Free sim unlock solution possible?

Search This thread

Don57

Apr 17, 2012
Interesting... That does make sense, but, unfortunately, requires the phone to be rooted first, which is an inherently dangerous task for people who are just looking to unlock and not root their phone. An unlock code costs only $8 online anyway.

Still, very interesting. Thanks for posting this!

Theoriginalgiga

Nov 22, 2010
Sacramento
I know I was able to unlock my sensation 4g for free using this method..surely the sim unlock code has to be stored on the device itself because it cannot ping ATT servers if service is unavailable because a different sim has been inserted.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1232107
anyone smart able to chime in on this?

Though I can't really comment on if an unlock trick like would work, I do recall a while back there was a statement made by AT&T saying that if you've had your account in good standing for 3 months, they'll issue an unlock code to you no questions asked.

might be a route to try.

Reactions: area4689

sweetboy02125

Aug 16, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Though I can't really comment on if an unlock trick like would work, I do recall a while back there was a statement made by AT&T saying that if you've had your account in good standing for 3 months, they'll issue an unlock code to you no questions asked.

might be a route to try.

Not for the Note, ATT will release unlock code for good standing account in August. 6 months for the Note. Call almost 8 CSs and they all said that

poopymt3g

Oct 12, 2010
Yeah I am a tmobile customer and bought a note from a friend on ATT they wouldnt give him the unlock code until 3 months after purchase..I saw some pretty bad reviews on the $8 dollar site..i should have my note soon so ill tinker around with it for a bit and if i fail ill pay the 25 bucks to unlock it..

Last edited:

kimtyson

Oct 30, 2006
York, Pa
LeEco Le 2
I used a similar unlock trick to unlock a cheap Samsung Dart (Mini) I got. It used the /dev/block and I forget the rest of it. Then using a Hex editor I just searched for the 8 digit unlock code. I bet something similar would work for the Note.

Skizzy034

Mar 10, 2010
Amsterdam, NY
www.facebook.com
Interesting... That does make sense, but, unfortunately, requires the phone to be rooted first, which is an inherently dangerous task for people who are just looking to unlock and not root their phone. An unlock code costs only $8 online anyway.

Still, very interesting. Thanks for posting this!

Rooting is not inherently dangerous. It's these types of posts that scare off people from the rooting community. This seems like it would work pretty good for some people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA

Don57

Apr 17, 2012
Rooting is not inherently dangerous.
IMO, any simple action which could instantly turn one's phone into a very expensive paperweight through no fault of one's own is pretty dangerous. Add on top of that all the foreknowledge that must go into rooting a phone without error and things get even more dangerous.

I suppose we can agree to disagree, but until the tools to root phones become foolproof, I would never ever consider recommending someone who is not somewhat tech savvy to root their phone.

It's these types of posts that scare off people from the rooting community.

Again, IMO (and this is not directed at you) it's the attitude of many people on this site that scares people away from the rooting community. It's disheartening to see how often people are insulted on this forum just because they are trying to learn something. Again, not directed at you; just an observation of someone who is new to the forums and has read many threads...

tenderchkn

Feb 12, 2012
IMO, any simple action which could instantly turn one's phone into a very expensive paperweight through no fault of one's own is pretty dangerous. Add on top of that all the foreknowledge that must go into rooting a phone without error and things get even more dangerous.

I suppose we can agree to disagree, but until the tools to root phones become foolproof, I would never ever consider recommending someone who is not somewhat tech savvy to root their phone.

Rooting is not inherently dangerous, as already stated above, and it is nearly impossible to hard brick your phone. If one does manage to hard brick their phone, it can't be said that it was achieved through no fault of their own, because it would take a concerted effort, or blatant disregard for safety, to achieve this. Even soft bricks are exceedingly rare if you simply follow directions.

Of course, it goes without saying that people who don't know what they are doing should not be messing with their devices. There are warnings on the top of every ROM/kernel/root/recovery thread telling you that you WILL brick if you do something wrong. But it's not like rooting or flashing custom ROMs is rocket science. All the hard work has already been done. All that is required from the end user is carefully read the instructions.

Reactions: area4689

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know I was able to unlock my sensation 4g for free using this method..surely the sim unlock code has to be stored on the device itself because it cannot ping ATT servers if service is unavailable because a different sim has been inserted.

might be a route to try.

Rooting is not inherently dangerous, as already stated above, and it is nearly impossible to hard brick your phone. If one does manage to hard brick their phone, it can't be said that it was achieved through no fault of their own, because it would take a concerted effort, or blatant disregard for safety, to achieve this. Even soft bricks are exceedingly rare if you simply follow directions.

Of course, it goes without saying that people who don't know what they are doing should not be messing with their devices. There are warnings on the top of every ROM/kernel/root/recovery thread telling you that you WILL brick if you do something wrong. But it's not like rooting or flashing custom ROMs is rocket science. All the hard work has already been done. All that is required from the end user is carefully read the instructions.