Smartwatches - do I need a sim

Search This thread

wareynolds

Oct 8, 2008
Can someone clarify something. There are a lot of the phones out there that use a use a GSM sim. I do not plan on using a watch as a phone as I do not want to pay for another monthly fee. I need something that will work as a watch and alert me/vibrate when I get an alert as my hearing is not the best (and phone vibration in pocket does not always get my attention). The pebble does this, but is sort of boring/limited. The Gear is way to expensive and the Sony smartwatch2 is a little pricey.

I am unclear if these other ones like the smartQ and the ZGPAX will work for me if I do not use the built in cellular. Are there other options under $150usd that I should consider?

Thanks

Walt

at2smithjason

Feb 16, 2012
Washington
I do believe that if the smartwatch runs off GSM that a SIM would be required, unless it syncs off your phone using Bluetooth. For the watches that are stand alone units, thats when I would have to say that a SIM is required. If you look at the Neptune Pine, it asks what service do you want (GSM or CDMA).

ronfurro

Oct 24, 2013
O-Town
My advice would be to give it a couple of months as this tech. starts to trickle out of CES and hit the shelves. There are tons of models rolling out that will fit your needs, this is quickly becoming a saturated market. I had a chance to play with some and most of the good ones have what your looking and even more, if your willing to pay more. Seems that most are trying to hit a common price point, so there will be many options.