[Q] verizon s4 sch-i545 flashing or unlocking to use on straight talk

Search This thread

robquillan

Apr 2, 2014
Hello, I am new to xda this is my first post so I hope I put it in the right place.
I bought an s4 from a private seller assuming that because it wa a verizon and that means cdma where I live , that I would be able to activate it as a cdma straight talk phone with the activation kit from straight talk ,
I tried but it when I get to the part of the ctivation were it askes for my sim card to be put in the phone ........I get lost because I thought cdma Verizon required no sim,
so I think this means that they want to activate my phone as a gsm phone ...... this wont get any service in my area I need cdma.

so I went and had my phone flashed ....with a donor phone and it works but I hate it the pic messaging is all screwed up ....I just want a stock feel and not to have to you third party apps to txt

BIG question.. is it possible to reflash my phone back to stock and activate it the right way? if not are there any s4's that straight talk will accept under the cdma ?
I know this is a mess but any input would be great thanks in advance

Oishikatta

Mar 16, 2014
Hello, I am new to xda this is my first post so I hope I put it in the right place.
I bought an s4 from a private seller assuming that because it wa a verizon and that means cdma where I live , that I would be able to activate it as a cdma straight talk phone with the activation kit from straight talk ,
I tried but it when I get to the part of the ctivation were it askes for my sim card to be put in the phone ........I get lost because I thought cdma Verizon required no sim,
so I think this means that they want to activate my phone as a gsm phone ...... this wont get any service in my area I need cdma.

so I went and had my phone flashed ....with a donor phone and it works but I hate it the pic messaging is all screwed up ....I just want a stock feel and not to have to you third party apps to txt

BIG question.. is it possible to reflash my phone back to stock and activate it the right way? if not are there any s4's that straight talk will accept under the cdma ?

Don't know about flashing CDMA, but have you checked your APN settings?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2672843

That's about using GSM, but using those APN settings may fix your pic messaging issue.

klabit87

Jul 11, 2011
The Verizon s4 can be used for straight talk gsm. It is unlocked out of the box. Just put in a straight talk sim t mobile or att compatible and set your apn and everything should work perfectly.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia

First, what model phone do you actually have? The Verizon Galaxy S4 (SCH-i545) is in fact a CDMA/GSM/LTE phone, which does have a SIM.
It sounds like you should re-flash the factory ROM. Perhaps the easiest way to do that is to plug it in and use the Verizon Recovery Assistant. Or, use Samsung Kies to re-flash it - those will WIPE your phone, however.

robquillan

Apr 2, 2014
no gsm has to be cdma

ok thankyou to all... here is the problem I got a cdma phone because were I live cdma is all that works no t-mobile - no att and sprint is also bad

only cdma versions of tracfone , straight talk, and verizon work well here.

my phone is the verizon cdma phone

but i'm only interested in activating it under cdma not gsm

Straight talk has a s3 that runs on the cdma here some friends have it

swordmastr54

Mar 11, 2013
Houston
I also am interested in doing this, I have talked to Walmart and straight talk as well and they both say the same if its true or not I'm not sure but they said that all you need is the sim kit and set the right apn , and yes we do have a sim in this phone so I would guess you will need it.

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
ok thankyou to all... here is the problem I got a cdma phone because were I live cdma is all that works no t-mobile - no att and sprint is also bad

only cdma versions of tracfone , straight talk, and verizon work well here.

my phone is the verizon cdma phone

but i'm only interested in activating it under cdma not gsm

Straight talk has a s3 that runs on the cdma here some friends have it

OK, so if you're using a Verizon Galaxy S4, which supports the following bands: (see here)

LTE: Bands 4/13;
CDMA 1x/EVDO Rev.A: 800/1900MHz;
HSPA+/UMTS: 850/900/1900/2100MHz;
GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHz

All you should have to do is to read out the ESN and activate it if your carrier is on 800/1900 MHz CDMA.