[HOWTO] [REF] [FAQ] [Guides] [Tutorials] Flash/Root/ADB/ROM [MUST READ!]

Search This thread

ivanmmj

Retired Moderator
Jan 3, 2007
I'm working on something and need an answer before I can proceed...
Can the internal SD card (which holds the /data, I believe) be formatted back to stock by using the reformat option in Odin? I know that I, of all people, shouldn't be saying this... but I need to know TONIGHT.

Highl1

Mar 22, 2007
Beograd
I have one question. I flashed to JM1 with .512 pit and everything worked ok. Now I want to flash again (to JM2). Should I select again .512 pit in the odin, without the repartition option check?

Darkstriker

Oct 19, 2009
i9100
OnePlus 2
I have one question. I flashed to JM1 with .512 pit and everything worked ok. Now I want to flash again (to JM2). Should I select again .512 pit in the odin, without the repartition option check?

Yes, you should select the .512 file again.

I'm working on something and need an answer before I can proceed...
Can the internal SD card (which holds the /data, I believe) be formatted back to stock by using the reformat option in Odin? I know that I, of all people, shouldn't be saying this... but I need to know TONIGHT.

Odin does not touch the internal SD. It only works with the ROM.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

KristianEide

Aug 12, 2010
Some noob questions to sort out confusion.

Got my SGS some days ago and I'm now thinking of rooting, flashing and applying lag fix.
I just have some basic questions related that is hard to get a definite answare of because of all the posts.

Here's how am thinking of doing it. Comment if this is the wrong way to proceed:

1. Root my phone using: [REF] Howto root your SGS I9000 the easy way (keep all your data) (all firmwares)

2. Flashing phone with JM2 or JM5. (Any recommendations of which one to choose?) Getting the firmware from samsung-firmware.webs

3. Applying a lag fix. I don't know which one to choose. Open to suggestions.
Correct me if am wrong, but with the lag fix of partitioning the SD card into ext3/4 and fat32, is the ext3/4 for applications and the fat32 for storing pic, film and music?
If applying this lag fix, will the applications downloaded from the market install automatically in the ext3/4 partition or?

I have a 16 gb SD card. I also need the phone to be able to communicate with mac. With that I mean the posibility to set the phone in USB debuging mode and transfer multimedia files to my SD card.

dpalex

Jul 16, 2009
So, I just got into the whole samsung rooting and flashing thing and I was wondering, atm I have the I9000XXJF3 firmware, can I flash pretty much any firmware available or is there a restriction like there is on the HTC Magic (32A & 32B motherboards)?

The.Opethian

Nov 9, 2008
London
www.opethian.com
Just a recommendation to be added to the FAQ, regarding APN's, to ensure that the correct APN is used (PAYG or PostPay) as the default APN used after flashing is for PostPay. Hope this helps others.

Darkstriker

Oct 19, 2009
i9100
OnePlus 2
So, I just got into the whole samsung rooting and flashing thing and I was wondering, atm I have the I9000XXJF3 firmware, can I flash pretty much any firmware available or is there a restriction like there is on the HTC Magic (32A & 32B motherboards)?

We have only one hardware version so far (if you don't count the american versions) and you can flash any firmware from here

ionutz6

Nov 9, 2006
Bucharest
Thanks a million for the FAQ, man! Great work!
I just have my SGS for 3 days and of course I couldnt help myself and wanted to flash FroYo, especially since I had it on my N1 (stolen, RIP..) and your guide proved to be a life-saver.
I tried to follow a guide from samsung firmware etc, but they didn't mention to close Kies before doing the operation, so the update didn't start and I got lost and...
Anyway, thanks a lot!

zeromax

Nov 26, 2007
Hi, sorry if my questions is look silly..
I think my phone is brick..bcoz it not load the system.just samsung galaxy logo..
i never flashed before..just want to flash eroupe firmware becoause before this im using asian firmware DXJG4 to WJM5

Darkstriker

Oct 19, 2009
i9100
OnePlus 2
Hi, sorry if my questions is look silly..
I think my phone is brick..bcoz it not load the system.just samsung galaxy logo..
i never flashed before..just want to flash eroupe firmware becoause before this im using asian firmware DXJG4 to WJM5

try to get into download mode:
-remove the battery
-put it back in
-press and hold first volumeDown and Home and then power
-wait until the yellow downloading-logo appears and release the buttons immediately after you see it
-follow the flashing procedure again

zeromax

Nov 26, 2007
did i have to flash using the origional firmware or i just can flash to rom that i fail to flash before this,\
i already flash to JM5, using Odin..Firstly the process running smooth until when it finish and booting..it not booting normally but in recovery mode.is it right procedure i done? so i need to choose reboot now in recovery mode?the status at odin only show reset but not pass.

Last edited:

Darkstriker

Oct 19, 2009
i9100
OnePlus 2
It sounds like you just had a bad flash. I would suggest redownloading the firmware and trying again. It doesn't have to be your stock firmware.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

aeo087

Jun 24, 2010
Portland
Can you please add the battery fix to this thread? after flashing several firmwares the SGS starts draining battery faster and if you clear a certain file, it'll go back to normal... I can't find that thread anymore...

Darkstriker

Oct 19, 2009
i9100
OnePlus 2
Can you please add the battery fix to this thread? after flashing several firmwares the SGS starts draining battery faster and if you clear a certain file, it'll go back to normal... I can't find that thread anymore...

If you are referring to this, I will not add it since first of all its validity is strongly disputed and secondly because it makes no sense that it would change anything because that file is deleted on every firmware flash. There is absolutely no need to delete it manually afterward!

rocketpaul

Apr 25, 2010
If you are referring to this, I will not add it since first of all its validity is strongly disputed and secondly because it makes no sense that it would change anything because that file is deleted on every firmware flash. There is absolutely no need to delete it manually afterward!

Can anyone help me ?
So i reflashed my rom with odin but i forgot to take out the sim now the phone says no signal even when the sim is not inserted. I have tried to flash again with no luck.

Originally i was on jm5 i re flashed to JM2 (this time with repartition) but no i have no signal. Have i broken the phone?

Darkstriker

Oct 19, 2009
i9100
OnePlus 2
Seems unlikely to me. You may have broken your SIM-card. My phone always says no signal when it doesn't have a simcard. try to reboot with the simcard once more and if it doesnt work, try the simcard in a different phone. that will help narrow it down.

PS: I have flashed with SIM card inserted plenty of times without any issues of that kind.

rocketpaul

Apr 25, 2010
Thanks for you help, another memeber helped me solve it. I needed to flash all three files modem, pda and csc. :)

veenone

Feb 27, 2008
Jakarta
Hi,

I just reflashed my sgs with DXJF4, and after it rebooted, it gave me this error :

E: Error in / cache / recovery / sec_csc.zip
(Status 7)
Installation Aborted

do you know what caused this? and how I can fix it? I tried .PIT 512 and 513 and both didn't work.

and btw, I've downloaded several different firmwares from samsung-firmwares, and all of them are corrupted so they can't be extracted at all.

Anyone has the same problem?

Darkstriker

Oct 19, 2009
i9100
OnePlus 2
As far as I know, f/w from samsung-firmwares works without a hitch. Alternatively you may try downloading it from my mirror.
That problem above may be cause by a corrupt firmware but to be honest, i have never seen it before.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dear xda'er from the USA: To the disappointment of some in this forum, the xda-team has decided to split the sections on the Samsung Galaxy S i9000 and its US-counterparts into SEPARATE sections! You will be able to get some help here but you will likely be better helped/supported/suited in the forums that belong to your specific device!
    Note: Many of the FAQs may still apply to you and you are welcome to make use of our setup. However, if you have open questions I suggest directing them to the above mentioned forums.

IP-Notice: You are welcome to use the information in this thread! If you do, please link the original source.
    I try to give credit where due. If you feel I am using your content without your authorization or proper credits, please contact me!

General Note: There are now four official models of the Samsung Galaxy S outside the US: the GT-I9000 (International), GT-I9000M (Canada), GT-I9000B (Brazil), GT-I9000T (Mexico). All information in this FAQ is based on the GT-I9000 International version. Most of them also apply to the other models. The I9000M and I9000T are virtually identical to the I9000 and are mostly compatible with I9000 software. The I9000B has an added digital television receiver and is generally not as compatible. Please check carefully before starting to mess with the firmware on your device, check for possible compatibility issues beforehand and ALWAYS make sure you have three button recovery (see FAQ#A12)
    Note: The I9000B has a separate FAQ
    Note2: For the Korean Galaxy S SHW-M110S, please see this separate FAQ

Disclaimer: This FAQ is provided as-is without any warranties to completeness/correctness. I will take no responsibility if you break/brick/damage your phone.

Contents:
    Post#1: Frequently Asked Questions
    Post#2: HOWTO Section
    Post#3: ADB Tutorial
    Post#4: Tutorials and Fixes
    Post#5: Tips & Tricks
    Post#6: Firmware Selection Guide

FAQ Sections:
    A. General
    B. Firmware
    C. Modding
    D. Applications
    E. Recovery

(A) General:
    1.How can I reset my phone?
    2.I have flashed a new firmware and now my phone won't connect to 3G. What's wrong?
    3.Can I disable 2G broadband like on the Desire/N1?
    4.I flashed a new firmware and now I cannot download protected apps and Market-enabler doesn't work. How can I still install protected apps?
    5.My phone takes forever to get a GPS-fix? Is there a solution to this problem?
    6.I am experiencing long loading times when opening apps/intermittent lags when switching screens. What is the problem?
    7.My G-sensor seems to be off. How can I calibrate it?
    8.I have a SIM-Locked phone. Is there anything I need to look out for?
    9.When will Ice Cream Sandwich be released for my shiny new phone?
    10.I'm running Linux. Can I still flash my firmware? Do I need to install Windows?
    11.Most phones have a bunch of codes that can be entered in the dialer for special functions. What are they on the SGS?
    12.My phone cannot enter download mode or recovery mode using the buttons combos. What can I do?
    13.I live in Canada/Mexico (The Americas in general). Can I get my phone to use the 850Mhz bands with I9000 Modems?

1.How can I reset my phone?
    On the Galaxy S the soft-reset is achieved by pressing and holding the power button. A hard-reset can executed by pressing and holding VolumeUP+Home+Power. There you will find the options "reboot", "apply sdcard:update.zip", "wipe data/factory reset" and "wipe cache partition". (Note: The list of options can vary considerably after installing modified firmware/kernels)
    The "wipe data/factory reset" option will restore your phone to the original configuration of the firmware YOU LAST INSTALLED (including any updates made via update.zip). This will NOT bring your phone back to the firmware installed when you originally bought it unless you haven't flashed your phone.
    You can navigate the recovery screen using VolumeUp & VolumeDown and use the Home button to select.

2.I have flashed a new firmware and now my phone won't connect to 3G. What's wrong?
    The CSC you used is most likely not intended for your area. This means that the broadband provider settings are not included and need to be configured manually. To do this, go to Settings->Wireless and Networks->Mobile Networks->Access Point Names, press the settings-button and select "New APN". You will then need to enter the respective data as provided by you mobile operator. APN settings can usually be found on the operators website.

3.Can I disable 2G broadband like on the Desire/N1?
    As of firmware XWJM1 (July 2010), this function is available in the wireless settings. All current firmwares now have this feature.

4.I flashed a new firmware and now I cannot download protected apps and Market-enabler doesn't work. How can I still install protected apps?
    This is done by google to protect commercial applications from piracy. This usually only happens on internal beta firmwares. Use Eris Market Fix from the Market or the tutorial in P#4,T#1. Both fixes require root privileges (See FAQ#C1)

5.My phone takes forever to get a GPS-fix? Is there a solution to this problem?
    It appears that the XWJM1 and XWJM2 firmwares have mostly fixed the major GPS issues and the general consensus is that these firmwares deliver consistently better GPS results than previous firmwares. The usability, however, still varies per location and sometimes the software gets no fix despite seeing plenty of satellites.
    To date, there appear to be no better fixes available. There are still many reports that GPS is flaky and it appears as if Samsung is no longer working on improvements in this area.

6.I am experiencing long loading times when opening apps/intermittent lags when switching screens. What is the problem?
    The Samsung Galaxy S uses the internal SD to store cache data by default. This storage uses the severely outdated RFS (FAT-related) filesystem. Next the to poor performance in a good state, RFS appears to rapidly manifest massive amounts of filesystem errors which cause the experience on the SGS to degrade over time.
    Currently almost all custom kernels fix the problem by replacing the RFS filesystem with ext4 on (virtually) all partitions (some do not touch the /efs partition). Original credit for the discovery that the filesystem was the problem belongs to mimocan and the fix has since been refined by RyanZA, z4ziggy, sztupy and most notably supercurio.

7.My G-sensor seems to be off. How can I calibrate it?
    The G-sensor calibration appears to be off in a lot of shipped devices. Current firmwares can calibrate the accelerometer in the Display menu.

8.I have a SIM-Locked phone. Is there anything I need to look out for?
    As of now there are several reports of successfully flashed SIM-locked phones and no reports of any (related) problems.
    This means that as of now (there seem) to be no specific restrictions for SIM-locked phone except the lock itself. However, the lock on the Galaxy S can be easily removed. Please refer to T&T#20 for unlocking your phone.

9.When will Ice Cream Sandwich be released for my shiny new phone?
    At the moment, there are no indications that Samsung will release a fully featured Android 4.0 firmware for the Galaxy S. They are, however, porting several ICS features to Android 2.3. While this is very disappointing, there are several ICS ports based (in part) on the sources for the Nexus S available already which will probably result in a relatively stable build in the long term.

10.I'm running Linux/OSX. Can I still flash my firmware? Do I need to install windows?
    If you are running Linux or OSX you do not need to install Windows. You can either run Odin in a virtual machine or alternatively use Heimdall by Benjamin Dobell. Heimdall runs natively on Linux and OSX and has reached a well tested release state.

11.Most phones have a bunch of codes that can be entered in the dialer for special functions. What are they on the SGS?
    There is a list of "secret codes" here. There are also several apps in the market with these features in the market.

12.My phone cannot enter download mode or recovery mode using the buttons combos. What can I do?
    Some batches in various countries seem to not have this feature. However, Samsung Canada has released a fix via Kies (for the I9000M) and it has been adopted to suit a larger audience (I9000 and I9000M). Instructions on how to update your phone to get the three-button-combo can be found here or here. Note: Follow the instructions in that post CAREFULLY and read it completely BEFORE attempting to do anything on your phone. If done improperly, this can still brick your device!!!

13.I live in Canada/Mexico (The Americas in general). Can I get my phone to use the 850Mhz bands with I9000 Modems?
    Users in the Americas will find that the I9000 modems use the 900Mhz band which is not used in the Americas. However, since the I9000 is virtually hardware-identical to the I9000M and others which do use the 850Mhz band, the band can enabled on the I9000 modems. There is a guide here.

(B) Firmware:
    1.What is a ROM/firmware?
    2.Can I update my firmware?
    3.Why are there sometimes multiple files in the firmware archive/folder?/Why do I get three different versions when using *#1234#?
    4.Can I mix PDA/Modem/CSC files from different firmwares without bricking my phone?
    5.My phones software version says I9000XXJF3/XXJF5/xxxxx. What does this mean?
    6.I want to install new firmware but I want to have a backup of my original firmware to go back to in case I need to go back for warranty reasons. Can I backup my original firmware somehow?
    7.Can I flash an Asian ROM on my European device or vice versa?
    8.What is the .pit file? Why are there different versions?
    9.I flashed a new firmware using Odin (or Kies) and now my phone is acting weird (force closes etc)? Also, my settings are also still there.

1.What is a ROM/firmware?
    The firmware/ROM is the software that runs on the phone. In case of the Galaxy S this is (currently) Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread. The Galaxy S was initially released with Android 2.1 Eclair and will most likely not receive any major firmware upgrades anymore. Samsung is porting several features from newer Android versions but has refused to bring a fully-featured Android 4.0 release on the grounds that the TouchWiz UI together with ICS would be to big for the normal system partition.

2.Can I update my firmware?
    Most likely: Yes. You can update your firmware through Samsungs official application (Kies) and with firmwares that have been leaked or otherwise been obtained for installation without using the Samsung Kies software. You can find firmwares made by Samsung for phones all over the world, here. You will also find a guide to the installation in HOWTO#1 in the second post of this thread.
    Note: Please also keep in mind that not all firmwares that come with phones are available. Reflashing to stock may not be possible because the specific firmware isn't available!

3.Why are there sometimes multiple files in the firmware archive/folder?/Why do I get three different versions when using *#1234#?
    Galaxy S firmware updates come in three parts (which are sometimes packaged as one file):
    -The CODE itself (called PDA). This is android and all the applications that come with it. (The archives/folders will be named after the version of this file)
    -The MODEM (called Phone). This is the firmware of the wireless chipset of the device and will operate you WiFi, Blutooth and 3G/2G/GSM connections. (ie Radio ROM)
    -The CSC (short for Customer Specific Customization). This includes connection data for the broadband networks as well as apps that are only available in certain languages/intended for a specific area.
    If we ask for your firmware, we want to know all three!
    Since not all of these require updates simultaneously, often then CSC and MODEM files will have lower version numbers.
    (Also when packaged in one file the repartition option should NEVER be checked in Odin because it will mess up your partition layout and will require a reflash with three-part firmware!)
    Most firmwares that are currently available are no longer split up into the three parts and instead delivered as one which can be flashed by entering it as the PDA/CODE in Odin.

4.Can I mix PDA/Modem/CSC files from different firmwares without bricking my phone?
    Yes. Most Modem/CSC files will work with any PDA. However, there may be compatibility issues which may force you to reflash your phone. Note also that newer CSCs usually include newer versions of the software that comes with them (Some of which may not be upgradable via the market or other means).

5.My phones software version says I9000XXJF3/XXJF5/xxxxx. What does this mean?
    The first two letters describe the country while the third gives the year, the fourth gives the month and the last number/letter is the version of the firmware (from that specific month. Numbering starts at 1-9 and then uses letters from A-Z). For an extensive list of the country codes, see this thread.
    Note: To better distinguish the firmware releases based on a new Android version (2.1 vs 2.2 vs 2.3 etc), Samsung has shifted the use of the third and forth letter and these are now no longer coherent with the year and month according to Samsung's old system.

6.I want to install new firmware but I want to have a backup of my original firmware to go back to in case I need to go back for warranty reasons. Can I backup my original firmware somehow?
    You can backup most of your firmware through Clockwork Recovery, however, since this already requires root it is not suitable for a warranty return. Nevertheless virtually all firmwares that are currently being shipped with the phone are available and thus a restoration is almost always possible.

7.Can I flash an Asian ROM on my European device or vice versa?
    Flashing firmwares between several areas is easily possible. Please make sure you have the correct model before flashing. The international SGS has the model I9000. The Korean version and the US variants have significantly different model numbers and firmwares for those phones should NEVER be flashed on the I9000 or vice versa.

8.What is the .pit file? Why are there different versions?
    There are now three different versions of the .pit file. 513.pit, 512.pit and 803.pit. Most firmwares since the end of 2010 do not require a .pit file to be selected. Generally only the 512 version is used. The .pit file is only necessary if you intend to repartition the phone. If you do, you inadvertently wipe all your data (not the internal SDcard). Since the partitioning of the device has not changed for more than a year, repartitioning is almost never necessary unless you used a custom firmware like cyanogenmod, which changes the partition sizes.
    The .pit file maps partitions on the NAND storage.

9.I flashed a new firmware using Odin (or Kies) and now my phone is acting weird (force closes etc)? Also, my settings are also still there.
    Some firmwares that can be flashed via Odin and the firmwares that are flashed using Kies, do not touch your settings and they do not empty your cache and appdata partitions. As a results, there is data there from previous firmwares which may lead to unforseen complications. Especially so, if your previous firmware was based on a different android version (i.e. flashing from XWJM6(android 2.1) to XXJPC(android 2.2)). You can attempt to overcome this by wiping the cache. Usually, to resolve this, you have to do a factory reset according to FAQ#A1

(C) Modding:
    1.What is root/rooting?
    2.What are customROMs? How do I get them?

1.What is root/rooting?
    root is the user account in Linux with all privileges. The root user can edit anything on the system. For safety reasons, users do not have all those privileges. When you root your phone, you will gain write access to areas of the phone you couldn't previously access and are allowed to run more commands in the terminal. Because applications do not get a lot of priviledges, some of them require you to root the device in order for them to function properly (or fully). There is a tutorial for rooting in the Post #2 and there is a Chainfire Root that works most firmwares. CF-Root essentially is a kernel that is flashed over the original kernel.
    If all of this means nothing to you then you are probably wise to NOT root your phone. Mistakes using root can break your phone very easily. (Usually, but not always, these can be solved with a reflash)

2.What are customROMs? How do I get them?
    Custom ROMs are modified versions of the Samsung firmware or complete rewrites of the Android OS for the Galaxy S such as Cyanogenmod (and the derivative MIUI). Almost all current custom ROMs are based on Android 2.3 with some now being based Android 4. They can be found in the Android Development Subforum.

(D) Applications:
    1.I tried using Allshare/DLNA but it will not recognize my device/play any files?
    2.Can I change the default homescreen of the Touchwiz Launcher?

1.I tried using Allshare/DLNA but it will not recognize my device/play any files?
    As of now a lot of DLNA certified devices/software do not work with Allshare. However, Samsung TVs should work and Windows Media Player 12 as well as Samsung's PC Share Manager work in most cases.

2.Can I change the default homescreen of the Touchwiz Launcher?
    You cannot change the default Homescreen in the settings. However, if you are rooted, there is a way to change the default homescreen. See T&T#5 for more info.

(E) Recovery:
    1.WHAAAA! I think I bricked my phone. My flash was unsuccessful/My device boots to a black screen/similar scenarios. Can I still save my device?

1.WHAAAA! I think I bricked my phone. My flash was unsuccessful/My device boots to a black screen/similar scenarios. Can I still save my device?
    Most likely: YES! In almost any case, you should still be able to turn off the device (if necessary by removing the battery) and start into download-mode (VolumeDown+Home+Power) or recovery-mode (VolumeUp+Home+Power). After (for example) an unsuccessful flash, you can retry the flash in download-mode (same steps as when flashing a functioning device). If a flash to a functioning f/w (without applying any update.zip) doesn't help or you cannot get your PC to flash at all, you can ask for help here.
    If you see a symbol asking you to connect to the PC, depending on how you arrived at this point, it may be sufficient to connect to the PC and run Odin (i.e. press "start" when the phone is recognized) without adding any files. This may, however, leave some residual issues if (for example) had an incorrect/incomplete flash so you may want to do a normal flash after this!
    If you do not have download mode and for some ludicrous reason felt the need to go ahead and modify your firmware regardless of this lacking, there is now a guide on creating a home-made JIG which will force your device into download mode without the actual button combo here. Also pre-fabricated JIG dongles can be purchased on ebay for a couple of EUR/USD.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Changelog:
    [12th July] FAQ created.
    [12th July] Added Flash HOWTOs in Post#2
    [13th July] Added list of CustomROMs in FAQ#10
    [16th July] Added notification for US phone users
    [18th July] Added rooting to HOWTOs
    [18th July] Added ADB tutorial in Post#2
    [19th July] Moved ADB tutorial to Post#3
    [19th July] Added Tutorial/Fix section in Post#4
    [19th July] Added "Protected Apps Market Fix" in Post#4, Tutorial#1
    [24th July] Removed SIM-Unlocked as a requirement from flash HOWTO (Post#2, HOWTO#1).
    [24th July] Added Tags for categorizing the FAQ
    [26th July] Added Tip&Tricks section in Post#5
    [20th August] Added a ROM-Selection Guide in Post#6
    [30th August] Major Rework of the FAQ section
    [8th October] Added "Installing any official firmware using Kies" in Post#4, Tutorial#2
    [17th October '10] Added "Extracting Samsung Phone Drivers from Kies Installer" in Post#4, Tutorial#3
    [2nd March '11] Began Major Update
    [5th November '11] Updated to recent release of Android 2.3 and other changes
    [7th January '12] Some updates to reflect recent changes regarding software and Android 4.
    [6th April '12] More updates regarding Android 4.0 and some other updates.
    ADB Tutorial

ADB Tutorial

Many tutorials, fixes and mods are written assuming a basic knowledge of ADB. ADB is a command-line tool that is part of the Android Software Development Kit (a.k.a. Android SDK or ADK). This tutorial is aimed at getting you acquainted with the basic functions/workings of the ADB tool.

(Note: I do not currently use/have Linux installed. For now, this tutorial will be Windows-only. However, I suspect Linux users are versed in command-lines already and do not need a tutorial like this to open adb)

Requirements:
    -Android Software Development Kit (you do not need to run "SDK Setup.exe" to use ADB!)
    -Rooted Samsung Galaxy S
    -Busybox (installed from market and updated!)

Basic Setup:
    In order to use ADB you will first need to decompress the Android SDK. For simplicity, decompress the folder "android-sdk-windows" into the root of one of your partitions. (I am using the root folder of my D: partition for the purpose of this tutorial)
    You now need to start the Windows Command-Line tool "cmd". This differs per Windows version:
    XP: Go to the start menu and click "Run", type "cmd.exe" and confirm with "Run"
    Windows Vista/7: Go to the start menu, type "cmd.exe" and hit enter.
    You will now see a command-prompt open (I erased my username):

attachment.php

As stated before, my "android-sdk-windows" folder is located on my D: partition. You will now need to navigate to the "platform-tools" subfolder of the "android-sdk-windows" folder:

attachment.php

Before we go any further we will now have to complete some steps on our phone:
    -Make sure the phone is rooted (find the application "Superuser Permission")/has the latest version of busybox installed (Run "BusyBox installer" and make sure it says, that the latest version is installed). If not, root your phone according to the HOWTO in Post#2 and install busybox from the market (and follow the instructions in the description) respectively.
    -Put your phone in USB debugging mode: "Settings"->"Applications"->"Development" and check "USB debugging"
    -Close all other applications on your phone and go back to the TouchWiz Launcher Home Screen
    -Connect the phone to your PC

Now, we are ready to run ADB:

attachment.php

I hope this helps all those who were clueless so far on all the adb-based tutorials for fixes etc.
    Flash/Update Guides

!!!READ THE GUIDES AND NOTES COMPLETELY!!!

General Note:Flashing may refer to both methods. However, Method 2 requires files to already be on the phone. Therefore if you semi-bricked your phone, method 1 is usually the preferred way to fix it.

General Note 2: Flashing firmware and/or factory resets will WIPE your APN settings. Make sure you are using the right APN if that is a possible issue with your provider.

Important General Note: Several batches of phones that were sold have the download-mode button combo disabled (VolumeDown+Home+Power or alternatively Home+Power on some phones). Check if the download-mode combo works BEFORE flashing! Please refer to FAQ#A12 and T&T#23 for a fix for the download mode if it doesn't work on your phone!

HOW TO:

1.Flash Firmware and kernels using Odin.

Note: This will in (almost) all cases erase all your data and applications (includind root!). It will NOT touch the internal or external SD card.

Requirements:
    -Odin3 version 1.82 (Note: Odin should be on the system partition (the partition where windows is installed) to avoid possible issues)
    -".PIT" file for the Samsung Galaxy S (See FAQ#B9 or the source of the FW for the version to use! Not needed for kernel flashes.) .PIT files are usually not necessary anymore since the partition layout of the SGS hasn't changed since the end of 2010
    -USB cable
    -Desired firmware package or desired kernel package

Procedure:
    1.Open ODIN. (And close Kies, if you have it open. It is important to have ODIN open BEFORE connecting the phone via USB!)
    2.Select the PDA/Modem/CSC/.PIT files in Odin. (For kernel flashes, only PDA is required. For FW flashes, at least a PDA is required. Some PDAs have Modem and CSC integrated. If you decide to repartition, make sure you choose the right file, currently almost always the one with the ending 512.PIT)
    [Optional]3.Check the "Re-Partition" checkbox. (Only do this if you have separate packages for PDA, Modem and CSC AND you have a .PIT file selected! Don't do this for single PDA flashes or kernel flashes!)
    4.Turn the phone into the download mode by pressing and holding VolumeDown+Home+Power.
    5.Connect your phone with your computer and wait until the drivers are installed.
    6.When the drivers are installed, click Start.
    7.The phone will be flashed and once it’s finished, it will boot up. (Do NOT disconnect the usb-cable, remove the battery or otherwise interrupt this process!)
    8.You have successfully flashed your phone.

2.Update to CustomROMs/Mods/Root using .zip files

Note: Depending on the firmware you selected, this may or may not wipe your applications and the respective data. In any case, it will not touch your internal and external SDcards!

Requirements:
    -ADB (from the Android Software Development Kit) -- Optional
    -CustomROM File
    -USB-cable
    -2e recovery, Clockwork recovery (can be installed using HOWTO#1 and an appropriate kernel) (Note: 3e recovery will not allow the installation of .zip files that aren't signed by Samsung and is as such not usable for this procedure)

There are two methods for applying the update. Procedure A requires some basics in using a terminal (and ADB). Procedure B can be carried out by anybody but usually isn't available if the bootloader does not have download mode. See FAQ#A12 for more information on download mode using the button combo.
    Note: The recovery screen can be navigated using the Volume Up and Volume Down Buttons (Up and Down) and the Home Button (To Select)

Procedure A: (Requires ADB)
    1.Copy the CustomROM/root file to the "/sdcard/" folder on the phone and (if not already the case) rename to "update.zip"
    2.On the phone go to Settings->Applications->Development and check "USB debugging"
    3.Extract the Android SDK and navigate to the /tools/ subfolder of the SDK folder using cmd.exe.
    4.Run "adb reboot recovery" to enter recovery mode
    5.Wait for the recovery screen en select "apply: /sdcard/update.zip"
    6.Wait for it to finish and reboot.

Procedure B: (Does NOT require ADB)
    1.Copy the CustomROM/root file to the "/sdcard/" folder on the phone and (if not already the case) rename to "update.zip"
    2.Restart in Recovery Mode by pressing an holding VolumeUP+Home+Power.
    3.Wait for the recovery screen en select "apply: /sdcard/update.zip"
    4.Wait for it to finish and reboot.

If you encounter trouble with the ROM afterwards, enter recovery mode again and select "factory reset/wipe data/cache" and confirm before seeking help.
    Tutorial for Market Fix

Note: This section is strictly a work in progress and new tutorials will be added when they become available and have been confirmed as working!

Content:
    1.Market Protected Application Fix
    2.Installing any official firmware using Kies
    3.Extracting Samsung Phone Drivers from Kies Installer
    4.Backing up the /efs folder

Tutorials/Fixes:

1.Market Protected Applications Fix

Background: In order to prevent the illegal copying of copyrighted applications google has integrated what are called protected apps. These applications have some copying protection which means they cannot be backup-ed without root. In order to prevent rooted/modified phones from getting those applications, google market checks the build.prop file in the /system/ folder against a verified list to see if the version of your firmware is an official release. This tutorial will show you the steps to replacing the build.prop of the firmware you installed with that of a firmware that is verifiedand accepted by google.

Note: MoDaCo's r2 and the derivatives thereof have a fix included for this in the ROM (can be found in "MCR Scripts").

NOTE: As of now, "Eris Market Fix" from the android market seems to work on the SGS. It uses a similar procedure and should achieve identical results (for now). The app itself can be uninstalled after the fix is working.

Requirements:
    -Rooted Samsung Galaxy S
    -ADB (from the Android Software Development Kit)
    -build.prop from a recognized official firmware

Procedure:
    1.Download and extract "build.prop".
    2.Copy the "build.prop" to the root of your internal SD card (to the folder "/sdcard")
    3.Make sure the phone is rooted (find the application "Superuser Permission")/has the latest version of busybox installed (Run "BusyBox installer" and make sure it says, that the latest version is installed). If not, root your phone according to the HOWTO in Post#2 and install busybox from the market (and follow the instructions in the description) respectively.
    4.Run the following commands in ADB (for a tutorial on ADB, see Post#3):
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    busybox mv /sdcard/build.prop /system/build.prop
    reboot
    5.Wait for the phone to reboot. Check if can see protected apps (for example the paid version of tapatalk)
    6.If you cannot see protected apps, you may have to wait a while in order for market to recheck the build.prop. This process can be helped bu setting the system time (manually) to 23:59 (i.e. 11:59PM) and wait for it to pass the 0:00 (i.e. 12:00AM) mark. Then return the time to the correct time setting and reboot. (You may still need to wait a few minutes before you can actually see protected applications)
    7.If you still can't see protected applications, restart in recovery mode ("Volume Up"+"Home"+"Start") and wipe the cache of your phone. (You may still need to wait a few minutes before you can actually see protected applications)

For the interested, here a explanation of the code:
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    mount is the linux routine to mount a device to a specific path
    -o will allow you to issue several commands to the mount routine, separated by commas
    remount will unmount and then mount the filesystem again
    rw will cause the filesystem to be mounted with read/write permissions
    -t is the parameter used to define the filesystem
    yaffs2 is "yet another flash file system 2"
    /dev/block/mtdblock3 is the hardware-location of the system path
    /system is the path to which you want to remount the hardware location
    busybox mv /sdcard/build.prop /system/build.prop
    busybox causes the following commands to be executed by busybox instead of default android
    mv moves files from one location to another
    /sdcard/build.prop is the path to the file that is being moved
    /system/build.prop is the path where the file gets moved to

2.Installing any official firmware using Kies

Background: In August 2010 Samsung started (if only scarcely) to release official and test updates for the i9000 firmware. Since many users have flashed different firmware and the ways of backing up original product codes were not know at the time, most people who flashed their phones do not have the original settings from their country and/or provider and can thus not get the official updates for their area. Forthermore, some updates were only released in one or a few areas and people outside those areas wanted access. Consequently, Zangieff figured out a way to fake the phone information for Kies in order for it to find and install updates from a specific area. This is a slightly adapted version of his fix.

NOTE: There have been no firmware releases for some areas and providers through Kies. This fix is only able to upgrade to versions that have actually been released on Kies.

Requirements:
    -Samsung Galaxy S
    -Samsung Kies
    -Basic knowledge of regedit

Procedure:
    1.Run Kies, connect the phone and make sure it is properly recognized.
    1.1.If you have never before opened the firmware upgrade widget with your phone connected before, open it now and then close it again (Do NOT close Kies!)
    1.2.Optional: (Only do this if you are looking for experimental updates!)
    1.2a. Open the firmware upgrade widget in Kies
    1.2b. Press Ctrl+Alt+U+P simultaneously. Kies will confirm the correct sequence with "Test Mode is ON".
    1.2c. Close the firmware upgrade widget of Kies

2.Run regedit (Start-->Run...-->Type "regedit"-->Press Ok) (Windows XP)/(Start-->Type "regedit"-->Press Enter) (Windows Vista/7)
    3.Use regedit to navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Samsung/Kies/DeviceDB/". You will find a number of folders in numerical order (usually) starting from 1. Find the folder with the relevant keys (see below) and make sure it is the one currently in use. [If you find several folders with the keys and don't know which are the right ones, delete all of them, repeat step 1 and 1.1 and find the folder with the lowest value. (You may have to use F5 or View--->Refresh to get to see the new folders)]
    4.Find the registry keys "HIDSWVER" and "ProductCode"
    5.Replace them with the appropriate keys as needed for your desired upgrade.
    6.Open the upgrade widget in Kies and enjoy updating.

To find the appropriate values for HIDSWVER and ProductCode, check this thread for an extensive list of codes.

Note: If you close Kies, you will have to repeat the process.
    Note2: You can upgrade to the most recent official firmware version from any firmware version even if you already have the same version or a newer one installed

3.Extracting Samsung Phone Drivers from Kies Installer

Background: Not all users are interested in installing the full software package Kies in order to get to flash their phone via Odin or Heimdall. The Kies installer turns out to be extractable using 7-zip and the phone drivers have a separate installer. This allows for installing only the phone USB drivers and lets you avoid installing Kies and the included bloatware.

Requirements:
    -Samsung Kies installer package (found here)
    -7-zip (found here)

Procedure:
    1.Install 7-zip
    2.Right click the Kies installer and Find 7-zip->Extract to "Kies_x.x.x.xxxxx_xx\"
    3.Navigate to "Kies_x.x.x.xxxxx_xx-->CabFile-->USB Driver"
    4.Right click the "SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones.exe.cab" file and 7-zip->Extract to "SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones.exe\"
    5.Open the folder SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones.exe\ and execute SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones.exe and follow the installer instructions.
    6.Enjoy connecting your phone without the full Kies install.

4.Backing up the /efs folder

Background: Some experimental firmwares modify the /efs folder. This can cause IMEI corruption and/or change the product code your phone reports.

Requirements:
    -Rooted Phone
    Either (A):
    -ADB (from the Android Software Development Kit)
    Or (B):
    -Root Explorer (from market)

Procedure:
    1.Make sure your phone is rooted (and busybox is installed for ADB procedure)

A:
    1A.Enable USB debugging mode (Settings-->Application-->Development-->USB debugging)
    2A.Connect the phone to USB
    3A.Open a command prompt and enter adb (see tutorial)
    4A.Acquire root privileges (type "su"). (Make sure you accept the root-prompt on the phone)
    5A.Execute "busybox cp -a /efs /sdcard/"
    6A.Disconnect the phone, deactivate USB debugging, reconnect the phone and backup the copy of the efs folder to your PC

B:
    1B.Use root explorer and navigate to the root of the filesystem /
    2B.Press "Mount R/W"
    3B.Copy the efs folder to your sdcard
    4B.Connect the phone to the PC and backup the copy of the efs folder to your PC.

2. Restore the backup if your IMEI gets corrupted or your product code is changed by a firmware.
    Tips&Tricks

Handy Tip&Tricks
    by Forum Members

This is for all Samsung Galaxy S users (GT-i9000 only. Some might work on US versions). It is a collection of handy tutorials that were posted in the development section but that do not need to be on the first page constantly.
    Note: These links are provided as-is and most are untested by me! All credit for the procedure goes to the respecitve poster/involved parties.

1. Changing Fonts (for free) by socket84
    2. Replacing Samsung Media Player with Android default by aditya_t90
    3. Generating TUN.KO for OpenVPN on SGS by newmail
    4. Replacing TouchWiz calendar with Android default by tommy34
    5. Setting default homescreen in TouchWiz launcher by socket84 or the derived SGS Screen Changer by pedrodh
    6. Installing Samsung Phone drivers WITHOUT Kies
    7. OneClick Lagfix by RyanZA
    8. CFLagFix by Chainfire
    9. LagFix using update.zip by Tayutama
    10. SuperOneClick Root by CLShortFuse
    11. Headphone SoundQuality Fix or MixGet from Market by gilsken
    12. AMOLED Screen for Notifications App by madmack
    13. Using LED-Button Backlights for notifications by neldar
    14. Comparing Firmwares on Packages by GAda
    15. Stopping automatic media scan & scan on demand by aditya_t90
    16. Overclocking/UnderVoltaging the CPU by raspdeep
    17. Creating FlipFont APKs by ritalin
    18. Circle Battery Indicator Mod by Fightspit (ported to SGS by designgears)
    19. Official Firmware Update without running Kies by miki4242
    20. Unlocking/Unfreezing Samsung Galaxy S for Free (collaboration, see thread for credits)
    21. Choosing between GlassLock and Android's stock lock screen by Ateisti or Android Stock Lockscreen for JM8,JPH,JPK,JM9,JPM,JPA,JP6 by Project1.exe
    22. Flashing under Linux and MacOS X using Heimdall by Benjamin Dobell
    23. Restoring the three button recovery/download combo by Richthofen
    24. ADB filesystem plugin for Total Commander by sztupy
    25. Enabling Landscape Mode in TouchWiz Launcher by scheichuwe