Not so brief comparison of S5 vs M8 (downloadable spreadsheet)

Search This thread

mswlogo

Dec 15, 2004
Boston
@mswlogo, how is the s5 treating you?

Not good. I'm sick of the S5 and just bought a shiny new M8 HK.

I thought I'd get used to the Samsung Software. I still hate it.

Since no phone properly knows how and when to use Hands Free Protocol vs AD2P Bluetooth I have to shut AD2P Off on all phones so I can hear Nav instructions and have the car radio on.
If you shut AD2P off on the S5 it constantly puts up Error Messages. Eventually if you do want AD2P and try to turn it on, you can't and you have to unpair and repair again.

The S5 Camera is great. The stock camera App is terrible as is all Samsung Apps. What drives me crazy is Video. If you record Landscape it wants to play back portrait. If you record portrait it wants to play landscape. Not many PC apps will play the native S5 Videos. I always have to convert them. Camera Stills rotation works fine.

I will miss the quality of the camera itself, it's extremely good. And I like the weight and aspect ratio and wireless charging.

The ROM development is nothing like HTC. SVN, what's that?

The Stock Samgsung Browser is a Joke. I've been getting by Opera Beta, but still prefer HTC Stock Browser.
I've tried everyone out there. Only Opera Beta and HTC know how to fit text properly.

Lot of calls go straight to Voice Mail. Although that has been better lately. And that may not be entirely the phone.
I've been having weird issues in the car where the Radio will come back on (like it dropped the call), but the call is still active and then it comes back and if the other person was talking they never knew anything happened !!!

If I could get free wifi tether on an iPhone6 without Jailbreaking I'd probably get a iPhone6.

If not for OMJ's and Captain and a few others I probably would have just stayed with S5. S5 and M8 are still the top two phones.

I don't use any of the Samsung gadgets. Never even was tempted to try them once.

The lock screen is messed up and would constantly be running apps in my pocket. Finally had to add a passcode. Even with that it's still running apps in my pocket !!

I really miss blinkfeed. The S5 magazine is ok, but blink feed is way better. My wife loves it on her M7, shes always in it.

I was almost tempted to buy another M7. That was a great phone. But I do like the better LTE performance on both M8 and S5.

I didn't miss the M8 speakers, I thought I would, but I sure will be happy to have them back.
My only dread is going back to the lack luster M8 camera.

The S5 needs to reboot if you want to change CMDA vs LTE and I think it wants to reboot on Roam Only.

The Recovery TWRP is very weak lots of issues.

Once S5 is rooted there is NO WAY to hide it. Your totally screwed on warranty. At least with S-OFF you can hide it was rooted to bring it in.

I hope next year is better but I can't stay with S5 that long.

Every time I've posted an issue or complaint it gets closed or moved to some subforum that nobody responds to.
Like a thread like this one would not survive.

Last edited:
Reactions: AarSyl

mswlogo

Dec 15, 2004
Boston
FYI, I've attached a new spreadsheet in the OP summarizing the differences for me after several months of S5.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I reformatted all the differences I see into a weighted Excel Spread Sheet.

Everyone will have their own weights.

So I attached the spread sheet for anyone to play with.

You can see why it's hard deciding between these two phones.

This is not putting down either phone. Just helping folks decide what's best for them. I own both phones.

Here is a crude view of the spread sheet.

Note: I have a Weight then a score for each phone, then I calculate a weighted value for each and then add it all up.

Code:
    Feature               Weight S5 S5 Weighted  M8  M8 Weighted  Comments
    Camera                     10  5          50   5           50 Equal but different until more testing
    Speakers                    6  6          36  10           60 No brainer but not critical in practice
    Form Factor                10  7          70   6           60 M8 too heavy and tall
    Staying Pristine            7  7          49   7           49 S5 Plastic Can Dent Scratch, M8 Speaker Grills Easily Clog
    Serviceable                 5  7          35   3           15 S5 Removable Back, User Replaceable Battery
    Stock Browser              10  6          60   9           90 HTC Knows how to wrap text on double tap Zoom
    Launcher                    5  5          25   7           35 Slight Edge to M8 Sense 6 (this is just the launcher)
    Setup/Quick Settings        7  4          28   8           56 M8/Sense allows both extensive and toggle in the same shortcut
    Reliability                10  8          80   4           40 Too many failing M8's
    Signal Strength/Stabil     10  7          70   7           70 Indistinguishable
    Restore Stock              10  5          50   9           90 M8 with S-OFF can be made Factory or Look Factory
    Boot loader Unlock         10  7          70   4           40 M8 requires signing release
    Blink feed                  5  4          20   8           40 S5 Magazine just doesn't compare with Blink feed
    USB Mass Storage           10  3          30  10          100 USB 3.0 not very useful without Mass Storage Mode
    USB 3.0                     5 10          50   0            0
    Water Resistant             7 10          70   4           28 M8 isn't exactly 0
    Wireless Charging           5  8          40   0            0 S5 offers an alternate back
    Headphone Jack Positio      4  8          32   5           20 M8 bottom, S5 Top
    Fingerprint reader          2 10          20   0            0
    Heart rate Monitor          0 10           0   0            0
    Pedometer                   2 10          20   0            0 M8 might be able to do this with 3rd party app, drain battery?
    Charging LED                1  7           7   4            4 M8 Charging LED is too small
    Microphone Quality          5  5          25   8           40 Not scientifically tested
    Internal SD Capacity        3  5          15   8           24 M8 has 32GB internal SD, S5 has 16GB (Sprint) for same price
    HTC Weather/Clock           3  5          15   8           24 M8 has more widgets, options and looks
    Look & Feel Software        5  5          25   9           45 M8 has a very business look and feel through out vs S5
    Vulnerability of Camer      5  5          25   7           35 M8 Camera is recessed, S5 protrudes
    Screen Quality             10 10         100  10          100 Both fantastic screens
    Nav Buttons                 5  8          40   5           25 S5 Dedicated, M8 on screen but well implemented
    Quality of Cable            3  5          15   7           21 Neither is great but S5 cable very stiff
    LED Flash                   4  5          20   8           32 M8 has dual color LED Flash (strong and helps white balance)
    IR emitter                  2 10          20   0            0 S5 Has IR Emitter and very flexible software to use it for controlling TV's
    Software from manufact      5  7          35   7           35 I'm going to assume RUU availability etc. are equal for now
    WIFI Hotspot with Root     10 10         100  10          100
    S-OFF-able                  0  5           0  10            0 M8 is usually S-OFF able which gives greater flexibility of Flashing Firmware (Dupe of Return to Stock)
    Stock Keyboard              3  8          24   6           18 S5 has very nice keyboard, but many swear by M8's Swipe
    Stock Malware               5  6          30   5           25 Slight edge to S5 for not hiding it as much as M8
    Bluetooth                  10  8          80   7           70 Slight edge to S5 for how it handles Voice Texting from Jeep Uconnect over M8 (even with S5 Nav sound g
    Harmon Kardon enhancem      2  0           0  10           20 Slight edge to M8 for this being available.
    Running Tasks Widget        2  8          16   5           10 There might be free widget that does the same, but it's nice S5 includes it from factory
    Windows Drivers             3  8          24   7           21 Slight Edge to S5 for clean standalone drivers straight from them
    Risk of Dropping            5  7          35   5           25 M8 heavy slick case more vulnerable to dropping vs textured S5
    Handling Off Peak Emai     10  9          90  10          100 Slight Edge to M8 because of how awkward it is to get too and how stupidly they named things
    Home Button                 3  7          21   8           24 Slight Edge to M8 for a normal home button, S5 can slow you down with it's clickable button
    USB Cover                   5  8          40   4           20 Slight edge to S5 to have this to protect this vulnerable socket for more than just water but very flim
    Gesture Wakeup              2  5          10   8           16 Might be doable on S5, I found M8 not reliable if you just turned it off it won't respond for few secon
    Total                                   1717             1677
    Equivalency                              98%             102%

Pool Shot Original Size (M8) https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2923/14171498751_83390f8f4c_o_d.jpg

Pool Shot Original Size (S5) https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2898/14020429360_456b4315ae_o_d.jpg

Dog Bed Original Size (M8) https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7329/14174807495_4fa6c37e44_o_d.jpg

Dog bed Original size (S5) https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2903/14206967964_654fb8ed09_o_d.jpg

EDIT: I've updated and uploaded a V2 of my Spreadsheet have several months with S5. I have not had a chance to edit the table above. I am switching back to an M8.
    I bought my own S5 and updated opening post.

So this is coming from someone that has owned a M8 since release day.

Sorry for the ugly formatting. No time to make it pretty.

I tried to hit on topics I never see in reviews.
    So just one thing... little thing... with taking pictures with an S5.

Having realtime HDR enabled will result (most times) in better images because you won't lose shadow or highlight detail as readily.

Also, zooming is utterly futile on any phone. All you're doing is cropping. Take the photo un-zoomed and then just crop it down later if you want to frame it differently. If you find you'e doing this a lot, enable weighted metering (it'll do the metering wherever you tap to focus) and this way the cropped image will be properly exposed in the area you want it to be.

The digital zoom on smartphones is nothing more than a low-res telescope for you to look at things closer. Using it taking pictures doesn't do anything.

This is going to change soon, we will start to see smartphones with optical zoom. Samsung has a camera out there with android and I believe it even has cell radios so you could use it as a phone... and it has a full telescoping zoom on it.

It's treating me good. I'm not gonna say is it's the holy grail over the M8. But I'm 99.9% sure I'll be keeping the S5.

Trying to find a black wireless charging back for it now.

I still prefer HTC Browser over any browser. Dolphin and Opera are close (but have other little glitchy annoyances). Samsung Browser is really not good for viewing some sites.

This link explains the problem.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...-webviews-in-kitkat-probably-not-coming-back/

Basically Google removed Text Reflow from Android as of KitKat. This effected many browsers which used what is call "WebView" API.

Some companies re-implemented Text Reflow, Some had their own version to begin with and others just let it disappear with release of KitKat.

Samsung let it disappear. HTC re-implemented it or always had their own version.

Only 3 browsers I have tried have it, HTC, Dolphin and Opera. AOSP, Chrome, Firefox, Samsung do not have Text Reflow any longer.

It's painful reading some sites without Text Reflow. XDA being one them (and the article I sighted above used XDA as example of the problem).

Not good. I'm sick of the S5 and just bought a shiny new M8 HK.

I thought I'd get used to the Samsung Software. I still hate it.

Since no phone properly knows how and when to use Hands Free Protocol vs AD2P Bluetooth I have to shut AD2P Off on all phones so I can hear Nav instructions and have the car radio on.
    If you shut AD2P off on the S5 it constantly puts up Error Messages. Eventually if you do want AD2P and try to turn it on, you can't and you have to unpair and repair again.

The S5 Camera is great. The stock camera App is terrible as is all Samsung Apps. What drives me crazy is Video. If you record Landscape it wants to play back portrait. If you record portrait it wants to play landscape. Not many PC apps will play the native S5 Videos. I always have to convert them. Camera Stills rotation works fine.

I will miss the quality of the camera itself, it's extremely good. And I like the weight and aspect ratio and wireless charging.

The ROM development is nothing like HTC. SVN, what's that?

The Stock Samgsung Browser is a Joke. I've been getting by Opera Beta, but still prefer HTC Stock Browser.
    I've tried everyone out there. Only Opera Beta and HTC know how to fit text properly.

Lot of calls go straight to Voice Mail. Although that has been better lately. And that may not be entirely the phone.
    I've been having weird issues in the car where the Radio will come back on (like it dropped the call), but the call is still active and then it comes back and if the other person was talking they never knew anything happened !!!

If I could get free wifi tether on an iPhone6 without Jailbreaking I'd probably get a iPhone6.

If not for OMJ's and Captain and a few others I probably would have just stayed with S5. S5 and M8 are still the top two phones.

I don't use any of the Samsung gadgets. Never even was tempted to try them once.

The lock screen is messed up and would constantly be running apps in my pocket. Finally had to add a passcode. Even with that it's still running apps in my pocket !!

I really miss blinkfeed. The S5 magazine is ok, but blink feed is way better. My wife loves it on her M7, shes always in it.

I was almost tempted to buy another M7. That was a great phone. But I do like the better LTE performance on both M8 and S5.

I didn't miss the M8 speakers, I thought I would, but I sure will be happy to have them back.
    My only dread is going back to the lack luster M8 camera.

The S5 needs to reboot if you want to change CMDA vs LTE and I think it wants to reboot on Roam Only.

The Recovery TWRP is very weak lots of issues.

Once S5 is rooted there is NO WAY to hide it. Your totally screwed on warranty. At least with S-OFF you can hide it was rooted to bring it in.

I hope next year is better but I can't stay with S5 that long.

Every time I've posted an issue or complaint it gets closed or moved to some subforum that nobody responds to.
    Like a thread like this one would not survive.