[GUIDE] How to Enter ODIN and Recovery Modes on Verizon Galaxy S4

Search This thread

frankyjorge

Mar 19, 2013
Newbies

Just something for the newbies... Always see newbies get nervous when they get stuck in Odin, remember, this isn't an iPhone, just pull the battery and try again!

Reactions: ArnieG

nyazbek86

Feb 28, 2012
I've been trying to get into download mode for days and can't seem to figure it out. I have the Verizon g s4 sch-i545. I've done all of the key combos and even tried some combos + plugging in the USB cable. Nothing is working for me. Any help would be nice. Thanks

I have no problem getting into recovery mode....

To get into download mode it is power and volume down

rkbelew

Dec 19, 2013
for ODIN/download mode, hold Volume-Down+Power long enough

for me, this bit was the key:

• Key(s): Volume Down
  • While holding this key down simultaneously press the Power button until you see a disclaimer on the screen

ie, other instructions i'd found said wait until the vibrate signal, but that consistently left me with the Samsung Unlocked Custom splash screen, and i'd need to remove the battery and try again. Wait until you get the Warning splash screen, THEN release!

csaunders_24

Apr 11, 2011
I am on MK2 and rooted. I tried installing TWRP recovery using the app. I've been reading that was a no no. Now when I try to enter recovery mode it says "could not do normal boot - ODIN mode" Should I try to install Safestrap or will that make things worse?

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
I am on MK2 and rooted. I tried installing TWRP recovery using the app. I've been reading that was a no no. Now when I try to enter recovery mode it says "could not do normal boot - ODIN mode" Should I try to install Safestrap or will that make things worse?

Your best bet at this point is to install Samsung Kies and use that to recover, or flash the MK2 factory image from the Android Development forum.

Then, possibly consider Safestrap, but ONLY after you've read here for a week or so to understand what you can do.

Example: YOU CAN'T FLASH CM OR AOSP using Safestrap.

csaunders_24

Apr 11, 2011
Since I am going to have to do a full wipe would you suggest downgrading to MDK or MJ7 so I can get a normal root and custom recovery? Or is that even possible?

BTW I am not new to rooting, etc. Just new to this phone. I've rooted my wife's S3 so I've used Odin before.

Your best bet at this point is to install Samsung Kies and use that to recover, or flash the MK2 factory image from the Android Development forum.

Then, possibly consider Safestrap, but ONLY after you've read here for a week or so to understand what you can do.

Example: YOU CAN'T FLASH CM OR AOSP using Safestrap.

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
Can you please explain why? If I'm writing a different factory image using Odin, wouldn't that overwrite everything on MK2?

Apparently you have a lot of reading to do. :)

The I545 boot loader is locked. It will not allow you to flash anything not signed by Samsung.

For the MDK phone, there was an exploit discovered, called Loki, that allows flashing custom kernel, recovery,etc. allowing bypass of those locks.
So, now you can only flash something that Samsung built. Loki only works on the MDK bootloader.

In addition, the bootloader keeps track of what version of various files have been flashed. If you try to downgrade, it's rejected since the image you're trying to flash is lower than the version in the fuse that stores the revision level. Nobody knows how to reset that fuse, or if it's even possible to do so.

The MJ7 to MK2 upgrade didn't bump the revision level (it's a minor update), so you can backtrack from MK2 to MJ7. That's the only downgrade path that works.

csaunders_24

Apr 11, 2011

The I545 boot loader is locked. It will not allow you to flash anything not signed by Samsung.

For the MDK phone, there was an exploit discovered, called Loki, that allows flashing custom kernel, recovery,etc. allowing bypass of those locks.
So, now you can only flash something that Samsung built. Loki only works on the MDK bootloader.

In addition, the bootloader keeps track of what version of various files have been flashed. If you try to downgrade, it's rejected since the image you're trying to flash is lower than the version in the fuse that stores the revision level. Nobody knows how to reset that fuse, or if it's even possible to do so.

The MJ7 to MK2 upgrade didn't bump the revision level (it's a minor update), so you can backtrack from MK2 to MJ7. That's the only downgrade path that works.

Thank you! Yeah I've been doing a lot of reading the last few days and figured most of that out. Is there any benefit to downgrading to MJ7? I think I'm just going to take your original advice and just flash the factory image MK2 to get the recovery back, install safestrape, make nandroid and install hyperdrive. My only reason to do any of this is to get wifi tether. I'm still on the unlimited data plan. Thank you for being nice and not yelling at me. Haha :)

khudainazar

Dec 10, 2016
Dubai
I've been trying to get into download mode for days and can't seem to figure it out. I have the Verizon g s4 sch-i545. I've done all of the key combos and even tried some combos + plugging in the USB cable. Nothing is working for me. Any help would be nice. Thanks

I have no problem getting into recovery mode....

I believe your volume keys are not working properly.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Not sure if this is the proper section for this but thought I would post this here as I'm sure it would highly assist people in development and other tasks. This is the button combinations you need to enter each mode.

ODIN/Download Mode

• Make sure your device is completely off
    • Key(s): Volume Down
    • While holding this key down simultaneously press the Power button until you see a disclaimer on the screen
    • Then let go of both buttons and press Volume Up to accept the disclaimer
    • Once the green robot is visible on the screen this indicates that handset is in now ODIN/Download mode
    Recovery Mode

• Make sure your device is completely off
    • Key(s): Volume Up
    • While holding this key down simultaneously press the Power button
    • As soon as the phone vibrates, let go of the Power button but keep holding Volume Up
    • When you see the "Samsung Galaxy S4" logo (not just the word "Samsung"), right after that, the next screen you should see is your recovery
    • Don't let go of Volume Up until you see your recovery
    It's not necessary to hold the Home button to boot into Odin mode, the combination for recovery is correct though.

So just power/volume down for Odin and home/volume up/power for recovery
    Can you please explain why? If I'm writing a different factory image using Odin, wouldn't that overwrite everything on MK2?

It's not necessary to hold the Home button to boot into Odin mode, the combination for recovery is correct though.

So just power/volume down for Odin and home/volume up/power for recovery

Home isn't necessary for recovery either. I just hold power and volume up, when the phone vibrates I let go of power and continue to hold volume up until I see the booting recovery message in the upper left.
    Well I have pushed volume down and power over and over and my phone will not enter odin.

Don't just push them. You need to hold both until you feel the phone vibrate. Then you can let go of the power button, but keep holding volume down until download mode starts.