How to update to JB and keep root (Locked Bootloader)

Search This thread

pileot

Oct 16, 2010
Added links to .18.
Please note! The updater (as mentioned before) is a DIFFERENCE UPDATER, meaning if you are on .30 and try going directly to .18 chances are things will go badly.

As of yet i dont know if you reset the tablet if you will lose root. I do know that resetting tends to get rid of all your apps and usually a rogue app is whats causing things to go slow. A simple look through the running tasks can also help you determine whats causing problems without the need to kill everything and start over.

Anyways, i hope this thread continues to be helpful to everyone and if you can think of any changes i should make please let me know!

guthrien

Feb 26, 2011
I've never been able to accomplish this once either. I tried moving the files from the pc, tried from the tablet, coming from a brand new installation, making sure old files are removed, etc. I can't find the missing component. I'm coming from downgrading from the newest OTA to .30 Since doing that I've not seen an OTA request, so something in the system must change. Very frustrating to see the dead Droid. It teases me by getting about 40% done each time.

I guess I'll break down and unlock but I liked that I could hold off a little.

"Your update failed. It will now return to the original configuration." Is the message. I get after booting after it fails. Is command supposed to be in a folder of its own? I'm grasping at straws now.

Last edited:

jawert

Sep 23, 2012
please put command file in other place to download - unfo in china mediafire is blocked or there is some problem to download it
thx in advance

louiscar

Oct 12, 2007
If you have lag, fc, weird stuff, stuttering then definitely do a factory reset. It does help....most the time.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda premium

I can certainly say things are smoother on my TF700 after going back and doing the factory reset. I did the reset 3 times although I can't say if that was absolutely necessary but I feel it's a smoother experience ... 'feel' being the operative word. :)

pileot

Oct 16, 2010
I've never been able to accomplish this once either. I tried moving the files from the pc, tried from the tablet, coming from a brand new installation, making sure old files are removed, etc. I can't find the missing component. I'm coming from downgrading from the newest OTA to .30 Since doing that I've not seen an OTA request, so something in the system must change. Very frustrating to see the dead Droid. It teases me by getting about 40% done each time.

I guess I'll break down and unlock but I liked that I could hold off a little.

"Your update failed. It will now return to the original configuration." Is the message. I get after booting after it fails. Is command supposed to be in a folder of its own? I'm grasping at straws now.

Try re-downloading the files. Perhaps you have a corrupt file?

Have you tried starting the tablet pressing power + volume up, then volume down when you see the splash screen, and in the menu reset the tablet to stock?

Once the tablet resets, try the steps again.

Make sure you have the file names named correctly, and put in the proper directories.

The reason its failing is because something is still not stock. I dont know what else to tell you, sorry man.

guthrien

Feb 26, 2011
Try re-downloading the files. Perhaps you have a corrupt file?

Have you tried starting the tablet pressing power + volume up, then volume down when you see the splash screen, and in the menu reset the tablet to stock?

Once the tablet resets, try the steps again.

Make sure you have the file names named correctly, and put in the proper directories.

The reason its failing is because something is still not stock. I dont know what else to tell you, sorry man.

The directions here are excellent, I appreciate it. I wish I could find the problem. I have factory reset several times. I've only had to maintain root with ota so I could change the files again. I've downloaded them from tablet and pc and checked the md5. I'm coming from a brand new upgraded tablet so nothing has been changed by me. However, as I said I've never been offered an ota after downgrading, so Asus still sees it as on JB somehow.

I'll reset from the recovery screen as you suggest. Thanks for responding.

Last edited:

guthrien

Feb 26, 2011
No change, failed about 25% Did everything new again but erased from boot. I appreciate your help, though.

pileot

Oct 16, 2010
No change, failed about 25% Did everything new again but erased from boot. I appreciate your help, though.

idunno man, i wish i knew more to help with.... try downgrading to like, .26, rooting, OTA rootkeeper, then use this method to update to .30 first, make sure root is retained, then update to .16. Perhaps that will do it?

Worth a shot anyways.

jawert

Sep 23, 2012
everything working well even on my chinese asus on which I change SKU to WW

now have JB 18 and root

very good job with this thread

xIC-MACIx

Inactive Recognized Themer
Oct 7, 2011
Dallas, TX
Thanks for the thread, saved me a lot of google searches!

I initially had the update fail on me (dead andy in recovery) but got it working smoothly on my 2nd try. Considering how unbelievable picky the Asus OTA's are, I made a few changes before my second try. Give these options a go if your having issues getting things to work:

1. Move the "dlpkgfile" & "command" files from your PC to an external mini-SD & then move to /cache & /cache/recovery from the external SD.
2. Turn USB Debugging & Unknown Sources OFF
3. Rename the dlpkgfile from scratch instead of just removing "...US 16" or "...WW 16" etc.. (in the edit-text box when renaming)
4. (Optional) If you lose root, I invested in SuperSu Pro which allows root protection just like Rootkeeper. The reason: I have lost root on more than one occasion using OTA Rootkeeper when I had my Prime. The SuperSu protection method worked for me..

Note: For me, after the update was applied and the tab rebooted, it looped the splash screen like 3 times & scared the poopoo out of me. These "locked BL" work-arounds are sketchy! Lol

Good Luck,

-Mac

Last edited:

guthrien

Feb 26, 2011
I swear I tried even some obscure things, but I finally gave up. It was frustrating, I don't tend to have those sorts of troubles when messing with my devices, I'm slow and detail oriented when it comes to possibly bricking electronics. But..the nature of the beast is sometimes having a blind spot. I thank you for your help.

The upside is I went to CleanRom 2.3 and it radically improved the user experience.

pr4wn3r

Jun 20, 2012
Thank you, tried to update my pad this way,afer failing ota updage and worked like a Charm!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda app-developers app

B00TL0ADER

Oct 29, 2012
Yes! It works

Days after losing liters of coffee while trying to keep Root acces after JB upgrade, i finally found this working how-to.
Now, i have a "Unlocked" TF700T running JB (WW....18) with Root :p

Thanks pileot !!!

Ok, From now on if i see people asking how to update / how to keep root im going to link you to this thread, im tired of answering it.

This works if you are on STOCK RECOVERY. If you are unlocked there are lots of other options for you (such as flashing a rooted kernel) so go to development and find that. Since im not unlocked i had to do it the hard way. This method works if your OTA updates are screwed up. If you HAVE OTA updates you can just use OTA rootkeeper to backup and disable root, make sure all stock apps are restored, and proceed with root.

Note for the updater: The OTA updater is a DIFFERENCE updater, if files are missing or different versions the update will fail. Best practices say to update sequentially, never skip an update. It might not cause problems now but could cause problems in the future.

If your OTA updates have failed or for whatever reason you can not get OTA's, you have a LOCKED bootloader, or for whatever reason want to manually update and keep root then this guide is for you. Also please note the process for going from .16 to .18 is the same as going from .30 to .16.

First: Make sure you have all stock apps restored, no custom build.prop, etc.
If your not sure, wipe the tablet and reinstall. Better safe than sorry.

Make sure you are ROOTED. Use whatever method works for you.
Now would be a good time to make sure superuser is updated, mine was old so a quick update on the market and its all good.
Use OTA Rootkeeper to backup root
Download the DLPKG file apropriate for your version.

If you want to update to JB you must have .30 installed and download the .16 file, WW or US, depending on your region. Other packages are provided for convenience (This method can be used to spoof the OTA update to any version as long as you have the file)

DLPKG for .26 WW HERE
DLPKG for .30 WW HERE
DLPKG for .16 WW HERE or HERE or HERE
DLPKG for .16 US HERE or HERE
DLPKG for .18 WW HERE or HERE
DLPKG for US .18 HERE
(Make sure you only take the file for the version you want to update to, only one step at a time, so if you are on .30 WW you need .16WW before you can do .18WW)

You will also need the command file HERE or HERE

Transfer the files to your tablet using the USB cable.

Once the files are on the tablet use Root Explorer or your favorite root file browser to move the two files
(NOT THE STOCK FILE BROWSER IT CANT SEE THE ROOT DIRECTORY)
"command" goes to /cache/recovery
"dlpkgfile" goes to /cache

Make sure the files are named exactly as shown above. No capitals, no file extensions, etc.
Make sure the permissions for both files are changed to RW-R-R for both.

Go into OTA Rootkeeper and TEMP UNROOT.
Shut down the tablet. Remove the USB cord. Remove any USB memory sticks. Eject your Micro SD card. UNdock the tablet. Lets not let anything go to chance.
Press and hold both the power and volume down buttons (volume down is closest to the power button in case you forgot like me)
Soon as the splash screen comes up you should see some text on the left side, release the power and volume down buttons and press volume up.
Now just sit back and wait, this can take a while. I got myself a snack and took this time to stretch a little.
Once your all booted up you should be running JellyBean. Open OTA Rootkeeper and restore root.

Please note i did not come up with the steps in this guide. I did not originate the files. I am nowhere near smart enough to do all this on my own. I meerly collected the information and links to files and pieced it all together. I wrote this so even my father could follow these instructions so hopefully you all succeed! If something needs clarification please let me know.

- Edit -
Added notes on restoring tablet to stock.
- Edit -
Added .18 links. Thanks to xcal321 for providing them.
- Edit -
Cleaned up the guide a little. Hopefully its less wordy and easier to follow.
- Edit -
Added links to my personal google drive for nearly all the files, should have no problem for overseas users with limited access to mediafire :)

Brutaniac

Nov 6, 2012
Haven't got enough space in /cache

Hi Guys,

I've stuck on the "dlpkgfile" goes to /cache step.
I cannot complete the procedure as I seem haven't got enough space in /cache. cp /sdcard/Download/dlpkgfile /cache/ produces "cp: write error: No space left on device"

Indeed, df says /cache has 422M while dlpkgfile is 445M.

Please give me a hint how to break through.

TIA

Last edited:

suunnittelija

Mar 13, 2011
Oulu
www.rasteri.net
I accidentally installed .30 again: I mixed up buttons when doing cold boot and I had .30 file on memory card because I did downgrade from JB to ICS earlier... So it was installed and I had fresh ICS again. Everything is OK now, I'm rooted and back on latest .20 update.

My question is that is it mandatory to do DLPKG file update for each version (.30 -> .16 -> .18) before updating to .20?
I skipped .18 and updated via OTA from .16 to .20. Seems to be working fine but wondering does it cause any issues.

Last edited:

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
I skipped .18 and updated via OTA from .16 to .20. Seems to be working fine but wondering does it cause any issues.

That should not work, because the OTA dlpkgfile contains only patches to the previous version, and the version number is the first thing that is checked in the updater-script.

If it did work (and your settings screen really shows 10.4.4.20), then you somehow installed both .18 and .20.

Reactions: suunnittelija

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, From now on if i see people asking how to update / how to keep root im going to link you to this thread, im tired of answering it.

This works if you are on STOCK RECOVERY. If you are unlocked there are lots of other options for you (such as flashing a rooted kernel) so go to development and find that. Since im not unlocked i had to do it the hard way. This method works if your OTA updates are screwed up. If you HAVE OTA updates you can just use OTA rootkeeper to backup and disable root, make sure all stock apps are restored, and proceed with root.

Note for the updater: The OTA updater is a DIFFERENCE updater, if files are missing or different versions the update will fail. Best practices say to update sequentially, never skip an update. It might not cause problems now but could cause problems in the future.

If your OTA updates have failed or for whatever reason you can not get OTA's, you have a LOCKED bootloader, or for whatever reason want to manually update and keep root then this guide is for you. Also please note the process for going from .16 to .18 is the same as going from .30 to .16.

First: Make sure you have all stock apps restored, no custom build.prop, etc.
    If your not sure, wipe the tablet and reinstall. Better safe than sorry.

To reset the tablet if you dont have stock apps:
    Determine which version you are running. For me it was .30WW
    Go to www.asus.com and download the firmware for your version
    plug your tablet into the usb on your computer, unzip the firmware and put it in the root of your tablet (Dont use USB memory sticks or SD cards, just transfer it directly)
    restart your tablet, it SHOULD load the file and go about resetting the tablet to stock.
    If that does not work, try starting the tablet holding power and volume down, on the splash screen press volume up and reset the tablet that way.
    Once your tablet is returned to stock you can proceed.

Make sure you are ROOTED. Use whatever method works for you.
    Now would be a good time to make sure superuser is updated, mine was old so a quick update on the market and its all good.
    Use OTA Rootkeeper to backup root
    Download the DLPKG file apropriate for your version.

If you want to update to JB you must have .30 installed and download the .16 file, WW or US, depending on your region. Other packages are provided for convenience (This method can be used to spoof the OTA update to any version as long as you have the file)

DLPKG for .26 WW HERE
    DLPKG for .30 WW HERE
    DLPKG for .16 WW HERE or HERE or HERE
    DLPKG for .16 US HERE or HERE
    DLPKG for .18 WW HERE or HERE
    DLPKG for .18 US HERE or HERE
    (Make sure you only take the file for the version you want to update to, only one step at a time, so if you are on .30 WW you need .16WW before you can do .18WW)
    DLPKG for US .20 HERE
    DLPKG for WW .20 HERE
    DLPKG for US .23 HERE or HERE or HERE or HERE
    DLPKG for WW .23 HERE
    DLPKG for .25 WW HERE

You will also need the command file HERE or HERE

Transfer the files to your tablet using the USB cable.
    If you use a USB memory stick or SD card make sure its formatted FAT32.
    Please note there have been reported problems with people using USB memory sticks or SD cards, often the files fail. I have had best success using the USB cable provided with my tablet and directly transferring the file. YMMV.
    Once the files are on the tablet use Root Explorer or your favorite root file browser to move the two files
    (NOT THE STOCK FILE BROWSER IT CANT SEE THE ROOT DIRECTORY)
    "command" goes to /cache/recovery
    "dlpkgfile" goes to /cache

Make sure the files are named exactly as shown above. No capitals, no file extensions, etc.
    Make sure the permissions for both files are changed to RW-R-R for both.
    Note: There has been a little confusion about "root directory" so i will explain a little further. The root directory is generally protected. You will have to be rooted (by definition, having root access, kind of like administrator access in windows) and use a file browser like root explorer. The stock file browser only lets you see a few specific areas and will not let you access the root directory of the tablet. Root explorer will also let you modify permissions which the stock browser will not let you do. Im sure there are other browser applications that work equally well as root explorer, thats just the one i have had success with. As always, Your Milage May Vary.

Go into OTA Rootkeeper and TEMP UNROOT.
    Shut down the tablet. Remove the USB cord. Remove any USB memory sticks. Eject your Micro SD card. UNdock the tablet. Lets not let anything go to chance.
    Press and hold both the power and volume down buttons (volume down is closest to the power button in case you forgot like me)
    Soon as the splash screen comes up you should see some text on the left side, release the power and volume down buttons and press volume up.
    Now just sit back and wait, this can take a while. I got myself a snack and took this time to stretch a little.
    Once your all booted up you should be running JellyBean. Open OTA Rootkeeper and restore root.

Please note i did not come up with the steps in this guide. I did not originate the files. I am nowhere near smart enough to do all this on my own. I meerly collected the information and links to files and pieced it all together. I wrote this so even my father could follow these instructions so hopefully you all succeed! If something needs clarification please let me know.

- Edit -
    Added notes on restoring tablet to stock.
    - Edit -
    Added .18 links. Thanks to xcal321 for providing them.
    - Edit -
    Cleaned up the guide a little. Hopefully its less wordy and easier to follow.
    - Edit -
    Added links to my personal google drive for nearly all the files, should have no problem for overseas users with limited access to mediafire :)
    - Edit -
    Sorry it took so long, added files for .20 US and WW. Will copy them to my personal Gdrive when i have more time.
    - Edit -
    Still alive, added .25 WW. Nearly all the files are uploaded to my personal google docs account so if something goes screwy let me know via PM
    OK, got the file. Confirmed 9.4.5.30 --> 10.4.4.25 Direct update.

Note: This is for US Eepad only!!!!

Uploading it now to my MF and 4Shared accts (MF is no longer paid, until I can scrounge up $$$, so I'll link both sites here - hopefully you'll be able to get it from at least one of them.

---------- Post added at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

4Shared: http://www.4shared.com/zip/EjS5f1jE/US_epad_user_9_4_5_30_to_10_4_.html

MF: http://www.mediafire.com/file/rtl34vg63e3sdee/US_epad_user_9_4_5_30_to_10_4_4_25_dlpkg.zip
    How can I get the dlpkgfile Version 10.4.4.23 WW?

Isn't it possible to receive the files regular via OTA from Asus step by step?

Right here bro!
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ausece6a7246wci
    dlpkg batch file

did anyone else write a batchfile to semi-automate the dlpkg update?
    below are the commands i put in a batchfile. I created it initially because i had to downgrade to ICS to root then upgraded all the way. I was tired of typing in the commands.
    Note there are 2 batches, the SDcard location changed when it updates to JB.
    Hope it helps

------ ICS Commands:
    adb push command /sdcard/command
    adb push dlpkgfile /sdcard/dlpkgfile
    adb shell su -c "cat /sdcard/command > /cache/recovery/command"
    adb shell su -c "cat /sdcard/dlpkgfile > /cache/dlpkgfile"
    adb shell rm /sdcard/command
    adb shell rm /sdcard/dlpkgfile
    adb shell su -c "chmod 644 /cache/recovery/command"
    adb shell su -c "chmod 644 /cache/dlpkgfile"

------- Jelly Bean Commands:
    adb push command /storage/sdcard0/command
    adb push dlpkgfile /storage/sdcard0/dlpkgfile
    adb shell su -c "cat /storage/sdcard0/command > /cache/recovery/command"
    adb shell su -c "cat /storage/sdcard0/dlpkgfile > /cache/dlpkgfile"
    adb shell rm /storage/sdcard0/command
    adb shell rm /storage/sdcard0/dlpkgfile
    adb shell su -c "chmod 644 /cache/recovery/command"
    adb shell su -c "chmod 644 /cache/dlpkgfile"
    That is very helpfull !! Thanks for that !! Just one question: What about if I downgrade to .30 with clean system, root my device, update superuser app, then use OTA Rootkeeper to backup my root, next Temp unroot via OTA Rootkeeper and use upgrade to JB with OTA (not using files that you put above )?? It still works, any ideas ??

Regards
    Doncieslacco

If OTA works for you after that then use OTA. For a large portion of us OTA did not want to work so these are the steps i used. Essentially its the same thing, OTA downloads the same files and puts them in the directories mentioned. Just make sure you do the temp unroot before updating as forgetting to do that step has lost some people root.