity Box [KK],
RECOVERY: TWRP v. 2.6.3.3

My overall thoughts of the device is, with the setup I'm running, I don't need any other phone... It's very fast, stable, and functional. Over any other devices I've been with or had none compare to the HTC One M7 that I'm currently running... I've had plenty of variety of devices from the Samsung galaxy S (2,3, and 4) devices, all of them rooted and non-rooted. I love the samsung S devices, but they don't even compare to the overall performance and comparison of the HTC One in my eyes, besides the fact that the S4 has a few things HTC dont with things such as Knox, and other different add-ons and features but then the Galaxy S devices dont have things the HTC one does like Beats Audio, and the speed hardware wise is much better with the HTC one then let's say the Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4.

Overall Rating:
Stock AT&T HTC One - 7.5/10.
(Not rooted, unlocked, Just brand new out the box coming from AT&T).
Rooted, Unlocked, S-OFF (mysetup): 9.2/10.

I rate the device out of 10 sections from software, performance, exterior, internals, speed, and build overall of the device, etc.

Now for my T-Mobile LG G2 (LG-D801) :

I purchased the T-Mobile LG G2 directly from T-Mobile about a month after it came out... When I first got the device, I knew it being brand new there was going to be some glitches and kinks in the device and software being that it was brand new and any new device that comes out, the first month or so always has some issues and has a updating coming shortly after, and I did receive some issues with the phone which I'll list and explain how to fix/and what temp fixes if your carrier hasnt sent out the fix yet.

LG G2 Issues I've faced.
- Screen Jump/Glitching:
My screen would jump around/glitch when I opened the app drawer with the home screen having the default background and the app drawer having mode set to Transparent background, when this is set the screen will jump and glitch around when you move to Page 2 of the App Drawer with these two settings set, LG already knows of the issue and it is suppose to be fixed in the next software update (which TMobile just got the update to 4.3 which did resolve some of the issues). But a fix for this issue to prevent it from happening is by changing the setting of the App Drawer background to a custom one or one of the default ones they provide and get it off of transparent, it seems that causes the glitch and it fixed after I did do this temp fix after goofing around with the device.

- Camera Lens:
The camera lens on the back of the LG G2, is very thin and not strong. A medium power flick with your finger will crack the glass. Be very careful with using the device to not drop or allow a pressure to be placed against the camera lens or the actual screen. It is not strong at all.

- Bloatware Apps (by Carrier & LG):
The bloatware that LG alone loaded this device up with is unreal. There is plenty pointless apps and features LG added with this device that I can promise you, you will never use it, unless your just looking around with the phone and want to learn about some of the things that it can do. LG did a good one with loading this device up to compete with other provide providers like Samsung coming out with Knox and Samsung Apps Center, etc... LG doesn't allow you to remove it either, but only Disable it, but even with disabling it, some still run due to other features require it. Then the carrier also loads up their known apps they include with devices as every carrier does (Besides if you purchased yours directly from Google Play Store).

- Knock On
There's been plenty of complaints that the knock on feature which is a feature I LOVE of the phone, is touchy where it doesn't want to work as they say it should with 2 knocks to turn on, and 2 knocks to turn back off, sometimes it takes alot more then two, and the pressure isnt always good that you need to use to turn it on.

- Sound Quality;
With headphones it sounds good but the playback speakers on the device are not that good. It isn't very loud at all even turned all the way up.

Now remember all this above is running a T-Mobile LG G2 (LG-D801) stock, out of the box device (Non-rooted, modified, etc).

My overall rating of the device...

Now because I said all this doesn't mean it's not a good phone... The phone is a EXCELLENT and a new device in the market that competes with the big guy's now like Galaxy S devices and iPhone.... The rear-key buttons, is a LOVE of mine when I thought I would hate it, but I LOVED IT, but it is actually amazing. Also some really cool features is the Multi-background feature, 3-Finger Slideaway, Multi-Window Tasking (best one I seen on a stock-device so far), etc.

The performance is a 7.5 because of the BLOATWARE and Pointless features installed that are not needed or even useful/helpful, You be better off without half the stuff. I say this because it sucks down the memory of the phone with all this crap, maybe leaving you 980MB of Memory left from the moment you power the device on the first time stock. If you disable all the features and uninstall the updates for them, it improves for about a additional +256MB of more Memory.

The camera on the device is very good, one of the best I've seen, Very Clear, with plenty of features to take the best shot of you doing anything you want, or need a photo of, and some cool little tweak features you can use to maake a badass photo shot, or others. Same goes for the Front Facing Camera, one of the best I've seen on a mobile device for clarity and overall status it's a good camera.

LGHome which is the G2's "home setup", as where Samsung Galaxy S device's have TouchWiz, The G2 has LGHome which is cool for people who don't want to root their phone but want to customize their device from the style of the phone, icons, app drawer, fonts, keyboards, messaging display and all. It comes with a Default Theme, and 2 other additional themes preinstalled. Which is very easy to manage and use and don't need no skills to know how, it's right under the phone settings options under Theme; You can download the Theme's directly from Google Play Store, or LG's Store (A Copy-Cat (not a very good one) version of LG's own Google Play Store and Samsung's "Samsung App Center" app) called LG Store which has a small-app store but just LG apps, includes sections: Keyboard, LG Home Themes, FontPacks, Messaging Themes, and more... (But you actually have to download this LGStore App from LG's website, It isn't available on Playstore and doesn't come with the LG G2).

The battery life is great, It lasts me all day long from 9AM-12MIDNIGHT for me is when and how long I use the phone for from disconnecting it from charger to plugging it back up when going to bed. I haven't noticed any issues but for those that don't know this, The battery life will BLOW, unless you do the correct way when first getting your LG G2 Device. Once you open your device and power it on for the first time (if brand new, out of the box) should come with about 50% battery, let it RUN and use the device until it completely DIES, 100% dead and powers off on it's own, do not turn the device back on, just plug the device onto your charger, and leave the device powered off and allow it to charge to 100% (I suggest a full 8 hours), once done, unplug the device and then power the device on again, and use it. I also suggest doing it one more time after the first initial charge, after you unplug it and power it back on after letting it charge for the first time for 8 hours (100%) let it completely die out again and power off on it's own, then do it one more time. This ensures the safety of your battery and the life of it. I know a friend of mine purchased the same exact device as I did, and his battery wouldnt last longer then 5 hours (4.5 hours to be exact) before hitting under 5% battery charge, because when he first got his device and instead of doing what I said, he powered it up, used it, once died, plugged it up, turned device back on, and left it on and used it while on charger instead of letting it actually powerup and charge 100% your battery, and overall his battery sucked ass. Where my battery last around 10-12 hours on a full-charge.

The HD Screen is Awesome also, Great GFX setup on the device... Photos are beautiful, Games are amazing, and overall is just good.

Overall Rating: 7.5-8 (STOCK OUT OF THE BOX EDITION)

Now if you ROOT your LG G2 and load it up with a Stock Google Play Edition ROM, or a Stock LG G2 Rom (4.3 or 4.4) LG/Carrier which there is plenty of options to choose, so that basically, your phone is a STOCK LG G2 without the bloatware and crappy apps provided by them, itll just have the features needed and overall (My recommendation, I rooted mine and ran a stock G2 ROM (without the extra LG apps, and Carrier Bloatware) to where it succeed well, and performance was AMAZING, much more RAM, less CPU usage, etc.

Rating: 9.5

I hope this helps.

kine42

Dec 23, 2013
Sunnyvale

Overall Rating:

Now if you ROOT your LG G2 and load it up with a Stock Google Play Edition ROM, or a Stock LG G2 Rom (4.3 or 4.4) LG/Carrier which there is plenty of options to choose, so that basically, your phone is a STOCK LG G2 without the bloatware and crappy apps provided by them, itll just have the features needed and overall (My recommendation, I rooted mine and ran a stock G2 ROM (without the extra LG apps, and Carrier Bloatware) to where it succeed well, and performance was AMAZING, much more RAM, less CPU usage, etc.

I hope this helps.

wow, yes, that was some GREAT information, thank you very much!

other than the camera lens being kinda iffy, I dont really even take many photos at all to begin with, I think Im going to wait for the g3, or the G Pro 2.

thanks again for the very informative reply though, much appreciated!

tekneekz

Jan 31, 2014
Baltimore
wow, yes, that was some GREAT information, thank you very much!

other than the camera lens being kinda iffy, I dont really even take many photos at all to begin with, I think Im going to wait for the g3, or the G Pro 2.

thanks again for the very informative reply though, much appreciated!

I sugest taking a look at the LG G Flex ( I Currently Have One w/ T-Mobile ) stock, non-rooted, out of the box brand new. I currently love it too, my top fav phones are:

1st. LG G2
2nd. LG G Flex -- tied with first, i just received it yesterday in the mail.
3rd. Samsung Galaxy S4
4th. HTC One.

Nikon5400

Jun 22, 2011

I hope this helps.

Is there GPE rom for G2?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

HTC one - It's a very stable device that has some time behind its belt and still has a big community of active devs and alot of users using the device in a STOCK FORM and ROOTED form and both love the device overall, and only flaws are things like you said, the button placement and the only other bad review i've seen about the HTC one is about the new way phone manufacturers are creating them, with a built-in battery and unable to add a external micro SD card.

My personal review of the two devices (as I have both).

HTC One M7 (AT&T Default Carrier)

If you might search around you would notice a thread by me where I messed my HTC one up and needed assistance to fix and get my device back to normal, and now it's running smooth and it is a great device to have, and has tons of options, customizations, and is a very good overall device via hardware, and software.

I am currently running Android 4.4.2 (KITKAT) on my HTC One (Stock Google Play Edition)...

My HTC One Device setup is...
    DEVICE: HTC One M7 AT&T (Unlocked, Rooted, Bootloader Unlocked, S-OFF)
    ROM: Android Revolution HD 61.0 by Mike1986 Google Play Edition.
    MODS: Gravity Box [KK],
    RECOVERY: TWRP v. 2.6.3.3

My overall thoughts of the device is, with the setup I'm running, I don't need any other phone... It's very fast, stable, and functional. Over any other devices I've been with or had none compare to the HTC One M7 that I'm currently running... I've had plenty of variety of devices from the Samsung galaxy S (2,3, and 4) devices, all of them rooted and non-rooted. I love the samsung S devices, but they don't even compare to the overall performance and comparison of the HTC One in my eyes, besides the fact that the S4 has a few things HTC dont with things such as Knox, and other different add-ons and features but then the Galaxy S devices dont have things the HTC one does like Beats Audio, and the speed hardware wise is much better with the HTC one then let's say the Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4.

Overall Rating:

I rate the device out of 10 sections from software, performance, exterior, internals, speed, and build overall of the device, etc.

Now for my T-Mobile LG G2 (LG-D801) :

I purchased the T-Mobile LG G2 directly from T-Mobile about a month after it came out... When I first got the device, I knew it being brand new there was going to be some glitches and kinks in the device and software being that it was brand new and any new device that comes out, the first month or so always has some issues and has a updating coming shortly after, and I did receive some issues with the phone which I'll list and explain how to fix/and what temp fixes if your carrier hasnt sent out the fix yet.

LG G2 Issues I've faced.
    - Screen Jump/Glitching:
    My screen would jump around/glitch when I opened the app drawer with the home screen having the default background and the app drawer having mode set to Transparent background, when this is set the screen will jump and glitch around when you move to Page 2 of the App Drawer with these two settings set, LG already knows of the issue and it is suppose to be fixed in the next software update (which TMobile just got the update to 4.3 which did resolve some of the issues). But a fix for this issue to prevent it from happening is by changing the setting of the App Drawer background to a custom one or one of the default ones they provide and get it off of transparent, it seems that causes the glitch and it fixed after I did do this temp fix after goofing around with the device.

- Camera Lens:
    The camera lens on the back of the LG G2, is very thin and not strong. A medium power flick with your finger will crack the glass. Be very careful with using the device to not drop or allow a pressure to be placed against the camera lens or the actual screen. It is not strong at all.

- Bloatware Apps (by Carrier & LG):
    The bloatware that LG alone loaded this device up with is unreal. There is plenty pointless apps and features LG added with this device that I can promise you, you will never use it, unless your just looking around with the phone and want to learn about some of the things that it can do. LG did a good one with loading this device up to compete with other provide providers like Samsung coming out with Knox and Samsung Apps Center, etc... LG doesn't allow you to remove it either, but only Disable it, but even with disabling it, some still run due to other features require it. Then the carrier also loads up their known apps they include with devices as every carrier does (Besides if you purchased yours directly from Google Play Store).

- Knock On
    There's been plenty of complaints that the knock on feature which is a feature I LOVE of the phone, is touchy where it doesn't want to work as they say it should with 2 knocks to turn on, and 2 knocks to turn back off, sometimes it takes alot more then two, and the pressure isnt always good that you need to use to turn it on.

- Sound Quality;
    With headphones it sounds good but the playback speakers on the device are not that good. It isn't very loud at all even turned all the way up.

Now remember all this above is running a T-Mobile LG G2 (LG-D801) stock, out of the box device (Non-rooted, modified, etc).

My overall rating of the device...

Now because I said all this doesn't mean it's not a good phone... The phone is a EXCELLENT and a new device in the market that competes with the big guy's now like Galaxy S devices and iPhone.... The rear-key buttons, is a LOVE of mine when I thought I would hate it, but I LOVED IT, but it is actually amazing. Also some really cool features is the Multi-background feature, 3-Finger Slideaway, Multi-Window Tasking (best one I seen on a stock-device so far), etc.

The performance is a 7.5 because of the BLOATWARE and Pointless features installed that are not needed or even useful/helpful, You be better off without half the stuff. I say this because it sucks down the memory of the phone with all this crap, maybe leaving you 980MB of Memory left from the moment you power the device on the first time stock. If you disable all the features and uninstall the updates for them, it improves for about a additional +256MB of more Memory.

The camera on the device is very good, one of the best I've seen, Very Clear, with plenty of features to take the best shot of you doing anything you want, or need a photo of, and some cool little tweak features you can use to maake a badass photo shot, or others. Same goes for the Front Facing Camera, one of the best I've seen on a mobile device for clarity and overall status it's a good camera.

LGHome which is the G2's "home setup", as where Samsung Galaxy S device's have TouchWiz, The G2 has LGHome which is cool for people who don't want to root their phone but want to customize their device from the style of the phone, icons, app drawer, fonts, keyboards, messaging display and all. It comes with a Default Theme, and 2 other additional themes preinstalled. Which is very easy to manage and use and don't need no skills to know how, it's right under the phone settings options under Theme; You can download the Theme's directly from Google Play Store, or LG's Store (A Copy-Cat (not a very good one) version of LG's own Google Play Store and Samsung's "Samsung App Center" app) called LG Store which has a small-app store but just LG apps, includes sections: Keyboard, LG Home Themes, FontPacks, Messaging Themes, and more... (But you actually have to download this LGStore App from LG's website, It isn't available on Playstore and doesn't come with the LG G2).

The battery life is great, It lasts me all day long from 9AM-12MIDNIGHT for me is when and how long I use the phone for from disconnecting it from charger to plugging it back up when going to bed. I haven't noticed any issues but for those that don't know this, The battery life will BLOW, unless you do the correct way when first getting your LG G2 Device. Once you open your device and power it on for the first time (if brand new, out of the box) should come with about 50% battery, let it RUN and use the device until it completely DIES, 100% dead and powers off on it's own, do not turn the device back on, just plug the device onto your charger, and leave the device powered off and allow it to charge to 100% (I suggest a full 8 hours), once done, unplug the device and then power the device on again, and use it. I also suggest doing it one more time after the first initial charge, after you unplug it and power it back on after letting it charge for the first time for 8 hours (100%) let it completely die out again and power off on it's own, then do it one more time. This ensures the safety of your battery and the life of it. I know a friend of mine purchased the same exact device as I did, and his battery wouldnt last longer then 5 hours (4.5 hours to be exact) before hitting under 5% battery charge, because when he first got his device and instead of doing what I said, he powered it up, used it, once died, plugged it up, turned device back on, and left it on and used it while on charger instead of letting it actually powerup and charge 100% your battery, and overall his battery sucked ass. Where my battery last around 10-12 hours on a full-charge.

The HD Screen is Awesome also, Great GFX setup on the device... Photos are beautiful, Games are amazing, and overall is just good.

I hope this helps.

The back buttons are pretty cool I've gotten used to them. But I mostly just use the knock on feature which is amazing! My brother has the HTC one it's a great phone as well. But my g2 is better in just about every way not sure if it's worth upgrading though the next HTC one is about to come out soon

Sent from my LG-D800 using xda app-developers app