Root my Z Ultra GPe

Search This thread

Sab3elbromba

Nov 29, 2007
New Cairo, EG
I have a Z Ultra GPe running 4.4.4 stock everything never wanted to root until the latest 4.4.4 OTA due to the low speaker volume, I can barely hear the phone ring anymore, I see there is a volume fix but that requires root and that's what I want to do; root.

As far as I understand and please correct me if I'm wrong, there are two ways to root :
1. Unlock bootloader, install dual recovery, change kernel, root.
2. Use towelroot apk to root the phone without modifying bootloader, recovery or kernel

I have seen that many people are facing camera problems when using method 1 due to unlocking the bootloader in addition to not receiving OTA updates after using method 1 (can't wait for Android L OTA)
If I root using method 2 will I avoid facing any camera problems and still receive OTA updates?

If there is another method I don't know about to fix the low volume issue or root my GPe please let me know, most important thing is that my camera is not affected and I continue to receive OTA updates.

Sent from my C6806_GPe using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Method 2 is the best way now that we have a root exploit. It wont modify the kernel/boot loader etc so should allow OTAs. As this is not unlocking the BL it shouldn't effect the camera (it is only 4.4.4 that this happened on), and you can back up the TA if you do ever want to unlock the BL. I would do a backup of the TA anyway as it will give you an easy root method should there not be one available on 5.0

in short: should work

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Can you please elaborate, I don't know what TA is and why or how to back it up?!

TA - Trim Area, It is where the DRM keys and other things are kept. It looks like this is what is breaking the camera in 4.4.4 with an unlocked BL. If you back up the TA you can restore it and thus relock the bootloader. There is a tool called TA backup linked in one of the stickies in the general section.

If in the future you cant get root to do a TA backup it would be handy to already have one. Then you can unlock the BL, flash supersu, restore TA and have a rooted phone with locked BL (and intact DRM keys)

Reactions: Sab3elbromba

Sab3elbromba

Nov 29, 2007
New Cairo, EG
TA - Trim Area, It is where the DRM keys and other things are kept. It looks like this is what is breaking the camera in 4.4.4 with an unlocked BL. If you back up the TA you can restore it and thus relock the bootloader. There is a tool called TA backup linked in one of the stickies in the general section.

If in the future you cant get root to do a TA backup it would be handy to already have one. Then you can unlock the BL, flash supersu, restore TA and have a rooted phone with locked BL (and intact DRM keys)

Sorry this may seem like a stupid question but I want to understand how this works;
If I root my device using the Towelroot exploit and my bootloader is locked and recovery and kernel are stock, will my TA or DRM keys be affected!?
I surely will backup my TA like you advised but I just wanna make sure I understand how it works as I am coming from a Samsung and HTC background so this is all new to me.

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Sorry this may seem like a stupid question but I want to understand how this works;
If I root my device using the Towelroot exploit and my bootloader is locked and recovery and kernel are stock, will my TA or DRM keys be affected!?
I surely will backup my TA like you advised but I just wanna make sure I understand how it works as I am coming from a Samsung and HTC background so this is all new to me.

and one last question please (sorry for asking so many questions)

Do I root first then backup, or do I backup then root?

You have it right, your TA (hence DRM keys) won't be affected by the root process.

Root then back up the TA partition. You need root to pull the disk image off the phone, that's why GPe users that unlocked/rooted before towelroot are in the position with a buggered camera that seems to be looking for DRM keys.

Reactions: Sab3elbromba

Pallavgarg10

Jul 30, 2013
This is a bit off topic but will we get an android L update at all now that the z ultra gpe has been pulled from the play store
People are saying that it has reached End of Life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

adfurgerson

Jan 24, 2011
This is a bit off topic but will we get an android L update at all now that the z ultra gpe has been pulled from the play store
People are saying that it has reached End of Life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Z Ultra Gpe released on Dec 13 2013. According to Google Gpe devices "traditionally" are updated for "about" 18 months. There is speculation that Gpe program may be winding down in favor of the "Silver" program. I would expect to see it updated to L but there are no guarantees.

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
google would be hurting their brand if they pulled updates after only 8 months. Would you buy another google branded phone if they did that, be it GPe or Silver? This is why I cant see them not supporting well in to L

Sab3elbromba

Nov 29, 2007
New Cairo, EG
Agree with blueether, Google will probably update the ZU GPE to Android L, but that may be the end of the updates we get

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Can you please elaborate, I don't know what TA is and why or how to back it up?!

and one last question please (sorry for asking so many questions)

Do I root first then backup, or do I backup then root?

You have it right, your TA (hence DRM keys) won't be affected by the root process.

Root then back up the TA partition. You need root to pull the disk image off the phone, that's why GPe users that unlocked/rooted before towelroot are in the position with a buggered camera that seems to be looking for DRM keys.