[Q] Can't seem to reset S2 to stock firmware

Search This thread

santiclaws

Dec 14, 2011
Did a search, but could not find an answer to this question. Tried to change partition sizes on my phone, but obviously did something wrong. Right now, it just boots to the yellow triangle/Galaxy SII I-9100 screen (I can get it into download mode, though).

Do I actually need to have the "CUSTOM BINARY" counter to be set to "NO" in order to install the stock firmware or to root? I went through the tutorial on returning the phone to stock and is says that is what is needed for returning the thing to the store, but is it actually needed to install the stock firmware? I tried the method in one of the stickies, using I777UCKH7-CL503881-No-BL, but the Odin app says "FAIL!." I don't actually need the stock firmware, I'd be perfectly happy to root it, I just want the phone to work without having to wait for a USB jig to arrive to reset the counter.

TIA for any help.

Last edited:

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
The counter has no effect on the phone. It just provides information, presumably to AT&T or to Samsung. It is now completely irrelevant, since the phone is out of warranty.

Your problem may be related to changing partition sizes on the phone, as you describe. Not sure what you tried, but if you actually changed the partition table, then the stock firmware would probably not install. There could be other possible reasons for your issue.

santiclaws

Dec 14, 2011
The counter has no effect on the phone. It just provides information, presumably to AT&T or to Samsung. It is now completely irrelevant, since the phone is out of warranty.

Your problem may be related to changing partition sizes on the phone, as you describe. Not sure what you tried, but if you actually changed the partition table, then the stock firmware would probably not install. There could be other possible reasons for your issue.

Thanks. I figured as much. How do I try to get this thing functioning again? I've been searching on the forum for two hours but can't find anyone who had the same issue. Should I follow your guide here?

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20229527&postcount=46

Last edited:

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
I'll see what I can do to help you.

Please describe in as much detail as you can exactly what you did with your phone since it was last functioning correctly. Include you reasoning for re-partitioning and exactly how you tried to do that, as well as all steps and actions since then.

santiclaws

Dec 14, 2011
I'll see what I can do to help you.

Please describe in as much detail as you can exactly what you did with your phone since it was last functioning correctly. Include you reasoning for re-partitioning and exactly how you tried to do that, as well as all steps and actions since then.

Went here: http://techotv.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-internal-storage-apps-space-tutorial/ and followed the instructions.

Obviously, downloaded stuff for the wrong phone and pretty sure I borked the partition table. Yes, I was an idiot. Flashed all sorts of things before without an issue got too comfortable and didn't pay attention to what I was doing. Lesson learned.

After using Odin 1.85 to install the software I got, it said "PASS" , but booted me into the I9100 screen, and I got stuck there. I can get into the download screen and it shows SGH-I777, Custom Binary Download: YES (1 Count) and Current Binary: Custom.

I downloaded the one-click I777UCKH7-CL503881-No-BL and tried to install that, but I get a "FAIL" :

<ID:0/004> Added!!
<ID:0/004> Removed!!
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
<ID:0/004> Removed!!

I then downloaded the full version with the boot loader, but haven't tried installing it yet and won't unless you tell me to.

Thanks for your help.

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
As near as I can tell, the pit file only changes the balance of internal phone memory and USB memory, but does not touch the system partitions lower down. However, the pit files are built from the original I9100 partition table, and I am not sure if there are any differences between that phone's partition table and the I777. So, the good news is that you may be fine as is, or at the very least by returning the phone to the I777 pit.

The Philz CWM is actually a kernel built for the I9100, and thus the phone would not boot into system, but would get stuck on the boot screen. We should be able to get you back to working.

First thing to try is to flash a kernel using Odin. Since the only tar readily available is an old gingerbread kernel, do this:

Odin3 v1.85 is recommended.

1) Download the Tar version of Siyah 2.6.14 Kernel. Flash it in PDA. Without ticking Re-Partitioning. Also be sure to untick auto reboot so that the phone does not attempt to boot into system.

2) Pull battery to turn the phone off, then reinsert the battery and flash the Tar.md5 of the full stock Gingerbread distribution from the Download Repository, I777UCKH7 including the bootloaders and everything, in the PDA slot. This time tick the auto reboot.

Let me know if it boots into system. You may have to enter recovery and perform a wipe data/factory reset.

santiclaws

Dec 14, 2011
As near as I can tell, the pit file only changes the balance of internal phone memory and USB memory, but does not touch the system partitions lower down. However, the pit files are built from the original I9100 partition table, and I am not sure if there are any differences between that phone's partition table and the I777. So, the good news is that you may be fine as is, or at the very least by returning the phone to the I777 pit.

The Philz CWM is actually a kernel built for the I9100, and thus the phone would not boot into system, but would get stuck on the boot screen. We should be able to get you back to working.

First thing to try is to flash a kernel using Odin. Since the only tar readily available is an old gingerbread kernel, do this:

Odin3 v1.85 is recommended.

1) Download the Tar version of Siyah 2.6.14 Kernel. Flash it in PDA. Without ticking Re-Partitioning. Also be sure to untick auto reboot so that the phone does not attempt to boot into system.

2) Pull battery to turn the phone off, then reinsert the battery and flash the Tar.md5 of the full stock Gingerbread distribution from the Download Repository, I777UCKH7 including the bootloaders and everything, in the PDA slot. This time tick the auto reboot.

Let me know if it boots into system. You may have to enter recovery and perform a wipe data/factory reset.

Failed on step one.

<ID:0/003> Added!!
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

santiclaws

Dec 14, 2011
OK, tried it again, step one worked this time. On step two, the executable file brings up Odin version 1.81, and it is just boxes, there are no places to check anything. Perhaps it is not fully compatible with Win8?

I was typing the response while you responded. Here's what it looks like:
BcnAOrF.jpg

Should I still do what you suggested?

Last edited:

santiclaws

Dec 14, 2011
OK, booted into system so we're on our way it looks like. Setup wizard keeps flashing, so it is possibly scanning files? What ROM do you suggest assuming it actually boots fully?

Bought you a cup of coffee, by the way as a token of appreciation.

santiclaws

Dec 14, 2011
Ehh, nothing's easy. I keep getting error messages - setup wizard not working, google play not working, etc. etc. Can't actually do anything.

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
Thank you.

If you have problems in setup, you might try wipe data/factory reset in recovery. If that doesn't help, you might try installing the full package again using Odin 3 v1.85.

The easiest way to install custom firmware is to flash the siyah kernel again that you used in step 1, and then use CWM to install the firmware of your choice. What you flash is up to you; I use SHOstock3 v4.0, which is a good stable rom based on international stock JB.

Edit: I was about to forget that flashing siyah with Odin3 from your pc will leave you with the dreaded yellow triangle boot screen, so if you don't want to see that every time you boot your phone, you can root the phone and then use Mobile Odin lite or Mobile Odin pro to install the custom kernel.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Stock recovery is already there.

I added an edit to my previous post.
    Yes, use the tar.md5 that you have to manually put in yourself.
    Thank you.

If you have problems in setup, you might try wipe data/factory reset in recovery. If that doesn't help, you might try installing the full package again using Odin 3 v1.85.

The easiest way to install custom firmware is to flash the siyah kernel again that you used in step 1, and then use CWM to install the firmware of your choice. What you flash is up to you; I use SHOstock3 v4.0, which is a good stable rom based on international stock JB.

Edit: I was about to forget that flashing siyah with Odin3 from your pc will leave you with the dreaded yellow triangle boot screen, so if you don't want to see that every time you boot your phone, you can root the phone and then use Mobile Odin lite or Mobile Odin pro to install the custom kernel.
    Download the I777 pit from the download repository. Put the siyah kernel in PDA and the pit file in PIT. Make sure you tick repartition but untick auto reboot. If you get a pass, then flash the UCKH7 stock tar.md5 as above.