4.4 KitKat should be coming for the 10.1 soon, news from Samsung.

Search This thread

sciurius

Nov 13, 2011
johan.vromans.org
Well, given that almost all Androids are in serious danger of getting infected (see Megasploit) and that the patch has been available for months now... I'd say this is not a minute too soon.

stubbe

Mar 9, 2007
Watching couple of youtubes on KitKat running on Note/Tab devices, seems that there aren't much significant changes.

In fact, they added more bloatware, Windows-like magazine view to the homescreen and some new mini mode/multi window tray I didn't use much.

Apart from bugfixes, I'm not too excited for this. Still, quite happy that Samsung didn't abandon the 2012 version owners. Seems that 2014 version is a flop. The only thing that apparently new is the MicroUSB connector (compared to the proprietary connector on the 2012 version) and much higher display resolution and that's just about it.

They should've just use MicroUSB all along.

Also, Samsung need to learn about creating UI for their devices. After experiencing CyanogenMod, TouchWiz is kinda lame. It's like they're confused on how things should be done (like launching an app), so they just decide to throw everything in. I'm surprised how good stock android launcher was. And all these times I thought TouchWiz WAS how default android behave.

I only own one android device, as for phone I use iOS. Apple obviously have more clever, more simple approach in designing their UIs, even compared to stock Android.

kcrudup

Mar 27, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
Since they leave it to the carriers, I wonder what that says about the wifi only units (8013) which depend on SAMSUNG as there is no carrier.
You should be first, for that very reason. As far as the 3G model, I've been switching between various carriers' releases (German, Portugese, Polish, Korean) at will so whomever releases theirs first is the one I'll go with.

MoNsTeRmUk

Jan 24, 2012
It seems like we are getting the update too soon
they have updated many phones that their servers couldn't handle it

Airtioteclint

Nov 20, 2012
I'm not too excited. My note plays flash. My s4 does not. It has ge edition kitkat and yes i do know how to sideload. Its sideloaded on my note. :)

ilostmypistons

Jan 25, 2011
McHenry Il
I'm not too excited. My note plays flash. My s4 does not. It has ge edition kitkat and yes i do know how to sideload. Its sideloaded on my note. :)

I'm using a hacked flash for KitKat on my Nexus 5. It works fantastic with dolfin. You can find it in the Q and A section for N5 if you want to try it. I'm positive it will work on your GE S4

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: Airtioteclint

Edris89

Dec 18, 2011
I only own one android device, as for phone I use iOS. Apple obviously have more clever, more simple approach in designing their UIs, even compared to stock Android.

well thats only an opinion. personaly i cant stand iOS

anyway kitKat looks great, I just hope that the multi window stays the same as it is now

stubbe

Mar 9, 2007
well thats only an opinion. personaly i cant stand iOS

Yes. It's just my opinion.

Both have its advantages. For example, I just recently root my Note, and love how I can customize to its very core by simple steps. I love simplicity, so I strip down everything. But somehow most people, specially non-techie and enthusiast won't be able to do this.

However I can't imagine getting my hands on one of android cellphone, I'll probably bricked the first time I know how to root. I just need something that simply works for a phone. I can see why apple did such restrictions on their devices, I almost (probably already bricked) my note, since it's going in loop within the boot screen somewhere when I learned how to root.

Also, seems that android hardware vendors are kind of excited experimenting in their devices. Much like Nokia back then. There're way too many of them, hence even for an update like this, they seem to have difficulties doing the update on all their devices at once. I see now there're at least 4 different type of Galaxy Note currently (note 10.1, note 8, note 3, note Pro) and 3 S series (S4, S Mini and S4 Zoom) each released within less than a year. I understand this is to reach wider market, but still, it would only resulting in "rushed then abandoned" feels to their products.

While apple only release mostly 2 sets of major devices, and probably 2 variants of those devices (5C and 5S, iPad and iPad Mini). This is where apple is smarter than Samsung or any other Android manufacturers.

However, I cannot see myself using iPad for tablets. Since it behaving too much like iPhone. Just one thing that prevented me from iPad is that each app need to have their local files, and when one app need to communicate with other, it duplicate the file for that particular app, instead of having single file and being able to open it by the app of your choice. I see tablets as notebook replacements. Well, tablet is what netbook is evolving into IMO.

Airtioteclint

Nov 20, 2012
I'm using a hacked flash for KitKat on my Nexus 5. It works fantastic with dolfin. You can find it in the Q and A section for N5 if you want to try it. I'm positive it will work on your GE S4

Thanks will give it a try! :good:

Edit: worked perfectly :)

Last edited:

rausuar

Jan 9, 2014
Eager to see kitkat in note 10.1

I'm eager to see what will bring Android Kit Kat for the Note 10.1, I do think that the memory management and GPU results will be improved, of course I hope the battery can last longer. the Spen is another story, can't wait to see the changes.

relic

Aug 15, 2006
From what i read from the polish source, the note 10.1 will upgrade to 4.2 then to 4.4. Anyone Polish can confirm?

navidnouri

May 18, 2010
Availability varies by carrier and product, with updates beginning today and continuing throughout the coming months
continuing throughout the coming months
throughout the coming months
coming months
coming months
months
months

d4rkkn16ht

Mar 19, 2008
Bandung
www.youtube.com

Firefox 27 for android + Hacked Flash is also working for KK

Reactions: banderos101

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://www.samsungmobileuspress.com...firms-KitKat-for-U.S.-Smartphones-and-Tablets
    Samsung Galaxy U.S. devices currently scheduled to receive the KitKat update include select carrier variants of the Galaxy Note®*3, Galaxy Note®*II, Galaxy S®*4, Galaxy S®*4 mini™, Galaxy S®*4 Active™, Galaxy S®*4 zoom™, Galaxy S®*III, Galaxy S®*III mini™, Galaxy Mega®, Galaxy Light, Galaxy Note®*8.0, Galaxy Tab®*3, Galaxy Note®*10.1, Galaxy Note®10.1 2014 Edition.

Availability varies by carrier and product, with updates beginning today and continuing throughout the coming months.*

On Topic

Can we go back to Complaining about Samsung and NO Update for the note 10.1 2012 tablet. That is what this Forum/Thread is about...

But as far as doing productive work on Android.I Do this all the time. I use Office suit 7 and S- NOTE. TO put together Estimates and Budgets for Construction Projects on a Daily Bases . The S-pen Makes this very possible.And now there is a FULL Blown MS Office.. Word EXCEL and Power point (in beta) That seems very promising...

Anyway...... I love my note with or without Samsung support. I am just sad that no other Android Manufacturer Has made a Device so productive.. Imagine the INKING Apps we would get if Google would make a nexus inking type Device such as our note...
    now that would be something to get EXCITED About here on this Android NOTE 10.1 forum.
    Thanks for reading my Opinion. Nope mine is no better anyone else ITS just mine
    Well, I feel that they definitely need help, if people in a support center dont even read the news about their own company. And yes you are right about customer services. Most of them are really bad and mostly being just a firewall between the real customer service and this "so called service" but atleast when the customer service is called as a support service, they should give a support instead of vague answers. If they dont know, then they ask about it from people who know. I worked "above" the customer service once and if the customer service didnt know the answer, they called us and we gave the answer or if even we didnt know it, someone figured it out and called back to the customer or sent an email. And it was also a big company not a small one, a big operator, getting thousends of calls on everyday but still the customer didnt get a vague answer back. And in this case, I bet, these updates are very popular questions for support services so propaply they should keep better track about updates and read inside news. As working once on the same sector, I feel that they should do much better. Otherwise this so called "support service" would be a synonym for a joke...

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 (N8000).

Oh.. don't get me wrong - I agree with you that this is what they *should* be like. It's what any customer facing support person should either BE like, or they should have a way to escalate you to a person who does know what the answer is if they can't answer the question.

Unfortunately, that's not how it is.

Trust me, after years of shouting at customer service peons, I realise that it's futile because I'm playing to the company's game. Those poor souls are there primarily as cannon fodder.

I wish I knew a way to get past them to the real people in charge - but of course, this is why they're there - to stop people like me. :)

For yocks - call UPS' customer support and ask why they *have* to try to deliver a package to your home even if you're calling them to have it diverted to a pick up location because you work during the day and there's no one to receive it. The right answer is "Because we still have to leave a note on your door to let the resident know we did this - in case you're not who you claim you are." The answer you'll get is "Because we have to verify your address," which is patently silly. Both answers though are rendered less than acceptable because FedEx doesn't have this policy... because they hold the package at their facility, not at a local store. When you point this out - you can hear their eyes glaze over. :)
    Availability varies by carrier and product, with updates beginning today and continuing throughout the coming months
    continuing throughout the coming months
    throughout the coming months
    coming months
    coming months
    months
    months