[HOWTO] Revive a bricked P500 on fastboot mode (the SHORT way)

Search This thread

kitu34

Oct 21, 2012
New Delhi,INDIA
I am a Newbie

I did not understand completely.I downloaded SDK but does it have fastboot exe, what is cd, commands from where? Where is the recovery image,in sd card?

firdyRAY

Dec 27, 2012
Singapore
My phone is not rooted but it's stuck on LG screen for the past few days.
So i decided to root.

I pressed (Home+VolUp+On) and it shows

Fastboot mode started
udc_start()

Plugged in the USB and it on show suspend.

Does that mean i can't use this method?

hristodipchikov

Feb 2, 2012
Plovdiv
My phone is not rooted but it's stuck on LG screen for the past few days.
So i decided to root.

I pressed (Home+VolUp+On) and it shows

Fastboot mode started
udc_start()

Plugged in the USB and it on show suspend.

Does that mean i can't use this method?

Your phone isn't bricked.
1.Download KDZ Updater and LG united mobile drivers
2.Dsable all LGE modems under modems from windows device manager.
3.Download the stock firmware
4.If your phone is stuck at fastboot mode started udc_start() screen, then remove the battery and reinsert it. Now press the back key and volume up button and simultaneously connect your phone to your PC. You will get a greenish yellow screen saying Emergency mode.
5.Run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe
6.Select Type as 3GQCT and select Phone Mode "Emergency"
7.Select the Firmware
8.Press Launch software update
9.Wait to Finish.

Reactions: mns123

Blackdavid

Dec 12, 2012
Umag
I have a problem. I did the same as you did, but now when the phone rebooted I got a white screen with purple dots, and the phone is rebooting constantly when it comes to the ''LG '' screen!! Help me please!!!

akki9326

Jul 7, 2012
Please Help Me

I tried to do as you show in your post

But in my phone, it only shows That Fastboot : processing commands and in my pc : "Waiting for device" Nothing else is showing please help me regarding this problem i thing its totally brick..
and one more thing i also tried for emergency mode but i was unable to start emergency mode ? please help me .. Thanks is advance

arvinoids

Jul 12, 2010
Cebu
Hello! Unfortunately I no longer have the O1, so I will not be able to replicate the issue. Note though that this is just a short method. You can always try doing the long method of flashing the entire firmware. As long as the computer can detect your phone, you should be fine.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

OMIGHTY1

Oct 27, 2012
Out of Space

When I try to flash the recovery, I get an Out of Space error on the phone. What could be done to remedy this?

Apr 11, 2015
Cebu
The usual DISCLAIMER: Use at your own risk!

Fastboot mode usually comes up if something went wrong when trying to flash a recovery image, for example when flashing AmonRa recovery or ClockWorkMod. It happened to me several times so I tried to learn to revive it without reflashing the original firmware. Note: This tutorial works only if recovery is the only one broken. (If the ROM itself is broken, then that's a subject for another tut.) In this case, the most logical thing to do is just reflash the recovery image. So how do you do it in fastboot mode? Here's how:

Symptom
You tried flashing a custom recovery like ClockWorkMod or Thunderg, or you flashed an incorrect ROM, and when you rebooted, it showed this screen:

Code:
fastboot mode started
udc_start()

and the phone stays there. When you plugin the phone to your computer's USB, it is detected and the screen has this display:

Code:
fastboot mode started
udc.start()
-- suspend --
-- reset --
-- portchange --
-- reset --
-- portchange --

You will need
1) Your PC and your USB cable for the phone
2) USB drivers for your phone (use B2C from LG).
3) Android SDK (download from here)
4) Java, required to run the SDK (but right now I am not sure if this is required to run fastboot!)
5) ClockWorkMod or AmonRa Recovery.

Here's what to do
1) Assuming phone is turned on in fastboot mode, plug it in to the USB of your PC. You will know that it is detected if you see the the lines "suspend", "reset" and whatnot on the phone's screen.
2) Extract the recovery image from the zipfile downloaded from step#5 above (e.g. LGp500-recovery-v12.img). Place the image file in the same folder where fastboot.exe is (usually in the tools\ folder in the SDK). For your convenience, rename the img file as recovery.img
3) Fire up your command prompt and cd to the directory where fastboot.exe is located. Then type the following command:
Code:
fastboot erase recovery
Once you get the confirmation that it was successful, type this:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Once you get the success confirmation, reboot the phone, or you can also type (optional):
Code:
fastboot reboot

The phone will reboot itself, and with any luck you should be able to go back to your same old Android bootscreen. Note that no settings were modified here, so this is extremely useful for those who do not want a clean slate after a fastboot nightmare.

Also, note that if this is successful, you can now boot to recovery with the usual button-combos, thus enabling you to flash ROMs and other recovery zips.

Note: On some SDK versions, fastboot may not be included. For your convenience, I have attached the fastboot binary I got from my downloaded SDK. I have also attached AdbWinApi.dll which some user reported is missing in the SDK. Place the DLL in the same folder where fastboot.exe is located.

Questions, just drop me a line here ;)

gaw taga cebu ka gaw?? swetoha nimo aning nin.ani uie add ko facebook beh magpatudlo ta ko nimo plss?

arvinoids

Jul 12, 2010
Cebu
Sorry all, I didn't realize this thread was still alive. I am now using another phone, but if help is needed, perhaps we can do something about it. I am thinking of going back to LG. Best dev phones. No problem reviving from bricked state at all.:)

Sorry all, I didn't realize this thread was still alive. I am now using another phone, but if help is needed, perhaps we can do something about it. I am thinking of going back to LG. Best dev phones. No problem reviving from bricked state at all.:)

Have you thought about getting the oneplus one? .. Lots going on over there.. Excellent dev support..

kitu34

Oct 21, 2012
New Delhi,INDIA
I always get fastboot when I try to go into recovery using three buttons. Maybe I press or release wrongly, but I just remove battery and try again and it works.

Sent from my LG-P500 using XDA Free mobile app

ibub

Oct 22, 2012
Louisville,Ky
I always get fastboot when I try to go into recovery using three buttons. Maybe I press or release wrongly, but I just remove battery and try again and it works.

Sent from my LG-P500 using XDA Free mobile app

Key combination for fastboot is "home " and "power" buttons, so you probably didn't have "volume down" pressed all the way. Or maybe the button is getting worn out.

Sent from my LGL34C using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: kitu34

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The usual DISCLAIMER: Use at your own risk!

Fastboot mode usually comes up if something went wrong when trying to flash a recovery image, for example when flashing AmonRa recovery or ClockWorkMod. It happened to me several times so I tried to learn to revive it without reflashing the original firmware. Note: This tutorial works only if recovery is the only one broken. (If the ROM itself is broken, then that's a subject for another tut.) In this case, the most logical thing to do is just reflash the recovery image. So how do you do it in fastboot mode? Here's how:

Symptom
    You tried flashing a custom recovery like ClockWorkMod or Thunderg, or you flashed an incorrect ROM, and when you rebooted, it showed this screen:

Code:
    fastboot mode started
    udc_start()

and the phone stays there. When you plugin the phone to your computer's USB, it is detected and the screen has this display:

Code:
    fastboot mode started
    udc.start()
    -- suspend --
    -- reset --
    -- portchange --
    -- reset --
    -- portchange --

You will need
    1) Your PC and your USB cable for the phone
    2) USB drivers for your phone (use B2C from LG).
    3) Android SDK (download from here)
    4) Java, required to run the SDK (but right now I am not sure if this is required to run fastboot!)
    5) ClockWorkMod or AmonRa Recovery.

Here's what to do
    1) Assuming phone is turned on in fastboot mode, plug it in to the USB of your PC. You will know that it is detected if you see the the lines "suspend", "reset" and whatnot on the phone's screen.
    2) Extract the recovery image from the zipfile downloaded from step#5 above (e.g. LGp500-recovery-v12.img). Place the image file in the same folder where fastboot.exe is (usually in the tools\ folder in the SDK). For your convenience, rename the img file as recovery.img
    3) Fire up your command prompt and cd to the directory where fastboot.exe is located. Then type the following command:
    Code:
    fastboot erase recovery
    Once you get the confirmation that it was successful, type this:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    Once you get the success confirmation, reboot the phone, or you can also type (optional):
    Code:
    fastboot reboot

The phone will reboot itself, and with any luck you should be able to go back to your same old Android bootscreen. Note that no settings were modified here, so this is extremely useful for those who do not want a clean slate after a fastboot nightmare.

Also, note that if this is successful, you can now boot to recovery with the usual button-combos, thus enabling you to flash ROMs and other recovery zips.

Note: On some SDK versions, fastboot may not be included. For your convenience, I have attached the fastboot binary I got from my downloaded SDK. I have also attached AdbWinApi.dll which some user reported is missing in the SDK. Place the DLL in the same folder where fastboot.exe is located.

Questions, just drop me a line here ;)
    Nice tutorial for newbies like me, thanks...

Sent from my LG-P500 using XDA Premium App
    We already have a tut like this.
    @arvinoids
    Good tutorial, but you forgot to say that LG USB drivers are needed and that fastboot.exe must be downloaded before (it's no more included in android SDK)
    thanks man ;)

You are right! I should add that here. Also, I got the latest SDK to verify and found fastboot.exe under the "tools" folder. Can tell me which SDK version you downloaded?
    nothing.... just it stucks on LG Logo...

That's really a very ambiguous issue you are having there. If recovery was damaged, you would not have been able to boot to the LG logo, and you would get the fastboot mode. The combo button you tried was volume down + Home + Power on? Note that on a phone without a custom recovery installed this would just restore the phone to factory defaults and reboots it.