Search This thread

eagleeyetom

Retired Senior Mod & DC Lead - Active Pole Dancer
Jan 22, 2011
Gdańsk
xda-developers.com
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Dear kernel and ROM developers.
According to GPL v2 license, under which kernels are released, kernels must be released with source code provided.

To be fully compliant, the thread must contain.

@ kernel devs

• Successfully build and produce a valid output file, which is the same format as provided in the binary
  • Contain all source code, interface definition files, scripts used to control compilation and installation of the executable (it is not required to include the actual compiler/toolchain, but sufficient information should be made available to obtain the SAME configuration, including compiler flags, as used to build the binary version as released
Example.
Kick-ass kernel

1. Built with android-toolchain 4.8 4.8-2013.05 (linking isn't a bad idea)
  2. Branch used to compile (can be a direct link to git)
  3. Name of the defconfig used in build
  4. A short instruction about how to build it (not necessary, but useful)
@ ROM devs

• if ROM uses custom boot.img, the source must be provided. If it uses kernel by someone else, the kernel thread must be linked in the OP
  • if the ROM contains stock kernel, source must be linked (official site can be used)
  • Using a non GPL compliant kernel makes your ROM non compliant and subject to removal
Violation of GPL is in fact a breaking of the law, so I don't have to explain what could be a final of this.

More information can be found in the news written by pulser_g2.

Thank you for your attention.

Tom
XDA Senior Moderator

Reactions: xHausx

eagleeyetom

Jan 22, 2011
Gdańsk
xda-developers.com
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
I'm leaving this thread open. To all developers, you have 7 days to comply with GPL rules. After this time ALL non GPL threads will be closed and links removed.
If you have some concerns or questions, feel free to chime in into this thread.

Ace King 34

Apr 21, 2012
n/a
but what if the roms are to old and dont have device anymore and you dont know wich kernel u used o_O

just a question as i have this on some of my old roms

but most are using the same LibiSC Kernel

You can check the screenshots in the particular ROM thread and then find out from the screenshot about which kernel you used in the ROM and can provide a link to the kernels being used in your ROM.
;)

Mardon

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Hamburg
markusmenzel.de
Make it an announcement would be nice.
Much devs simply wont have read this thread like me too so my thread got locked.
Atm waiting for reopening.

eagleeyetom

Jan 22, 2011
Gdańsk
xda-developers.com
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Make it an announcement would be nice.
Much devs simply wont have read this thread like me too so my thread got locked.
Atm waiting for reopening.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. One week is long enough to do such simple thing as adding a link. Every member need to read the rules while joining the XDA and the rule says:
9. Don't get us in trouble.

Don't post copyrighted materials or do other things that will obviously lead to legal trouble. If you wouldn't do it on your own homepage, you probably don't want to do it here either. This does not mean we agree with everything the software piracy lobby try to impose on us, it simply means you cannot break any laws here, since we'll end up dealing with legal hassle caused by you. Please use common sense: respect the forum, its users, and those that write great code.

GPL is a part of the legal system, so should be followed on every forum.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I understand, but i have a question ...
    In old rooms or threads, this must be done too ?

Yes. All ROMs with kernels must have its source provided. No matter how old they are.
    Dear kernel and ROM developers.
    According to GPL v2 license, under which kernels are released, kernels must be released with source code provided.

To be fully compliant, the thread must contain.

@ kernel devs

• Successfully build and produce a valid output file, which is the same format as provided in the binary
    • Contain all source code, interface definition files, scripts used to control compilation and installation of the executable (it is not required to include the actual compiler/toolchain, but sufficient information should be made available to obtain the SAME configuration, including compiler flags, as used to build the binary version as released
    Example.
    Kick-ass kernel

1. Built with android-toolchain 4.8 4.8-2013.05 (linking isn't a bad idea)
    2. Branch used to compile (can be a direct link to git)
    3. Name of the defconfig used in build
    4. A short instruction about how to build it (not necessary, but useful)
    @ ROM devs

• if ROM uses custom boot.img, the source must be provided. If it uses kernel by someone else, the kernel thread must be linked in the OP
    • if the ROM contains stock kernel, source must be linked (official site can be used)
    • Using a non GPL compliant kernel makes your ROM non compliant and subject to removal
    Violation of GPL is in fact a breaking of the law, so I don't have to explain what could be a final of this.

More information can be found in the news written by pulser_g2.

Thank you for your attention.

Tom
    XDA Senior Moderator
    U allready remove link from some threads, that doesn't look like 7 days to me :p !

This user was warned about it before and didn't comply. Hence the removal. All the rest have 7 days to provide kernel sources in their threads.