[APP] Paint Now! Mobile - Mobile Drawing/Imaging Editing

Search This thread

menos

Feb 23, 2008
Hi Guys,

Here is my first contribution to the community. I have written an application that is capable of doing some basic drawing/image editing functions and hoped it is useful.

Imagine that you take some photos using your phone and want to upload them right away to your facebook. However You might want to edit/draw them before. In that case, this app might help!

Screenshots
attachment.php

Requirement:
- Windows Mobile 5.0 or better
- Reasonable amount of free ram available before running the application
- .NET CF 3.5.

Current features:

* Drawing
- Pencil
- Rectangle
- Circle
- Callout
- Text Typing
- Line
- Eye dropper
- Stample tool - e.g. for watermarking your image, Stamping icons...etc

* Image Editing
- Resize
- Crop
- Convert to B&W
- Convert to Sepia
- Rotate Left & Right
- Adjust: Brightness, Contrast, Saturation
- Filter: Sharpen
- File-type Conversion
- Undo/Redo

* Supported File Type
- JPG (By saving JPEG image, you have a possibility to limit image size - good for preparing images for uploading to some WebSite that has file size limitation)
- PNG
- BMP

Know Restriction:
- Image Editing is a memory-hungry process. You might not be able to work well with large image with very high resolution.
- In case of not enough memory, undo/redo functionality might not work well.
- Landscape mode is not supported.

Please Donate!
It was quite a lot of effort for me to develop this application. If you guys like my work, please donate! Only a few dollars can already help me a lot. Thanks!

Not sure how to embed html here. However you can donate by visiting: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=DTW8DTHSFJWBS&lc=GB

Current Version:
Donators!
Thank you very much to :
csrgiron

Attachments

• sc.jpg
    sc.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 20,509
  • PaintNowMobileCABInstaller-1.3.27.1353.CAB
    198.9 KB · Views: 5,496
Last edited:

menos

Feb 23, 2008
Change log:

1.3.26.1338 (This could be the final release, since I'm starting my new job very soon and I won't have much free time in that case. There might be an update for bug fixes, if some are found)
- Replace the right menu "Up"with "Cancel" in Open/Save file dialog for better meaning.
- Brightness
- Contrast
- Fixed some bugs
- Added Redo functionality
- More undo steps possible (depending on memory and image size), maximum 5 steps.

- Enhanced Open/Save file dialog.
- Sharpen
- Saturation
- Added an option not to use COM object to open/save file
- Added % progress indicator for long run task
- Added possibility to abort long run task

- Eye-Dropper tool
- Enable easier Fore-/Back color switching
- Fixed Pencil Tool lagging problem.
- Rearranged the tool buttons.

- Added line tool
- Change Max Zoom to 800%
- Added an option to disable Anti-Alias when displaying zoomed image.

Last edited:

menos

Feb 23, 2008
If anyone has tested it, please let me know your feedbacks.

I have only two devices I can use to test the application. It would be great to know how it behaves on other devices.

tC_Driver

Jun 23, 2009
Hey Menos,

I have been looking for a basic drawing program that I can use on my Qvga screen (wing/herald) but so far I am unable to find one that can do what I am looking for. I just caught this thread just before bed tonight so tomorrow I will try it out. In the meantime, an issue I have run across with all other paint programs thus far is anti-aliasing (AA) at full magnification. When I am zoomed in all the way, either the program itself or my wing is AA'ing everything. What I am looking for is a program similar to MSPaint where at full magnification I can draw pixel by pixel, line by line, without the blurry effect of AA. I really hope this is only a system limitation on my end so when I do decide on a new device I will be able to use this. Let me know if all portable drawing programs will do this or if you have any idea how to either change the program/settings or possible a way to disable AA on my device temporarily. As you can see from my avatar, I kill time by making pixel cars and would love to use my phone for that purpose. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Dan

menos

Feb 23, 2008
Hey Menos,

I have been looking for a basic drawing program that I can use on my Qvga screen (wing/herald) but so far I am unable to find one that can do what I am looking for. I just caught this thread just before bed tonight so tomorrow I will try it out. In the meantime, an issue I have run across with all other paint programs thus far is anti-aliasing (AA) at full magnification. When I am zoomed in all the way, either the program itself or my wing is AA'ing everything. What I am looking for is a program similar to MSPaint where at full magnification I can draw pixel by pixel, line by line, without the blurry effect of AA. I really hope this is only a system limitation on my end so when I do decide on a new device I will be able to use this. Let me know if all portable drawing programs will do this or if you have any idea how to either change the program/settings or possible a way to disable AA on my device temporarily. As you can see from my avatar, I kill time by making pixel cars and would love to use my phone for that purpose. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Dan

Hi Dan,

I would say that currently you will see AA in my application due to the drawing algorithm of gdi+ I'm using. However, yes it is possible to draw enlarged images without having AA. You can see an example, when you try to select an image for the Stample tool. If you image is smaller than the preview picture box, it should be enlarged without having AA. Let me know if this is the case for your device. If not, then it means that your device might do AA additionally.

I will add an option to next release to choose whether to enable AA for displaying enlarged images or not. Thanks for your thought!

tC_Driver

Jun 23, 2009
Menos,

Thanks for the quick response. I took your advice and tried a few things. I installed the .cab file and the first thing I noticed is the inability to search the SD card contents to open a file. After saving an image to the phone I could easily open, just an extra step. First attempt, the zoom function is nice but does not zoom in far enough to see individual pixels for alteration. I also noticed that your program lacks a straight line drawing tool. I do the majority of my drawing with the line tool, if possible, please add. After zooming into my PNG image (width 425 X height 115) I noticed that there was AA. Second attempt, I tried another PNG image (around 100 X 100) to see if a smaller image at full zoom produced the same result. It did, still AA'd at full zoom. Third attempt was using your stamp tool which I must say is a great addition to the program. This tool allowed me to see the entire PNG (100 X 100) image without AA and was able to increase the size which in turn increase the magnification after the image was stamped. Only problem, after I stamped the image, everything was anti aliased once again. I hope this helps in some way. Let me know if you need any further testing on a Qvga screen and I would be more than happy to oblige. I will keep an eye on this thread for future releases.

-Dan

menos

Feb 23, 2008
Menos,

Thanks for the quick response. I took your advice and tried a few things. I installed the .cab file and the first thing I noticed is the inability to search the SD card contents to open a file. After saving an image to the phone I could easily open, just an extra step. First attempt, the zoom function is nice but does not zoom in far enough to see individual pixels for alteration. I also noticed that your program lacks a straight line drawing tool. I do the majority of my drawing with the line tool, if possible, please add. After zooming into my PNG image (width 425 X height 115) I noticed that there was AA. Second attempt, I tried another PNG image (around 100 X 100) to see if a smaller image at full zoom produced the same result. It did, still AA'd at full zoom. Third attempt was using your stamp tool which I must say is a great addition to the program. This tool allowed me to see the entire PNG (100 X 100) image without AA and was able to increase the size which in turn increase the magnification after the image was stamped. Only problem, after I stamped the image, everything was anti aliased once again. I hope this helps in some way. Let me know if you need any further testing on a Qvga screen and I would be more than happy to oblige. I will keep an eye on this thread for future releases.

-Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your information. Yeah as I stated before, that the previous version used gdi+ to draw image and I have no control over the algorithm it uses. However, I have updated the application to have an option, not to do AA when rendering image.

Additionally I have added the line tools and increase the max zoom to 800% as requested.

For the problem that you don't find the files on you SD card, that is already known to me. This is because the default open file dialog does not look for files in all folders. (but it does if you have folder like my documents on your sd card). I am planning to create my own dialog box later.

Please try the new version and let me know if that meets your need?

tC_Driver

Jun 23, 2009
Perfect!

The additions fit my needs and hopefully the needs of your other potential end users as well. The magnification is exactly what I was looking for. It gets me in far enough to change the image one pixel at a time. I can also confirm that your AA option works perfectly. You have no idea how thrilled I was to see that my device wasn't the problem and that it was capable of seeing a raw image with the proper setting. As of right now I can also confirm that the program works perfectly on my QVGA screen. There are a few more things I would like to request, I hope you do not mind.

-Eye-dropper tool: I use this hand in hand with the line tool to pull a color from the image or a shade chart and would love it if this tool was considered for future releases.

-Eraser tool: I wonder if there is a way to use the eraser tool in a manner similar to MSPaint. In MSPaint, with both a primary and secondary color selected, one could change the primary color in the image to the secondary color by holding the right mouse key while pressing the left key over the area in need of a color change. Could this be possible while holding a soft key at the same time the tool is run over an image? Just a thought.

-Selector tool: I use this in conjunction with a copy/paste function in MSPaint to select and move pieces around as needed. Would a copy and paste function also be possible?

This is a great program already and it is still considered a beta. I am thankful for your willingness to go out of your way to accommodate my needs. I hope I didn't come off in that tone. This is the first program I have seen in development that I felt a need to support. If there is anything you need by way of testing, please do not hesitate to ask. I cannot contribute to your fund at this time but would like to offer my services for the time being. Thank you again for your quick response and even faster update.

-Dan

menos

Feb 23, 2008
Perfect!

The additions fit my needs and hopefully the needs of your other potential end users as well. The magnification is exactly what I was looking for. It gets me in far enough to change the image one pixel at a time. I can also confirm that your AA option works perfectly. You have no idea how thrilled I was to see that my device wasn't the problem and that it was capable of seeing a raw image with the proper setting. As of right now I can also confirm that the program works perfectly on my QVGA screen. There are a few more things I would like to request, I hope you do not mind.

-Eye-dropper tool: I use this hand in hand with the line tool to pull a color from the image or a shade chart and would love it if this tool was considered for future releases.

-Eraser tool: I wonder if there is a way to use the eraser tool in a manner similar to MSPaint. In MSPaint, with both a primary and secondary color selected, one could change the primary color in the image to the secondary color by holding the right mouse key while pressing the left key over the area in need of a color change. Could this be possible while holding a soft key at the same time the tool is run over an image? Just a thought.

-Selector tool: I use this in conjunction with a copy/paste function in MSPaint to select and move pieces around as needed. Would a copy and paste function also be possible?

This is a great program already and it is still considered a beta. I am thankful for your willingness to go out of your way to accommodate my needs. I hope I didn't come off in that tone. This is the first program I have seen in development that I felt a need to support. If there is anything you need by way of testing, please do not hesitate to ask. I cannot contribute to your fund at this time but would like to offer my services for the time being. Thank you again for your quick response and even faster update.

-Dan

Hi Dan,

I will add your request to my to do list. The first two shouldn't be much difficult, but for the selector, I will have to spend sometime on it.

arturobandini

Sep 23, 2008
Paris
Menos,

This is an absolutely brilliant app. :)

Thank you very much.

Would it be possible to:
- improve a litle bit the drawing function (difficult to draw some real curves. It tends to make some lines instead of curves).
- propose more colors
- improve the quality of the Icon resolution.

Thanks. I really adore your app.:)
Amazing to see it's only a beta. There is so much potential in it.

PS, for the drawing part, I use PocketPicture ( http://sites.google.com/site/osdmsoftware/pocketpicture ). it's not bad. Maybe it can help to find some ideas.

Last edited:

menos

Feb 23, 2008
Hi Guys,

Sorry for late reply, I was busy for some other stuff. Together with this post, I released the version 1.1, which has some improvement as stated in the change log.

I will have limited time to work on this app. Any comments are still welcome, but I cannot commit to work fast on them!

Birger

Mar 5, 2005
Ghent
Hi,

I installed the app, it installed fine on my HD2. I did run the program and it loaded nice, but when trying to open a image on my device, it was not responding at all, it even keeps freezing my device and a soft-reset is necessary.

I use the Energy ROm of 13 may the GTX version.

Greetings,

Birger

menos

Feb 23, 2008
Hi,

I installed the app, it installed fine on my HD2. I did run the program and it loaded nice, but when trying to open a image on my device, it was not responding at all, it even keeps freezing my device and a soft-reset is necessary.

I use the Energy ROm of 13 may the GTX version.

Greetings,

Birger

Hi Birger,

Have you tried to update the .NET CF? Here's the link from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...49-3c6b-42f1-9fd9-0041345b3385&displaylang=en

Mass13

Jul 2, 2007
when I see how my wife edits pics on her iPhone, THIS is what I need! :D

thankz!

GeitjeG

Nov 7, 2009
Rotterdam
I have got the same prob as Birger has: freezing a.s.a. I press "open" to open a file.
I also have a HD2, with a custom ROM (MIRI v10, WwM6.5.x).

I'm sure I have the newest versions of .NET FW, since I installed the newest .NET FW version to solve the batt. draining issue of the newest version of advanced home tab from c0okiemonster...

Hope this can be solved, since I think I will like the app.