[Q] Transfering data to new phone

Search This thread

Xave1

Dec 31, 2013
London
Hi Peeps,
Could anybody help me with the following please?

I am trying to transfer some app data from my old Samsung phone to my new N5. The app is Driftwood Apps Stronglog. I have contacted the developer who has sent me the info below but I cannot find the file nor folder.

>>>>

Right now I don't have a way of transferring the database. However, the database file is located in data/data/workouts/workout.db if you can get write access to that directory you could copy that file over to your new phone

11/01/2014
To: driftwoodapps@gmail.com

Hi. I love your strong log app. I've just changed phones and would like to transfer the data from one to the other. Is this stored in a particular file please?

mr6

Oct 5, 2011
Directly copying just the workoutsDB.db to the appropriate place on the new phone, after Strong Log has been installed and launched once worked for me. (On a Moto Razr Maxx)

I tried it a few other ways without luck, but their dev emailed me these specific steps and it did the trick:
1. copy the original workoutsDB.db file somewhere
2. install Stong Log on the new device
3. open Strong Log (the schema for the database is created on initial opening of the app)
4. close app.
5. find the new workoutsDB.db file and delete it.
6. add the old workoutsDB.db and reopen the app.

Couple of notes:
A. On my phone the workoutsDB.db file lives in /data/data/com.driftwood.workouts/databases/. You need root to read and write to the /data directory.
B. The only file I replaced was the workoutsDB.db file. I left the workoutsDB.db-journal file, and the rest of the files that are created on first launch as they were after the first-launch.
C. I killed the Strong Log app after doing the first-launch of Strong Log and before replacing the workoutsDB.db. (May not matter but seemed safer to me.)
D. When you re-open Strong Log, it will still ask you for your birthday, but it makes sense that birthday wouldn't be part of the workoutDB. Once you get past the birthday screen, your old workouts are all there.

:good: Go get strong! (And remember how strong you used to be!)