[9001][GUIDE][NOOBFRIENDLY]Starter-Guide[STOPPED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

fabsau

Dec 3, 2011
Frankfurt
I´m not responsible for what you do! This guide could “destroy” your phone if you do something different how it is explained!!!
I do not have any claim of fullness! If here should be any mistakes feel free to correct me!

Support is now stopped, read this post for more details...

Hi folks
I saw that here is missing a basic guide for our device, then I noticed that we have get a lot of new members, too!
This guide will be so noobfriendly that even my grandmother will understand it ;)
I will try to answer here every question and I will add it then to the front page. I will answer very kindly, too! So feel free to ask everything =)

Please follow each step, don´t skip any step and do all exactly how I explain it...

Must haves:
Following things are must haves for every I9001 phone. In this guide I will explain how to get them on YOUR phone.
Most things will be installed automated by a installation of a custom rom, which is then more easily for you to get them!
Busybox
USB-Debugging
Clockworkmod
Root
Deodex
1. Basics:
About Roms:
What is a Rom:
The whole system of your phone is a rom. Windows 7 is a Rom for your computer (just a metaphor)
A rom contains different sections:
boot.img (kernel)
system.img (the main-system)
recovery.img (recovery mode)cache.img (caches)
Stock-Rom:
The Stock-Rom is the system which Samsung is delivering to the store. Samsung built this rom from the google sources and changed android they way they like it.
The stock-rom is the original rom of your phone!
You can find a lot of stock roms in the Index or just here in the dev forum
Custom-Rom:
A custom-rom is a modified rom which has different improvements. The base can be of a stock rom or it is an AOSP-Rom.
You can find a lot of custom roms here in the forum or just visit the Index

AOSP-Rom:
This is a Custom-Rom too, but the base is built from the sources of Google. The advantages are that there is not any garbage, it is more stable and it has more functionality. But the disadvantage is that it is hard to build and it will take long time for being bug free.
Basic knowledge:
What are Tweaks:
Tweaks are changing values in the system. Tweaks ussually improves the whole system
Kernel Description:
The Kernel is a piece of software which controls everything on your system.
The kernel controls the cpu with the governor. The governor decides the behavior of the cpu, like when the cpu has to be on the max. clock or when it has to be on the min. clock.
The kernel controls the ram and sd-card behavior with the scheduler. The scheduler decides how long a process should be saved in the ram and it influences the sd-card read and write speed.
The kernel controls the voltage of the battery on a specific cpu clock, too
The kernels which are offered here are oc (overclocked), UV (under volted), they add new governors and scheduler and the add the init.d support.
Init.d makes it possible to launch tweaks at the boot of the phone if they are in the init.d folder (system/etc/init.d).
A description of governors and scheduler are here and here
You can change the governor and scheduler with AnTuTu CPU Master
I recommend strongly to change the kernel because it improves your system immense, but in the other hand the car cardle will not work anymore with these kernels.
Only Stock Kernel and the stock kernel with init.d support the car cardle
At the moment are following kernel popular:
Skyhigh
Feamod
Vitality
Stock Kernel with Init.d - KQ7
Bloadware:
Bloadware are apps which nobody needs. Samsung implement them in their stock roms. When they are removed there will be more free space for other apps and more ram will be available
Brick:
Your phone is bricked when it can not boot anymore.
There are two types bricks
Soft Brick:
When your phone is soft bricked it can cause a boot-loop (the reboot-procedure begins always as new) or your phone will stick in the boot.
Soft bricks happen often by installing themes over a odex system (more informations in the 8. point)
You can solve soft bricks easily by installing a new rom with the clockworkmod or with odin (more informations in the 2. point)
Hard Brick:
When your phone is hard bricked it will not do anything. You will not be able to enter the clockworkmod or the downloadmode!
Hard bricks often happen by flashing roms of other phones or flashing bad custom roms (at the moment there aren´t any "bad" customs roms for our device)
You can solve SOMETIMES a hard brick with a JTAG. If the jtag could not help you have to send your phone to samsung for a expensive repair
Batterly life:
You can improve your battery life by changing the governor, the scheduler, turning off gps, bluetooth, wi-fi and by changing the brightness of your display.
You can improve your battery life too by changing the max. and min. clock of your cpu. But here is to say you have to find your personal middle way of performance and battery life settings.
Wipe:
A wipe is when you delete everything on your phone. It has the same meaning as "format" and "delete". How to wipe your phone is explained in the 6. point
Other Settings:
Animations:
In the default settings the animations are diactivated, but they look so nice that you have to activate them :D. If you want for example the old screen off you have to activate the animations.
How to activate animations:
  1. Enter in the settings of your smart-phone
  2. Select "display"
  3. Choose "animation"
  4. Choose "all animations"
Wi-Fi troubles:
If you face Wi-Fi troubles could this method solve your problems
  1. Enter in the settings of your phone
  2. Choose "Wirelless and network"
  3. Choose "Wi-Fi settings"
  4. Press the Menu-Button
  5. Choose "Advanced"
  6. Activate "use static IP"
Busybox:
Busybox is a collection of commands and functions for every android phone. Some custom roms will even not be working properly without Busybox! Normally Busybox will be installed automated by a custom rom installation , but if not you can install the .zip in the post #3 through Clockworkmod (detailed explanation for installing .zips with clockworkmod are in the 2. Point)

USB Settings:
What is USB-Debugging:
USB-Debugging is a function of Android. If it is enabled you will be able to use adb. Make sure that you have it always enabled because you will need it often and by the way it does not have any disadvantages
What is adb:
adb means: Android Debug Bridge
With adb you can change/edit/install files on your phone with your computer. Broodplank1337 made a big configurator which can do incredible things!
Configurator
How To use Adb is explained in this Tutorial
How to enable USB-Debugging:
  2. Enter in the “Applications”
  3. Enter in “Development”
  4. Enable “USB-Debugging”
How to copy files on your internal SD card:
  1. Make sure that you´ve got at least installed the USB Driver if not download them from the download section (if you have installed kies you got the USB Driver installed too)
  2. Make sure that you have enabled USB-Debugging in the Settings of your phone
  3. Connect now your device with your computer with the usb-wire
  4. Now just pull down your status bar and select the usb notification then you choose "connect storage to PC"
  5. Now you can copy files on your internal SD-card
  6. Your internal SD-card is the storage with 5 GB
2. How to install every Rom/Kernel/Recovery/Mod:
General
If it is a zip file you have to install it with Clockworkmod Recovery. If it is a .tar or a .tar.md5 file you have to install it with Odin!
Odin:
What is Odin:
Odin is a program on windows where you can install custom roms and kernel during your phone is in the Download Mode. To use Odin you need the AriesVE.ops and the kernel or custom rom you want to install.
What is the Download Mode:
When you phone is in the Download Mode you will be able to flash kernel, roms, new recovery modes with Odin. You can only exit the Download Mode by taking of the battery or when odin finished flashing!
How to get in the Download Mode:
  1. Please turn off your phone and wait until it is completely shut down
  2. Press the Home-button + volume-down + power button until there is an android icon
    (In post#2) is a Imagine which could help you)
Installing Custom Roms and Kernels with Odin
  1. Download:
    • Odin
    • AriesVE
      (downloadlinks are in post#3)
  2. Start Odin.exe
  3. Press on "OPS" and choose the AriesVE.ops
  4. Activate the Option "One Package"
  5. Click on "One Package" and select the .tar or .tar.md5 file
  6. Put your phone in to the download mode
  7. Connect your phone with the usb-wire
  8. Press "Start" in Odin
  9. Wait until your phone reboots automatically
Recovery-Mode:
What is the Recovery Mode:
The Recovery Mode is like the BIOS of your computer. There you can manage your phone easily. The Stock Recovery Mode does not have a lot of functions, because of this there were made new recovery mode by good devs. A better recovery mode is the clockworkmod
What is the clockworkmod:
The clockworkmod is actually the most popular recovery mode. At the moment it is the most stable one, too
Other expressions for "clockworkmod":
"CWM"
"Recovery Mode"
"feamod"
What are the differences between Stock-Recovery Mod and Clockworkmod:
With the stock Recovery Mod you can just make a Factory Reset and install simple zip files. You will not be able to install custom roms!
With the clockworkmod you can backup, restore and format your system and install any custom rom
Do I need the Clockworkmod:
Yes it is a must have, you will not be able to install any custom rom or other mods
How to get in the stock-Recovery Mode:
  2. Press please the power + the volume up button for 10 seconds
  3. When you see a Box with an android icon press once the menu button to be able to use it
How to navigate in stock Recovery Mode:
  • Navigating:
    Volume Up/Down
  • Selecting:
    Home-Button
How to install the Clockworkmod:
  1. Download:
    • AriesVE
    • Odin
    • FeaModRecovery 1.2
  2. Enter the Download Mod
  3. Now start Odin
  4. Select as always AriesVE.ops as ops file
  5. Then activate “one package” option in Odin and choose as “one package” “FeaModRecovery_1.2.tar.md5”
  6. Press "Start" and wait until your phone reboots
How to get in the Clockworkmod:
How to navigate in Clockworkmod:
  • Navigating:
    Volume Up/Down
  • Selecting:
    Menu-Button
  • Back:
    Back-Button
What is "mounting":
If you mount something you will be able to edit/delete/add files to your system. Developer always recommend to mount /system before installing a mod, because if you don´t do it the mod will not be installed successfully
How can I mount /system:
  1. Enter in the Clockworkmod
  2. Choose "mounts and storage"
  3. Choose "mount /system"
It works with /data , /cache , /efs , /emmc , /sdcard ,too
How to install Custom Roms/Kernel/Recovery/Mods with the Clockworkmod:
  1. Put the zip file on your external-card in a folder (Do not put it in a folder with starting with a ".")
  2. Enter in the Clockworkmod
  3. Choose “install zip from sdcard”
  4. Choose “choose zip from sdcard”
  5. Choose the .zip file and install it
  6. Reboot
3. Root:
What is a Root:
You can compare "Root" with the "admin" on your computer or with a “Jailbreak” for Apple products. If you have "root" you can modify all on your system. If you have installed root there will be no more borders.
Other expressions for "root":
"superuser""su"
What can I do exactly with a Root:
Firstly you can backup your apps (will explain this later more precise)
You can change the cpu frequency (cpu=processor an electronic circuit which executes computer programs)
You can run every app which needs root access
Does the root pay up:
Yes it does because it is the first border to cross for having the best of your phone
How to install Root with Clockworkmod:
  1. Download the root from post#3
  2. Put the root.zip on your external-sd-card in a folder (Do not put it in a folder with starting with a ".")
  3. Enter the Clockworkmod
  4. Choose "install zip from sdcard"
  5. Choose "choose zip from sdcard"
  6. Choose the root.zip and install it
  7. Reboot your phone
How to install Root with stock Recovery:
  2. Put it on your internal SD card. Please just copy it on your SD-card and NOT in any folder
  3. Enter in the stock Recovery Mod
  4. Then you choose “apply update” and you choose the root.zip and install it
  5. Reboot then your Phone by choosing “rebooting”
How to Unroot:
  1. Download the "unroot.zip" from post#3
  2. Put the .zip on your external-sdcard in a folder
  3. Enter in the clockworkmod/stock recovery mode
  4. Install it like you installed the root.zip
4. How to Backup:
There are two ways of backing up your data.
  1. With Titanium Backup:
    Titanium Backup is an app which will only backup your apps
    Titanium Backup is a free app but I recommend only the pro version, because the free is too slow
    Your backup will be saved on you internal-card in:
    /titanium backup/
  2. With Clockworkmod:
    With the clockworkmod you can backup your apps and your whole system with all settings. I prefer this method because it is simple and secure...
How to Backup in CWM:
  1. Enter the Clockworkmod
  2. Select “backup and restore”
  3. Select “backup” and enjoy your backup
Your backup will be saved on your external-card in:
/clockworkmod/backup/
5. Restore:

How to restore the whole system:
  3. Select “restore” and choose the date of your backup
How to restore only apps:
Before restoring you should always format your device! How to format is explained in the next point!
  3. Select “advanced restore”
  4. Choose the date of the backup
  5. Choose “data”
6. How to format:
Do this every time before flashing a stock- or custom-rom!
Attention!
You will delete everything on your phone! Your phone will not even be able to boot! Only Clockworkmod and the Download-Mode will be left! (Your SIM-Card will be untouched)
Please make sure that you saved only your backups on another device before formatting your phone (like on your computer)
This is the best method for using the full experience of every custom rom! I recommend this method because in the past a lot of users had issues with custom roms. They had installed a lot of different custom roms before and they didn´t format their phone correctly before flashing the new rom. This caused a lot of problems
  2. Choose "advanced"
  3. Choose "Wipe Dalvik Cache"
  4. Go back to the main-menu by pressing the back button
  5. Choose “Mounts and storage”
  6. Select all after all
    • Format /system
    • Format /cache
    • Format /data
    • (Format /emmc)
    • (Format /sdcard)
      Formating "emmc" and "sdcard" is not a duty! You will need it if you installed a mod on your internal or in your external card
7. Warranty:
What makes your warranty dissapear:
  • Root
  • Clockworkmod
  • Custom-Rom
  • Other Kernel
How to restore your warranty:
You can restore warranty easily, you have just to flash the stock-rom which was on your device when you bought it. If you not remember which stock-rom you had installed as first visit Sammobile and search for I9001. Download the stock-rom which is for your country, flash it with odin and you will have your warranty back :)
(For using the Search you have to Regist on Sammobile)
8. Deodex(ADVANCED):
What is Odex:
All apps are at the beginning odexed. Odex means that the apps are actually "packed". When the apps are odex it is more difficult to modify them.
What is Deodex:
Deodexing apps means that you are "unpacking" the apps. When you deodex your apps you will be able to modify them. A deodexed Rom belongs to basic because you will need it for installing a theme or other mods.
Deodexing your rom will not cause any disadvantages
How to Deodex:
Requierments:
Root
Busybox
Java SDK (Download is in the post #3)
USB-Debugging
xUltimate-v2.3.3 (Download is in the post #3)
  1. Connect your phone with the usb-wire
  2. Extract xUltimate-v2.3.3.zip
  3. Start the "Test.exe"
    Following must be in the command prompt:
    • adb = PASS!
    • odex = PASS!
    • zip = PASS!
    • busybox = PASS!
    • java = PASS!
    • temp = PASS!
    • deodex = SKIP!
    • redex = SKIP!
    If something is different please do not deodex you phone because you will fail. If it all matches do following things:
  4. Start the "Main.exe"
  5. Press "1"
  6. When it is finished press please "2"
  7. Enter the folder "origi_app" and delete following files:
    • Maps.apk
    • Maps.odex
    • Phonesky.apk
    • Phonesky.odex
    • PlusOne.apk
    • PlusOne.odex
  8. Enter again xUltimate-v2.3.3 and press please "3"
  9. When it is finished press please "4"
  10. After it is finished start the Deodex.bat (big thanks to nikagl for the commands)
  11. After the automated reboot your phone should be successful deodexed
To check if youre phone is deodexed just run again the "Test.exe" and under the point "deodex" should be "PASS!" or under the point "odex" should be "FAIL!"
Other Tutorials:
How to install CM9 by Arco (alpha2):
Original Post

This tutorial only works if you have installed a custom recovery! How to install a custom recovery (clockworkmod) is explained in the Starter-Guide.

Please make sure that your phone is formated before doing this! How to format is explained in the Starter-Guide ,too.

1. Download please CM9 by arco
2. Unrar
3. Put the folder "2012-05-12.19.54.06" in "clockworkmod/backup" (internal or external is equal)
4. Put your phone in the recovery-mode
5. choose "backup and restore"
6. choose "restore" or "restore from external card"
7. choose "2012-05-12.19.54.06" and confirm
8. reboot

Do following if you do NOT have installed the Clockworkmod by Arco!

9. Download Arco´s Clockworkmod
10. Put your phone into download mode
11. Start Odin
12. Select the ops file
13. Check "one package" and select as "one package" "recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.4-ariesve.tar.md5"
14. Press "Start"
How To Connect both Storages at the same time on pc with CM9:
Original Post
So found an other solution where people were complainig off!

First big thanks to Campi1995 who tested it as well

So the problem was following:
people were not able to connect two storages at the same time with their computer and I found an interesting app in the market, it is called Multi Mount Sd-card

For mounting both storages do follwing things:

Install Multi Mount Sd-card
Add the Widget off the app on any homescreen (in the app drawer, you can add widget)
Connect your phone with the usb-wire
Click once at the widget (it should get green)
and BUUUUFF both is connected to the pc

Remember the pay app is better, but the free one works as well.

If there are any questions regarding this post feel free to contact me...

and again:

peace out fabsau
How to mount your external card on /sdcard/external_sd instead of /emmc/ on CM9
Original Post
Ok guys, after a lot of people were complaining about that the external sd card is now mounted as emmc (including me), I searched a little bit in the forum and I want to share what I´ve found!

Tintenfisch wrote a nice tutorial to make you happy, I tested it and it is working.
Tutorial
Just do what he say and you will be able to use your sd-card as external sd-card
(I activated "Alternate dbase mgmt", because tintenfisch it is recommending it, then I deactivated "Handle USB Connection")

Hoped I helped some people, if there are any questions regarding this post feel free to contact me!

peace out fabsau
How to add toggles on your notifaction bar
Original Post

1. Enter the settings
2. Click on System
3. Click on Notification Drawer
4. Click on Widget buttons and select your toggles
Credits:
KeksKlip - For the root
manveru0 - For the clockworkmod
Skywalker01 - For making big improvements in this forum (and later for the new clockworkmod)
All people which gave me this knowledge!! ♥
All other Devs that are working hard just to make US happy!!!!
Other Threads:
Index
Wiki
Quick-Flasher

Please remember that the Quickflasher is very noobfriendly and easy to use, but in my opinion you should use this tool if you know how to do the usual way (like it is here explained)

Last edited:

fabsau

Dec 3, 2011
Frankfurt
Screenshots

Buttons:
Samsung_Galaxy_S_buttons.png
Download mode:
Samsung+Galaxy+S+Plus+I9001+Download+Mode+button.jpg
Odin (Ready for flashing):
Odin.png

Last edited:

rayiskon

Jan 9, 2011
Hm.. don't you need exactly the same ROM version of what your phone was before flashing or what your carrier offered you with KIES?

some people buy their phone as sim unlocked (not carrier related) , and those are usually shipped with one of the stock roms available on sammobile . for the rest of us who got their phone with carrier bloatware, we need to have a backup of that stock rom.
as for this thread, although i support any help for people who are starting with android or are new to the device, but i pretty much don't see something that is not covered in the wiki. (not hating, just saying).

Reactions: alat

fabsau

Dec 3, 2011
Frankfurt
some people buy their phone as sim unlocked (not carrier related) , and those are usually shipped with one of the stock roms available on sammobile . for the rest of us who got their phone with carrier bloatware, we need to have a backup of that stock rom.
as for this thread, although i support any help for people who are starting with android or are new to the device, but i pretty much don't see something that is not covered in the wiki. (not hating, just saying).
I get your point and I understand you completly, but like I said in the thread more things will come...

You enter STOCK RECOVERY by pressing vol up and power, and then MENU, not just vol up + power :D
Well I just descriped how to enter in the stock recovery, but I forgot to say how to "activate" it. so your I will add the menu-button thing

http://xdaforums.com/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S_Plus/GT-I9001 don`t forget to add 9001`s wiki page ;) you can put it on top of your tutorial because LOTS of ppl don`t read it

This is a good idea I will do this...

Can someone explain how to restore the warranty because I´m the opinion that every stock-rom is enough. (I will ask some friends too)

Last edited:

chasemyass

Dec 21, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra

Can someone explain how to restore the warranty because I´m the opinion that every stock-rom is enough. (I will ask some friends too)

it`s written on wiki and actually is pretty simple ;) just wrote down what ROM you got on your brand new SGS+, then download the correct version of it from web and put it safe....just in case you need it ;)

fabsau

Dec 3, 2011
Frankfurt
so guys added a lot of new things! few guides are under construction and I have to rework 7. point but I think I will finish this project on the 08 april, so stay tuned =)

Last edited:
Reactions: consciyash

Chicane301

Aug 7, 2009
unable to update after flashing custom rom

I'm having this problem: after flashing a custom rom from sammobile I'n unable to update in KIES. The strange thing is that I get for example XXXKQ7/DBTKP2/XXKPK/ and then the last numbers are of the firmware that previous was on the phone. I think I am doing something wrong but I simply don't know what. Can anyone give me a sollution for this.

chasemyass

Dec 21, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I'm having this problem: after flashing a custom rom from sammobile I'n unable to update in KIES. The strange thing is that I get for example XXXKQ7/DBTKP2/XXKPK/ and then the last numbers are of the firmware that previous was on the phone. I think I am doing something wrong but I simply don't know what. Can anyone give me a sollution for this.

Kies won`t let you upgrade everything ... the CSC code it`s the main rom chooser then. And not all released stocks are available to upgrade using Kies on ANY other stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I´m not responsible for what you do! This guide could “destroy” your phone if you do something different how it is explained!!!
    I do not have any claim of fullness! If here should be any mistakes feel free to correct me!

Hi folks
    I saw that here is missing a basic guide for our device, then I noticed that we have get a lot of new members, too!
    This guide will be so noobfriendly that even my grandmother will understand it ;)
    I will try to answer here every question and I will add it then to the front page. I will answer very kindly, too! So feel free to ask everything =)

Please follow each step, don´t skip any step and do all exactly how I explain it...

Must haves:
    Following things are must haves for every I9001 phone. In this guide I will explain how to get them on YOUR phone.
    Most things will be installed automated by a installation of a custom rom, which is then more easily for you to get them!
    Busybox
    USB-Debugging
    Clockworkmod
    Root
    Deodex
    1. Basics:
    About Roms:
    What is a Rom:
    The whole system of your phone is a rom. Windows 7 is a Rom for your computer (just a metaphor)
    A rom contains different sections:
    boot.img (kernel)
    system.img (the main-system)
    recovery.img (recovery mode)cache.img (caches)
    Stock-Rom:
    The Stock-Rom is the system which Samsung is delivering to the store. Samsung built this rom from the google sources and changed android they way they like it.
    The stock-rom is the original rom of your phone!
    You can find a lot of stock roms in the Index or just here in the dev forum
    Custom-Rom:
    A custom-rom is a modified rom which has different improvements. The base can be of a stock rom or it is an AOSP-Rom.
    You can find a lot of custom roms here in the forum or just visit the Index

AOSP-Rom:
    This is a Custom-Rom too, but the base is built from the sources of Google. The advantages are that there is not any garbage, it is more stable and it has more functionality. But the disadvantage is that it is hard to build and it will take long time for being bug free.
    Basic knowledge:
    What are Tweaks:
    Tweaks are changing values in the system. Tweaks ussually improves the whole system
    Kernel Description:
    The Kernel is a piece of software which controls everything on your system.
    The kernel controls the cpu with the governor. The governor decides the behavior of the cpu, like when the cpu has to be on the max. clock or when it has to be on the min. clock.
    The kernel controls the ram and sd-card behavior with the scheduler. The scheduler decides how long a process should be saved in the ram and it influences the sd-card read and write speed.
    The kernel controls the voltage of the battery on a specific cpu clock, too
    The kernels which are offered here are oc (overclocked), UV (under volted), they add new governors and scheduler and the add the init.d support.
    Init.d makes it possible to launch tweaks at the boot of the phone if they are in the init.d folder (system/etc/init.d).
    A description of governors and scheduler are here and here
    You can change the governor and scheduler with AnTuTu CPU Master
    I recommend strongly to change the kernel because it improves your system immense, but in the other hand the car cardle will not work anymore with these kernels.
    Only Stock Kernel and the stock kernel with init.d support the car cardle
    At the moment are following kernel popular:
    Skyhigh
    Feamod
    Vitality
    Stock Kernel with Init.d - KQ7
    Bloadware:
    Bloadware are apps which nobody needs. Samsung implement them in their stock roms. When they are removed there will be more free space for other apps and more ram will be available
    Brick:
    Your phone is bricked when it can not boot anymore.
    There are two types bricks
    Soft Brick:
    When your phone is soft bricked it can cause a boot-loop (the reboot-procedure begins always as new) or your phone will stick in the boot.
    Soft bricks happen often by installing themes over a odex system (more informations in the 8. point)
    You can solve soft bricks easily by installing a new rom with the clockworkmod or with odin (more informations in the 2. point)
    Hard Brick:
    When your phone is hard bricked it will not do anything. You will not be able to enter the clockworkmod or the downloadmode!
    Hard bricks often happen by flashing roms of other phones or flashing bad custom roms (at the moment there aren´t any "bad" customs roms for our device)
    You can solve SOMETIMES a hard brick with a JTAG. If the jtag could not help you have to send your phone to samsung for a expensive repair
    Batterly life:
    You can improve your battery life by changing the governor, the scheduler, turning off gps, bluetooth, wi-fi and by changing the brightness of your display.
    You can improve your battery life too by changing the max. and min. clock of your cpu. But here is to say you have to find your personal middle way of performance and battery life settings.
    Wipe:
    A wipe is when you delete everything on your phone. It has the same meaning as "format" and "delete". How to wipe your phone is explained in the 6. point
    Other Settings:
    Animations:
    In the default settings the animations are diactivated, but they look so nice that you have to activate them :D. If you want for example the old screen off you have to activate the animations.
    How to activate animations:
    1. Enter in the settings of your smart-phone
    2. Select "display"
    3. Choose "animation"
    4. Choose "all animations"
    Wi-Fi troubles:
    If you face Wi-Fi troubles could this method solve your problems
    2. Choose "Wirelless and network"
    3. Choose "Wi-Fi settings"
    4. Press the Menu-Button
    5. Choose "Advanced"
    6. Activate "use static IP"
    Busybox:
    Busybox is a collection of commands and functions for every android phone. Some custom roms will even not be working properly without Busybox! Normally Busybox will be installed automated by a custom rom installation , but if not you can install the .zip in the post #3 through Clockworkmod (detailed explanation for installing .zips with clockworkmod are in the 2. Point)

USB Settings:
    What is USB-Debugging:
    USB-Debugging is a function of Android. If it is enabled you will be able to use adb. Make sure that you have it always enabled because you will need it often and by the way it does not have any disadvantages
    What is adb:
    adb means: Android Debug Bridge
    With adb you can change/edit/install files on your phone with your computer. Broodplank1337 made a big configurator which can do incredible things!
    Configurator
    How To use Adb is explained in this Tutorial
    How to enable USB-Debugging:
    2. Enter in the “Applications”
    3. Enter in “Development”
    4. Enable “USB-Debugging”
    How to copy files on your internal SD card:
    1. Make sure that you´ve got at least installed the USB Driver if not download them from the download section (if you have installed kies you got the USB Driver installed too)
    2. Make sure that you have enabled USB-Debugging in the Settings of your phone
    3. Connect now your device with your computer with the usb-wire
    4. Now just pull down your status bar and select the usb notification then you choose "connect storage to PC"
    5. Now you can copy files on your internal SD-card
    6. Your internal SD-card is the storage with 5 GB
    2. How to install every Rom/Kernel/Recovery/Mod:
    General
    If it is a zip file you have to install it with Clockworkmod Recovery. If it is a .tar or a .tar.md5 file you have to install it with Odin!
    Odin:
    What is Odin:
    Odin is a program on windows where you can install custom roms and kernel during your phone is in the Download Mode. To use Odin you need the AriesVE.ops and the kernel or custom rom you want to install.
    What is the Download Mode:
    When you phone is in the Download Mode you will be able to flash kernel, roms, new recovery modes with Odin. You can only exit the Download Mode by taking of the battery or when odin finished flashing!
    How to get in the Download Mode:
    2. Press the Home-button + volume-down + power button until there is an android icon
    Installing Custom Roms and Kernels with Odin
    1. Download:
      • Odin
      • AriesVE
    2. Start Odin.exe
    3. Press on "OPS" and choose the AriesVE.ops
    4. Activate the Option "One Package"
    5. Click on "One Package" and select the .tar or .tar.md5 file
    6. Put your phone in to the download mode
    7. Connect your phone with the usb-wire
    8. Press "Start" in Odin
    9. Wait until your phone reboots automatically
    Recovery-Mode:
    What is the Recovery Mode:
    The Recovery Mode is like the BIOS of your computer. There you can manage your phone easily. The Stock Recovery Mode does not have a lot of functions, because of this there were made new recovery mode by good devs. A better recovery mode is the clockworkmod
    What is the clockworkmod:
    The clockworkmod is actually the most popular recovery mode. At the moment it is the most stable one, too
    Other expressions for "clockworkmod":
    "CWM"
    "Recovery Mode"
    "feamod"
    What are the differences between Stock-Recovery Mod and Clockworkmod:
    With the stock Recovery Mod you can just make a Factory Reset and install simple zip files. You will not be able to install custom roms!
    With the clockworkmod you can backup, restore and format your system and install any custom rom
    Do I need the Clockworkmod:
    Yes it is a must have, you will not be able to install any custom rom or other mods
    How to get in the stock-Recovery Mode:
    3. When you see a Box with an android icon press once the menu button to be able to use it
    How to navigate in stock Recovery Mode:
    • Navigating:
      Volume Up/Down
    • Selecting:
      Home-Button
    How to install the Clockworkmod:
    1. Download:
      • AriesVE
      • Odin
      • FeaModRecovery 1.2
    2. Enter the Download Mod
    3. Now start Odin
    4. Select as always AriesVE.ops as ops file
    5. Then activate “one package” option in Odin and choose as “one package” “FeaModRecovery_1.2.tar.md5”
    6. Press "Start" and wait until your phone reboots
    How to get in the Clockworkmod:
    How to navigate in Clockworkmod:
    • Navigating:
      Volume Up/Down
    • Selecting:
      Menu-Button
    • Back:
      Back-Button
    What is "mounting":
    If you mount something you will be able to edit/delete/add files to your system. Developer always recommend to mount /system before installing a mod, because if you don´t do it the mod will not be installed successfully
    How can I mount /system:
    2. Choose "mounts and storage"
    3. Choose "mount /system"
    It works with /data , /cache , /efs , /emmc , /sdcard ,too
    How to install Custom Roms/Kernel/Recovery/Mods with the Clockworkmod:
    1. Put the zip file on your external-card in a folder (Do not put it in a folder with starting with a ".")
    2. Enter in the Clockworkmod
    3. Choose “install zip from sdcard”
    4. Choose “choose zip from sdcard”
    5. Choose the .zip file and install it
    6. Reboot
    3. Root:
    What is a Root:
    You can compare "Root" with the "admin" on your computer or with a “Jailbreak” for Apple products. If you have "root" you can modify all on your system. If you have installed root there will be no more borders.
    Other expressions for "root":
    "superuser""su"
    What can I do exactly with a Root:
    Firstly you can backup your apps (will explain this later more precise)
    You can change the cpu frequency (cpu=processor an electronic circuit which executes computer programs)
    You can run every app which needs root access
    Does the root pay up:
    Yes it does because it is the first border to cross for having the best of your phone
    How to install Root with Clockworkmod:
    2. Put the root.zip on your external-sd-card in a folder (Do not put it in a folder with starting with a ".")
    3. Enter the Clockworkmod
    4. Choose "install zip from sdcard"
    5. Choose "choose zip from sdcard"
    6. Choose the root.zip and install it
    7. Reboot your phone
    How to install Root with stock Recovery:
    2. Put it on your internal SD card. Please just copy it on your SD-card and NOT in any folder
    3. Enter in the stock Recovery Mod
    4. Then you choose “apply update” and you choose the root.zip and install it
    5. Reboot then your Phone by choosing “rebooting”
    How to Unroot:
    1. Download the "unroot.zip" from post#3
    2. Put the .zip on your external-sdcard in a folder
    3. Enter in the clockworkmod/stock recovery mode
    4. Install it like you installed the root.zip
    4. How to Backup:
    There are two ways of backing up your data.
    1. With Titanium Backup:
      Titanium Backup is an app which will only backup your apps
      Titanium Backup is a free app but I recommend only the pro version, because the free is too slow
      Your backup will be saved on you internal-card in:
      /titanium backup/
    2. With Clockworkmod:
      With the clockworkmod you can backup your apps and your whole system with all settings. I prefer this method because it is simple and secure...
    How to Backup in CWM:
    3. Select “backup” and enjoy your backup
    Your backup will be saved on your external-card in:
    /clockworkmod/backup/
    5. Restore:

How to restore the whole system:
    3. Select “restore” and choose the date of your backup
    How to restore only apps:
    Before restoring you should always format your device! How to format is explained in the next point!
    3. Select “advanced restore”
    4. Choose the date of the backup
    5. Choose “data”
    6. How to format:
    Do this every time before flashing a stock- or custom-rom!
    Attention!
    You will delete everything on your phone! Your phone will not even be able to boot! Only Clockworkmod and the Download-Mode will be left! (Your SIM-Card will be untouched)
    Please make sure that you saved only your backups on another device before formatting your phone (like on your computer)
    This is the best method for using the full experience of every custom rom! I recommend this method because in the past a lot of users had issues with custom roms. They had installed a lot of different custom roms before and they didn´t format their phone correctly before flashing the new rom. This caused a lot of problems
    2. Choose "advanced"
    3. Choose "Wipe Dalvik Cache"
    4. Go back to the main-menu by pressing the back button
    5. Choose “Mounts and storage”
    6. Select all after all
      • Format /system
      • Format /cache
      • Format /data
      • (Format /emmc)
      • (Format /sdcard)
        Formating "emmc" and "sdcard" is not a duty! You will need it if you installed a mod on your internal or in your external card
    7. Warranty:
    What makes your warranty dissapear:
    • Root
    • Clockworkmod
    • Custom-Rom
    • Other Kernel
    How to restore your warranty:
    You can restore warranty easily, you have just to flash the stock-rom which was on your device when you bought it. If you not remember which stock-rom you had installed as first visit Sammobile and search for I9001. Download the stock-rom which is for your country, flash it with odin and you will have your warranty back :)
    (For using the Search you have to Regist on Sammobile)
    8. Deodex(ADVANCED):
    What is Odex:
    All apps are at the beginning odexed. Odex means that the apps are actually "packed". When the apps are odex it is more difficult to modify them.
    What is Deodex:
    Deodexing apps means that you are "unpacking" the apps. When you deodex your apps you will be able to modify them. A deodexed Rom belongs to basic because you will need it for installing a theme or other mods.
    Deodexing your rom will not cause any disadvantages
    How to Deodex:
    Requierments:
    Root
    Busybox
    Java SDK (Download is in the post #3)
    USB-Debugging
    xUltimate-v2.3.3 (Download is in the post #3)
    1. Connect your phone with the usb-wire
    2. Extract xUltimate-v2.3.3.zip
    3. Start the "Test.exe"
      Following must be in the command prompt:
      • adb = PASS!
      • odex = PASS!
      • zip = PASS!
      • busybox = PASS!
      • java = PASS!
      • temp = PASS!
      • deodex = SKIP!
      • redex = SKIP!
      If something is different please do not deodex you phone because you will fail. If it all matches do following things:
    4. Start the "Main.exe"
    5. Press "1"
    6. When it is finished press please "2"
    7. Enter the folder "origi_app" and delete following files:
      • Maps.apk
      • Maps.odex
      • Phonesky.apk
      • Phonesky.odex
      • PlusOne.apk
      • PlusOne.odex
    8. Enter again xUltimate-v2.3.3 and press please "3"
    9. When it is finished press please "4"
    10. After it is finished start the Deodex.bat (big thanks to nikagl for the commands)
    11. After the automated reboot your phone should be successful deodexed
    To check if youre phone is deodexed just run again the "Test.exe" and under the point "deodex" should be "PASS!" or under the point "odex" should be "FAIL!"
    Other Tutorials:
    How to install CM9 by Arco (alpha2):
    Original Post

This tutorial only works if you have installed a custom recovery! How to install a custom recovery (clockworkmod) is explained in the Starter-Guide.

Please make sure that your phone is formated before doing this! How to format is explained in the Starter-Guide ,too.

1. Download please CM9 by arco
    2. Unrar
    3. Put the folder "2012-05-12.19.54.06" in "clockworkmod/backup" (internal or external is equal)
    4. Put your phone in the recovery-mode
    5. choose "backup and restore"
    6. choose "restore" or "restore from external card"
    7. choose "2012-05-12.19.54.06" and confirm
    8. reboot

Do following if you do NOT have installed the Clockworkmod by Arco!

9. Download Arco´s Clockworkmod
    10. Put your phone into download mode
    11. Start Odin
    12. Select the ops file
    13. Check "one package" and select as "one package" "recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.4-ariesve.tar.md5"
    14. Press "Start"
    How To Connect both Storages at the same time on pc with CM9:
    Original Post
    So found an other solution where people were complainig off!

First big thanks to Campi1995 who tested it as well

So the problem was following:
    people were not able to connect two storages at the same time with their computer and I found an interesting app in the market, it is called Multi Mount Sd-card

For mounting both storages do follwing things:

Install Multi Mount Sd-card
    Add the Widget off the app on any homescreen (in the app drawer, you can add widget)
    Connect your phone with the usb-wire
    Click once at the widget (it should get green)
    and BUUUUFF both is connected to the pc

Remember the pay app is better, but the free one works as well.

If there are any questions regarding this post feel free to contact me...

and again:

peace out fabsau
    How to mount your external card on /sdcard/external_sd instead of /emmc/ on CM9
    Original Post
    Ok guys, after a lot of people were complaining about that the external sd card is now mounted as emmc (including me), I searched a little bit in the forum and I want to share what I´ve found!

Tintenfisch wrote a nice tutorial to make you happy, I tested it and it is working.
    Tutorial
    Just do what he say and you will be able to use your sd-card as external sd-card
    (I activated "Alternate dbase mgmt", because tintenfisch it is recommending it, then I deactivated "Handle USB Connection")

Hoped I helped some people, if there are any questions regarding this post feel free to contact me!

peace out fabsau
    How to add toggles on your notifaction bar
    Original Post

1. Enter the settings
    2. Click on System
    3. Click on Notification Drawer
    4. Click on Widget buttons and select your toggles
    Credits:
    KeksKlip - For the root
    manveru0 - For the clockworkmod
    Skywalker01 - For making big improvements in this forum (and later for the new clockworkmod)
    All people which gave me this knowledge!! ♥
    All other Devs that are working hard just to make US happy!!!!
    Other Threads:
    Index
    Wiki
    Quick-Flasher

Please remember that the Quickflasher is very noobfriendly and easy to use, but in my opinion you should use this tool if you know how to do the usual way (like it is here explained)
    Screenshots

Buttons:
    Samsung_Galaxy_S_buttons.png
    Download mode:
    Samsung+Galaxy+S+Plus+I9001+Download+Mode+button.jpg
    Odin (Ready for flashing):
    Odin.png
    Status of the Guide

So guys before I will make a big break because of exams, I redesigned the front page!!!
    Hope it looks better!
    After my big break I will add new things and rewrite some tutorials and update some stuff...
    This break means that I will not be able to answer PM anymore, too!!!
    My big break will be like 2 weeks, tops 3 weeks. So expect my Guide 2.0 :)D) in the end of may... (NOT PROMISED!)

stay tuned fabsau :)

EDIT 1:
    SORRY GUYS, I WAS ILL FOR TWO WEEKS AND MISSED THEREFORE 4 EXAMS, THIS EXAMS I HAVE TO REPEAT, SO I WILL BE NOT ABLE TO RESTART ON 11 MAY (LIKE EXPECTED) WITH THIS GUIDE!!!

I will release the the improoved guide TOPS on 8 July (why on 8 July? I will explain this when the time is ready for it :) )
    I get your point and I understand you completly, but like I said in the thread more things will come...

You enter STOCK RECOVERY by pressing vol up and power, and then MENU, not just vol up + power :D
    Well I just descriped how to enter in the stock recovery, but I forgot to say how to "activate" it. so your I will add the menu-button thing

http://xdaforums.com/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S_Plus/GT-I9001 don`t forget to add 9001`s wiki page ;) you can put it on top of your tutorial because LOTS of ppl don`t read it