[Q] LINK2SD Broke efs on my SM-G900H

Search This thread

bjaguar33

May 1, 2014
A- I recently installed Link2SD on My rooted Galaxy S5 (SM-G900H) and everything seemed ok. The app asked me to reboot my phone, when I did my phone stuck on the SAMSUNG Logo screen and FACTORY RESET/Wipe data didn't work. I even tried emergency recovery with no luck (Error mounting efs). I fixed the efs issue and I re-installed the stock ROM and re-Rooted my device.
I didn't re-install Link2SD anymore because I'm afraid it may break my phone.

1- What is the maximum size of the ext2 partition?
2- Does it work on SM-G900H without issues?

B- Despite what they say about Kitkat and that you cannot move your apps to SD card, I have the option on my phone to move (movable apps) to SD card and that's good enough for me. I purchased a SANDISK Extreme plus 64 GB SD card (Which is formatted in exFAT by default). When I move apps to SD and reboot my phone, all the apps on SD disappear and my phone starts acting weird and apps crashes. Maybe it's because of exFAT but I'm sure the SD card is fine and not broken. That's why I wanted to try Link2SD and see it it solves the problem.

Have anyone faced theses issues? Anyone know a solution for these problems? I appreciate any help.

Last edited:

alex_tytn

Jul 31, 2008
Bump... Me too!

A- I recently installed Link2SD on My rooted Galaxy S5 (SM-G900H) and everything seemed ok. The app asked me to reboot my phone, when I did my phone stuck on the SAMSUNG Logo screen and FACTORY RESET/Wipe data didn't work. I even tried emergency recovery with no luck (Error mounting efs). I fixed the efs issue and I re-installed the stock ROM and re-Rooted my device.
I didn't re-install Link2SD anymore because I'm afraid it may break my phone.

1- What is the maximum size of the ext2 partition?
2- Does it work on SM-G900H without issues?

B- Despite what they say about Kitkat and that you cannot move your apps to SD card, I have the option on my phone to move (movable apps) to SD card and that's good enough for me. I purchased a SANDISK Extreme plus 64 GB SD card (Which is formatted in exFAT by default). When I move apps to SD and reboot my phone, all the apps on SD disappear and my phone starts acting weird and apps crashes. Maybe it's because of exFAT but I'm sure the SD card is fine and not broken. That's why I wanted to try Link2SD and see it it solves the problem.

Have anyone faced theses issues? Anyone know a solution for these problems? I appreciate any help.

Yes, I am having a very similar problem and I also have the 64GB SanDisk Extreme and SM-G900H and rooted.

Did you ever find a resolution?

My extSD seems to come and go. The last time I uninstalled the last 2 apps and it was good for 24 hours. Put I just pulled it off the charger and it started acting up again.

I cleaned the contacts, chkdsk'd it on my PC (everything reads fine) and rebooted a few times but no luck.

This post had some good recommendations but cleaning contacts, etc. didn't help me.

I was going to try an OTA update but it seems that I need to un-root first. That's my next step -- starting over. :rolleyes:

bjaguar33

May 1, 2014
Try FAT32

Yes, I am having a very similar problem and I also have the 64GB SanDisk Extreme and SM-G900H and rooted.

Did you ever find a resolution?

My extSD seems to come and go. The last time I uninstalled the last 2 apps and it was good for 24 hours. Put I just pulled it off the charger and it started acting up again.

I cleaned the contacts, chkdsk'd it on my PC (everything reads fine) and rebooted a few times but no luck.

This post had some good recommendations but cleaning contacts, etc. didn't help me.

I was going to try an OTA update but it seems that I need to un-root first. That's my next step -- starting over. :rolleyes:

You SD card is formatted with exFAT? Try formatting it with FAT32. I didn't try it yet because I can't use my phone since my EFS partitions are gone and my IMEI code changed to 004999.... (Generic IMEI code).

Let me know if this solves your problem.:angel:

alex_tytn

Jul 31, 2008
You SD card is formatted with exFAT? Try formatting it with FAT32. I didn't try it yet because I can't use my phone since my EFS partitions are gone and my IMEI code changed to 004999.... (Generic IMEI code).

Let me know if this solves your problem.:angel:

64GB will for sure need to be exFat -- FAT32 can't access all the space.

This is a good utility to reformat and fix it OR you can use the cmd level commands.

For me, I am able to use it intermittently now -- seems like it will work for hours, even days, then have a problem when I pull it off the charger. Of course, I woke up this morning and it wasn't working AGAIN.

I am on the phone now with Samsung tech support to see if there is a log somewhere that can give me more information about what is exactly failing. I did use this same card in 2 other Galaxy S5's (AT&T and T-Mobile versions) with no problem. Maybe I ruined the card when I had it in my wallet?

alex_tytn

Jul 31, 2008
FAT32 - I was wrong.

64GB will for sure need to be exFat -- FAT32 can't access all the space.

I was wrong. FAT32 CAN access all the space. I reformatted with FAT32 using the fat32format program and still have the same problems.

Furthermore, it happens with and without root -- I've reflashed a million times now.

At this point, I think that I just got a bad card reader in my unit because the card went off just by tilting the phone sideways last night (clean install, no root, no apps).

Good luck to the original poster.