[Q] Ongoing Bluetooth Headset outgoing voice quality issues - recommended ROM?

Search This thread

AustinML71

Dec 10, 2012
I am currently having outgoing voice quality issues while using a bluetooth headset (or in car/truck bluetooth) that I am trying to nail down with both HTC and Jawbone. I'm 90% sure at this point it's an HTC issue. I purchased an HTC One M8 on Verizon a week or so ago and immediately had issues with my Jawbone ERA. Voices sounded fine on my end but my voice on the other end sounded static-ey and overly loud - almost like the mic was too hot. I tried a ton of troubleshooting steps with both Jawbone and HTC and so far the issue remains. I also took the phone back and exchanged it for a new one and the new phone has the same issue. I've now tried 5 different bluetooth devices all with the same/similar result.

I found an old HTC One (M7 I think?) thread over on Android Central that seemed to be discussing the same issue:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one/309574-anyone-else-having-bluetooth-headset-sound-quality-issues-one.html
but no solution was found and it sounds like most people there just sort of gave up.

Sorry for the long explanation but one thing I wanted to try was using a ROM with a different bluetooth stack or system to see if that might point me to an HTC software issue vs a strict hardware issue. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm fairly comfortable with installing ROMs though on my old Droid, Safestrap certainly made it easier for me.

Thanks!

wtoj34

Jan 28, 2012
San Antonio, TX
I had a ridiculous static with my jaybirds so I just ended up returning the headphones and ditching Bluetooth sadly. I don't think a ROM will change it

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

AustinML71

Dec 10, 2012
So there's no difference in bluetooth implementations between a Sense based ROM and say an AOSP or CM based ROM?

AustinML71

Dec 10, 2012
So there's no difference in bluetooth implementations between a Sense based ROM and say an AOSP or CM based ROM?

Well, out of curiosity I s-off'd the phone, perma-rooted, and flashed TWRP. I installed the GPE ROM, the Viper ROM, and the latest nightly of Cyanogenmod. Interestingly, the CM rom seemed to have MUCH improved outgoing bluetooth voice quality. The other ROMs all had the same issue.

Does CM somehow use a different bluetooth stack or something that would cause this? Honestly, I'd stay on the CM but I actually like some of the HTC features (like the duo-camera) and not sure I'd want to give those things up. Would it somehow be possible to use CM's bluetooth solution in something like the GPE ROM or even stock?

MARKREIF

Apr 25, 2010
Orange County NY
I am currently having outgoing voice quality issues while using a bluetooth headset (or in car/truck bluetooth) that I am trying to nail down with both HTC and Jawbone. I'm 90% sure at this point it's an HTC issue. I purchased an HTC One M8 on Verizon a week or so ago and immediately had issues with my Jawbone ERA. Voices sounded fine on my end but my voice on the other end sounded static-ey and overly loud - almost like the mic was too hot. I tried a ton of troubleshooting steps with both Jawbone and HTC and so far the issue remains. I also took the phone back and exchanged it for a new one and the new phone has the same issue. I've now tried 5 different bluetooth devices all with the same/similar result.

I found an old HTC One (M7 I think?) thread over on Android Central that seemed to be discussing the same issue:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one/309574-anyone-else-having-bluetooth-headset-sound-quality-issues-one.html
but no solution was found and it sounds like most people there just sort of gave up.

Sorry for the long explanation but one thing I wanted to try was using a ROM with a different bluetooth stack or system to see if that might point me to an HTC software issue vs a strict hardware issue. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm fairly comfortable with installing ROMs though on my old Droid, Safestrap certainly made it easier for me.

Thanks!
I'm on CleanRom and I'm also extremely sensitive to Bluetooth quality issues. I'm using both a Plantronics Legend and the Bose ear pieces and I hook the device up to a Pioneer DEH-80PRS in my car. I have to say I've never had a better Bluetooth experience. No complaints - superb quality - both ends

AustinML71

Dec 10, 2012
I'm on CleanRom and I'm also extremely sensitive to Bluetooth quality issues. I'm using both a Plantronics Legend and the Bose ear pieces and I hook the device up to a Pioneer DEH-80PRS in my car. I have to say I've never had a better Bluetooth experience. No complaints - superb quality - both ends

I'm now also on CleanRom and it is definitely better. My few tests so far weren't quite as clear as my CM tests but MUCH better than stock. This seems so strange to me. This is just a stripped down Sense ROM, like others yet a significant difference in quality. Both Viper and GPE had the same bad quality as stock. I wish I had the understanding/capability to truly root cause the issue as I'd love to have the freedom to use whichever ROM I choose. However, I do very much like CleanRom for now - the Verizon bloat on this phone was the worst I've ever had yet I do like a few of the Sense 6 features.