Siyah kernel 3.1RC6 and BRICKED GALAXY S2

Search This thread

Breaksomeoff

Apr 22, 2012
Sounds like a terrible brick, you have my sympathy.

Sadly, this is the time we live in. Due to the complexity of our devices, more and more things are getting bricked via unofficial flashing of software. I myself had a £200 device turn into a paperweight about 7 years ago, it's a horrible feeling.

If you update immediately on anything unofficial then you are taking risk, no matter who has done the update. I stayed on 3.1rc5 as I always look at changelog and give it a day. I noticed blnww was removed and didn't want to lose it, but this could of easily happened to anyone and I hope you get a resolution soon.

qqqqqq0

Mar 7, 2012
Same experience here btw, hardbricked my phone. I dont consider myself to be a noob, and I tried basically everything that is possible. adb recovery, my jtag, eventually ended up replacing the motherboard. Now my phone is working great again. The main problem was. Samsung warrenty center i send it to initially told me it was not working due to water damage. After getting a second opinion from a friend I knew they where lying about this. No waterdamage whatsoever, just a non responsive motherboard.

Replacing the motherboard is not very hard, but you need a steady hand and some tools. If you are not sure you can do it i would recommend just paying a service center to do it. the 50 euros i saved by doing it myself may not be worth losing your warranty for most people.
be careful

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
I AM able to get into recovery,
Flashed pit by itself
Flashed KI3 (it failed fullout this time, not just stopped)
Flashed Rogue Recovery 1.1
Did adb, this happened
Rogue recovery - I'm guessing you're on an Epic 4G Touch?

That's interesting - it looks like your partition table is hosed up, it thinks that many of those partitions are 0 length. Cache is good, the rest are screwy. I'll come up with some additional commands to try tonight.

Sounds like internal voltage/power to the eMMC chip also get changed with "factory reset" code that can cause eMMC chip broken.
Otherwise its impossible for a software to kill the hardware.

I thought it was the bootloader that got corrupted so the device can't even flash any firmware properly.
Originally gokhan and I were leaning towards voltage regulator stuff, but I think it's something else.

Samsung set MMC_CAP_ERASE in the MMC driver of the kernel for some devices - confirmed for Korean M250* devices. It may be that some eMMC chips don't like this feature and get fried.

IMHO the Siyah not to blame, it could happen with any other kernel ... unless we take risks we must leave the phone's original factory and we will never have problems. If we want something more than the original product, then we must accept and assume any risks.
In fact it is happening with many other kernels:
Any ICS leak for Epic 4G Touch (Sprint GSII)
Any ICS leak for Galaxy Note
The UCLD3 ICS leak for AT&T Galaxy S II
Apparently Korean M250* kernels (due to language barrier, we often don't hear about these until there's a reason to do serious digging) - These are the only ones where there is source to analyze.

I9100 users need to realize how lucky they are that this is the ONLY device with Exynos that didn't receive dangerous ICS kernels, even in the leak phase.

I think Samsung is aware of the issue and trying to solve it - see: https://github.com/Entropy512/kernel_galaxys2_ics/commit/d069cc5cb9f0fd9409ea10d4037e4c0e68701b8e - they disabled TRIM which is a relative of ERASE. Unfortunately they left ERASE in - I think this is the cause of the issue.

Those who are softbricked:
Code:
cat /sys/devices/platform/dw_mmc/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0:0001/name
in a shell
Gokhan has VYL00M, as do I in my Note (haven't checked my 777 yet) - he's actually done multiple wipes with the "bad" kernel without issues.

Also, to those talking about repartitioning - you would need to do it using a PIT file in Odin. However I think more data needs to be collected first - I'll have some more commands to run tonight.

Last edited:

kamesam

Apr 26, 2012
Help with Galaxy S2 i9100 "softbricked"!!

Code:

Hi,

I got the "softbrick" I guess. I can flash kernels, bootloaders and firmwares without /data, with .PIT or without it. But when I try to wipe data or flash a firmware that goes through data, then I got stuck (GB or ICS - doesn't matter). Either with Odin or CWM. All buttons still operational so I can still get to download mode or recovery.
Can you please provide more details on

What exactly it will do?
Do we need to run it through ADB (In this case, can you point me to some references in the forum on how to use it for this purpose)? Do we need to be root?

Thanks in advance,

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Hi,

I got the "softbrick" I guess. I can flash kernels, bootloaders and firmwares without /data, with .PIT or without it. But when I try to wipe data or flash a firmware that goes through data, then I got stuck (GB or ICS - doesn't matter). Either with Odin or CWM. All buttons still operational so I can still get to download mode or recovery.
Can you please provide more details on

What exactly it will do?
Do we need to run it through ADB (In this case, can you point me to some references in the forum on how to use it for this purpose)? Do we need to be root?

Thanks in advance,
In an ADB shell - and doing that command pulls the identification of your flash chip - I'm wondering of those who softbricked have a different chip than gokhan does.

kamesam

Apr 26, 2012
In an ADB shell - and doing that command pulls the identification of your flash chip - I'm wondering of those who softbricked have a different chip than gokhan does.

I tried to ADB to the S2 but it's not recognizing the device. It says 'error: device not found'. I am able to ADB to another Samsung device (i5500) though, but not to my S2. I don't know much of ADB. What am I doing wrong here?

That's interesting - it looks like your partition table is hosed up, it thinks that many of those partitions are 0 length. Cache is good, the rest are screwy. I'll come up with some additional commands to try tonight.

Originally gokhan and I were leaning towards voltage regulator stuff, but I think it's something else.

Samsung set MMC_CAP_ERASE in the MMC driver of the kernel for some devices - confirmed for Korean M250* devices. It may be that some eMMC chips don't like this feature and get fried.

Apparently Korean M250* kernels (due to language barrier, we often don't hear about these until there's a reason to do serious digging) - These are the only ones where there is source to analyze.

I9100 users need to realize how lucky they are that this is the ONLY device with Exynos that didn't receive dangerous ICS kernels, even in the leak phase.

I think Samsung is aware of the issue and trying to solve it - see: https://github.com/Entropy512/kernel_galaxys2_ics/commit/d069cc5cb9f0fd9409ea10d4037e4c0e68701b8e - they disabled TRIM which is a relative of ERASE. Unfortunately they left ERASE in - I think this is the cause of the issue.

Code:
in a shell
Gokhan has VYL00M, as do I in my Note (haven't checked my 777 yet) - he's actually done multiple wipes with the "bad" kernel without issues.

Also, to those talking about repartitioning - you would need to do it using a PIT file in Odin. However I think more data needs to be collected first - I'll have some more commands to run tonight.

I got something on the net, are they the same explanation for those TRIM/ERASE commands that mentioned in your github (https://github.com/Entropy512/kernel_galaxys2_ics/commit/d069cc5cb9f0fd9409ea10d4037e4c0e68701b8e)?

What's the difference between TRIM and ERASE command?
I'm really curious, how come an erase/trim command can fries the chip...

Thanks..

Cheers,
Crescendo

Code:
SDHCI host controller has TRIM/ERASE capability, enable these caps for erasing
purpose.

ERASE command needs R1B response. So for such command with busy signal, before
sending command, SDHCI host driver will simply set a maximum value for timeout
control register which is safe to use.

Signed-off-by: Chuanxiao Dong <chuanxiao.dong@intel.com>

drivers/mmc/host/sdhci.c | 16 +++++++++++--
1 files changed, 11 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)

diff --git a/drivers/mmc/host/sdhci.c b/drivers/mmc/host/sdhci.c
index 655617c..fe7cbd0 100644
a/drivers/mmc/host/sdhci.c
+++ b/drivers/mmc/host/sdhci.c
@@ -41,7 +41,6 @@

static unsigned int debug_quirks = 0;

-static void sdhci_prepare_data(struct sdhci_host *, struct mmc_data *);
static void sdhci_finish_data(struct sdhci_host *);

static void sdhci_send_command(struct sdhci_host *, struct mmc_command *);
@@ -652,16 +651,23 @@ static void sdhci_set_transfer_irqs(struct sdhci_host *host)
sdhci_clear_set_irqs(host, dma_irqs, pio_irqs);
}

-static void sdhci_prepare_data(struct sdhci_host *host, struct mmc_data *data)
+static void sdhci_prepare_data(struct sdhci_host *host, struct mmc_command *cmd)
{
u8 count;
u8 ctrl;
+	struct mmc_data *data = cmd->data;
int ret;

WARN_ON(host->data);

-	if (data == NULL)
+	if (data == NULL) {
+	 /*
+	 * set timeout to be maximum value for command with busy signal.
+	 */
+	 if (cmd->flags & MMC_RSP_BUSY)
+	 sdhci_writeb(host, 0xE, SDHCI_TIMEOUT_CONTROL);
return;
+	}

/* Sanity checks */
BUG_ON(data->blksz * data->blocks > 524288);
@@ -921,7 +927,7 @@ static void sdhci_send_command(struct sdhci_host *host, struct mmc_command *cmd)

host->cmd = cmd;

-	sdhci_prepare_data(host, cmd->data);
+	sdhci_prepare_data(host, cmd);

sdhci_writel(host, cmd->arg, SDHCI_ARGUMENT);

@@ -1939,7 +1945,7 @@ int sdhci_add_host(struct sdhci_host *host)
mmc->f_min = host->max_clk / SDHCI_MAX_DIV_SPEC_200;

mmc->f_max = host->max_clk;
-	mmc->caps |= MMC_CAP_SDIO_IRQ;
+	mmc->caps |= MMC_CAP_SDIO_IRQ | MMC_CAP_ERASE;

/*
* A controller may support 8-bit width, but the board itself

drakester09

Jan 10, 2012

Code:
in a shell

Just FYI, I have VYL00M on my i777

Luckily I did not flash the ATT leak nor we had a rc6 for I777.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

pejmany

May 16, 2010

No, the Bell Galaxy S II (i9100m), white, if it helps.
It seems like the i777 and i9100m may be different, still don't know though.
I tried out the cat command, got

Code:
N:\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell
~ # cat /sys/devices/platform/dw_mmc/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0:0001/name
cat: can't open '/sys/devices/platform/dw_mmc/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0:0001/name': No
such file or directory
~ #

Then again, I may have just done it wrong :/ Open to retries :p
And yeah, in my thread I figured it was partition table, I asked if there's a way to rewrite mbr if I can get the partition data from another gsii
If that ^ makes no sense, I hope you got the idea of what I was going for, cause I'm not too bright definition wise xD

EDIT: should i try reflashing ki3 again before doing the cat?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    release candidate = not final = beta = not fully tested =still bugs = bricked = bug = because still beta= your own risk = your fault. Hope this helps.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
    This is one of those unfortunate incidents development efforts revealed such a result, which seems a bug in Samsung official kernel is causing it in one of the latest updates. Any developer, other than Gökhan, could have used the same sources for his kernel and got a similar result.

this is exactly what happened.

I used M250(S/L/K) sources as base. that device has the same specs as our device.

I flash the kernel to my device and then upload. but there is no way that I can test/review Samsung's official kernel sources in every detail. I always avoid changes which can harm our devices but the problem is not caused by a change made by me.

The same problem occurred with other devices which use exynos4 such as galaxy note, i777 and korean variants. we are just lucky that our stock kernel doesn't have that problem or everybody using cfroot would be having the same problem. other devices had the same problem and people were blaming improper packing of cwm recovery because there was no other change in the kernel image (it was not compiled), until we had the same problem by changing only the Samsung base.

In other words, if you download and compile the official ICS sources for korean variant from Samsung's site and pack it with CWM Recovery, you will have the same problem. I doubt it happens only on high I/O load.

although there is no proof of that some of us think that it only occurs if you use old gingerbread bootloader to be able to use jig to reset binary counter.

I feel terribly bad for those who had that problem and I am very sorry for what happened. I wish I had a solution for that.
    I wish there was a way for me to foreseen that problem or test but there wasn't.
    I understand that people who had their devices bricked are angry and think that the problem is caused by me. In a way, they are right, it was my existence which made that problem occur. However, I want to restate that it was not caused by any of my changes and it was not my intention to brick your devices.
    I hope Service Center's will fix the problem.
    The thing shocked me more than siyah kernel's bug is that how easy brickable our SGS2s are!

I want to make something clear again: it was not siyahkernel's bug, but it was samsung update5 source's bug. since I rebased my sources on update5 sources with v3.1rc6 some people had this problem.
    that bug was in siyahkernel's v3.1rc6 and that kernel is already removed and I have uploaded another rc6 which is based on update4 sources.

I feel bad and I am sorry. However, I am not sorry because of a bug that I made but I am sorry because phones are bricked because of that problem. I am almost 100% sure that the problem which bricked phones is caused by Samsung's mistake or otherwise I would completely stop releasing new kernels.

you may choose not to use siyahkernel again and choose one of the available several high-school kiddie's work which are usually just a blind mix of other kernels but that will not make your device any safer because most kernels have very similar patches/code.

there was only one way that I could avoid that problem in rc6 and that would be to say in several threads that "wow, update5 base rocks, but I have no time to rebase my sources on it" and wait for somebody else do it before me.. then I would wait and see if there were any problems.... if I did that the result would be different but there would again be some bricks.. it wouldn't be you or siyahkernel users but it would be some other kernel's users...
    If you blame me more than Samsung in this matter I won't (and can't) stop you but I don't think it is fair.
    two weeks ago i disliked arrogance as much as i do today....!!!!Never heard of a kernel so much or any damage like this guys work.A new motherboard is just 1 of the 3 major parts they had to change.YOU dont know me from adam boy,so how can you say what i was PROBABLY doing to weeks ago.idiot.

I was not thinking about answering your previous post but this one deserves an answer.

idiot? considering your attitude and narrow-minded approach, it seems that your mind is bricked way before than your device. and I am sorry for you that it is not possible to replace your brain. I advise you to find someone to plug you a jtag, in whatever way you like, maybe it will help you relax...
    On 22.4.2012 many people bricked their S2 while performing full wipe having Siyah kernel 3.1RC6.
    What disappointed me is the update on development coming from developer in real hurry these days.
    Developer need to test their development 1000 times before releasing it to users.
    As a rule only we the user are responsible flashed kernel knowing the risk of RCs and BETAs.
    We can't blame developer for this disaster
    This thread is for those who bricked S2 and now are in process to recover their devices.
    As a general habit, posts on bricked devices can be avoided easily by fan boys.
    So now we need to help each other in the process of device recovery.
    Please discuss here, what you are doing, any fix whether you found or not.

Thanks
    Kachrukamble