[Q] Dual-booted TF101 optimised for work.

Search This thread

themac

Aug 16, 2008
Ok, but something without accelerated Video and Audio driver is definitely not something i'd want to use everyday for work or even for study.

It's just my opinion and i really respect yours :)

To be honest, i'd pay some money to have a fully working *nix flavour on my Tf101.

And as today, the only one available is Android :)

TheMac

bcd234

Apr 15, 2012
n
Libreoffice works on mine (tested) and dualboot is so much faster than the chroot vnc method. I'll primarily be using it for the GIMP and for Ardour 2. (hopefully getting drivers working so I can record on the go)
Anything that works on ARM works on this, so go ahead and give whatever you need a go, most works.

I know I'm a total ubuntu newb, but I can't figure out how to increase the space available on Ubuntu (might be ok once my 32gb sdcard comes in the mail), and I've followed instructions pasting directly into the Ubuntu terminal, but can't seem to install Libreoffice..

Is the process of installing libreoffice any different when you've flashed Ubuntu on a TF101? Is there a website you've found that provides instructions which work?

I haven't figured out how to install ANYTHING on flashed ubuntu... Even when using the terminal instructions.

bcd234

Apr 15, 2012
d
Ok, but something without accelerated Video and Audio driver is definitely not something i'd want to use everyday for work or even for study.

It's just my opinion and i really respect yours :)

To be honest, i'd pay some money to have a fully working *nix flavour on my Tf101.

And as today, the only one available is Android :)

TheMac

Well think about what I'm using my TF101 for....
I need it to read .pdfs, for light internet browsing (ie. finding sources), for full-suite office applications (ie. working on essays), and for communication (emaill) purposes. I also need something with a good battery life

I could have paid 200-300 for a netbook with crap specs, and maybe 6hrs of battery, and crap resolution., and crap storage

I could have paid a MINIMUM of $800 for an ultrabook with only 6 hours battery and no touch interface...

Instead I chose to buy a tablet which can run full-office when booted with ubuntu, has a battery life of 16 HOURS, and cost $400.
As a bonus I can use it as a tablet in Android to read pdfs, work while standing up, review my work for the day while in bed (etc)
I will have 64gb of storage on the tablet alone (premium ultrabooks have only 128gb SSD) and I will be able to connect 2 flash USB sticks or a HDD for anything else.

I think I made an excellent choice (provided libreoffice works!).

themac

Aug 16, 2008
bcd234 : i'm not talking about the tf101 choice. You spent your money well, no doubt !
I have one too, and i also like it .
I do read pdfs, and do web surfing, or even develop apps (i just installed AIDE app, check it out, it's awesome).
I'm only doubtful about the ubuntu choice that, at the time of writing is not, in my humble opinion a real alternative over Android.
So, i'd rather using some app that could be like the ubuntu ones you are using (Photoshop Touch versus TheGimp, PolarisOffice versus LibreOffice and much more, the Android world is full of apps!).

Just to be clear : They are not fully comparable, it's obvious, nor i want to make you change your mind . If you are happy with Ubuntu, with the limitations it has on TF101 (but be prepared about battery usage : it's not 16h) i'm happy too.

:)

TheMac

Reactions: bcd234

bcd234

Apr 15, 2012
bcd234 : i'm not talking about the tf101 choice. You spent your money well, no doubt !
I have one too, and i also like it .
I do read pdfs, and do web surfing, or even develop apps (i just installed AIDE app, check it out, it's awesome).
I'm only doubtful about the ubuntu choice that, at the time of writing is not, in my humble opinion a real alternative over Android.
So, i'd rather using some app that could be like the ubuntu ones you are using (Photoshop Touch versus TheGimp, PolarisOffice versus LibreOffice and much more, the Android world is full of apps!).

Just to be clear : They are not fully comparable, it's obvious, nor i want to make you change your mind . If you are happy with Ubuntu, with the limitations it has on TF101 (but be prepared about battery usage : it's not 16h) i'm happy too.

:)

TheMac

I see your point, but for me it's not an either/or decision as far as Ubuntu/android go.

As I said earlier I NEED a full office suite. Polaris just doesn't have the features I need. If I can get access to a full office suite Ubuntu is something I'd happily deal with.

Case in point: I left home at about 9:30am today and got home after 12am.. spent at least 2 hours on public transport.

Used the TF101 for over 10 hours. Still on 30% charge.

Even if I had 3 times as much cash to get an ultra book, I'd be out of action as soon as I strayed from a power point!

If android ever has a full office suite (including footnote CREATION) I'll happily boot Android exclusively.

Edit: just to be clear, the only thing I really need that isn't on ICS is a full office suite. ICS is actually AWESOME from what I've experienced so far :)

Last edited:

Goatshocker

Oct 23, 2010
This is probably out of question since it requires internet connection but, have you looked into xlive's desktop service?

bcd234

Apr 15, 2012
I just download and install through ubuntu and works fine, what trouble are you having sofar?

A couple of problems;

the first is that there is no space on ubuntu to do anything. It becomes dangerously slow because I have about 100mb free on the image.

I bought a microsd card and tried to loopmount it from the sd so I'd have more room, but the instructions failed when I needed to type:
dd if=/sdcard/ubuntu.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk1p1 into terminal when following instructions here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1537566

Libreoffice is installed (can't seem to uninstall) but I can't install any packages AFAIK (I need writer). The fact that I can't resize ubuntu.img makes it even harder to figure out how to do a proper full install!

bcd234

Apr 15, 2012
If I wanted to set up the ubuntu loopmounted image again, how would I go about deleting the old one?

When I copied over an older version of the ubuntu.img, nothing actually changed! How do I remove it so I can reinstall?

Thing O Doom

Mar 10, 2012
Phoenix
"dd if=/dev/zero bs=Your Size Here Example:'4G' for 4 Gigs count=1 >> ubuntu.img
e2fsck -f ubuntu.img
resize2fs ubuntu.img"

Also, it's wherever you placed it in /sdcard/ Look around for a .img file in filemanager or root file browser (both in android OS) and just check and delete.

Edit: Also, Make Sure the microSD is at least a class 6 (preferably class 8+) or will be rlly slow

bcd234

Apr 15, 2012
"dd if=/dev/zero bs=Your Size Here Example:'4G' for 4 Gigs count=1 >> ubuntu.img
e2fsck -f ubuntu.img
resize2fs ubuntu.img"

Also, it's wherever you placed it in /sdcard/ Look around for a .img file in filemanager or root file browser (both in android OS) and just check and delete.

Edit: Also, Make Sure the microSD is at least a class 6 (preferably class 8+) or will be rlly slow
I encountered these commands. So <your size here> is supposed to be the actual size of my SD or how much space I want for Ubuntu?

Do these terminal commands apply to a loopmounted image, or an image mounted on an SD.

I have a 32gb miroSD which isn't particularly fast. I'd like to create a 10gb partition on /internal storage/ for ubuntu and have the re 22gb left over for Android.

I will then use the 32gb microSD as storage for both operating systems, the only problem is that I already have a loopmounted image on /internal storage/ which is much too small for Ubuntu to run!

Thing O Doom

Mar 10, 2012
Phoenix
Your size here is the size you want for Ubuntu. I run just fine with 8Gigs on my flash drive Ubuntu and havn't used more than 16 on my desktop.
Partitioning isn't necessary xD just make a folder and pop the Image in it :D
You have plentyyyyyy of storage for android too, even when I was bogged down with 30 or so full 3d apps and several hundred others I barely filled my 16GB internal storage.

Thing O Doom

Mar 10, 2012
Phoenix
Well I guess not the apps I picked xD I had all of those GLU mobile 3d apps. Contract killer, blood and gory, etc.
The problem with those is they want to run all the time x.x

bcd234

Apr 15, 2012
I think I double-loopmounted on /internal storage/ because I have about 6gb that are mysteriously missing!! Available neither to Ubuntu, nor Android.

Also Ubuntu is hella slow and libreoffice kinda sucks... sigh.

Thing O Doom

Mar 10, 2012
Phoenix
Try wiping and resetting again, backing up anything important. Flash a fresh rom and kernel and overclock a bit. This might speed up, if you don't like Libreoffice you could try a really old version of ms word in the Adosbox app, (run ms dos applications in android) since the stuff is really old its quick, works with any DOS based (x16bit) programs.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Let me try to address these one at a time to help you out with your purchase, also glad to see you pick the TF :D It's a wonderful tablet.
    "This is covered by a 12-Month warranty." - If you install Ubuntu, root or otherwise, it will almost Surely void this warranty, so be careful as it is refurbished, inspect carefully and make sure it isn't a lemon (bad tablet).

"the lack of any android app which allows for footnoting is unforgivable" - Quickoffice seems to support this, although it is $20 -- link.

1. A bootable USB stick setup on windows WILL NOT work on the tf, you must use the Android Debug Bridge to install it on the tf. Instructions in link below.

2. It works, but not like desktop ubuntu, as the ARM processor doesn't support 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit applications. So WINE WILL NOT work, AT ALL.
    Read what will and will not work here.

3. This is heavily dependant on the version of your tablet, older (b60 or lower) devices have sbkv1 and therefore support NVFlash, which means you can always (unless you.. microwaved your tablet or something..) restore a brick. If you have a newer (most b70s and all b80s and up) sbkv2 tablet like mine, it will not work. If you follow instructions carefully when messing with your device though it's pretty hard to COMPLETELY brick it, although all user data can be at risk.
    NOTE! If you have a tablet with sbkv2 you Can Not install Ubuntu on it with the installer. I won't say At All, as there is probably a way, but it would be very hard.

4. You would probably want to update to ICS first, Asus provides this update through ota updates pushed to the transformer or off of their website. It is a smoother experience. Or you could root and flash a custom ROM, (even smoother! :p) Also see #5

5. If you want to overclock to 1.4 Ghz you Must Root and flash a custom rom and Kernel (important) that supports overclocking, and may not be able to use ubuntu at the same time as it seems to overwrite the recovery slot (correct me if I'm wrong someone). It does affect battery life by a noticeable amount, (roughly 20% would be my guess) and you really shouldn't need to OC if you're just word processing though. The tf is a pretty fast tablet xD I overclock mine to 1.2 for general use and gaming.

6. Searched, and not that I could find, sorry :/

7. Yes, flash a custom Rom and Kernel, there are many to choose from! :D The ones I use work great and are in my signature. ARHD Rom and TastyMehIcs kernel. It's all up too you though.

In conclusion I think you would be better off using android as the Ubuntu is pretty limited, quickoffice should be fine. Go ahead and optimize it though, and if you have a sbkv1 tablet you can try it out!
    ToD

Edit: You could also look into remote desktop to computer to word process, but that would lock you to your 3g wifi speed and be non-native. -shrugs- Splashtop HD is pretty fast on a home n+ wifi network.
    Alright, I'll look into it more as to getting Ubuntu on a sbkv2, as I'd want to do it too, but for now, assume no as I've looked into it before and no cigar.. I believe there is a chroot method but that is slow buggy non-native etc so it's probably not what you're looking for. Using desktop view in Dolphin Browser HD is actually about the same as pc browsing, just tested on google docs. Or you could always type out your docs on the tablet then get on a pc/desktop view and add footnotes later. (roundabout, I know x.x)
    Rooting the sbkv2 and romming is easy, but sadly Nvflash doesn't work at all till ASUS unlocks the bootloader or someone cracks it.

"I'm not really a fan of "apps" on mobile devices. I find that they are generally very limiting: they use too much processing power for what they are, they often have an unreasonable price-tag/bloatware, and they are designed for small mobile devices, so the interface lacks functionality. "
    The way android works helps to manage processing power very well, so you shouldn't be worried about a smooth experience if you root rom and optimize. As for the design most major apps have an HD version specifically for tablets, and many are free (if you can get past ads or use a blocker :p) Any other questions/concerns?
    Just an F.Y.I it is possible to install Ubuntu on an SBK2 device followinf the instructions in this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1537566

As for the speed of it, it is not great(I did the mount-loop install on the internal storage which is at least faster than installing on an sdcard). I havn't tried overclocking yet to see if that helpls. Also a number of things do not work at all/ need some tweaking to work.
    As I pointed out previously it doesn't matter if you have an sbkv2 device as far as installing Ubuntu is concerned.

Just follow the instructions here after rooting the device.

It is not perfect though, there are a few bugs and as far as I know no one has got hardware graphical acceleration working yet so you can't watch videos. I think sound isn't working yet either.

Also don't expect the same programs you would find in windows or even linux normally as many programs have yet to be ported to arm based linux.
    Nairby,

You didn't mention how to root an SKBv2. Would you use the Universal root toolkit 7.1 found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1185104 ?

I can't remember who made it but I used the attached script to root my device.

Apparently I should read the zip name. This method worked with ics.

Found the original post with the script here.