[ROM][2.3.3] Cognition 5 v2 | {4000 lockscreens, deodexed 5 times, rooted 20 times!!}

Search This thread

4-2ndtwin

Dec 18, 2010
Thanks DG for your hard work and time in this. Much appreciated. :D

Installed this ROM way early this past a.m. via the steps in the OP. Was previously running Mosaic IV. The install went flawlessly.
As for the modem issues, I tested KB1, KE3, and KF1 this morning. Mind u, that I am in a rural area and was on WCDMA 850 Band 5 at the time of these tests, but thought I would share anyway, just as a friendly fyi.
I'm sure that speeds would b better (especially the upload) if I were to b on WCDMA 1900 Band 2...sooooo, here ya go. And by the way, the number of bars that are seen in the pics are reflective of when I was inside my home and took these pics with the "shoot me" app. When I did these tests I averaged 4 bars and around -89 dBm signal strength...+ or - some I'm sure... Pics, in order from left to right, are KB1, KE3, then KF1
View attachment 633740View attachment 633741View attachment 633742

And here are some afternoon results of the UCKF1 modem speed tests that I did where I went out and made sure that I was connecting on WCDMA 1900 Band 2 just to see if there would be different outcomes. And as well, I re tested at my home again where I was connecting on WCDMA 850 Band 5 to see if the test would prove better than this mornings.---and it did on the Upload speed at least. Of course once again, these are my results and everyone else's may vary. But just wanted to post as a fyi reference.
First pic on the left is the retest on wcdma 850 at my home and the 2nd pic is the test on 1900, which I was connecting around -67 dBm + or - some...
These last two result pics look as though that is how this I897UCKF1 modem is going to perform on average for me..."ymmv" :D

View attachment 633734View attachment 633735

Last edited:
Reactions: BigBen

shinji257

You don't need Beta1.

To make it even more clear:

1. Download Cog kernel and Beta2 zips
2. Put Beta2.zip on the phone
3. Odin back to stock eclair (JF6)
4. Odin to KF1
5. Odin/Heimdall/SGS Kernel Flasher to Cog Kernel
6. Boot into CWM Recovery and flash Beta 2.

Not really all that complicated once you get into it.

Skip step 3. If you are going to Odin to KF1 it's going to wipe it anyways. The rest would be right though. I personally used Odin to flash the Cog kernel.

tbong777

Hey, 10% sounds very normal. As Haloruler wrote, his result is insane. I don't doubt his results, but it is really unusual. I think he must give off some sort of "halo" that charges his Cappy :D

Anyway, I think battery recalibrating is "overrated." Take that statement for what it's worth, but I have flashed ROMs (present one included) at much less than 100% battery and move right on, no funky battery phenomena, none of that stuff.

I agree. I have always flashed ROMs with whatever battery life I have left in the phone. After a few cycles battery life evens out everything's fine. Plus I keep one in a charger always charged up as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA Premium App

Last edited:

Cdub5

Apr 16, 2011
Anyone's cappy running hotter than before with this rom? I got two phones running this and they seem to get hotter when using than they did before. Also, everyone who is getting "Amazing" batt life, is that on wifi or 3g? Just activated data for the first time today and my battery life dropped drastically. I know batt drain is to be expected on 3g, but my battery lost 40%+ in about 6 hrs. Its this others results/normal? I did a battery pull, and that didn't help. I usually deactivate 3g, usually on wifi. Is this all the modems fault?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

AtariBorn

Jul 8, 2010
Damn search!

Is anyone else having trouble with TV out? All I'm getting is scrambled bar at the top of the screen.

bornjamerican

Mar 3, 2011
@ miztaken1312
The method I'm suggesting is for those that have problems using full Odin and don't want to bother with PDA, CSC, PHONE, and etc files. For those that have no issues using full Odin, then yes you are correct.

Last edited:

vunuts

May 20, 2010
Virginia Beach, Va.
I too have LPP and I just spammed my Home button about 25 or so times, and didn't have it ask me what launcher I wanted to use.

For anyone still having this issue, select whatever launcher you want to use, then go into titanium backup and freeze the launchers you want to remain inactive. Easy way to eliminate that default box popping up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA Premium App

snorkle

Dec 6, 2008
Umm I know this is going to sound nooby but how do you get cwm recovery? I used Odin and installed the tar file and when I go into recovery its the stock android one..Idk why I can't get it to replace

kingtz

Dec 4, 2010
Los Angeles
Flashed to Cog5b2 last night and so far everything's been super snappy. Menus and options open up almost instantaneously and everything just seems much more responsive (compared to cog4.5.3).

Now for the cons in the hope that it will aid DG in troubleshooting and making this great ROM even better:
Battery life doesn't seem as great. I unplugged my phone from the charger at around 10:30am and now at nearly 5:30pm, I'm already down to 60%. I've only been doing light browsing, using the xda app, listening to music with winamp and updated a few apps in Market. I've had GPS off, wifi on.

Also had a crash(?) today with PvZ. After I exited the game, the phone went back to the homescreen and promptly rebooted on its own. Not sure what happened there.

I also can't wait for Voodoo sound to be implemented into 5b3. I use 320kbs mp3s and noticed a degradation in sound quality after using voodoo sound in 4.5.3 and then using what ever stock sound in 5b2.

All in all, I'm really liking this ROM and am glad that DG is working on GB!

daverup

Apr 4, 2008
Umm I know this is going to sound nooby but how do you get cwm recovery? I used Odin and installed the tar file and when I go into recovery its the stock android one..Idk why I can't get it to replace

How are you attempting to get to recovery? Did you get the GB bootloaders fixed first via Odin to KF1?
You could try SGS kernel flasher to install the kernel tar file.

tbong777

Anyone's cappy running hotter than before with this rom? I got two phones running this and they seem to get hotter when using than they did before. Also, everyone who is getting "Amazing" batt life, is that on wifi or 3g? Just activated data for the first time today and my battery life dropped drastically. I know batt drain is to be expected on 3g, but my battery lost 40%+ in about 6 hrs. Its this others results/normal? I did a battery pull, and that didn't help. I usually deactivate 3g, usually on wifi. Is this all the modems fault?

7 hours 40% left Wifi most of the time. 45 minutes music.

MAPS using the most...18% Display next 16%

grinr

Jul 19, 2010
Ok, I'm asking the dumb question. I Odined this guy as per step one, now I'm at what appears to be a stock Gingerbread Captivate. I no longer have root, so I can't use the SGS Kernel Flasher and apparently my old update.zip (as per "how to install roms" page) doesn't work as it's not authorized?

How do I root this?

frankdogg

Jul 31, 2010
Louisiana
Ok, I'm asking the dumb question. I Odined this guy as per step one, now I'm at what appears to be a stock Gingerbread Captivate. I no longer have root, so I can't use the SGS Kernel Flasher and apparently my old update.zip (as per "how to install roms" page) doesn't work as it's not authorized?

How do I root this?

What recovery do you have?

jeremytanner

Oct 3, 2010

How do I root this?

Next step would be to use the Odin tool (or Hiemdall) to flash the CogKernel. From there you can boot into recovery.

Reactions: grinr

Cdub5

Apr 16, 2011
I was just curious cuz my phone sat in my pocket for most of the time, I made 2 short phone calls and that's it. That caused 40% batt drain? Referring to my post and the two following a couple above this one. Never this bad with 3g deactivated, but that kinda sucks if I have to always deactivate network.

grinr

Jul 19, 2010
Next step would be to use the Odin tool (or Hiemdall) to flash the CogKernel. From there you can boot into recovery.

I take it Odin has a standalone version - I was trying to figure out how to use 1-step and I guess that makes me noob of the hour. Downloading Odin 1.83 now... that should set me up? Will the cogkernel root me as well?

jeremytanner

Oct 3, 2010
I take it Odin has a standalone version - I was trying to figure out how to use 1-step and I guess that makes me noob of the hour. Downloading Odin 1.83 now... that should set me up? Will the cogkernel root me as well?

Yes. Just download the .tar kernel and Odin 1.83. The kernel is flashed through the PDA slot. All the other options should already be set, but just to be sure, make sure Repartition is NOT checked. :)

Reactions: grinr

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Cognition 5

Come Chat With Us!

Features:
    Based on I897UCKF1
    Rooted / Deodexed / Insecure Kernel (adbd always root)
    ClockworkMod Recovery v4.0.1.4
    Rom Manager OTA Support
    Accurate Battery Mod
    Extended Power Options
    Tethering Enabled (Usb & Wifi)
    Disabled Battery Full Sound/Notification/Vibration
    SIP calling enabled
    Added Stay Awake Option (Settings > Applications > Development)
    Added Default Install Location (Settings > Applications)
    Hardened Against Ads, Anonymous Stats Collection, Malware...
    Init.d Support
    Enabled TV Off Animation (removes smooth brightness transitions)
    Removed "Press Here..." Text From Empty Launcher Pages
    Removed Bloatware
    Custom Wallpaper
    Custom Launcher Layout
    Lock Screen Sounds Enabled
    Unknown Sources Enabled By Default
    Removed AT&T Boot Animation
    Removed Boot Sound
    Removed Shutdown Sound
    Removed from rom, install-able via Cog Apps Installer:
    Facebook
    Flash Player
    Gmail
    Google Docs
    Google Maps
    Google Search
    Google Voice
    Rom Manager (Premium)
    Street View on Google Maps
    Titanium Backup (Pro)
    Twitter
    Voice Search
    Youtube

Cognition 5 v2 Changelog (8/9/2011)
    FULL WIPE
    Full EXT4 Conversion (Voodoo Lagfix without the Voodoo)
    FujuTweaks (like FuguTweaks, but 2.3.5, custom built app_process & system_server)
    Updated ClockworkMod Recovery to 4.0.1.4
    Juwe11's RAM Optimization's
    Added App Widget Picker
    Added new market

Cognition 5 v1.00 Changelog (7/18/2011)
    No Wipe Full Install (wipe data only if you have issues)
    Custom boot animation support

Cognition 5 Beta 3 Changelog (6/29/2011)
    FULL WIPE
    Google Talk w/Audio & Video chat
    Hacked Camera (Power Takes Picture, any battery level, thanks to rafalense)
    Removed power options header

Cognition 5 Beta 2 Changelog (6/20/2011)
    FULL WIPE
    ClockworkMod Recovery v4.0.0.5
    Rom Manager OTA Support (not in rom manager yet)
    /sbin cleanup script (fixes busybox issues and some other crazy stuff)
    SIP enabled (thanks to stangri for the tip!)
    Remove boot sound (for real this time)
    Remove AT&T boot animation (for real this time)
    Remove shutdown sound (for real this time)

Download:
    Step1:
    (You need to be on samsung captivate gingerbread, if you are, skip to step 2)
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1127249

Step2:
    Flash the new v2 kernel via clockworkmod recovery:
    Download: http://www.ponack.net/designgears/roms/cognition/Cognition5-v2-initial-kernel.zip
    Or with Odin/Heimdal:
    Download: http://www.ponack.net/designgears/roms/cognition/Cognition5-v2-initial-kernel.tar

WARNING: the button layout in recovery has changed.
    volume rocker is up and down, power is back, home is select.

Step 3:
    Flash the full rom via ClockworkMod Recovery. (not from rom manager!)
    Download: http://ponack.net/designgears/roms/cognition/Cognition5-v2.zip

If you are having problems flashing the rom, check this out!
    Instillation / Flash Instructions for Cognition 5 v2

I had a few issues while flashing Cognition 5 v2, but I figured them out, so here is my foolproof flash / instillation method:

1. Fully charge phone
    2. Remove SIM card and memory card from phone
    3. Place phone in download mode (I used the USB jig)
    4. Start “Odin 2.1”
    5. Connect phone to computer (using USB)
    6. Click “Start” in “Odin 2.1” to revert the phone to Android 2.1 (stock)
    7. Disconnect phone from computer (When process is complete)
    8. Place phone in USB debugging mode
    9. Connect phone to computer
    10. Click “Master Clear” in “Odin 2.1” to clear the phones memory
    11. Disconnect phone from computer (When process is complete)
    12. Place phone in download mode
    13. Start “Odin 2.3”
    14. Connect phone to computer
    15. Click “Start” in “Odin 2.3” to update the phone to Android 2.3
    16. Disconnect phone from computer (When process is complete)
    17. Connect phone to computer and enter mass storage mode
    18. Copy “Cognition 5 v2.zip” to phone, stop mass storage mode, and disconnect phone from computer
    19. Place phone in download mode
    20. Run “Odin Loader,” load “Cognition 5 v2 initial kernel” to PDA slot, and uncheck “automatically reboot”
    21. Connect phone to computer
    22. Click “Start” in “Odin Loader”
    23. Disconnect phone from computer (When process is complete)
    24. Remove and replace battery in phone
    25. Enter recovery mode (click and hold volume up, volume down, and power buttons)
    26. Navigate in Clockworkmod Recovery using up and down volume key to move, home button to select, and power button to go back
    27. Select “wipe storage” and allow to complete
    28. Select “wipe cache” and allow to complete
    29. Select “install zip from SD card” and navigate to “Cognition 5 v2.zip” and allow to complete
    30. Select “shut off phone”
    31. Remove battery, install SIM card and memory card, and replace battery
    32. Start the phone
    33. Enjoy!

Sorry about the ridiculous number of repetitive and assumed steps, but I was trying to make it as foolproof as possible.

Here is the link for a .zip file with all of the files mentioned in my instructions: (http)://dl.dropbox.com/u/13224352/Cognition%20Instructions.zip

*Remove parentheses to use the link
    ** :( On 9/18/11 DropBox temporarily suspended my link for 3 days for "generating excessive traffic." So it should be back up on 9/21/11.
    Looks like we have KH3 and KH4, I haven't seen KH4 links yet, waiting on those before I rebase, but it will be soon!!
    Cognition 5 v2 is LIVE!
    Changelog is in the OP! Check out the ads on the download page or just email me beeer or caffeine!

Atomic Fusion has been given permission to use the ext4 stuff and kernel!! Please don't report him, again!
    Here is my experience going from Cog 4.5.3 to Cog5v2

Windows 7 64bit / Captivate I897 early version phone from 07-18-2010

1) Download Files
    a) from Step 1 - D/L files from the Link in step 1
    - I897UCKF1-1-Click-odin
    - Odin v1.81
    b) from Step 2 - D/L Initial Cog Kernel zip Odin version
    c) From Step 3 - D/L Cog5v2 CWM Flashable ROM

2) Prep my Phone
    - TiBu all user apps and data
    - Connect phone to PC and copy all files from internal SD and External SD to my HD

3) Update Phone
    3.1) Start Odin 1 click application
    3.2) put phone into D/L mode
    3.3) plug phone into PC
    3.4) Hit the start button on the 1 click odin
    3.5) set the phone down and wait until it comes back up with the Gingerbread start screen
    3.6) close odin 1-click
    3.7) unplug phone from pc
    3.8) Turn usb debugging on in phone menu
    3.9) Launch Odin v1.8.1
    3.10) put Cogv5 initial kernel into PDA slot
    3.11) Put the phone into D/L mode
    3.12) Start the kernel flash using Odin v1.8.1
    -----At this point the phone got stuck on the AT&T screen but I still had ADB access
    3.13) adb reboot recovery the phone should reboot into CWM Recovery
    3.14) adb push Cog5v2 to the internal storage
    3.15) Use CWMR to install the Cog5v2 update package
    3.16) Let the update complete and let the phone reboot
    3.17) Fully working Cog5v2

your experience may vary but this is exactly how I updated my phone from Cogv4.5.3

I hope this helps someone.