Who's getting a Surface Pro. I know I am this Saturday.

Search This thread
Like the title says, who's getting a surface pro. While the idea of the i5 with fans makes me nervous after having a Samsung series 7 slate upgraded to win 8, simply the Surface Pro is too sexy to pass up. Just wondering who was ponying up the dough this weekend. :p

tonyz3

Like the title says, who's getting a surface pro. While the idea of the i5 with fans makes me nervous after having a Samsung series 7 slate upgraded to win 8, simply the Surface Pro is too sexy to pass up. Just wondering who was ponying up the dough this weekend. :p

Got mine reserved at MS store- 128gb. Also looking at the Dell 29 in widescreen monitor for extra display. Been a long time coming.

ajamils

Sep 10, 2010
Houston, TX
When it was originally announced, I was planning to get it on release day but since I got Acer W700, I have no interest in it anymore. Also, the somewhat remaining interest vanished after I read the initial review from Gizmodo, Engadget and others. This thing has HORRIBLE battery life. I get 7 hours plus on W700 easily and it has similar configuration as Surface Pro.

Macmee

Jul 13, 2009
Halifax
Why would anyone want a portable device with such bad battery life. Doesn't sound very "portable".....

eknutson

Jan 26, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
Why would anyone want a portable device with such bad battery life. Doesn't sound very "portable".....

Well, since this is a role call for people buying on Saturday and not for people who are not...

Mine is reserved for Saturday, after a lot of weighing options, playing with demo units and comparing other products. Also taken into consideration is timing and what lies ahead. This is just one purchase along the way in a life that is filled with them, especially technology and devices.

Everything is a compromise. Admittedly, longer battery life would be nice, but not if it increases the size / weight or reduces other functions.

For me the portability is just fine (as a Tablet) - I never have meetings that go longer than a couple of hours and then I'm back at my desk. I'm never on the couch / in bed reading for more than a couple of hours, and then I can plug it in.

The other functions I need the "portability" for (as a PC) are fine using the Surface plugged in. In fact, plugged in is preferable since I'll want full-power. I need to be working at a physically different location. The key here is working, so plugged in and powered up and crunching hard.

This device is right for me at this time, I'm sure in a year or two I'll be replacing it.

oupavoc

Oct 18, 2011
Ontario
tbh im probably going to wait for the asus transformer book! Would love a Surface pro with a bigger storage space and dock with a battery at least.

ungeeked

Jun 12, 2012
Delhi-NCR

On a different note I would really love to see the battery performance of Surface pro after disabling Turbo boost
My i7 laptop gives 3+ hours of battery life using the same method. It can barely last two hours with TB on
I dont find any lags or slowdown except while converting videos. But then you can switch Turbo on with just on click :D

3devious

Nov 6, 2010
I am picking one up tomorrow. I primarily look forward to being able to use some of the Silverlight based apps that we have going on around at work as well as that great pen interface with OneNote. Styluses on almost every tablet that doesn't use a WACOM based stylus has left me wanting. My wallet will be feeling the burn but this is what I wanted in the first place.

Sent from my Xoom using xda premium

anduios

Sep 16, 2011
On a different note I would really love to see the battery performance of Surface pro after disabling Turbo boost
My i7 laptop gives 3+ hours of battery life using the same method. It can barely last two hours with TB on
I dont find any lags or slowdown except while converting videos. But then you can switch Turbo on with just on click :D

Can you tell us how do you disable turbo boost? Thanks a lot.

ungeeked

Jun 12, 2012
Delhi-NCR
Go to Control Panel > Power Options

Create a new Power Plan. Name it acc to your choice

Then select this new plan > Change Plan settings > change advanced plan settings > Processor power management

Change MAXIMUM Processor state (not minimum) according to your need (explained below)

Changing to 99% disables Turbo boost
Changing to lower percentage like 90 or 80 lowers CPU frequency as well as voltage.

You can choose to keep 100% when plugged in and 90% on battery Then vary it according to your needs.

This method undervolts and underclocks your processor. It uses Intel Enhanced SpeedStep technology to do so

Reactions: anduios

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Go to Control Panel > Power Options

Create a new Power Plan. Name it acc to your choice

Then select this new plan > Change Plan settings > change advanced plan settings > Processor power management

Change MAXIMUM Processor state (not minimum) according to your need (explained below)

Changing to 99% disables Turbo boost
    Changing to lower percentage like 90 or 80 lowers CPU frequency as well as voltage.

You can choose to keep 100% when plugged in and 90% on battery Then vary it according to your needs.

This method undervolts and underclocks your processor. It uses Intel Enhanced SpeedStep technology to do so